Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/1005907927868297222?s=19

There were multiple white house people with $60k jobs that had to tape together Trump's ripped up poo poo from his garbage to make sure that the Presidential Records Act was being followed.

Both of them at one point got their top secret clearances pulled and were forced to sign resignation letters. There are more of them still in that office where their only job is to tape poo poo back together.

Maybe Trump or someone close to him found out they were preserving stuff and for what ever reason the hair furor didn't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i'm still stunned by saying we will stop all trade with g7 nations.

i got nothing funny to say about it, it's the dumbest thing i've ever heard

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

One of these days Trump's going to follow through for real on one opf his brain cheese tweets and the markets are going to wake up the morning after and finally real that oh poo poo, Donald loving Trump is the president.

But until then, good times are here to stay!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's also his dumbest bluff ever. It's like pronouncing to the entire table that he has a Royal Flush with a bunch of low off suit cards showing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

psydude posted:

It's also his dumbest bluff ever. It's like pronouncing to the entire table that he has a Royal Flush with a bunch of low off suit cards showing.

Yeah I mean every other world leader knows it's fraudulent on its face. But... I dunno., If I was Merkel or Trudeau or any of them, I'd be going 'jesus, if this is what they're going to elect, it's really time we started looking to ourselves because they can't be relied on ever again.'

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

psydude posted:

As problematic as it would be, a small part of me wants them to call it and just cut him out. Dropped from the G7, cut off from trade, the works, and just let him spew his crap into the wind with no-one left to abuse.

But no, half-assed :decorum: will win out and the pissbaby will have to wait even longer to learn about consequences.

He'd probably just blame the democrats (or clinton, since she's such a great bogeyman for his base) anyways.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

kupachek posted:

As problematic as it would be, a small part of me wants them to call it and just cut him out. Dropped from the G7, cut off from trade, the works, and just let him spew his crap into the wind with no-one left to abuse.

But no, half-assed :decorum: will win out and the pissbaby will have to wait even longer to learn about consequences.

He'd probably just blame the democrats (or clinton, since she's such a great bogeyman for his base) anyways.

the economy would stop dude. literally stop.

like, it's fraudulent on its face because it's literally impossible to do such a thing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Terrifying Effigies posted:

One of these days Trump's going to follow through for real on one opf his brain cheese tweets and the markets are going to wake up the morning after and finally real that oh poo poo, Donald loving Trump is the president.

But until then, good times are here to stay!

Trump is blaming democrats for families getting separated and a large amount of people believe it.

He will just blame democrats. Party politics is bigger than democracy.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

the economy would stop dude. literally stop.

like, it's fraudulent on its face because it's literally impossible to do such a thing.

Being outside of his immediate influence, it wouldn't effect me quite as badly or as quickly, which is why I can entertain such thoughts.

Short of him causing the balloon to go up, I'm comfortably insulated from the bulk of his insanity.

So, if trade stops, would that be enough to get people off their asses to remove him from office? Because if thats the case, maybe that is what needs to happen.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

kupachek posted:

Being outside of his immediate influence, it wouldn't effect me quite as badly or as quickly, which is why I can entertain such thoughts.

Short of him causing the balloon to go up, I'm comfortably insulated from the bulk of his insanity.

So, if trade stops, would that be enough to get people off their asses to remove him from office? Because if thats the case, maybe that is what needs to happen.

If it causes the market to irreversibly tank, yes. But at that point the damage is done and they’ll just blame democrats.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

kupachek posted:

if you live on the planet earth, you are immediately within the influence of the American economy. if this happened it would be very, very bad for everybody.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

kupachek posted:

