Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Now with USB-C you might not be able to use it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

Now with USB-C you might not be able to use it anyway

USB-C > DVI > ADC with power inject. Let the sparks fly!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/sys/d/apple-macbook-pro-15-inch-mid/6599307912.html

Even 2010 :discourse:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

~Coxy posted:

I still use two Apple Cinemas Display from 2005. One is perfect but unfortunately the backlight is starting to die on the other, plus video cards don't have 2x DVI ports on them anymore.

My mother ended up with my 2002 Apple Cinema Display, which is a bit dim but still serviceable. It's been through two different ADC adapters.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I like where they just pasted the entire spec sheet from Apple rather than specifying what processor is actually in it

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaocaholica posted:

USB-C > DVI > ADC with power inject. Let the sparks fly!

They are DVI thank goodness.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Weedle posted:

I like where they just pasted the entire spec sheet from Apple rather than specifying what processor is actually in it

I emailed the guy from my burner gmail

"I'll give you $100 for it. No questions asked. No demo. Cash in hand. Meet at Sizzler parking lot"

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So apparently, under heavy load, a 15in MBP will slowly drain the battery even if connected to power via a multiport adapter? Bleh.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Dick Nipples posted:

I have a preference toward the Dell Precision monitors - here's the 27 inch (P2715Q). I've got one of these at home and two of the 24 inch ones (P2415Q) at work. 4K monitors with nice color. Not the cheapest but also not the most expensive.

on sale for 370$ now? seems like a really good deal

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Small White Dragon posted:

So apparently, under heavy load, a 15in MBP will slowly drain the battery even if connected to power via a multiport adapter? Bleh.

yeah, the processor, GPU, busses etc add up to more wattage than the adapter, so the excess comes from somewhere.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

You can’t drain a battery that’s already dead at zero :smugdog:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That's also why the CPU gets force-downclocked if the battery dies or is removed.
(Do Macs with glued-in batteries even boot if it is removed?)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I have a 2011 MacBook Pro with a severely burst battery. The case around the trackpad is warped and the bottom plate has wrenched itself free of some of the screws along the back of the machine.

Along the front and left side of the machine there are four screws which I simply cannot remove. The heads are now quite stripped as well. Seems pretty clear that the machine is wrecked but the SSD in there is very good and I need to recover that.

Anyone have any suggestions? I’m tempted to try just prising the plate away from the busted screws seeing as the rest of the computer is dead.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You can drill out screw heads.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

That adapter passes through 60w. The 15” MBP needs 95w, iirc, at full load. There are some adapters/dongles that pass through the full 100w that USB-C supports and you can get one of those or just plug in the Apple power adapter directly. :shrug:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

tuyop posted:

There are some adapters/dongles that pass through the full 100w that USB-C supports
Anyone have any recommendations?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

~Coxy posted:

That's also why the CPU gets force-downclocked if the battery dies or is removed.

IIRC, they actually do. I did this to test a trackpad replacement before putting the battery back once, I think.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

ineptmule posted:

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro with a severely burst battery. The case around the trackpad is warped and the bottom plate has wrenched itself free of some of the screws along the back of the machine.

Along the front and left side of the machine there are four screws which I simply cannot remove. The heads are now quite stripped as well. Seems pretty clear that the machine is wrecked but the SSD in there is very good and I need to recover that.

Anyone have any suggestions? I’m tempted to try just prising the plate away from the busted screws seeing as the rest of the computer is dead.

This, or a Dremel Tool and a screw extractor bit.

You might try prying off the plate but you might damage what you're trying to extract.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

~Coxy posted:

Yes, they do, but the laptop will run at reduced speeds as a result.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Anyone have any recommendations?

They’re not cheap. Most of the <$100 options top out at 30w the last time I looked. But, if you’re really serious check out the Caldigit TS3 line, the elgato thunderbolt 3, or pluggable thunderbolt 3 docks.

I was also upset at the price until I realized that a second charger alone was $100, and an appropriate tb3 cord is 20-30. Then I added up the price of my dongles that don’t really work that well, and I have two that were $70+ so you kind of get at least $200 of tech that works just as well or much better than the cheaper alternatives. I was spending about 30 minutes a week troubleshooting cheap dongles, then I bought that TS3 and I just plug it in and go. Plus, the convenience of just having a single plug for all your peripherals, which was a big deal for me.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

tuyop posted:

They’re not cheap. Most of the <$100 options top out at 30w the last time I looked. But, if you’re really serious check out the Caldigit TS3 line, the elgato thunderbolt 3, or pluggable thunderbolt 3 docks.

