Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
For digital modes, you want to adjust your PCs audio output low enough that you're not activating the radio's ALC.
K7AGE did a nice video with an FT-817. He uses Digipan, but the guide should work similarly for fldigi or WSJT-X.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CwHaX7t5M

As far as SWR goes, most radios will do fine at 1.5 or lower. There's no harm in trying to get a perfect match, but for most people it's kind of a diminishing returns situation. You'll spend a lot of time fiddling with your tuner knobs, but you won't get any more power out if you're using coax. The reflected power is basically just being lost in the coax.

I believe this story is slightly different with a very low-loss feeder such as open-wire line. Even with a 10:1 mismatch, I can still get >90W out with 100W input with 100ft of open wire.
This calculator gives you a good idea of your SWR loss.
http://www.qsl.net/co8tw/Coax_Calculator.htm

Also, make sure you have a dummy load. Without a dummy, just make sure you send out your callsign. I usually spam "CALLSIGN CALLSIGN TEST TEST TEST CALLSIGN CALLSIGN" in fldigi even when I'm using a dummy load just in case I'm radiating.

xergm fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Well the SWR meter on the 817 itself seems to have two settings: zero and YOU ARE GOING TO DIE so I should probably dig out the external one I've got lying around. I'll look into that video over lunch or tonight and see if I can follow along, thanks.

I've had this rig for years and never managed to make a successful QSO. I wonder how many other hams are out there just firing overblown signals into the walls of their house and not getting anything back. The answer seems to be a lot, considering how many unanswered CQs I was hearing on 7.074 last night. Tons of FT8 traffic, even when it was still light out. I'm really eager to get this sorted so I can start collecting a couple myself.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I managed to contact people with an yaesu vx-1 today, i am finally a radio talker!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Michael Jackson posted:

I managed to contact people with an yaesu vx-1 today, i am finally a radio talker!

>Googles "Yaesu VX-1"

drat that's a tiny radio!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i carry a vx3r with me everywhere, i mean everywhere, with a couple spare batteries. it's the most amazing 50 bucks i've ever spent on a ham rig (ebay deal cause the front case was broken; I emailed Yaesu and they sold me a new part for $2.50 plus priority mail)

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always have vx6r in my bag modded to tx any freq. even at full price it’s a drat good radio.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

soy posted:

I always have vx6r in my bag modded to tx any freq. even at full price it’s a drat good radio.

Got any deets on this mod?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

mycomancy posted:

Just search for MARS/CAP mods for whatever radio. On yaesus it’s usually solder pads behind the battery that either need to be bridged or removed. Own-risk etc.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mycomancy posted:

Yea you just remove thing behind battery and solder off a jumper. Pretty hard to dick that up. Took me 5 mins.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

What's the benefit of doing that? Does it affect rx range or only tx?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Progressive JPEG posted:

What's the benefit of doing that? Does it affect rx range or only tx?

Transmitting outside of the ham bands where the radios can normally just receive.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I think some EU models of radios are even limited to only RX inside ham bands?

It's potentially very useful to be able to transmit on e.g. 156.8 in an emergency since you're likely to get help instead of an earful about interrupting the local old-man diseases net.

Back when public services used analog systems it could also conceivably be useful to quickly reprogram a ham rig to work on those frequencies.
I know some hams who have lent their mobile rigs to police officers out in the field since they couldn't reach the repeaters with the 10W/low gain antenna combo police cars used back then.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Or you could, and this is probably not a popular opinion, not transmit on frequencies that belong to services that require type-accepted radios. Which is basically all of them except ham radio. Sure, anything goes in an emergency, but that doesn’t include when you aren’t the victim and are just working with emergency services as an ARES/RACES/etc volunteer. Or are a member of an emergency service and just want to carry one radio that can also do ham.

