Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Eh, different people like different things. My wife and I are both huge pokemon fans. I’ve played through every gen multiple times, but my wife who just is not as much a gamer tends to barely pull off getting to the elite four once per gen before dropping out.

Well that is except for her original copy of red that she must have played through ten times. Her nostalgia of the original 151 is a big part of that and she is stoked for ‘lets go’ since it will allow her to just have the mons she loves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Loving just the first 151 and none of the others is simply bad taste.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It doesn't even make a lot of sense to even have that stance outside of Japan as Pokémon only went global in 1997-1998. This means that in the year that Pokémon was introduced in English, there were already artwork/screenshots/promotions of the Gen II games floating around the primitive internet. Not to mention that Ho-oh and Togepi were already characters in the anime.

So it would be more accurate if genwunners also liked Gen II at least.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Nah, my wife’s main exposure to pokemon as a kid was watching that cartoon with her younger brother. They also only ever had access to the original cartridges, and my wife didnt get back into pokemon as a game as an adult till she met me.

So pretty much the only mons she grew up with were the first 151.

Edit: plus gen 2 blows.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Raserys posted:

Those are nice but you can't put bulbasaur in a hat, just Pikachu or eevee

I will find a way.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

less laughter posted:

Loving just the first 151 and none of the others is simply bad taste.

:hai:

By the way I love your art FelicityGS, especially the Bulbasaur.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Nah, my wife’s main exposure to pokemon as a kid was watching that cartoon with her younger brother. They also only ever had access to the original cartridges, and my wife didnt get back into pokemon as a game as an adult till she met me.

So pretty much the only mons she grew up with were the first 151.

Edit: plus gen 2 blows.

I was the same way. I grew up with the cartoon that I watched with my little brother, but at the time, I didn't even know it was based on a video game. I had a gameboy, but I only had a handful of games for it and none of them were Pokemon. I watched the cartoon up to the end of the gen 2 stuff.

I got back into Pokemon when I met my husband. I had watched him play some Pokemon Pearl and thought it would be a game I might enjoy, so I asked to play his copy of Firered. He said yes, so long as I picked Charmander, who I was going to pick anyway. I loved that I could play as a girl.

After that, I played Emerald, where most of the Pokemon were brand new to me. It was so exciting seeing new Pokemon. I'll never forget the first time I encountered a Tropius.

From there, I played Platinum, Heartgold, White, White 2, X, Alpha Sapphire, Sun and Ultra Moon, along with the Colosseum games, Battle Revolution, Ranger and a couple of Mystery Dungeon games.

Sure, my first favourites were in Gen 1, but now I have favourites in every generation. I probably have over 150 "favourite Pokemon". Gen 1 has always had it's share of duds too. Even though it's what I grew up with, there were still Pokemon that I didn't like as a kid, like Geodude, Voltorb, Weezing, Muk. I understand that they are other people's favourite Pokemon, but they weren't my taste and that's fine.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zuzie posted:

This means that in the year that Pokémon was introduced in English, there were already artwork/screenshots/promotions of the Gen II games floating around the primitive internet.

This reminds me of something I saw way back in the day, before Gen II hit the States. It was somebody's Pokemon fansite with text like:

quote:

You came here to learn about Pokemon so here's one [image]
Whoops that one from the next games...

The Gen II Pokemon was mostly yellow with some red spots and to my recollection looked vaguely like a Venusaur without the flower on its back.

I think I could write this off as someone's hoax except for the fact that I'm almost certain I figured out which one it was back in college. Did anyone else happen to find this same page?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

My first wild shiny was a Manectric in Friend Safari in Y. I almost didn't catch it because i wasn't really paying attention.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Depends on the shiny. Some are improvements over the original, some are uglier, some are bright loving green, some are Garchomp.

I don't know what you're talking about

Limeon is great

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Blaze Dragon posted:

Depends on the shiny. Some are improvements over the original, some are uglier, some are bright loving green, some are Garchomp.

Also, Mega Garchomp shiny is awesome. I caught a shiny Gible while chaining for the HA, thought it was super dumb until I realized the mega form is bright magenta.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I don't know what you're talking about

Limeon is great

it's a good one

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Last few pages remind me that Pokemon fans don't actually like Pokemon.

