Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EmbryoSteve posted:

I wish you could control exactly who gets sacrificed in this game. More fun to sacrifice catholic priests and captured Chiefs than rando pulled out of hiding hole during a raid

There should be a "sacrifice literally all of them and no don't ask for confirmation" button, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

EmbryoSteve posted:

I wish you could control exactly who gets sacrificed in this game. More fun to sacrifice catholic priests and captured Chiefs than rando pulled out of hiding hole during a raid

Just execute all the ones you don't want to sacrifice first.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

Just execute eat all the ones you don't want to sacrifice first.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Goon Danton posted:

I decided to try a nomad game since I've never played around outside of Europe before.

Same. I started a game as the Khazars the other day and it seems really fun so far. I love the CBs that you get, like the "humiliate" one, where I guess you just charge in and steal a bunch of their women and children and ride away with them on your horses or something. I'm not sure why you would do that rather than just conquer them outright though. Maybe if you need a population boost to keep your clan ahead of the others in your own realm? Like if you conquer another realm outright, you would need to make a new clan to govern the territories right? So maybe you wouldn't want to be making new clans when you want to just increase the power of your own clan instead.

My first dude got maimed and disfigured in battle and then died of an infected wound, and so far my second dude is doing pretty well expanding the realm and keeping the now 6 clans under him in check. The Khazars get an interesting start position, right in the dead center of the map, so I can expand in any direction. I'm not really sure where to go from here though. I could head east, conquering the steppes and heading toward China, or go north into the big Russian tribal thunderdome, or go invade the middle east or western europe and burn civilization to the ground. So many choices...

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nomad priority imo, at least in 1066 or 1081, is to get the hell out of mongol ground zero

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Fuligin posted:

Nomad priority imo, at least in 1066 or 1081, is to get the hell out of mongol ground zero

Ah yeah, I picked the Charlemagne start date so I won't have to worry about that for a while. Before the game started though, I made sure to set the Aztec invasion date to the 13th century. So if I last that long, hopefully the Aztecs and Mongols will descend onto the world at roughly the same time and crush it like a huge vice, with me in the middle. :getin:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The main reason you'd want to use "humiliate" is if you need to push your population up to the 75% threshold so you can use the invasion CB.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I started my game at the Charlemagne start too. Didn't want to go Khazars, because starting as the big kid on the block is less fun to me. I went with the Magyar, because they're not the biggest, but they're big enough that they won't necessarily get their poo poo kicked in by the biggest right away. Just won my first pagan invasion and holy poo poo does it let you feel like a rampaging horde, ordering your clans to sack every province they can, and then clicking the delete button on holdings to turn them into gold and tech points, then watching your neighbors panic and start forming defensive pacts against you. Feels good :black101:

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Pakled posted:

After they kick you out of the Holy Land, they'll be able to usurp the Kingdom of Jerusalem. The only reason they haven't done so already is because

So yeah, for preserving your prestige, your best move is probably becoming King of Sardinia and then passing Jerusalem and that one county off to some poor shmuck.

Actually I think you need to be christian or jewish, at least non muslim, to create or usurp the kingdom of jerusalem. The thing to do would be to not worry about beirut for now but hold onto the title because the next time the pope calls a crusade for jerusalem you'll get it all if they win even if you don't lift a finger because you're already the rightful king of jerusalem.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

My first khagan had a series of unfortunate medical and religious events.

ladies :smugmrgw:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Goon Danton posted:

I started my game at the Charlemagne start too. Didn't want to go Khazars, because starting as the big kid on the block is less fun to me. I went with the Magyar, because they're not the biggest, but they're big enough that they won't necessarily get their poo poo kicked in by the biggest right away. Just won my first pagan invasion and holy poo poo does it let you feel like a rampaging horde, ordering your clans to sack every province they can, and then clicking the delete button on holdings to turn them into gold and tech points, then watching your neighbors panic and start forming defensive pacts against you. Feels good :black101:

Say that again when you knock over the Byzantine empire in one gulp and have 5 billion provinces to burn down holding by holding!!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

DrSunshine posted:

Say that again when you knock over the Byzantine empire in one gulp and have 5 billion provinces to burn down holding by holding!!

