Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Psychotic Weasel posted:

West Virginia - even in alternate timelines it's still such a hosed up hell hole and not worth a bullet nuke.

The inbred hillbilly cannibal faction in the southern part of the state will make the Legion looks like saints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sharknado slashfic posted:

What percentage of Star Citizens universe is this

Way smaller, but you get to enjoy the same janky animations and physics errors!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I watched that noclip docu that game out about bethesda a week ago and while it's like ok and bethesda has done stuff, they skipped right over new vegas and basically todd howard and the other people talked about new vegas like it was a terrible relative.

And now 76 looks dumb. I want the obsidian humour and self awareness back drat

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vinylshadow posted:

Plot Twist: 3 of those are DLC-only areas

I mean, that would certainly fit the trend of the DLCs being the best part of Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

I'm really digging the look of this new game, and all of the new monsters. What are the odds that Mothman shows up as a boss? High I hope!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

KoRMaK posted:

I watched that noclip docu that game out about bethesda a week ago and while it's like ok and bethesda has done stuff, they skipped right over new vegas and basically todd howard and the other people talked about new vegas like it was a terrible relative.

I haven't watched it, but afaik it was a doc on Bethesda not Fallout (that apparently glosses over pre-Morrowind games). so it makes sense not to focus on nv

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean, that would certainly fit the trend of the DLCs being the best part of Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

I'm really digging the look of this new game, and all of the new monsters. What are the odds that Mothman shows up as a boss? High I hope!

I want it to be the RED DEATH of the game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I thought the big hulky thing looked crap and, dare I say, budget

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
obviously we still need to see gameplay, but as long as it's a single player game and not some weird co-op game I'm excited for it :shobon: I guess I'm in the minority here who wouldn't mind if it's like "Fallout 4 but more, in new areas"

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

I didn't get that sense at all? They literally got asked if they were involved and they were like "no, we just sort of had a couple of discussions but otherwise we were busy, but we trusted them because they knew Fallout" with their producer going "I thought it was really cool! It was nice to experience one of these games without knowing everything about it for once."

Then they moved on, because... what else was there to say?

If there was any bad blood between Bethesda and Obsidian, it was probably at the management level anyway.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Watching the the trailer once more to see what other details stood out it does seem like it does indeed take place in West Virginia as everyone guessed. One of the locations shown is a place called 'Watoga Municipal Center' and a sign for Watoga Estates. So it looks like we start somewhere in the Watoga State Park region near the Shenandoah Valley. There's no major metropolitan centers near there for hundreds of miles in any direction so you'd probably be pretty sheltered from any attack.

edit:
Also, if you missed Todd speaking because you weren't aware he was giving a presentation (like me) you can watch his segment here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtSMPAN7Ys. Rewind to the -1:00:00 mark for the Fallout bits.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 10, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

They mostly skipped over NV and only mentioned where it was relevant to the history of Fallout because it was called "The History of Bethesda Game Studios" and New Vegas was not developed by Bethesda Game Studios.
This is even more dumb then when people were upset that New Vegas wasn't mentioned constantly during FO4's marketing.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

If there was any bad blood between Bethesda and Obsidian, it was probably at the management level anyway.

Is there any proof of "bad blood" other than people online asserting that because New Vegas was better than 3, Bethesda must be super jealous?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I didn't get that sense at all? They literally got asked if they were involved and they were like "no, we just sort of had a couple of discussions but otherwise we were busy, but we trusted them because they knew Fallout" with their producer going "I thought it was really cool! It was nice to experience one of these games without knowing everything about it for once."

Then they moved on, because... what else was there to say?

Yea I guess so. The "I thought it was really great" seemed kind of insincere to me though but maybe that's just how I interpret all of what howard says

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Is there any proof of "bad blood" other than people online asserting that because New Vegas was better than 3, Bethesda must be super jealous?

Not really. Presumably it's mostly based on Obsidian being shafted out of a bonus by missing their Metacritic target by 1 point, but, at least publicly, Obsidian and multiple devs have said their relationship is amicable and they'd happily work on another Fallout (duh)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sorry:

Holy poo poo Chris Avellone presenting dying light 2!

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Bethesda presentation at 9:30 PM EST tonight. :f5:

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

If Obsidian ever gets another shot at Fallout, I really hope we get to see Lily and Tabitha again.

beth tried to bankrupt and cannibalize obsidian so i hope obsidian stays far the gently caress away from them

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Blast of Confetti posted:

beth tried to bankrupt and cannibalize obsidian so i hope obsidian stays far the gently caress away from them
not really, that's been an ongoing problem for obsidian (caused by management) that bethesda actually had fairly little to do with

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

What happened was this: someone on Twitter asked Chris Avellone, who at the time was at Obsidian, whether the sales of New Vegas shouldn't have protected the company from the layoffs they were currently going through (Stormlands had just been cancelled) and he explained that the company didn't get royalties from the game per contract, just a Metacritic bonus clause they didn't meet. This caused a huge discussion about Metacritic bonus for a few weeks, which journos knew about but the average player knew nothing about. Avellone also deleted the tweet, but the damage was done.

Obsidian's official position, according to their CEO, was (paraphrase) "it would be nice if they had given us the bonus anyway, but we didn't even ask for that in the contract in the first place." Bethesda just never commented on the controversy.

