Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I see the PG27UQ offered for sale at ~ 3k USD. Unknown delivery date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

wolrah posted:

There are also a lot of us who have last-gen GPUs which are reaching the end of their useful lives but don't want to pay what's basically full launch price for a two year old card.

No kidding. I'm on a Radeon 7950 man

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
27,648 GV100s
9,216 POWER 9s
200 Petaflops DP
3 Exaops
15 MW

:stare:

https://twitter.com/NVIDIADC/status/1005133208843776000?s=19

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
At last, a machine for 144Hz 8K gaming is here!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaxxBot posted:

27,648 GV100s
9,216 POWER 9s
200 Petaflops DP
3 Exaops
15 MW

once it finishes mining all the bitcoin it will be broken down into consumer gpu's.
This is the new business model

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PCIe 4.0 too

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

27,648 GV100s
9,216 POWER 9s
200 Petaflops DP
3 Exaops
15 MW

Fauxtool posted:

once it finishes mining all the bitcoin it will be broken down into consumer gpu's.
This is the new business model

You could probably get close to a 51% attack on Bitcoin with this thing alone :haw:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It pulls even more power than the 28core Intel demo

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

celewign posted:

No kidding. I'm on a Radeon 7950 man

I have a 7870 which hangs and freezes on anything more intense than Stardew.

Granted I sold a 1070 at the top of the bubble for a $300 profit, after six months of use, so I guess this is my comeuppance. :negative:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
my 7870 is still going just fine :smug: (on year+ old games, which are the only ones I can still play)

I'm less optimistic about its chances if it has to make it through another straight year though...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MaxxBot posted:

27,648 GV100s
9,216 POWER 9s
200 Petaflops DP
3 Exaops
15 MW

Can it run Crysis on high?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Can it outmine Vega?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This got buried in all the Computex news, but Nvidia has released a tool to update the firmware on desktop cards to solve DisplayPort issues:

https://techreport.com/news/33781/nvidia-releases-firmware-fix-for-boot-issues-with-newer-displayport-monitors

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This got buried in all the Computex news, but Nvidia has released a tool to update the firmware on desktop cards to solve DisplayPort issues:

https://techreport.com/news/33781/nvidia-releases-firmware-fix-for-boot-issues-with-newer-displayport-monitors

Used it a couple days ago to update my 1070. Here's hoping it stops my acer monitor (x271hu) from doing that weird thing where there's a line of pixels somewhere in the middle getting offset to the very right end of the screen. Happens randomly but is easily fixed by turning the monitor off and on.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Koramei posted:

my 7870 is still going just fine :smug: (on year+ old games, which are the only ones I can still play)

I'm less optimistic about its chances if it has to make it through another straight year though...

GCN 1.0/1.1 cards were the deal of the decade, along with Sandy Bridge.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

GCN 1.0/1.1 cards were the deal of the decade, along with Sandy Bridge.

2600k still going strong

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
3DCenter thinks Navi will be midrange-only (eg RX680).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Better midrange only rather than the no range wonder that Vega 56/64 have been.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV I'll let you know when my Phenom II X4 965 BE finally is retired-retired.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 10, 2018

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

PerrineClostermann posted:

2600k still going strong

Hell, my Bloomfield 920 is still getting the job done. If you told me 10 years ago I'd get 10 years out of a processor I'd have laughed at you.

The one time an attempt at future-proofing worked out for me.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My e6750 is still working, technically. It's running my NAS.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
The sandy bridge thing pops up a lot and I finally got curious the difference with the latest gen vs sandy bridge (for gaming) and weirdly enough I cant find those skus in comparison benchmarks at all anymore. Its probably out there but this is a pretty stark change from seriously 1 year ago where you'd almost always see sandy bridge thrown into benchmarks when reviewing the newest CPU on at least some major sites. Now its hard to even find Haswell.

I was going to say something like "sandy bridge was great but its probably time to upgrade if you play games" but I actually cant prove that so

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

1gnoirents posted:

Its probably out there but this is a pretty stark change from seriously 1 year ago where you'd almost always see sandy bridge thrown into benchmarks when reviewing the newest CPU on at least some major sites. Now its hard to even find Haswell.
Here's one with Sandy Bridge and Haswell: https://www.techspot.com/review/1546-intel-2nd-gen-core-i7-vs-8th-gen/

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

1gnoirents posted:

The sandy bridge thing pops up a lot and I finally got curious the difference with the latest gen vs sandy bridge (for gaming) and weirdly enough I cant find those skus in comparison benchmarks at all anymore. Its probably out there but this is a pretty stark change from seriously 1 year ago where you'd almost always see sandy bridge thrown into benchmarks when reviewing the newest CPU on at least some major sites. Now its hard to even find Haswell.

