Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

psh, scrub

call me back when you get a DADGAD plate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that's not me, obv, that's out the front window of my beigemobile

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shugojin posted:

Hell yeah post that strap.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dewgy posted:

psh, scrub

call me back when you get a DADGAD plate

Mine reads BEADF#B

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

Mine reads BEADF#B

:vince:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

Mine reads BEADF#B

I miss having a 26.5”+/7 string a lot

I have a jazzmaster baritone but it’s soooo janky

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Hell yeah post that strap.

:rock:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
that rules

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's pretty dang rad

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want one

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahahahahahahahaha

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

gently caress yeah.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Ever been tempted to get some stick on felt and give all the skulls tiny moustaches?

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Da Motherfuckin Shred Zone

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That is just as metal as it needs to be. :black101:

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I got a new strap too

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
seems like it'd be more appropriate on a 7 string bc rich warbeast

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MattO posted:

I got a new strap too

Metal AF

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MattO posted:

I got a new strap too

I can't tell what style of music that plays. I hope those are active pickups and there's a 5150 it's plugged into.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My first strap is so bizarrely metal that I still to this day can’t figure out what it is. I should post it sometime.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Sorry. I gotta Faust-post. You guys got me thinking about bad music store experiences and this one may make sense to you or it may not.

I got this amazing Schecter neck from a classmate at NCSU for just $50 (awesome) and at first I put it on my lovely Korean Kramer Striker 300ST for awhile, before I decided to build an actual blues-capable Partscaster out of it. You all know it, it's this one:

That body is an old Swamp-ash body from Warmoth. And I bought it from a local music store around 1991. The place was staffed and managed mostly by idiots (this was pre-internet and so going through your local store to get Warmoth parts was normal.) It was cheap compared to today. I think I paid about $138 for it, and then had to wait a month to get it.

There's a risk in ordering an un-finished guitar body from California and having it shipped to North Carolina. I only believe this because my Dad wanted to build his own jazz Tele-style out of a one-piece Warmoth body.
He thinks he didn't give the body time to acclimate to the different temp/humidity here before he opened up the box, because it came out perfect but during the week after he opened it up, the body curled upwards. It had a bad and worsening, very noticeable bow; like you could set this slab of wood on a table and it rocked like a cradle. So he sent it back and waited while Warmoth sent him a two-piece glued body; which he then built a very awesome instrument with. I took that lesson to heart.

For this body, I originally wanted to either stain+clearcoat or paint it. I wanted the pristine body in the box when I went to pick it up. What actually happened was:

I went to the music store and asked them to bring me my package from Warmoth. This idiot came up from shipping/receiving with my Strat body.

It was not in the box. He was holding it in his greasy hands. And you know all the product literature and marketing stuff that comes in that box? It was loving taped to the raw wood of the body with packing tape. Who knows what kind of residue that would leave on the wood, or if the body would curl up on me like my Dad's guitar body had?

I saw this and almost had a stroke. "Why did you take my new body out of its shipping box? Why the gently caress did you apply adhesive tape to the raw wood? That was my property, what were you thinking?" I thought it was outrageous.

"I needed to ship something out, and your box was the perfect size," he replied.

"You WHAT?"

From behind the counter, where invariably there were at least two employees eating take-out off the glass display cases, the Burt Reynolds-looking store owner/manager said, in this ridiculous Southern drawl, a phrase that my friends and I reference to this very day:

"Somebody get this man a baawwx."

The music store dudes took some cymbal boxes, broke them down, wrapped them around the guitar body and taped them together. No thought was given to what I was objecting to, and I meekly took the thing home and hoped for the best. In the end it turned out ok, but this kind of "service" was par for the course in Raleigh after Audio Light & Musical shut down and the era of Mars, then Sam Ash and Guitar Center stores took over; by which time I went into those places as rarely as possible because the "hey let's go browse the music store" urge had been ruined by a thousand cuts like these.
Music store owners and employees off-handedly insulting your gear to your face. People with no skill and no talent asking what you were up to and when you replied about the project your band was working on, saying "You're still beating that dead horse?"

gently caress those people, all of them (the bad ones).

This has been an authentic Stupid Music poo poo Faust-post™ and I hope you enjoyed it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
27 years, no problems after all was said and done, and you’re still mad about it

yup, that’s faust-posting

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
tone tape

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

my town only has two mom and pop music stores (that i know of, there might be one or two more reeeally small ones). there used to be a third, but they decided they wanted to have that special combination of pretention and incompetence everyone's talking about and went out of business.

the one i go to does a thing where i'm pretty sure they mark everything way up and knock the price down when they ring you up, because they have never not given me a discount no matter what i buy. still a bit pricy but i'm cool with it because they are genuinely enthusiastic about whatever you're looking for. i went to buy a cheap drum throne and the owner called his son up to come in and talk to me about it because he knew more about drums, and he ended up downselling me from a more expensive one that i was looking at because he thought i'd find this one more comfortable.

so i guess the stupid music poo poo is idiots trying to run businesses by being dickheads because the thing that keeps me from buying everything online is that it's actually fun to go to my local music store.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dr. Faustus posted:

"I needed to ship something out, and your box was the perfect size," he replied.

keep going, I'm almost done

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

but this kind of "service" was par for the course in Raleigh after Audio Light & Musical shut down and the era of Mars, then Sam Ash and Guitar Center stores took over

oh man i went into the mars on capital. once

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

They want $400US.... :)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

oh man i went into the mars on capital. once
Same.

