Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Having a good time so far, but my interest has tapered a bit since learning there's only a few victories at the moment and they're all minor ones. I assume they're planning to add endings for each of the twenty-odd Tarot cards? Somebody posted the Door in the Eye one earlier, and I got the Sun-in-Rags one on my first playthrough by not having any followers to give to Poppy Lascelles when she came to collect, but it'd be a bit odd to add some and not others when they're got all that nicely-drawn art for them.

And another question: Does the Deceiver aspect(which, so far as I can tell, only summons have) do anything yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

Expeditions. Stick a histories lore into the explore slot, then explore the location you get. Repeat.

I've done a few, are there different levels though? I got Gladwyn lake and it has murdered everyone I sent.

Do I need to do a lot of those to upgrade my followers?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

TheBlandName posted:

Oh you poor, poor soul.

You never found/figured out the reusable non-breaking tool to get past the Peacock Gate, did you?

No Frangiclave, nope. :shepicide:

Did every expedition, ended up with eight top level tools, not a one of them was that once. There are still 24 draws left in the rare drop table, too, so it'd take me I don't want to think how long it would take me to draw it. What am I going to do with two bottles of the True Blood of St Januarius, I ask you?

...though a bigger problem is I got bottlenecked on Lantern/Knock lore, so I had to get most of my high-level histories by merging forbidden epics... from the Stag Door.

e:

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I've done a few, are there different levels though? I got Gladwyn lake and it has murdered everyone I sent.

Do I need to do a lot of those to upgrade my followers?

Yeah, the blue ones (from the basic history lore) are the easiest. The Forgotten Mithraeum can't actually kill anyone, it only has a Hidden Door hazard, so start with that.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 10, 2018

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do I convert lore? I need more Winter to upgrade my cultists, but I can't just put them together in the Study verb.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

You need lores of the same level to combine. If you don't have Winter I think it's Edge that you subvert for that? Put an Edge lore in first then a Winter lore of the same level.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 10, 2018

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

can each lore type only convert using a specific other type?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Well, maxing out the seventh mark ritual is not how you get that other achievement, I can now confirm:

Only got Sensation to do now. Might, uh, leave it for a bit.

can each lore type only convert using a specific other type?

Knock can use anything. Otherwise, yes. I think somebody posted the sequence on the last page?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Well, maxing out the seventh mark ritual is not how you get that other achievement, I can now confirm:

I think it might be if you call on a grand degree of winter in a regular rite you kill something. I think it's probable you're supposed to go for killing the sun by invoking winter and something else.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

You need lores of the same level to combine. If you don't have Winter I think it's Edge that you subvert for that? Put an Edge lore in first then a Winter lore of the same level.

I imagine things might be less frustrating if you could use a lore and a higher level lore of the type you want to subvert to. I really wanted to subvert something to Lantern but I only had super high level lantern lore and the prospect of trying to get various lore types all to the same level by breaking them down then recombining them lategame when you've done a lot of expeditions and read a lot of books already was a horrifying prospect since all my lores were at different levels.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I think it might be if you call on a grand degree of winter in a regular rite you kill something. I think it's probable you're supposed to go for killing the sun by invoking winter and something else.

Alright, I backed up my save so let's test this.

Any other ideas you've got?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

What happens if you get a shitton of one aspect but don't put your desire in?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Well the sun is lantern and forge and was once sundered. The wolf divided is what's supposed to kill the sun so that seems appropriate to bring in. I haven't gotten that rite myself but I think those 3 would be the relevant options. You could try a few different combinations with the lores of those 3 aspects since the lore is what usually determines the spell cast.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I couldn't max out Winter; tried putting a Maid in but her Edge aspect changed the spell to Reason's Glory. 46 Winter/12 Lantern: just a normal End is Beautiful.

Kaethela posted:

What happens if you get a shitton of one aspect but don't put your desire in?

Nothing, as far as I can tell.

Demiurge4 posted:

Well the sun is lantern and forge and was once sundered. The wolf divided is what's supposed to kill the sun so that seems appropriate to bring in. I haven't gotten that rite myself but I think those 3 would be the relevant options. You could try a few different combinations with the lores of those 3 aspects since the lore is what usually determines the spell cast.

Alrighty.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 11, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The rite has 7 slots right? Try an aspect of everything except knock.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

The rite has 7 slots right? Try an aspect of everything except knock.

Five, not counting the rite itself and desire.