I was going to say something like "sandy bridge was great but its probably time to upgrade if you play games" but I actually cant prove that so

They quite easy to find IIRC except nobody actually tests them with the real CPU killer MP games because of benchmark consistency issues.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

Sandy Bridge is firmly in the "not something you would build in tyool 2018, but still good for less demanding users" category. 6 years of incremental gains do add up, but on the other hand you have to question whether it's worth dropping $300 on a new processor, $100 on a mobo, and $200 on DDR4. If you are on a 2500K or a locked processor, maybe, but a 2600K at 4.5-4.7 GHz is still pretty potent for most stuff.

(exception to the "not something you would build in 2018" statement: I actually think the 3930K/3960K are still viable budget builds, they are the only serious option for 6C processors on DDR3)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'd be more willing to upgrade CPUs more frequently if it wasn't such a hassle.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Spitballing here, my 4.5ghz 2550k is going to be turned into a media server this summer. I run a 1440p high refresh monitor with a 1080ti. Doesn't seem like there's much reason to go higher than an i5-8400, except maybe to go core crazy for an Ryzen 2700. Benchmarked single threaded and games performance are very close. Plus a newer AMD board should support Ryzen 2 next year or whenever.

Does anyone else like using this site at all? Seems decent for a quick and dirty compare.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8400-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700/3939vs3957

Does this all follow?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

LRADIKAL posted:

Spitballing here, my 4.5ghz 2550k is going to be turned into a media server this summer. I run a 1440p high refresh monitor with a 1080ti. Doesn't seem like there's much reason to go higher than an i5-8400, except maybe to go core crazy for an Ryzen 2700. Benchmarked single threaded and games performance are very close. Plus a newer AMD board should support Ryzen 2 next year or whenever.

Does anyone else like using this site at all? Seems decent for a quick and dirty compare.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8400-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700/3939vs3957

Does this all follow?

UserBenchmark is generally accurate but its topline "speed" number weights single-thread performance heavily. This is essentially correct for gaming, but not for other stuff. If you dive down into the subscores (single/quad/multithreaded) then those are accurate enough.

The Pentium G5400, i5 8400 and the i7 8700K are pretty much the only options that make sense in Intel's lineup at the moment. If you're doing high-refresh with a 1080 Ti the 8700K is the best choice, and viewed as a percentage of your total build cost is probably worth it.

If you are going to splash out for a 2700 you might as well spend the extra $30 and get the 2700X.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Ugh this is so dumb, I want to upgrade. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/video-card/

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

UserBenchmark is generally accurate but its topline "speed" number weights single-thread performance heavily. This is essentially correct for gaming, but not for other stuff. If you dive down into the subscores (single/quad/multithreaded) then those are accurate enough.

The Pentium G5400, i5 8400 and the i7 8700K are pretty much the only options that make sense in Intel's lineup at the moment. If you're doing high-refresh with a 1080 Ti the 8700K is the best choice, and viewed as a percentage of your total build cost is probably worth it.

If you are going to splash out for a 2700 you might as well spend the extra $30 and get the 2700X.

This indicates a 2 percent difference between an 8400 and the 8700K is nearly nil for my purposes.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1546-intel-2nd-gen-core-i7-vs-8th-gen/page5.html

I guess you're right about jumping to a 2700X. Are they actually a better value, a better heatsink I don't need, and I can crank its' clocks just as well with aftermarket cooling right? Or are they binned differently?

Thanks

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The 8700k already has a substantial lead over the 8400 and will be usable for a much longer time. Looking at a deliberately GPU bound benchmark and expecting that you'll always be GPU bound is foolish. Three years from now with a 1280 or whatever there will be an enormous gulf between them, especially that 1% frame number (which is really the most important thing for making a game feel playable).

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
No real need to manually overclock 2700X. You lose the single core turbo (4.35) when setting all cores to 4.2.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I tend to assume people upgrade their hardware in fits and spurts. As in, something failing is an excuse to update the whole system.

So, for example, if my 7970HD hadn't kicked the bucket and taken the 3570k with it, I'd still be on it, though perhaps with a GTX1080, as I'm on a 60hz. Instead, because it failed, I now have a 6700k and GTX1080.

Like, yeah, we've had 6 generations or whatever of 10% IPC increases, which is not insignificant, but if the difference is between 140fps and 92fps on BF1 when you're playing on a 60hz monitor, it's not really important.

And anybody holding onto a Sandy or Ivy bridge, I would imagine, is also holding onto a decade old monitor that only does 60hz like I was.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

LRADIKAL posted:

This indicates a 2 percent difference between an 8400 and the 8700K is nearly nil for my purposes.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1546-intel-2nd-gen-core-i7-vs-8th-gen/page5.html

I guess you're right about jumping to a 2700X. Are they actually a better value, a better heatsink I don't need, and I can crank its' clocks just as well with aftermarket cooling right? Or are they binned differently?