I did that a while back and just going through the menus to revoke the titles took up the whole afternoon

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I have a strange issue ... So I was over successful and put my son and heir on the throne of a fragmented Kingdom of Germany. I thought i was all clever and all seeing that when my current King died, my son would now be the proud owner of two Kingdoms with plenty of de jure CBs.

Well the death happened and now I am at 19/15 Vassal limit....... All my vassals are duke rank or higher and I have no idea how to fix this situation.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The rules for what gives you your vassal limit are here. Basically you need to raise your diplomacy or start ceding some authority to your vassals. If you aren't married, find someone with good diplomacy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The main reason you'd want to use "humiliate" is if you need to push your population up to the 75% threshold so you can use the invasion CB.
That's a big reason but in general, pop is what fuels a nomad realm. Getting grazing land is good and getting it will boost your pop growth naturally but without the people to live there you aren't getting more of anything out of it really. The prestige also isn't too shabby in the 15 minutes before you can punch up into wars with the large feudals and get boat loads.

Natural growth is slowwwwwww once you get past a certain percentage of your max, doubly if you have manpower to replenish so doing a humiliate war against some steppe trash immediately after seizing land is often a good use of your time. Basically offloading the pop growth to people in the lucrative 25% of max pop growth zone while you perpetually reap the benefits of having maximum manpower all the time.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

:getin:

Lunatic cannibals are still some of my favorite characters to play, especially in games where you can raid or in a Republic where the intrigue focus is gonna imprison a lot of assholes for you.

Fuligin posted:

It's difficult but I like to do Otuken in 769 and become the Khan of Khans.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 10, 2018

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Can tribal Kings create vassal merchant republics and rule over them if they gain possession of a coastal province with a city?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Honky Dong Country posted:

Can tribal Kings create vassal merchant republics and rule over them if they gain possession of a coastal province with a city?

I think so. You can't grant kingdoms to rulers of a different government type, but a doge only needs to be a duke.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Seeing the new character view is nice. Hoping Imperator has an updated UI.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

When you're playing a nomad game, do your vassal khans care about you having multiple king titles? Since their clan titles are already king tier and all.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Goon Danton posted:

When you're playing a nomad game, do your vassal khans care about you having multiple king titles? Since their clan titles are already king tier and all.

Not that I've ever noticed. They only really give a poo poo about how much land they have.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Does this happen to anyone else? I'm playing my game, I had an objective in mind, now that I'm there I am an emperor and I have so much tedious garbage to do. The child education system implemented in Conclave is colorful but it is so many more button presses than I want to deal with anymore. Then it's the imprisonment/rebellions; some tiny count refuses to end plot and because he's trying to kill somebody I like, I (fail to) arrest them, attack, revoke, redistribute. On the surface these things are all fine, but at the scale of small merchant empire it's already getting ridiculous. When I see "8 Children Need an Education Focus" I just want a "delegate" button because I'm fighting count assfuck over his rivalry with a 12 year old.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Goon Danton posted:

Nobody cares about multiple king level titles - only duke titles have an opinion penalty associated with having too many. Nomads generally don't care about non-nomadic titles anyway though. The only thing that matters to them is actual land.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Does this happen to anyone else? I'm playing my game, I had an objective in mind, now that I'm there I am an emperor and I have so much tedious garbage to do.

Welcome to being in power. Enjoy your reign, milord! :getin:

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I just got a successful immortality chain, too. I think he's gonna kill himself early....

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I just got a successful immortality chain, too. I think he's gonna kill himself early....

I can't describe how jealous I am of this. The one time I successfully got an immortal it was within the last century of the game.

Also I think we should consider a new thread when this new DLC drops. The OP hasn't been updated since Horse Lords.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

When I see "8 Children Need an Education Focus" I just want a "delegate" button because I'm fighting count assfuck over his rivalry with a 12 year old.

Isn't there a Court Educator or something that was added in JD to do just that? I don't know, I actually don't have an issue with assigning education stuff generally so I haven't messed with it.

