Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

What's extra ridiculous about this is that a real game made by real game developers wouldn't even have an animation to get in and out of the ship in the first place.

"BUT MY IMMERSION" cry the backers, but I reiterate that replicating the minutiae isn't what immersion is.

Imagine a bunch of teenage kids sneaking up to the wall near a nudist colony with a ladder to sneak a peek. When they recount the event years later, they might remember the excitement of approaching the wall doing something they weren't supposed to do. They might recall peering over that wall.

What they will NOT recall is walking up the loving ladder and where their feet placement was as they did so. Their minds would have been elsewhere - climbing the ladder would have been a subconscious act the brain edited out in real time, much less dedicated to long-term storage.

But people with a certain kind of autism ONLY sees the minutiae. They have no way of knowing what or who is proper to focus on, so they focus on everything equally. I'm 100% convinced Chris has this, and I'm equally convinced the "MY IMMERSION" backers have the same defect.

Imagine the percentage of development time spent on something that isn't needed. Imagine how much further along this game might be without this bullshit stopping them cold.

Yeah, basically this.

Tossing in canned animations (and of course the can is some punctured can of Bud Light that has been sitting in back of the fridge for 2 years you forgot about) is how does it all get reconciled. According to Roberts I could be sitting around like some rouge scoundrel and cap his rear end going down the ladder and steal his chariot. But we know that rest of the story.

Look at the mining mechanic for another example. With grabby hands I should be able to run off after they operate the laser thing correctly to extract shale...then run to my Mustang and cackle when I sell it for pre-alpha-uec that I can't buy anything with.

In short, it is absurd on so many levels one can't comprehend it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

In short, it is absurd on so many levels one can't comprehend it all.

Star Citizen is basically Chris Roberts having a really stupid idea, someone saying "Chris, that has got to be the dumbest loving idea I've ever heard out of your mouth, and that's really saying something. You're a real dumb motherfucker, you know that?" and then Chris putting that idea into the game.

And then it happens thousands of times more.

Star Citizen is thousands of disjointed, submoronic, unworkable ideas, all tossed together into a poo poo stew, being stirred by an inept team, and paid for by society's castoffs.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Holy hell, finally caught up to the thread.

Sure am glad the detectives at Test and reddit have figured out it was clearly a false flag and not some nutter in the SC community. Sure would be awkward if they found out it was one of the mentally healthy individuals that have been stalking Derek for years.

Insert picture here of the bullet with Derek's name in it which some fan posted with pride.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Koil posted:

catte time

:five:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Colostomy Bag posted:

Look at the mining mechanic for another example. With grabby hands I should be able to run off after they operate the laser thing correctly to extract shale...

I had been mistakenly thinking shale and slate were very similar. Well:

(Wikipedia)

quote:

Shale is a fine-grained, clastic sedimentary rock composed of mud that is a mix of flakes of clay minerals and tiny fragments (silt-sized particles) of other minerals, especially quartz and calcite. Shale is characterized by breaks along thin laminae or parallel layering or bedding less than one centimeter in thickness, called fissility. It is the most common sedimentary rock.

It's apparently almost completely useless, except as bulk industrial material. It's the most abundant sedimentary rock. When processed, it can be added to cements, clay, or ceramics.

http://people.ku.edu/~stalder/KS-shale.html

quote:

Shale is a hardened, compacted clay or silty clay that commonly breaks along bedding planes some of which are no thicker than paper.

Shales are easily eroded or worn away.

Shale in eastern Kansas has been used for making bricks. When heated it color changes to "brick-red". Shale is also used mixed with limestone for making Portland cement.

It's the sort of material you scoop out of a pit and haul off in a dump truck big enough to carry a house, and is as common as dirt. I just can't wrap my mind around why this is one of the first included materials in the mining mechanic. And, you don't use fricken lasers. You use a giant scoop. It's basically mining mud.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Exinos posted:

Insert picture here of the bullet with Derek's name in it which some fan posted with pride.

I might just be missing the joke here but is that a thing that actually happened because :piss:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

laffing along at screenshots with my little group ITT

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

XK posted:

I had been mistakenly thinking shale and slate were very similar. Well:

No problems commando. Yeah, mining slate would be quite lucrative given what slate roofs cost. But hopefully all the moons/planets have some sort of a magnetosphere so radiation isn't an issue.