Save's here, if anyone wants to have a go.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It might not be implemented yet; the achievement is still at 0%. :(

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
has anyone figured out a decent layout for everything? i just died in a dumbass way and i dont mind starting over but the prospect of re-organizing everything poorly is making me angry

if you have, just throw a pic out in spoilers. i dont care if i see a bunch of cards of proper nouns i havent discovered yet so dont worry about censoring it or whatever. id much rather stop having cards appear and gently caress up the position of everything constantly, etc

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So what's the overarching story behind the "Hours" or gods or whatever? People can basically ascend to immortality by getting through enough magic doors?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Verviticus posted:

has anyone figured out a decent layout for everything? i just died in a dumbass way and i dont mind starting over but the prospect of re-organizing everything poorly is making me angry

if you have, just throw a pic out in spoilers. i dont care if i see a bunch of cards of proper nouns i havent discovered yet so dont worry about censoring it or whatever. id much rather stop having cards appear and gently caress up the position of everything constantly, etc

This is what I ended up with:

Rule 1: Anything new is going to appear in the middle, so that needs to be clear/home to temporary poo poo only; anything permanent goes to the sides
Rule 2: Put nouns near the verbs they usually go in. That's not always possible, because there's a lot of poo poo to store and only so much space. This means you have to spread the verbs out.
Rule 3: Stats are never going to be well-behaved. Reason especially seems to like dropping itself all over the place. Corral them in their own section and don't worry too much if it gets messy.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
I just figured out that you can move a whole stack by clicking on the number and dragging it around. Now I can actually leave my funds stack in a dedicated location instead of letting it get pushed around everywhere.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My way of making stats behave is to stack them all up like Reason(9) in corner in a row I cleaned up specifically for that, then use the stacked one until they're all in a nice row. They seem to correctly handle this most of the time, if one doesn't behave I put it on top of the stack again and it'll fix itself next time. Eventually it stops being an issue.

This, however, only works until you save/load the game then they fly randomly until you restack and reuse them manually again, seems like some things don't save all states correctly, so I just don't quit the game anymore. :v:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So what's the overarching story behind the "Hours" or gods or whatever? People can basically ascend to immortality by getting through enough magic doors?

Immortality is just stage 1. Or, well, stage 2. It goes Know (through the Stag Door), Long (immortal, what the player is after they win), Name (what the high level summons are, probably avatars of Hours), Hour (divine, probably responsible for defining aspects).

The basic premise of the game is the basic premise of occultism: there is secret cosmic knowledge, mastery of which grants you mastery over the cosmos.

As far as I can piece the backstory together:

The world may or may not have existed before the Hours came into being, but the first Hours, the Gods-From-Stone - all of which are dead now apart from the Horned Axe- seem to be at least neolithic in origin. After them came the Gods-From-Light, who "descended from the Glory" (big glowy place "above" the Mansus). One of these was the Sun-in-Splendour, who was basically big king god for a while. After them came the Gods-From-Flesh and the Gods-From-Blood; no idea what the distinction is but a lot of them seem to have been people that ascended the way we're trying to in the game. The oldest of these is the Moth and the youngest is the Lionsmith- he may have been an Achaemenid general?

Anyway, at some point the Forge of Days killed the Sun-in-Splendour, and a bunch of the Sun-in-Splendour's Names became Hours in their own right- the Sun-in-Rags chief among them. This seems to have been a terrible idea, because the Worms, whatever they are, "bred in the corpse of the Sun", and they seem to be a) real bad news and b) trying to destroy the Mansus.

e: There are also "Gods-From-Nowhere". Apparently they're not "real Hours" and capital-N Nowhere is some strange nightmare realm even by Hour standards, so.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 11, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I also didn’t realize you didn’t need to put something in the Trappings slot for the first 15 hours or so, though I was only losing Funds that way and those are simple enough to get.

Advice for anyone having trouble with Expeditions at first, especially if you haven’t been able to upgrade Believers to Disciples yet: take full advantage of the hirelings you can get by exploring with health or followers. They’re 3 or 5 of Moth, Edge, Forge, or Knock, which will deal with a lot of early hazards either by themselves (5) or combined with your Believers (3). If you find a good one like the bomb-maker (3 Edge 5 Forge) you can Talk to them about money to refresh their timer and keep them around.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

There seem to be a few categories of supernatural creature:

