Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The only way I was able to find out was to copy the keys from the "Unclaimed Gifts" tab in my account and see what it said. It also does not erase or mark gifts that have expired, and the only way I can find out that they have expired is via the previous method. Very bad design.

Frankly, I'm not sure why game codes expire, being that they aren't eggs or milk. There may be a good reason for it, but I always assume corporate cynicism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

JustJeff88 posted:

The only way I was able to find out was to copy the keys from the "Unclaimed Gifts" tab in my account and see what it said. It also does not erase or mark gifts that have expired, and the only way I can find out that they have expired is via the previous method. Very bad design.

Frankly, I'm not sure why game codes expire, being that they aren't eggs or milk. There may be a good reason for it, but I always assume corporate cynicism.

I think it's so people don't hoard codes to re-sell/trade after the giveaway ends.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GOG Connect added some new games.

https://www.gog.com/connect

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Summer sale's up until the 18th. Xenonauts is free for the next 48 hours or so. Spend five bucks to get a bonus copy of Sunless Sea, $20 to get a bonus copy or RiME.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Kins posted:

Summer sale's up until the 18th. Xenonauts is free for the next 48 hours or so. Spend five bucks to get a bonus copy of Sunless Sea, $20 to get a bonus copy or RiME.

That’s a bit steep for xenonauts.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Xenonauts is a much better X-Com game than Firaxis' XCOM games. It's good.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 4, 2018

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

Xenonauts is a much better X-Com game than Firaxis' XCOM games. It's good.

I'll take a look; I found the XCOM remake tedious as gently caress.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I really wanted to like Xenonauts, but its presentation was as drab as a.. A very boring thing to look at.

On the other hand, Firaxis XCOM has presentation oozing out of every seam, but has no real substance once you get the pattern down.

Original X-COM was lightning in a bottle, probably the premier example of that phrase.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I didn't like either game. Xenonauts had serious UI issues on top of being repetitive. Firaxis XCOM on the other hand was really shallow, felt like a mobile game. The last mission was literally a long boring corridor.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

GreenNight posted:

GOG Connect added some new games.

https://www.gog.com/connect

This reminded me I have FTL and i haven't played it in ages. Thanks!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Xenonauts has absolutely no personality but it's a solid game

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm the guy who likes the bland appearance of Xenonauts but bounced off the gameplay. It was exactly what I wanted, and I got plenty of it in the first two missions I played, and was done. I'm not mad I paid 20 bucks for it, because I'm hoping their next game (if it ever comes) is good, but I shoulda known myself better.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 4, 2018

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Xenonauts is a faithful recreation of Microprose's X-COM: UFO Defense in a modern game engine with decent not great graphics.
Sadly the team who made Xenonauts isn't doing a Terror from the Deep followup, that would have been cool to see. Not sure if ANY of the various X-COM/XCOM/UFO games ever did a Terror from the Deep remake.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 4, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

What was the name of that upcoming, super gory X-COM clone?

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 4, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

THE BAR posted:

What was the name of that upcoming, super gory X-COM clone?
Phoenix Point? If so that's the one that is actually being made by the original X-COM creator.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Phoenix Point? If so that's the one that is actually being made by the original X-COM creator.

Ah yes, that's the one. Thanks.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Sunless Sea
SZ746567304F85345H

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012
Unreal Gold, expires June 7:
A7EA2-51268-82865-75AAB

vvv You're welcome, happy to help.

Mick Jaggoff fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 8, 2018

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Mick Jaggoff posted:

Unreal Gold, expires June 7:
A7EA2-51268-82865-75AAB
Thanks for this. I was disappointed about missing out on Unreal before.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
This is for Sunless Sea

?Z747ECC6793AC215Q

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

General Emergency posted:

This is for Sunless Sea

?Z747ECC6793AC215Q

Thanks! Looking forward to giving this a spin.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Hey team! Crossposting from the grognard thread, but I thought this might be a good place to put this:

Apparently the dev of Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord (a renowned rear end in a top hat) just found out via an RPS interview that CMBO is for sale on GOG.com and calls that "a problem," so if it's something you were considering picking up it might be a good idea to do it sooner rather than later.

gently caress you, Steve.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Squiggle posted:

Hey team! Crossposting from the grognard thread, but I thought this might be a good place to put this:

Apparently the dev of Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord (a renowned rear end in a top hat) just found out via an RPS interview that CMBO is for sale on GOG.com and calls that "a problem," so if it's something you were considering picking up it might be a good idea to do it sooner rather than later.

