Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Fallout 4: Boston Needs Moms.

I'm not sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Fallout 4: Another poo poo Post Needs Our Help

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Keeshhound posted:

I'm not sorry

So long maternal plan!

I am sorry

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
momstergeddon

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i've been trying to consider the voiced protag situation from the angle of "which games have i enjoyed that did this" and the immediate answer that pops into my head is The Boss from Saints Row 3/4. it felt like all of the VOs were having a great time (and obviously the script goes off the rails gonzo in a good way) and it really enhanced my enjoyment of the game.

sure, The Boss isn't you-the-player, but you're controlling The Boss and if they are having fun, it makes it a lot easier to get into the game. I feel like John Fallout in 4 could have been much more bearable if it was established that you are playing as John Fallout and not an idealized version of yourself. You can still pick how John Fallout responds to situations and other NPCs, but they can write the responses with a much more consistent tone because they don't have to pretend that they player is the actual character and that their motivations are wild and varied.

I think Alpha Protocol as janky as it was handled the aspects of this the best. All the different options were fleshed out and completely valid to take, with a few curve balls thrown in if you mostly acted one way, but say tried to cheese something by taking a different approach to it completely. One of the bosses I remember will escape unless you goad him into fighting you, but you need to be an rear end in a top hat. If you were a dick in all your previous interactions he would fall for it, if you were like balanced and professional he would know your trying to bait him and gently caress off. Or you could meet a sleazy contact for information, if you crack jokes with him he gives you the info and doesn't rat on you. You can also beat it out of him, but then the mission is harder because he sold you out because... well you smashed his head into a bar.

Plus you can just always pick the best option without sounding too cheesy as you are spy who ostensibly has some training in how to manipulate people instead of Joe/Jane Pre-Apocalypse Schmo.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 10, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

Plus you can just always pick the best option without sounding too cheesy as you are spy who ostensibly has some training in how to manipulate people instead of Joe/Jane Pre-Apocalypse Schmo.

This is the important part IMO. No matter what, Thorton is Thorton and not just a cypher for the player, they even make a point to limit how far you can customize his appearance. The schizophrenic nature of the dialogue wheel is explained by the fact that Thorton is a trained spy whos goal is to manipulate those around him, and this is emphasized by there not being a 'correct' approach; if you make an ally like you then you get a bonus....and if you make them hate you then you also get a bonus.

By comparison, while the Sole Survivor has some default personality, the dialogue paths have the exact opposite goal; almost all of them terminate in the same result, and the four choices serve as attempts to allow the player to define SS. It's playing to voiced protag + dialogue wheels' weaknesses.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I'm very much in favour of playing specific people in games with voiced protagonists. You basically sacrifice character customisation and run the risk of every protagonist turning into a brown haired brooding white man, but Geralt of Rivia was a way better protagonist than "The Inquisitor" from Dragon Age. It's also nice when other characters refer to you by name rather than with some dumb title like "The Pathfinder".

You can also do halfsies like in Mass Effect, where Shepard has a name and a rank but you can still customise gender and appearance to some extent.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

lmao gently caress FO3. TTW time

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 10, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Keeshhound posted:

I'm not sorry

You'll want this, then.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Also I guess its time to set up NV for a playthrough because at least that poo poo didn't break on me mid game.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

heh

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

marshmallow creep posted:

You'll want this, then.

Yeah people can't see that's on the Slab on their phones.

Way to give a heads-up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I found out that if you ignore Diamond City and make a beeline for Goodneighbor you can actually go into the Memory Den early and Irma will let you relive your memory of Shaun's kidnapping.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I found out that if you ignore Diamond City and make a beeline for Goodneighbor you can actually go into the Memory Den early and Irma will let you relive your memory of Shaun's kidnapping.

you can do that anytime up until you kill kellogg and tell valentine about it

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
is there a way to make fallout 2 combat more enjoyable if I dislike turn based games in general? its aggressively bad and playing this poo poo is a nightmare so far.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Gort posted:

Yeah, I'm very much in favour of playing specific people in games with voiced protagonists. You basically sacrifice character customisation and run the risk of every protagonist turning into a brown haired brooding white man, but Geralt of Rivia was a way better protagonist than "The Inquisitor" from Dragon Age. It's also nice when other characters refer to you by name rather than with some dumb title like "The Pathfinder".

You can also do halfsies like in Mass Effect, where Shepard has a name and a rank but you can still customise gender and appearance to some extent.