Anyways I still have ol' Gemerald, my second shiny from Gen III (third overall including GS Gyarados), but sadly my pink Crobat is lost to the ages. A few Christmases back I got two shinies back-to-back while EV training -- Whismur and another Zubat!

Sadly I was cursed with the least notable shiny of all in Crystal; the Odd Egg Jynx, whose changes are negligible from the altered USA sprite.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i like pokemon

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

pokemon is Okay, imo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm going to get a parasect and a nidoking in pokemon let's go eevee

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Bring back pokeball capsules and contest imo, and then maybe I'll like it

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Gen wunners: Get the gently caress over yourselves.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

oddium posted:

I'm finally going to train a badass Kingler

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Are the other generations represented in the Switch games at all? Are they going to he compatible with Pokémon Bank?

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

We should all just take a moment to realize the brilliance of Pokémon.

As an aside, this is my favorite youtube channel, and I think most of you would enjoy it.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Star Man posted:

Are the other generations represented in the Switch games at all? Are they going to he compatible with Pokémon Bank?

I would say it's probably yes to both questions for the 2019 games, yeah.

For the Let's Go games later this year, the only other generation representation beyond the original 151 sounds like will be those with Alola forms. I imagine pokemon who have had type changes since then will also keep their new types (ie: everything that became Fairy or part Fairy) since they have those newer types in Pokemon Go.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
4/10 alolan form families having dark type added was in preparation for Lets Go. In fact the whole idea was to balance the region with that and the added fairies.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

4/10 alolan form families having dark type added was in preparation for Lets Go. In fact the whole idea was to balance the region with that and the added fairies.

Sure.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

alolan raticate balances alakazam

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
Eeeek, I got the “error has occurred, please hold the power button” message while fighting the elite four.

I’m not sure what is causing it. I do have a third party SD card and a downloaded Nintendo Store game without cartridge, but the SD card is compatible and this has never happened before. Fortunately, all of my data seems to be in place.

Is the “repair game” function safe to use, or will it just delete my savegame? Are there any other ideas to prevent something like this from happening while I am saving and wrecking my game?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

IDONTPOST posted:

alolan raticate balances alakazam

no that’s alolan muk

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Zoran posted:

no that’s alolan muk

alolan muk is good but ugly, alolan raticate is strong, real and my friend.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Lol if tyranitar isn't your favorite pokemon

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

gyarados can kick tyranitar's rear end, easily

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

oddium posted:

Nidoking
Kabutops
A-Marowak
A-Exeggutor
Raichu
Ditto

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I doubt they made Alolan forms for Let's Go Pikachu's/Eevee's sake, but I do think it was some deliberate futureproofing on their part. All Alolan forms either introduce new type combinations or add rare/absent types to the original 151. If they ever wanted to return to Kanto or do another game starring the original 151, they had added variety and balancing without technically adding newer Pokémon. And sure enough, they're heading back to Kanto.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

IDONTPOST posted:

alolan muk is good but ugly

Why are you a hateful cruel person? Tie-dye Muk is beautiful and if you can't understand that then you don't deserve it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i like the teeth

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Dark
Psychic
Ice/Steel
Ice/Fairy
Steel
Dark
Electric
Dark
Dragon
Ghost/Fire

That's still only two ghost/dragon types in the Kanto dex, but yeah, that does round it out nicely. Especially given that Alola is not hurting for good ghosts and has a pretty solid dragon selection also.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

hangedman1984 posted:

Why are you a hateful cruel person? Tie-dye Muk is beautiful and if you can't understand that then you don't deserve it.

Also ridiculously useful! Putting the fear of God in the tapus since '16 :japan:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Dialga / Palkia code
A8Z4 XEK5 SWHQ PEPU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

sharrrk posted:

gyarados can kick tyranitar's rear end, easily

Its pokedex says "Its body can't be harmed by any sort of attack, so it is very eager to make challenges against enemies." so actually nobody can kick its rear end and it definitely isn't one of the pokemon that has the most weaknesses in the game.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoran posted:

no that’s alolan muk

Alolan Musk needs to stop trying to beat the Mossdeep space center to PokeMars and instead make sure his electric cars stop running people over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hustlin Floh posted:

Alolan Musk needs to stop trying to beat the Mossdeep space center to PokeMars and instead make sure his electric cars stop running people over.

and stop dating Grimer