There is also a segment of the fanbase that believes that Bethesda is really pissed about New Vegas getting so much acclaim online, which somehow includes Patricia Hernandez (formerly of Kotaku), who once wrote an article about how weird it must be for Bethesda to see people claim Fallout: New Vegas is better than Fallout 3 and 4. But overall, there's 0 proof that anyone at Bethesda was even remotely bothered by the praise Bethesda got. They did deliberately chose not to draw parallels between Fallout 4 and Fallout 3 during the marketing campaign for 4, though, but I think that's more marketing strategy than an indication of the internal opinion. Plus, it's an easy way to keep the spotlight on a single developer.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

not really, that's been an ongoing problem for obsidian (caused by management) that bethesda actually had fairly little to do with

Obsidian as a studio can be described as like a coked out rockstar who can put on a hell of a show when they are sober and can be arsed to show up. The talent is there just sometimes its not worth the bullshit.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Rinkles posted:

Sorry:

Holy poo poo Chris Avellone presenting dying light 2!
They also finished the stream with a Cyberpunk 2077 teaser, so I guess we're going to see more of that this year too. Could be a good year for RPGs depending on how the next couple of days go.

Xbox conference is over for the day but the link I posted earlier will also be where you can live stream the Bethesda E3 presentation in 3 hours and 45 minutes.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 10, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Building walls and making America great again. :banjo:

Fallout 76 is gonna be grand.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah, isn't this why Bethesda has the rights to Fallout in the first place? Because Obsidian had to sell it? Because Obsidian is really good at making games, but SUPER bad at managing money (a trait that is unfortunately common among many game developers)?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The 85 Metacritic thing was an extra bonus Bethesda offered to incentive Obsidian a little further to make a good job and they failed in the end, it was all Obsidian's fault, as Chris Avellone himself confirmed

Chris Avellone posted:

It is widely believed that when that statement was revealed, that it was blaming Bethesda.

It wasn't, it was recognizing we as a studio should have done better - and even a little bit better (1%) could have had huge benefits (and we could have kept people we had to let go).

My feelings then are the same as my feelings now, and I stand by that. It's an unpopular stance (the anti-underdog stance usually is compared to the underdog needs a little more training montage moments), but I believe it's the correct one.

Bethesda was trying to encourage us to do a quality job, they didn't have to, and we missed the mark - but within the realm where it was clear we could have fixed it.

I wrote post-mortems as reminders and plans to myself about how we could fix this in the future (clear hierarchy, keep the people who can make the decisions focused on reviewing the content and enacting change and finding bugs vs. adding more features/getting lost in the weeds, etc.).

frajaq fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 10, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, isn't this why Bethesda has the rights to Fallout in the first place? Because Obsidian had to sell it? Because Obsidian is really good at making games, but SUPER bad at managing money (a trait that is unfortunately common among many game developers)?

No, Interplay sold the rights to Bethesda. Obsidian was founded by Interplay exiles. Obsidian never had the rights to Fallout.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I wish it didn’t look so green. The world is supposed to barren and ruined.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

frajaq posted:

The 85 Metacritic thing was an extra bonus Bethesda offered to incentive Obsidian a little further to make a good job and they failed in the end, it was all Obsidian's fault, as Chris Avellone himself confirmed

Feargus Urqhart needs to face a people's tribune of gamers for the crimes he has committed

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gimme dat mothman

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Top Gun posted:

there's always Fallout 3 :pram:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Top Gun posted:

Maybe RAGE 2 might be more your style

the Fallout games have always had a theme of rebuilding the world

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rinkles posted:

No, Interplay sold the rights to Bethesda. Obsidian was founded by Interplay exiles. Obsidian never had the rights to Fallout.

Ah, I see. Still doesn't seem like Bethesda is the bad guy in this.

Dandywalken posted:

Gimme dat mothman

Do you think that winged beast in the trailer is Mothman?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
so the trailer certainly makes it look like another traditional style Fallout game, so was that Kotaku journalist on Twitter last week just full of poo poo?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Trailer looks neat, definitely interested in hearing more about the game tonight.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Bardeh posted:

so the trailer certainly makes it look like another traditional style Fallout game, so was that Kotaku journalist on Twitter last week just full of poo poo?

we're gonna find out in a couple of hours!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bardeh posted:

the trailer showed next to nothing about how it plays, it could easily still be some weird multiplayer thing based off of what we saw

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bardeh posted:

He was saying a lot of gameplay was still up in the air, and that development had been pretty contentious, so it could have been one thing at one point and another thing by now. Who knows.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

buglord posted:

is there a way to make fallout 2 combat more enjoyable if I dislike turn based games in general? its aggressively bad and playing this poo poo is a nightmare so far.

The secret with the old Fallout games, as is the case with almost all "classic" RPGs, is that they aren't actually very fun to play. I managed to complete the first one but I got completely burned out only a few hours into Fallout 2. The thought of having to do that god-awful tutorial dungeon again has stopped me from ever giving it another shot.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Do you think that winged beast in the trailer is Mothman?

Unlikely but I hope so.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cargohills posted:

The secret with the old Fallout games, as is the case with almost all "classic" RPGs, is that they aren't actually very fun to play.

Nah. There's always a hump, sometimes insurmountable, but it's often worth it if you manage to acclimatize yourself to the standards (or lack thereof) of a bygone era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rakkman