If you are really concerned about emergencies, get yourself a personal locator beacon. They’ll get help to you basically anywhere on the planet as long as you can see at least a little of the sky when you activate it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

eddiewalker posted:

Just search for MARS/CAP mods for whatever radio. On yaesus it’s usually solder pads behind the battery that either need to be bridged or removed. Own-risk etc.
Hell, on some like VX7R it can be done entirely in software.

fordan posted:

Or you could, and this is probably not a popular opinion, not transmit on frequencies that belong to services that require type-accepted radios. Which is basically all of them except ham radio. Sure, anything goes in an emergency, but that doesn’t include when you aren’t the victim and are just working with emergency services as an ARES/RACES/etc volunteer. Or are a member of an emergency service and just want to carry one radio that can also do ham.
My position on this has always been basically the same as my position on speeding. The basic principle behind the rule makes sense, but in practice it's a lot more restrictive than it really should be and it's entirely possible to violate the rule without harming anyone else and/or the public good, so I will never fault someone for doing so as long as they do it responsibly.

Basically to me as long as the person is using a good radio that transmits a clean signal and has it properly configured (including transmit power and antenna choice so you're not stepping on a much wider range than intended for that service) I don't see a reason for anyone to care whether they're holding an amateur HT or a blister-pack Motorola. Just like with speeding, don't be an idiot about it.

Agreed about emergencies though. IMO most of those who justify unlocking their radios as an emergency measure are being dishonest about it and really just don't want to carry their FRS/GMRS unit as well.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Let's be real, the people with the technical know-how to mod their radios to TX out of band really aren't the people you have to worry about.

If I wanted to cause havoc, I wouldn't risk screwing up a good, expensive radio with my shoddy soldering skills, I'd just order a cheap Chinese radio that will TX out of band straight out of the box.
Baofengs are currently running ~$35 with prime on Amazon.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I don't see the problem with modding as long as you transmit legally. It's annoying as hell to have to own / carry /store / keep track of multiple radios when you have one that is capable of doing it all. Annoying and expensive.

For example I know someone who saved probably hundreds of dollars jumpering his UHF/VHF ham to transmit on marine bands instead of buying and installing a second radio on his boat. He also saved space in a pretty tight cabin.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

This is a pretty cool discone build with good instructions and cad available. https://bytechlab.com/2018/05/mostly-3d-printed-discone-antenna/

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Hah, I just ordered the parts for that. Should have them done in a few days.

[edit] Ordered, as in used https://www.3dhubs.com to have them printed.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can anybody recommend a vehicle bracket for my TM-241a? The radio is 5.5 inches wide. I'm going to have to play around with mounting locations, under dash might work but in a 05 ranger there's not a ton of space.

Update: a NOS MB-201 bracket came up on ebay last week, I offered $25 and it showed up today. I'll be playing around with mounting points tonight if I get some time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xergm posted:

Let's be real, the people with the technical know-how to mod their radios to TX out of band really aren't the people you have to worry about.

If I wanted to cause havoc, I wouldn't risk screwing up a good, expensive radio with my shoddy soldering skills, I'd just order a cheap Chinese radio that will TX out of band straight out of the box.
I'd agree if it required technical know-how, but it really doesn't on many newer radios.

On my VX-7R you click a box in the third-party programming utility and send it a config file, then it's unlocked until you reset it or send a config file that re-locks it. If you want to make it permanent you remove a sticker from under the battery pack and remove a solder jumper, then factory reset. As I understand it, the radio sets the config bits that control based on the state of the jumpers when it first boots up.

Basically zero technical knowledge required for the soft-unlock and the barest minimum of soldering ability for the hard-unlock, with no real risk to the equipment on the former and very little on the latter.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

xergm posted:

My brother ordered two BAOFENGS and i get one. 4W output instead of 1 woohoo

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

mycomancy posted:

>Googles "Yaesu VX-1"

drat that's a tiny radio!