Edit: vv Ah, ok.

catlord fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 10, 2018

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I don't think the court tutor picks education focuses, they're just your default guardian or whatever for all the children. The one they get their education and other traits from.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The one time I completed the immortality chain, it was with a guy who got castrated mid-event. He already had a couple kids, so I stuck with it, but after a while it got really boring and I started rushing into stupid wars and taking the nuclear option for every medical issue, no matter how small, in the hopes that someone or something would kill the drat lich so his great-great-great-great-great-great grandson could take over, but nothing did. Dude was just a torso by the end date, and I took a long break from CK2.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 10, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Crow Jane posted:

The one time I completed the immortality chain, it was with a guy who got castrated mid-event. He already had a couple kids, so I stuck with it, but after a while it got really boring and I started rushing into stupid wars and taking the nuclear option for every medical issue, no matter how small, in the hopes that someone or something would kill the drat lich so his great-great-great-great-great-great grandson could take over, but nothing did. Dude was just a torso by the end date, and I took a long break from CK2.

So you created the Emperor of Mankind?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Is there any weird, smallish religion a relative newbie could play with a reasonable chance of success? I always want to do Zoroastrians, but I usually end up failing horribly.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Minenfeld! posted:

Is there any weird, smallish religion a relative newbie could play with a reasonable chance of success? I always want to do Zoroastrians, but I usually end up failing horribly.

Play the Jewish Khazars and then invade the middle east with your big Jewish horse horde and then build the Kingdom of Israel.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Minenfeld! posted:

For what it's worth I encourage you to keep trying with the Zoros, they have a hard start (unless you do something clever like start as one of the large Islamic kingdoms and convert) but mechanically speaking they're my favorite religion in the game. All of the strengths of Christianity and various flavors of paganism, none of the weaknesses.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Kenzie posted:

Play the Jewish Khazars and then invade the middle east with your big Jewish horse horde and then build the Kingdom of Israel.

This is easy mode. A real mensch plays as Semien.

E: also at some point you go Ashkenazi for the Bar Kochba Guard retinues instead of the lovely Ethiopian ones. :colbert:

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 11, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Minenfeld! posted:

Zunists (769 start) can be fun, though they're in a pretty precarious spot. Once you take the Kabul trade post you can become a tributary of China, which might make you less likely to get destroyed by the Abbasids early on and leave you free to do whatever. I like the Han Taoist duke in the Old Gods start too, but unfortunately Taoism doesn't have a whole lotta content.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 11, 2018

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Crow Jane posted:

Zunists (769 start) can be fun, though they're in a pretty precarious spot. Once you take the Kabul trade post you can become a tributary of China, which might make you less likely to get destroyed by the Abbasids early on and leave you free to do whatever. I like the Han Taoist duke in the Old Gods start too, but unfortunately Taoism doesn't have a whole lotta content.

I've never done an actual Zunist run but lately I've seen Zunism survive waaaaay later than it used to so I can't imagine it's as hard as it used to be. Especially considering secret cult shenanigans.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Honky Dong Country posted:

I've never done an actual Zunist run but lately I've seen Zunism survive waaaaay later than it used to so I can't imagine it's as hard as it used to be. Especially considering secret cult shenanigans.

My current game is Zunbil Empire - yes, empire - without conversion. I will attest that taking Kabul then becoming a Chinese tributary is a strong strategy, made even stronger if you can get a Chinese wife. All you need then is a quick rebellion among the Abassids that lets you snap up a third Holy Site, and you can reform the faith. That gives you 4k troops from the Chinese plus a Holy Order that only you can hire. At that point you should easily be able to roll up a couple of lesser Indian kingdoms or half of Khiva.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I must suck at this game if the Khazars are easy mode. I just got my rear end handed to me. It all seemed to be going so well. I had grown pretty big, and my Byzantine neighbors broke out in civil war, so I thought I might take advantage of that and snatch some Byzantine land while they were distracted. I almost won, but the war ended inconclusively for some reason. On the way back home, my ruler bizarrely died of natural causes even though he was healthy and only in his early 40s. He was replaced by his widely hated cruel and arbitrary son who was also a secret demon worshipper. All the clans banded together and overthrew him and then executed him. Since all the clans' armies were still together from the Byzantine war, they were able to easily overpower my own. My heir was a young child at that point.

After I lost the war, not even a month of peace would go by before another civil war broke out, with the 6 clans of the realm all trying to destroy each other. After the third civil war ended, my child ruler had turned 16 and then I launched a fourth war in a last ditch attempt to take back what was mine. I still failed, and not even with mercenaries was I able to beat the combined power of the other clans. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's Bon, that's real little but still has a pretty safe startpoint. Nobody's going to curbstomp you in Tibet. Not really viable long-term though.

• Locked thread