It's just another example of life's intersections. A few here know game development. A few know networking. A few know how much a sliding door costs. To know it all is impossible.

And as I type this my Coke can has MVP printed on its side. What an absolute fiasco of biblical proportions.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm sure SidAlpha has seen the errors of his way, after all this correction he has received. I'm also sure that all outside observers have learned that CIG, and the Star Citizen community, are shining beacons of light, after being told that Derek Smart and the Goons are lizard people turning frogs gay.

The community doesn't look crazy at all. It's very healthy and full of mature upstanding people.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Oh my...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Read between the lines on this, the grammar, spelling, idiomatic statements. This reads as a foreign person with English as a second language.

Germany has a huge SC base, apparently, but I do not see this as a German person.

This is Russian.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

Its rather unlikely since they got alot from shipsales and got, through showing they can do it and that they have crazy support behind them, even big companys at their back now, which give them freedome but fund support ( at least at this point its the most simple and logic conclusion to the known facts) and while they are short and hatespeechler like you make it exceedingly harder, for no reason, to realize the project ( your kids need food right? So make what gives clicks and hate has every stupid human, ka-ching)

Weather is nice in Moscow, da?

Like, really.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rubbish, SQ42 is just around the corner! The lack of NPC AI is just a minor setback in a single player game.

In other news, this made me giggle.

Yes! While flying in a straight like you can get out of your chair and.... erm.... mop the floor?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
:lol:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
hello reddit

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone get this man a SA account!

quote:

firefly212 24 points 2 hours ago

Hi guys... I went to bed last night... and this morning I have like a bagillion notifications... I'll try to clear a few things up all in one post.

the post was not intended as a "troll" post... to the opposite, I posted that kind of lengthy rant in a thread where someone asked why there were so many people hating on the project. I interpreted the question a bit differently, which is why I wanted to make it clear that I don't hate the project, but was probably one of the negative people OP might be thinking about.
Yes, I have MS... if you read the collective of my reddit posts, or linkedin articles, you can see I'm quite open about that... the post I made about stopping doing drugs... that's also true too... I made some really bad choices when I was younger, and I try to be open about them because I don't want other people to make the same mistakes I did. The "drugs are bad" people sort of lack credibility because they don't know what they're talking about... it turns out drugs are awesome, so awesome you'll want them all the time, so awesome the rest of your life will fall apart and they'll be all you want. That's why you shouldn't do drugs, not because of some vague say no campaign by an octegenarian, or a commercial on tv, but you should say no to drugs precisely because they will make you feel loving fantastic while they take everything else you have away and kill you. I can't speak to that credibly or warn anyone off of drugs without owning my own mistake, so... I'd rather own it than lose the opportunity to warn someone else off about it.
Yes, MS can be really challenging, but it can also vary in how I feel day to day... some days I can go for a nice run... other days it's really hard to get around the house, even with crutches, but where I live isn't very accessible, and it's actually pretty hard to find accessible rental places.
While I appreciate the position of some that you shouldn't kickstart money you aren't willing to lose, and admit I made some mistakes in backing this project, the post was intended to be an explanation of why there's some bad will towards CIG/RSI..
No, I have not filed multiple tickets, or written daily about my own ticket. I have not done this because there is no person called Don Karnage, the messages I've gotten since being put in the refund ticket pool have all been exact duplicates of other messages "refundians" have received, and I'm pretty sure it's just a mail-bot and not an actual person, so I'm not entirely convinced there's a point to the interactions, aside from documenting for the court, both by way of that record, and by way of attempts to follow the suggested dispute process in the EULA, that I've attempted to resolve this informally. Though I am frustrated with CIG/RSI, I also worked retail for a while (everyone should), and I'm mindful that the people I do talk with aren't the ones who make the policies, and they shouldn't be treated like crap (even by me) just because their bosses make poor decisions.
If you're going to tell me that all my money got spent on game development, provide a GAAP or IFRS style accounting of expenditures (remember when open accounting was a kickstarter promise?) . Guess that promise didn't come with LTI.
Scope creep is a problem in development, not a virtue. To say backers should accept infinite delays with infinite scope creep is ridiculous. The problem with CIG is that somehow they've figured out how to sell scope creep... it creates this circumstance where something that's actually bad for development has a monetary incentive...
I made a mistake in pledging. Several of you have said that I should not have backed and did not adequately understand the risks. You are correct. When I backed, I thought the biggest risk was that the game wouldn't raise enough money, and that the game just wouldn't get made. CIG made promises that if that happened, they would give back all the moneys and publish an accounting of things. I did not understand/appreciate/anticipate that there was risk that came on the overfunding side... I mean, if you told me in 2012 that this project would have 200 million bucks in it before the game launched, I probably wouldn't have believed you...
Maybe just a lack of social skills on my part, but I don't understand why so many people lean on the infamous vote in the 19m letter to say whatever you want it to say. Even in the 20m letter, CR says that the stretch goals don't impact release dates and they carefully consider stretch goals to be either things they can bolt on later or things they planned to do later, but could do earlier now... so like...to fault people for believing him... that's not their fault he was grossly misleading people. I backed for one thing, and since that's my money, no matter how other backers vote, I should still get the thing I paid for in the timeline promised or vaguely near it... it's my money, not yours... a bait and switch with voting is still a bait and switch.
I don't think Star Citizen is a scam, I think it is a very, very, very poorly managed project, beset by some of the most common development problems, but coping with the fact that marketing is so aggressive that they keep setting expectations that even with their incredible team of developers, engineers, and artists, the people making the game just can't keep pace with how fast marketing makes new expectations.