Developers generally don't have any legal rights to a game, it's usually on the company that produced it (outside of indie poo poo, obviously). Assuming he's not on the board of directors or something I doubt he can actually do anything about it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem with Xenonauts is that it's a game for people nostalgic for X-COM who can just play X-COM. It has no reason to exist.

I like to think of it as a negative proof of games as art. Fun games bring something new and interesting to the table.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

The problem with Xenonauts is that it's a game for people nostalgic for X-COM who can just play X-COM. It has no reason to exist.

I like to think of it as a negative proof of games as art. Fun games bring something new and interesting to the table.

Yeah, they didn’t really update the UI enough to make it easier to play, or add QOL features. They added some depth, but nothing to make it more accessible if you haven’t been playing OG XCOM for the last long while. I played it for a long time, but wasn’t able to get back into xenonauts

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Xenonauts is great in that it's xcom with some of the made-in-1990 edges filed off but it's incredibly soulless

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

some people sat down, one plonked X-COM on the table

the whiteboard read "HOW WOULD THIS MAKE SENSE?"

and they honestly did a very admirable job at it, there's an awful lot of thought put into gameplay/story integration

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I do wish OG XCOM had the feature of "hold the alien ship's/base's command center for three turns to win the map" since trying to root out every single alien can be a real pain in the rear end.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Squiggle posted:

That was a really fun game, but lord I was terrible at it. Holding position when I needed to charge in, charging in I needed to hold. Tanks eliminated immediately. Spotters always dead.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Is Ziggurat (recent free game) worth giving a shot? Description makes it sound like Hexen with some customization, or is it more RPG than that?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's an arena shooter with some roguelike attributes (permadeath and random dungeons). It's nice looking and fun for a while, but there's unfortunately not a lot to it, gameplay-wise.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Kangra posted:

Is Ziggurat (recent free game) worth giving a shot? Description makes it sound like Hexen with some customization, or is it more RPG than that?

Hexen?! Good lord :monocle:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It feels nothing like Hexxen except that weapon ammo is "mana" and some of the weapons are a little reminiscent of Hexxen weapons.

Personally, I thought it was kind of bad. Nothing has any real feedback and it commits the common roguelite FPS mistake of setting everything in a series of narrow rooms that lock themselves behind you when you enter.

It's not terrible, so for the low price of free you can go ahead and give it a shot.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Ziggurat is one of the better roguelike FPSes, but Immortal Redneck has surpassed it in most aspects IMO.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Any idea if GOG is ever going to get the expansion(s) or whatever it is for Aragami? I love stealth games and that one reminds me of the Tenchu games, which I enjoy, but the Steam version has the "Shadow Edition" and the Nightfall DLC. Are those not on the GOG version or am I missing something? GOG's version of Aragami just went on the summer sale and I'd rather like to get it, but I'm afraid that I might not be getting the full experience.

Edit: Never loving mind; looks like I missed something.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

JustJeff88 posted:

Any idea if GOG is ever going to get the expansion(s) or whatever it is for Aragami? I love stealth games and that one reminds me of the Tenchu games, which I enjoy, but the Steam version has the "Shadow Edition" and the Nightfall DLC. Are those not on the GOG version or am I missing something? GOG's version of Aragami just went on the summer sale and I'd rather like to get it, but I'm afraid that I might not be getting the full experience.
Nightfall just dropped today.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Accordion Man posted:

Nightfall just dropped today.

I just learned. I went to recheck GOG for the first time today and there it was.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

Hexen?! Good lord :monocle:

Eh, I don't play such games very often, and they all kind of seem alike to me. I'm watching Selenic Martian's LP of Magus at the moment; maybe that's more apropos?

Anyway, it sounds decent enough to throw it in the 'maybe play this' pile instead of 'only play if nothing else remains'.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Kangra posted:

Eh, I don't play such games very often, and they all kind of seem alike to me. I'm watching Selenic Martian's LP of Magus at the moment; maybe that's more apropos?

Anyway, it sounds decent enough to throw it in the 'maybe play this' pile instead of 'only play if nothing else remains'.

If you end up liking roguelike FPS games at all Immortal Redneck is the way to go. It’s the best of the genre and a great game imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ziggurat is fine but forgettable, play it a few times and you'll have beaten it and seen most of what it has to offer. Worth playing.