Yeah that is an issue with Bioware, they moved pretty far in the "blank slate" character, which I think was a reaction to Dragon Age 2 being bad. I also would give kudo's to Mass Effect 1 where Renegade vs Paragon mostly was a choice between pragmatism vs idealism, which got burned out of the series over 2 where being Renegade made you look like a demon monster.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Well we're getting a trailer right now on the MS show. WV setting confirmed. Spotted what I believe is the Capitol building in Charleston and the main WVU building in Morgantown. This is gonna be weird.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well we're getting a trailer right now on the MS show. WV setting confirmed. Spotted what I believe is the Capitol building in Charleston and the main WVU building in Morgantown. This is gonna be weird.

looks beautiful and it's neat that there are actually colors in a Fallout game. I'm cautiously optimistic?

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I , a random dumbass on the internet, think it looks good from what they revealed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spcP97RKgYY

76 features some new enemies

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Well, the fanbase has been asking for a lusher Fallout game for ages, and Bethesda finally delivered. I'm a bit surprised, considering the game is so close to the war I'd imagine they'd go for a more devastated look, but it definitely looks pretty.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

buglord posted:

is there a way to make fallout 2 combat more enjoyable if I dislike turn based games in general? its aggressively bad and playing this poo poo is a nightmare so far.

"I hate turn based combat so I made a combat character and hate the combat in this turn based game"

You can complete fallout 2 without ever killing anything, makes a sneaky talking character.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Before the trailer played, Howard said 76 is 4 times the size of 4.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Well, the fanbase has been asking for a lusher Fallout game for ages, and Bethesda finally delivered. I'm a bit surprised, considering the game is so close to the war I'd imagine they'd go for a more devastated look, but it definitely looks pretty.

Figures. 20 years after the apocalypse all is green and lush. 200 years after, dusty bullshit. The anachronism is palpable.

20 years after the apocalypse is the time when the overall aesthetic of the East Coast games makes sense; irradiated ruins full of people scrabbling so hard to survive they have no time to clean up. 200 years after is when things should be lushly green and overgrown where settlements haven't sprung up to reclaim buildings, clean up, and build new structures. Has nobody at Bethesda EVER watched Life After People?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I wonder if they plan on explaining how everything else turned so brown in the years to come.

E: From what the said and showed it sounds like settlement building will play a bigger part

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
The newest E3 footage is fuckin gorgeous looking, drat.

And 4x the size of Fallout 4’s map :kingsley:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

buglord posted:

Your skills might suck. FO1/2 are turn based but they're not very tactical. Winning combat is usually just a question of having the right gear/skills (cheesy exploits notwithstanding). You're going to have a bad time if your build's bad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

sounds pretty great considering Tood Howard has never lied before

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Your skills might suck. FO1/2 are turn based but they're not very tactical. Winning combat is usually just a question of having the right gear/skills (cheesy exploits notwithstanding). You're going to have a bad time if your build's bad.

Just roll a sniper and aim at every last eyeball in the wasteland. Crits for days.

Also I am turgid at the idea of traversing 400% more land.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Of course the one thing we know about 76 is that whatever you're doing fails miserably because the east coast is still a pile of poo poo years later

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I like how they finally made the wasteland not look uhh... look desert wastelandy?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Rinkles posted:

He's just saying it'll require 120 GB hard drive space.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Chronojam posted:

I wonder if they plan on explaining how everything else turned so brown in the years to come.

E: From what the said and showed it sounds like settlement building will play a bigger part

It looks like the terrain is quite mountainous, so if Vault 76 is deep in the appalachian mountains, isn't it possible it was just in an area not nuked?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Well, it makes sense that West Virginia would be less war torn than DC or California because it'd be less targeted during a nuclear strike.

Reveilled posted:

It looks like the terrain is quite mountainous, so if Vault 76 is deep in the appalachian mountains, isn't it possible it was just in an area not nuked?

Yes, this. Everyone was busy bombing cities I bet and left the mountains alone.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I really hope they don't go with a voiced protagonist again, it was way neater to have agency in your decisions.

So the timeline is in the future after the nukes or shortly thereafter? It looks like the world is in good shape and there's big futuristic machinery chugging.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Garrand posted:

He's just saying it'll require 120 GB hard drive space.

It's going to be the same playable area with 3x the landmass devoted to impassable mountains

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, there's not much to target in West Virginia, so it'd be mostly unscathed. Also seems like a good place to put a control vault without horrendous experimentation as well.

Can't wait to see how badly optimized this one is and what gameplay mechanics they'll have cribbed from Witcher 3.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Plot Twist: 3 of those are DLC-only areas

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, it makes sense that West Virginia would be less war torn than DC or California because it'd be less targeted during a nuclear strike.

Yes, this. Everyone was busy bombing cities I bet and left the mountains alone.

West Virginia - even in alternate timelines it's still such a hosed up hell hole and not worth a bullet nuke.

Trailer still makes me wonder how this game is going to play out; it kept cycling among a lot of vault dwellers so it makes me wonder if the rumours of an online cooperative thing are true. Looks pretty though, whatever it is. And it looks like there may be another pre-war segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Rinkles posted:

What percentage of Star Citizens universe is this