Last, to be clear, pledge (the word plastered all over their store) has a definition already... https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/pledge . The key thing here is that though the possession changes hands, ownership does not. The money is still mine until they've fulfilled the contract... that hasn't happened yet... they haven't made either game, and the physical products in my game package certainly aren't in my hands. I don't think it's unfair to demand, even by way of court, that CIG either gives me my money back, or produce an accurate accounting of to where money has gone. In 2012, my golden ticket asked me to embark on a 24 month journey with them (seemingly meaning end of 2014)... by 2014, there were some issues, and scope creep, so it was still a couple years out... in 2016 though, SQ42 was right around the corner, and there was this slide show of 3.0-3.4 patches that would happen "every couple of months"... 3.0 was a full stanton system, and it was going to come "maybe even by the end of this year"... so maybe the SC could be beta in 2018, but we'd have SQ42 to play in the meanwhile... now we're in 2018, there's a "roadmap" that doesn't lead to the MVP for Star Citizen and is missing critical path components to get there... there's not even a roadmap for SQ42, so who even knows... and everyone's saying oh hey, don't worry, it'll be just 2 or 3 more years... but I just don't want to be on this ride any more... I hope you all end up with the game you're looking for, especially those of you who like MMOs, but this isn't the game I backed for, and this certainly isn't the customer-focused scrappy little underdog company that I backed.

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8pznyp/some_thoughts_from_a_longterm_backer_which_really/e0fnico/

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Rubbish, SQ42 is just around the corner! The lack of NPC AI is just a minor setback in a single player game.

In other news, this made me giggle.

Yes! While flying in a straight like you can get out of your chair and.... erm.... mop the floor?

It's so you can walk around your jpeg for no reason, admiring the functionless greebles for no apparent reason or gameplay task.

Last thing I'd personally want to do while flying a jpeg through space is leave the controls to go on some magical trot through the interior for no reason other than "hey look, I can be an airplane hostess and serve pretend drinks to whoever hasn't glitched the gently caress right through the hull and out into empty space".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Imagine the percentage of development time spent on something that isn't needed. Imagine how much further along this game might be without this bullshit stopping them cold.

Actually, the minutiae are the only thing, besides ships, that they are able to actually make progress on. For all the actually important stuff they have been stuck taking one step forward and then two back since the time they decided to try to make the game, around 3 years ago.

So, probably, the game would be further behind minus all the stupid word on irrelevant crap.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Upvoted for truth! :D

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Goon = Laughs at all the stupid things CIG and their backers does = Goons laugh = Goons are a cult.

Citizens = Emotionally (psychotically for some) and financially invested in a scheme to make a computer game that the company have demonstrated are not capable of making =Citizens aggressively defend company = Citizens are not a cult.

loving weird tbh.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

It's sad to see how many of those comments come within inches of self-awareness.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It's sad to see how many of those comments come within inches of self-awareness.

I deal with 64-bit precision using metric thank you very much.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Colostomy Bag posted:

I deal with 64-bit precision using metric thank you very much.