This would require republican voters to believe (senator / state Rep name) over Donald Trump and not vote out (senator / state rep) immediately after. So, it would require voters to blame Trump instead of Obama, Clinton, ISIS, every other thing it could be spun into. Until then the elected GOP have only shown that they are completely willing to abandon any/ all principles both personal and conservative if that doesn't endanger their re-election.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Like most extreme policies, if enacted, the requisite beauacracies will all shudder and delay acting until they have requisite specific guidance. Director of huge policy will get distracted and an extremely watered down version will be enacted eight years from now and nobody will really know why.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hey it would be like remember that Chinese emperor who decided to keep China great and since China didn't need or want nothing from the rest of the world he ordered all ships burned and all borders sealed and since he was Emperor it got done, then China rocketed straight to the top of every chart and totally didn't get left behind developmentally or anything? That's the kind of poo poo that can get done when you're an emperor and don't have to deal with rules.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That was Japan, and it was at the start of the Edo period through Nelson's forced entry.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"Kill every whitey that lands a boat" worked pretty well keeping Japan from being colonized until they were ready to become a colonizing superpower

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

That was Japan, and it was at the start of the Edo period through Nelson's forced entry.

No, one of the dynasties in China did what he said. Closed their borders, burned their ships, and went back to a very traditional way of life that left them behind everyone else.

Edit: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...f-a7612276.html

It was the Ming dynasty. It's one of the few things I remember from my college history classes.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Nah, he means the Jingtai Emperor who -- after his brother got captured by the Mongols -- decided to reinforce the Great Wall of China and let the Imperial navy rot. The same navy that was launching 400' treasure ships out into the Indian Ocean about 20 years before.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Eh they had treasure ships but they weren’t 400’ as there weren’t wooden ships anywhere close to that size until the 1800s and those were steel reinforced. If they did have anything over 200’ they didn’t ever take it out of the rivers because the open ocean would have wrecked them. The engineering skills of humans just weren’t capable of ships of the purported magnitude and the ships supposedly over 400 feet are myth more than history.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1005812424572919808

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

I feel like the answer to https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU is rapidly approaching “yes, yes we are” at this point.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Seekhay posted:

I feel like the answer to https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU is rapidly approaching “yes, yes we are” at this point.

Well, what do you do about that? Because I have no loving idea.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

What the gently caress

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What the gently caress

We're the baddies.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1005979207544000512

Zeroisanumber posted:

We're the baddies.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I finally understand. He thinks that 100billion that Canada makes through trading with the US comes directly out of the USA's pockets, instead of being part of the natural flow of cash in a trading economy.
He really is that loving stupid.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I finally understand. He thinks that 100billion that Canada makes through trading with the US comes directly out of the USA's pockets, instead of being part of the natural flow of cash in a trading economy.

We take migrant womens' kids from them by telling them that we're going to give them showers and then never return them to their parents.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

I wonder how much of that ends up back in American corporations by way of their Canadian subsidiaries? I can't imagine them being happy about this.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

We take migrant womens' kids from them by telling them that we're going to give them showers and then never return them to their parents.

You sure you meant to reply to me? I was just trying to parse that trumptweet™

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Yes. He thinks a trade balance is literally theft.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This NYT article does a good job of explaining what a trade deficit is and why it's a dumb yardstick. And also why the dollar as the world's preferred currency means the US almost always runs a trade deficit.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/09/upshot/what-is-the-trade-deficit.html

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

psydude posted:

This NYT article does a good job of explaining what a trade deficit is and why it's a dumb yardstick. And also why the dollar as the world's preferred currency means the US almost always runs a trade deficit.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/09/upshot/what-is-the-trade-deficit.html

Next you'll be telling us a "strong dollar" isn't necessarily good.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You give us the stuff we tell you to and we give you worthless numbers on a ledger in the hope that one day we may bless you by giving back something of meager value

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Next you'll be telling us a "strong dollar" isn't necessarily good.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

You sure you meant to reply to me? I was just trying to parse that trumptweet™

We're the baddies.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Or he thinks the redhats are that stupid. And they are.

https://twitter.com/misterbumface/status/1005979814434516993

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

Zeroisanumber posted:

Well, what do you do about that? Because I have no loving idea.

I don’t either and it scares me. Like really scares me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Fallout 76 release date is November 14th.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/06/11/e3-2018-fallout-76-release-date-announced

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Gonna gently caress this up because I'm phone posting but check out the Economist cover this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DaNerd posted:

Gonna gently caress this up because I'm phone posting but check out the Economist cover this week.

Good drat.

• Locked thread