Same.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Same.

Same.

a salesman tried to argue with me that archtop and carved top were the same thing

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I once had a Guitar Center employee tell me, no poo poo, that “no man you’ve got it backwards. It’s solid state amps that have to always have plugged into a speaker cab otherwise you’ll break them. With tube amps though, you’re fine. You can leave those unplugged as much as you need.”

This is the kind of flat-out wrong poo poo that can actually cost people thousands if they’re not careful. Don’t ever play through a tube amp without it being plugged into a speaker cab or load box unless you want to destroy it, people.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I don't think anyone is under that misunderstanding. Tbh if you have an amp worth £000's and you gently caress it up by not plugging in some resistance then you only have yourself to blame

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
you'd be surprised

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

I think I may top that...

Ironically edgy guitar straps is easy when you're playing light hearted acoustic stuff.
When you're playing punk/hardcore you have to go the extra mile.

Around 2006-2007 I had a leather strap on my main guitar where a length of it was replaced by two sturdy stainless steel chains:

It was really uncomfortable and impractical (I move around a lot on stage, if you couldn't tell by my sweaty shirt), and it was insanely heavy. If I had been playing a Les Paul I would have had back problems after two gigs.

I used it for a couple more years after that, but I bought another guitar in 2007 and let the strap stay on what then became my backup guitar. So these two shoddy pictures were all I could find.

(The strap on the new guitar was also pretty edgy. I covered an old Fender strap in silver duct tape and drew on a flame pattern in black permanent marker).

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Haha that rules dude! Makes my Parental Advisory Explicit Content one I bought to be silly kinda, not even worth mentioning!

Also:

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I used to play in a band with a guy who used a chain instead of a strap. Yes, there were cargo shorts, too.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I was googling about the DeVries Guitars guy and happened on a link to this trainwreck of a site, quite possibly the ugliest assortment of guitars I've ever seen. The writeups are a piece of work, too -- dude is deep up his own rear end in a top hat.
(Apologies if it's been linked before but it's new to me.)

Who can resist this vintage beauty?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
zachary guitars is always good for a laugh

quote:

Inspiration

This is an iconic guitar and I knew it as soon as it was approaching its completion. Everything just came together on it perfectly. Its my new ZT body shape, which updates the tired clumsy, bulbous look of the Telecaster or Broadcaster. The way the ZT body shape came about is to be first digitally scanned directly off an original vintage Telecaster reissue; so its accurate in size and contours. Then I did my modifications to update its look and improve its ergonomics, weight and high fret access. Of course I always make all Z guitars with 24 frets. Back in the 50s and 60s players rarely played above the 12-th fret but times have changed. I suppose that most who buy vintage reissues, or want to stick to traditional models, never play above the 12-th fret either but for the rest of you, why would you not have two full octaves. What do you think about that Yngwie Malmsteen, or Jeff Beck for that matter. Never just accept what "they" give you; the corporate power structures of society.

quote:

I painted it white but played it so much in the first 2 weeks that all the paint wore off and its been made into a relic.

quote:

Its like the perfect woman we dream about but does not exist and can never exist. Well, this guitar does exist.
Call me crazy but as flawed as women are these days, I am symbolically making the iconic woman, over and over again.

Update - As you can see in the original pics shown here, taken right after the completion of this guitar, the antiquing (relicing) of the hardware is not consistent throughout. I went back disassembled some of the hardware and corrected the details, down to the last screw. Now this instrument is very consistent in terms of aesthetics. Just looking after the minute details, which would not torment the average person. However, I don't do the work of an average individual.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Does anyone else open every Rondo email just to vaguely scroll to the bottom and check out what the chicken is up to

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I once had a Guitar Center employee tell me, no poo poo, that “no man you’ve got it backwards. It’s solid state amps that have to always have plugged into a speaker cab otherwise you’ll break them. With tube amps though, you’re fine. You can leave those unplugged as much as you need.”

This is the kind of flat-out wrong poo poo that can actually cost people thousands if they’re not careful. Don’t ever play through a tube amp without it being plugged into a speaker cab or load box unless you want to destroy it, people.

Why would you ever use a tube amp not plugged into a cab anyway, the point of them is to be L O U D

Get a nice THR and headphones if you need to be quiet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Does anyone else open every Rondo email just to vaguely scroll to the bottom and check out what the chicken is up to

yes