The Alinco DJ-C5T would disagree. About the size of a stack of 8 or so credit cards. With such features as 300mw output and mosquito repeller listed as a feature!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

uli2000 posted:

The Alinco DJ-C5T would disagree. About the size of a stack of 8 or so credit cards. With such features as 300mw output and mosquito repeller listed as a feature!

Oh neat! I may try to find a used one somewhere.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
those little alincos are neat, but honestly, the vx3r has so much more functionality that I literally recommend one to anybody that wants to play radio at all. it is the highest radio fun per cubic inch you can buy.

that being said, i really want the tarted up icom version, the p7a

hard to find

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

that being said, i really want the tarted up icom version, the p7a

hard to find
They should have had it at 27.185 for that picture. :colbert:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Triple nickel if they really wanted to get some hate mail

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

Triple nickel if they really wanted to get some hate mail

Triple nickel?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pimblor posted:

Triple nickel?

27.555 MHz, a popular bootlegger/pirate freq. Tune on other sides of the CB band when it's open. You'll hear all kinds of poo poo.

Lots of Spanish chatter below 27, down to 26.5 or so. 27.385 is channel 38, and "legit" CB ops run lower sideband there. But yeah, above 405, you'll hear the real characters.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Speaking of which what is 146.415 up to ? Is it still KE6RRI or W6NUT or what

I miss listening to the stream and hearing hours of “grim glim gnim bim bim”

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

So thanks to a recommendation itt i got a used TS-450SAT for a pretty good price. Set it up today. My first HF rig! I strung up a ghetto rear end 20m vertical and was receiving pretty nicely from northern ireland, italy, slovenia, also alabama, texas, louisiana. There definitely seems to be a NE/SW bias (I'm in PA).

Anyway I didn't make any contacts because my antenna sucks so far but it was cool as hell anyway and this was my first time even trying HF in maybe 6 years, and previously it was on a nice club station. Looking forward to building a better antenna and making some contacts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

uli2000 posted:

God drat you, now I just bid on one. It's all your fault.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

alnilam posted:

So thanks to a recommendation itt i got a used TS-450SAT for a pretty good price. Set it up today. My first HF rig! I strung up a ghetto rear end 20m vertical and was receiving pretty nicely from northern ireland, italy, slovenia, also alabama, texas, louisiana. There definitely seems to be a NE/SW bias (I'm in PA).

Anyway I didn't make any contacts because my antenna sucks so far but it was cool as hell anyway and this was my first time even trying HF in maybe 6 years, and previously it was on a nice club station. Looking forward to building a better antenna and making some contacts.

450's really nice. It'll serve you for as long as you want to run it, and then you will sell it for no more than $50 less than what you paid.

20 is the big band of course, but if you want to stretch your operating out several hours into the evening, throw up a 40 meter wire. That band holds well until past midnight if people are on. If I was stuck with a single band radio forever, i'd pick a 40 meter rig. The noon regional net has like 250 checkins a day, and I can hear almost every one on my doublet at 30 feet.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I bought the newer brother the TS-480SAT and would highly recommend it or it’s kin for usability and reliability .

Crystal filters also highly recommended.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So i bought a bike and i'm really thinking about that goofy rear end Yaesu motorcycle rig. I mean, if i ever needed a justification, it's right here

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

You can jury rig a lot of various HT headsets inside a motorcycle helmet as long as they have a nice finger mounted PTT

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah. Really I should get a wired helmet and do up an adapter cable, then i can use whatever

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I was gonna put up a wire from my house wall to a tree besides the parking lot but the leader for HOA said no because it would look too much like Africa.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Michael Jackson posted:

the leader for HOA said no because it would look too much like Africa.

Put up your wire and make them litigate it down. gently caress racists.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, aren't HOAs very limited on pursuing antennas since they fall under the FCC's jurisdiction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, aren't HOAs very limited on pursuing antennas since they fall under the FCC's jurisdiction?

Tell that to HOAs and a lot of things.