From my understanding of how the developers cheat to fit the game in the constraints of the engine, the commenters come within 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000254cm of self awareness, but then a rounding error causes an internal collision and sends them flying to the other side of the universe.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Much criticism in that thread, and the Russian troll farm / SC defense squad seems notably absent. Do they not work on Sundays?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/JlHmg0T.gifv

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Beet Wagon posted:

I might just be missing the joke here but is that a thing that actually happened because :piss:

At work so was not able to dig too deep, but yeah. Mentally healthy ds poster got Derek's name etched into a bullet while at a gun show. They caught a quick ban for it but still a thing which happened.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Star Citizer: snip to share as screenshots on Something Awful as they laugh

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So I tried googling it but couldn't find any good results; why did Freespace 2 fail? It's kinda weird when all the results were "a masterpiece" and so on.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't care if this is a couple pages back I just wanna agree.

Funny thing is Mass Effect tried to ape the Star Flight / Star Control 2 revelations (I think the former informed the latter) and failed so loving hard.

They very horrible tried to tie themselves to the Star Flight type genre at the outset, including stuff like exploration and gathering materials and building up your vehicles.

Turns out it was really just another Mass Effect cookie cutter game, complete with Mass Effect characters everywhere in the new unexplored alien galaxy. It was disappointing and they got the treatment and ratings they deserved. Not only did they mislead about the premise of the game, it also was not good even as a mass effect entry.

Oh well!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Yeah, also don't forget that whenever anyone would mention how good Freespace 2 was or recommend it he would lose his mind because he thought Crobbler's 4th or 5th lovely cinematic cutscene game was a masterpiece instead so he would rant at length about how lovely and awful Freespace 2 was.

Not only did he have no qualifications to work for CIG other than slapfighting on the internet he is also terminally retarded and can't recognize a good space sim.

This is precisely part of the reason I feel he was removed from CIG I general, outside of his sick "joke site". He was a toxic employee who couldn't see past his dreams.

Imagine working on a project with him that is not Wing Commander. He probably couldn't ever shut up about it, and everybody got sick of his poo poo.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Can a real development team please just do Subnautica in space, and have it situated in that space graveyard that you play for a bit in Dead Space 3?
I'll buy your equivalent of an Idris if you find a way to liscence the Homeworld universe.

Also worth noting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkh2mdgD2Dc

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fCuO7JEy4

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 10, 2018

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Agony Aunt posted:

What a great idea redchris.
Bahahaha!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

So I tried googling it but couldn't find any good results; why did Freespace 2 fail? It's kinda weird when all the results were "a masterpiece" and so on.

Long and short of it is:

1) Interplay was in dire straits. They couldn't afford to absorb any losses, and needed a smash hit to stay above water.

2) Space sims were on the decline. To quote:

quote:

According to the figures, Wing Commander III sold about 400,000 units, and had revenue of $15.9 million. Wing Commander IV sold about 170,000 total units, with revenue of $7.9 million. Wing Commander: Prophecy sold about 195,000 units, and posted revenue of $6.7 million. Obviously, Origin and Electronic Arts had to discount Prophecy quite a bit to hit those sales figures because revenue was down from Wing Commander IV. When you look at the pattern, you'll see successful games, but declining revenues. It's no surprise that Origin pulled the plug on single-player games as a result. So how did Interplay's Descent FreeSpace: The Great War do? It sold about 100,000 units and earned nearly $4 million in revenue.

3) Consoles were emerging as a powerful market, drawing sales of potential customers away from PC game sales, leaving mostly the enthusiasts who had difficulty propping the market up on their own.

4) A massive crackdown on piracy soured the market further.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Sabreseven posted:

Goon = Laughs at all the stupid things CIG and their backers does = Goons laugh = Goons are a cult.

Citizens = Emotionally (psychotically for some) and financially invested in a scheme to make a computer game that the company have demonstrated are not capable of making =Citizens aggressively defend company = Citizens are not a cult.

loving weird tbh.

"Give me a crowdfunding campaign long enough and I will scam the earth." - Parpimedes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Exinos posted:

At work so was not able to dig too deep, but yeah. Mentally healthy ds poster got Derek's name etched into a bullet while at a gun show. They caught a quick ban for it but still a thing which happened.

that is loving nuts.