Thanks

The point of an 8700K is that you can run 4.8-5 GHz all-core on it, while the 8400 will only be doing 3.8 GHz all-core. That puts the 8700K's framerate 15-17% ahead at 1080p, which is significant, especially in high-refresh gaming. Over time, as GPUs improve, the 1440p chart will start looking more like the 1080p chart.

The extra threads are going to give the 8700K a longer effective lifespan and it will be a better experience throughout. If you are doing a $1000 system upgrade or whatever, it's decent value to spend the extra $100. If your budget doesn't stretch that far it's fine, but you do get what you pay for.

The 2700X is self-overclocking, and it actually uses less power than if you attempt to manually set it. The XFR2 turbo is really clever with its power management. The 2700X is binned better than the 2700.

The Ryzen cooler is OK, not fantastic by the standards of aftermarket cooling but way better than the stock Intel cooler. If you really want to go hog wild, an AIO is like $60 or you can get a big Noctua D15 for like $90.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 10, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Having a problem and figured I'd crosspost in here.

System:

Win7, DX11
4790k/ASUS Maximus something board (SLI compatible)
Gigabyte Windforce 980ti (had for awhile, bought new)
EVGA Hybrid 980ti (problem started after this card was installed, bought used)
EVGA 800w power supply
[Some Gskill ram]
Monitor 1: 144hz 1440p G-sync
Monitor 2: 60hz 1080p

I'm having a problem with occasional nvidia display driver crashes , happening only when my system is not under load. Generally with youtube or twitch open and happens maybe once every 20-40 hours of usage. This started after adding a second 980ti, which I bought used but have no real reason to believe is damaged from mining or anything (tested below). Sometimes it'll recover then freeze-driver crash multiple times in a row without being able to soft reboot it. I have had this problem over the last 2 nvidia official drivers that I've had the cards for.

The cards aren't overheating and are actually quite cool (below 80C) under stress testing with furmark or OCCT, and in games like Witcher 3. They overclocked well initially (just MSI Afterburner) but I've since been running them both at stock clocks/voltages just to eliminate variables. They're performing as expected for 2 SLI'd 980ti cards in terms of 3dmark scores and fps in games. I've properly uninstalled/reinstalled (clean installation) display drivers as well as dx11. I thought maybe my PSU wasn't stable but I've monitored my PSU rail voltages under GPU stress-testing and they are completely steady.

Wondering what else you guys would try? I'm more tempted to believe I'm having this issue as a result of a lovely memory call or weird SLI driver issue because of my rare use case with the 144hz G-sync 1440p IPS monitor. I don't feel like it's likely the newer 980ti is damaged because it is 100% stable at peak load indefinitely.

Just bringing this back from a long time ago to say that I think I managed to fix this, I'm running monitor 2 off of the iGPU from the mobo and running monitor 1 from a GPU. I'm having no issues with crashing and the iGPU works really well - I was sorta expecting some issues dragging stuff back and forth across the monitors with one of them running from the mobo, but I'm able to move VLC for example while playing something from one monitor to another with no issue. It's exactly the same experience as having both monitors sourced from the GPU except I'm not having these crashes. Theres also a little taskbar function now that allows me to adjust 'graphic properties' like brightness/contrast etc as well as resolution/refresh rate.

It was a bit of a headache getting it to work, had to enable it from EUFI ASUS BIOS, then set it as the only display from the mobo, install the intel graphics drivers using the intel downloadable driver utility, then swap it back in BIOS to auto-select so it would give me both monitors back. I'm running an i7 4790k at 4.6ghz and it's running the iGPU at 700mhz.

Thought I'd explain it in case anyone else is at wit's end with an issue and wanted something else to try.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

I couldnt have gotten google-schooled harder lol. Interesting though and kind of what I thought would be the case with all the 3-5% increments. Throw multiplayer into that and it will certainly become more compelling. The "generations" were becoming a sad state of affairs Im sure I dont have to say that but Im the only person I know that buys the next gen CPU every release regardless of the tiny improvements. After used resale - which is absurdly high - always I end up paying for little for the difference. Kind of like what a lot of people here do with GPUs except better (money wise). Of course you're getting far less out of it but if its no hassle to sell used parts then id recommend it to anybody. Once you skip a gen it reverts back to a legitimate upgrade in the financial sense.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I wonder how much worse it is after the spectre patches.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'll run a specific benchmark requested if given an agreed upon patch/unpatch method.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Since my 290x died i ordered a 1070ti for 620$. 17% cheaper on sale!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Christobevii3 posted:

I wonder how much worse it is after the spectre patches.

Be interesting Vs ryzen+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Michael Jackson posted:

Since my 290x died i ordered a 1070ti for 620$. 17% cheaper on sale!

Wait what? I've seen them going for 450$...