Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

One of Olympia's many snails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
man i'm upset i missed the resurgence of CQ but then agian I don't spend much time in GBS

i actually have an identification request to make sure I dont need to bomb my apartmnet or something

been seeing more of these guys, they're like 3mm across and move pretty slowly in a plodding precarious way. six legs, giant abdomen. is this lil guy eating my poo poo? sorry for hte less-than-exquisite photo the light and setup on my bathroom floor isn't ideal

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 10, 2018

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

man i'm upset i missed the resurgence of CQ but then agian I don't spend much time in GBS

i actually have an identification request to make sure I dont need to bomb my apartmnet or something

been seeing more of these guys, they're like 3mm across and move pretty slowly in a plodding precarious way. six legs, giant abdomen. is this lil guy eating my poo poo? sorry for hte less-than-exquisite photo the light and setup on my bathroom floor isn't ideal

A spider beetle. He is probably eating your stuff

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Got bit by a really pretty blue snake today. More of a nibble, really.

The imaginatively named Blue Racer is in fact quite quick.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
So at work today the swallow nest-in-progress had doubled in size but the times I stepped out there to check I did not ever see either bird. Is it normal for them to be away from their nest for long spans during the day? Could something have spooked them away from it? We're close to a noisy road.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Was walking in the woods today, when this Eight Spotted Forester landed on me. Dunno why they are called that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Slo-Tek posted:

Was walking in the woods today, when this Eight Spotted Forester landed on me. Dunno why they are called that.

I'm not usually fond of butterflies (I think they are creepy compared to moths) but that is a nice-looking butterfly.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not usually fond of butterflies (I think they are creepy compared to moths) but that is a nice-looking butterfly.

You probably like it because it's actually a moth.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

You probably like it because it's actually a moth.

Huh, that would indeed explain it.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

The swallows came back! I brought my good camera once I knew their schedule:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Ha, I recognize the look in that first picture. Swallows don't like paparazzi!

Here are some critters in my yard of late.

Haven't seen a hare sit like this before!

Delicious toes.

That bush has too many branches. :smith:

A flock of juvenile blue jays showed up in our tree today!

Braving the bird bath.

Naptime!

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 17, 2018

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
:goleft:

Bird looks just entirely done with this poo poo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lovely phone zoom/crops jobs but really it's impressive that i was able to take these pics at all on a smartphone

Also, it's apparently the summer of the turtle and I keep finding these guys everywhere

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 17, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So no pictures, because the light sucked, but as I was walking to my car last night after work, I saw a flock of flamingos fly over, headed west. I counted sixty two, which is super exciting.

I’ve never seen them in the wild before, was pretty cool.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I guess the blue jay family is sticking around!

There are six fledglings in total and they're super loud but so adorable. Our yard is pretty safe so I hope they do okay!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

cool Ant Lion in my kitchen tonight.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Omg that shot of them in the bird bath! :neckbeard:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Buds :love:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Yesterday my cat was causing a fuss in the woods behind my house so I went to take a look and he had some sort of rodent cornered under a tree. I managed to get a picture before it ran away.

I thought it was just a regular gray squirrel at first since it was the right size and had a fluffy tail, but looking at the picture it had an elongated nose which none of the squirrels I've ever seen around here have. Also, it seemed intent on staying on the ground instead of just climbing a tree and getting away.

Searching online, it looks a lot like the Perny's Long-nosed squirrel, but all the information I can find on them say they are only found in Asia and I'm in Canada.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Maybe a bushy-tailed woodrat?

I wasn't familiar with them either until our local wildlife rescue posted some pictures.

Lian
Nov 29, 2005

Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
Hi

I took these on the beach in Lanzarote, and was a bit worried that what looks like a Portuguese man o' war jelly was there.
https://imgur.com/BqegekC

https://imgur.com/U0700Oz

I spotted some floating on top of the water, told the teacher as I was leaving the water and he got everyone to move out. Sadly, I wasn't able to take pics of the ones floating 1 m away from me. It looked really cool though.

Growing up near the beach, I saw a lot of harmless jellyfish and was stung by quite a few. Sometimes you barely notice, and other times you were itchy for days. Watching a lot of documentaries prepared me for not touching it on the beach and getting the gently caress out of the water when I saw some floating there. But it look unreal. Like a fairy tale floating castle. People I was with didn't know that this little fella would hurt and might mean no surfing for you.

Lian fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 21, 2018

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I guess the blue jay family is sticking around!

There are six fledglings in total and they're super loud but so adorable. Our yard is pretty safe so I hope they do okay!

I'm sure they'll be fine. Generally when something fucks with blue jays or comes in the general vicinity of their nest, they regret it instantly.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

In retrospect it makes a lot of sense that you should buy rain barrels with lids on them, but unfortunately I had to learn the hard way.

Sorry little squirrel. I'll do better in the future. :smith:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/2SvPU1Z.mp4

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:owned:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I keep seeing what MUST be a house finch, because I'm in central Kentucky and it's summertime, but it's SHOCKINGLY red which makes me think it's a purple finch, but Audobon says they're only here in the winter time. Could he be confused? Trying to get a photo but he's flighty.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Can anyone ID a caterpillar? He was chewing down on some tree saplings in my garden and when I picked him up to photograph him the little fucker jumped at me. :gonk:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Possibly an Armyworm?

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Captain Invictus posted:

Possibly an Armyworm?

Aren't those small? This guy was almost as long as my palm.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
uh, jesus christ. I have no idea then.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 27, 2018

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Is this some sort of critter residue? There’s a lot of it and it always comes back in the same spot (right next to a wall) even after I clean it up

Dime for reference

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is...is that on a bed? do you have bedbugs? because those look like bedbug poops, but...you'd probably have noticed bedbugs if there was that much poop reappearing daily.

edit: actually zooming in fully on PC, they look kinda seed-like, so hopefully not bedbug poop. Because that would be a dangerous amount of bedbugs.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

its on an elevated shelf next to a wall, localized entirely in like a 1 foot area. mysterious

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Kinda looks like a lot of mouse poo poo honestly. Saw a remodel where someone found a similar scene after removing a under cabinet mounted microwave.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Definitely not mouse poop, they are way too tiny to be that(remember, that's a dime for scale).

I'd recommend setting up a recording device to see what makes the mess if it keeps showing back up like that. Make sure to post it here too :v:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A friend of mine has these little beetles in her home that make similar messes in similar spaces, but idk.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Christ if they're from beetles you have a serious infestation. Hopefully they're not the type to destroy wood, paper, or other biological materials like museum beetles.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
....it looks kind of like roach poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'm gonna guess termite poo poo.

That is probably something you need to contact a professional about regardless.