I was also upset at the price until I realized that a second charger alone was $100, and an appropriate tb3 cord is 20-30. Then I added up the price of my dongles that don’t really work that well, and I have two that were $70+ so you kind of get at least $200 of tech that works just as well or much better than the cheaper alternatives. I was spending about 30 minutes a week troubleshooting cheap dongles, then I bought that TS3 and I just plug it in and go. Plus, the convenience of just having a single plug for all your peripherals, which was a big deal for me.
Do these all have separate chargers, rather than charging on USB-C? (The chargers are not pictured, but it looks like there's some sort of proprietary charger port?)

Most of these don't seem terribly airplane friendly though, unfortunately.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Do these all have separate chargers, rather than charging on USB-C? (The chargers are not pictured, but it looks like there's some sort of proprietary charger port?)

Most of these don't seem terribly airplane friendly though, unfortunately.

Oh yeah, they're docks that are intended to live at a desk and they come with their own power supplies with barrel plugs but charge the laptop and do all their other functions through one of the tb3 ports.

What's the use case on an airplane? There isn't going to be anything that's like, smaller or lighter and still provides full power.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

~Coxy posted:

I still use two Apple Cinemas Display from 2005. One is perfect but unfortunately the backlight is starting to die on the other, plus video cards don't have 2x DVI ports on them anymore.

is there any reason you can't just DP -> DVI or HDMI -> DVI?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I really like the new MB Pros keyboard, I love annoying people with the clicking noises while I shitpost at lightning speeds

the problem is how it can brick your whole computer if so much as a speck of dust gets inside the keys.

The touchbar is absolute trash and indefensible though, no question

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

landgrabber posted:

You can use a MiniDP to dual DVI adapter which is like $90

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I really like the new MB Pros keyboard, I love annoying people with the clicking noises while I shitpost at lightning speeds

the problem is how it can brick your whole computer if so much as a speck of dust gets inside the keys.

The touchbar is absolute trash and indefensible though, no question

Touchbar: quick! Look down away from the screen to do something you could have down with more precision and faster if you had just kept looking at the screen.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

I am curious, what part(s) of windows 10 is makes you hate it? To me OSX's gui is completely unusable for my workflow. Ever try and find a MOVE file option?! that kind of stuff

Move: command-drag.
Copy: option-drag.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Its bad interface design to hide major functionality like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's apple's design philosophy though, people in the ios threads still get amazed stuff like hard press to get a movable cursor.

Well not lately, maybe it's common knowledge among goons. But I bet it's still a complete mystery to most of apple's customers.

Idiotic stubbornness from apple but what can you do about it. :iiam:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

landgrabber posted:

Bob Morales posted:

You can use a MiniDP to dual DVI adapter which is like $90

No reason, just don't want perma-dongles, plus the backlight age.
But I'll keep using them for a while yet until I find a good monitor that doesn't take 15 seconds to display an image.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

~Coxy posted:

No reason, just don't want perma-dongles, plus the backlight age.
But I'll keep using them for a while yet until I find a good monitor that doesn't take 15 seconds to display an image.

yeah i'm using two 24 inch 1080p monitors i took from my parents' office. just gonna use em till they disintegrate (or until they make a white/silver 27 inch 4k monitor.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Move: command-drag.
Copy: option-drag.

Can’t remember this to save my life
I have to google it or try and drag the file and see what the mouse cursor turns into

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I tend to use cmd-c to copy the file/folder, then hold option which changes the context in Edit menu and the right click menu from Paste to Move. Like, it’s not obvious the first time but after that it makes sense in the MacOS way of doing things.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It annoys me that finder doesn't default to auto arrange for grid view files (despite grid view being the worst except for images). You end up with files located off the window when you resize the window. What use case would there be to have grid view work like that?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

It annoys me that finder doesn't default to auto arrange for grid view files (despite grid view being the worst except for images). You end up with files located off the window when you resize the window. What use case would there be to have grid view work like that?

ARRANGE BY PENISTH

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Shaocaholica posted:

Huh weird, which OS are you on? It does for me, and it used to annoy me so much, but it must have changed at some point

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Huh weird, which OS are you on? It does for me, and it used to annoy me so much, but it must have changed at some point

High sierra. Default behavior after clean install.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing but I'm pretty sure this is default Apple behavior dating to like the 1980s. I recall dragging folders around in a window on my parents Apple IIgs back in day and having it remember their x,y coordinates in the window even when it made zero sense readability wise.

fake edit:

Yup, confirmed. This doesn't make it good behavior, but its well-precidented.

off-topic, I'd totally run a re-skinned MacOS that looked like that in 2018 for a few weeks, just for nostalgia's sake.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
User X,Y display coordinates that’s not on a special desktop dir is dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Shaocaholica posted:

User X,Y display coordinates that’s not on a special desktop dir is dumb as hell.

It was fun when you were a bored kid with no games to play. Bored of playing through the Apple IIGs tour game that taught you how to use one of these new-fangled "mice" that is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJVknUy_bnc

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 11, 2018