• Gods-from-Stone. These are old and predate humanity.
  • Gods-from-light. Also old and prehuman
  • Gods-from-flesh. Humans who have ascended by going through magic doors but, like, in a special way.
  • Gods-from-blood. Humans who were killed in a sacrifice but in some way that deified them.
  • Longs. Humans who have partially ascended by going through magic doors and are now immortal. If you win the game with one of the three current victories, you become a Long.
  • Hours. Catchall term for the Gods-From-xyz.
  • Principles. Not sure about these.
  • Demons. IE whatever the hell Ezeem, King Crucible and Teresa Galmier are.
  • Lesser demons. Humans who were changed somehow in the Mansus after dying. EG Hints, Maids-in-mirrors.
  • Knows. Humans who have passed through the Stag Door and are beginning to undergo physical changes as a result.
  • The Dead. Reanimated corpses of various types

That’s my read anyway, welcome input.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Radar posted:

I also didn’t realize you didn’t need to put something in the Trappings slot for the first 15 hours or so, though I was only losing Funds that way and those are simple enough to get.

Same. I was feeding it restlessness/dread so I wasn't losing anything useful at least..

During the "tutorial" (i.e. before all the verbs and actions pop up) everything needs all slots to fill, then many things still do, but there are pretty big exceptions and it's not communicated in any way other than the start button being slightly less grey. I thought I could cast rites until I upgraded my desire thing (and after I finally opened stag and did that and it still didn't work I figured it out lmao)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Feeding it Dread could actually be useful because it has 2 Edge, so if you’re an Edge cult and you have 6 lore that’s an upgrade right there.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I think the Worms are something like Laird Barron’s Children of Old Leech: Malevolent creatures that are physically giant worms that can slip inside peoples’ bodies and take them over.

IIRC one of the early books refers to Coseley as a “Worm of Worms”, which I think means he was possessed?

Also the two immortals who would be fun to hang out with are Big Chris Illopoly and that Lord dude who made all the demons play parlor games and spent twenty pages of his diary complaining about not getting laid with the Witch-and-Sister, or possibly Teresa.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

This is what I ended up with:

Rule 1: Anything new is going to appear in the middle, so that needs to be clear/home to temporary poo poo only; anything permanent goes to the sides
Rule 2: Put nouns near the verbs they usually go in. That's not always possible, because there's a lot of poo poo to store and only so much space. This means you have to spread the verbs out.
Rule 3: Stats are never going to be well-behaved. Reason especially seems to like dropping itself all over the place. Corral them in their own section and don't worry too much if it gets messy.

this makes a lot of sense. i was trying to be zoomed in more because at a certain point you cant really read things but i think that might be impossible after a while

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Does the lore you use to start your cult have any significant difference?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

It only effects upgrading cultists. Presumably if you keep track of all the Expedition challenges there’s an “optimal” cult but since summons are also a thing it probably doesn’t matter that much.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

It affects what Cult Activity you can eventually do at 100% success rate. Moth, Edge, and Grail let you generate prisoners for feeding the Spider's Door. Forge lets you make 4 strength ingredients and tools. Lantern lets you make low strength influences. Heart lets you smooth-talk away Notoriety and maybe Mystique. Knock gets you money, I think. I think Winter creates corpses. History does nothing. Moth, Knock, and Heart are the only aspects that don't have a 10+ strength summon available.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The Forge activity always gets you Funds, often Spintria as well, sometimes tools. Generating tools isn’t usually all that useful though, to be honest.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What exactly are "Influences"? Fleeting Memories, Chilly Atmosphere, and stuff like that come up a lot but I never find uses for them. Fleeting Memories can be placed in an Explore tile but you can't click "start".

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They are basically throwaway sources of various aspects; they don't do anything on their own. Mostly you use them for rites but you can also promote cultists with them. Often they will be eaten in the process, but that's sort of the point, since they don't last long anyway.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007
Got a grail ascension a few nights ago :toot: , working on a forge run now. Decided to try and play this one without using the painting skill at at all, for a little bit of theme and contrast from my last game. It's been going well, seems much less chaotic than my last run since I'm not constantly dealing with a huge blob of mystique. I definitely have to plan ahead a bit though, since it does limit my options for dealing with despair and notoriety. I've been getting a lot more use out of the strip club and opium options, and Clovette has been working overtime on PR, which has worked surprisingly well.

I think I'm kinda lucky with this game in general, since I like both the mechanic and lore discovery phase of playing the game, as well as the more rote phase you settle into once you actually know most of the important mechanics. I didn't mind the last grindy bit of my grail ascension at all, and a lot of the stuff I'm doing on this run is familiar ground and I'm still having a great time with it. I do hope they flesh out some of the more content-light areas of the game sooner rather than later; but it's definitely a game I'm going to be coming back to a bunch even before then.

Here's a shot of my forge tableau just after I did a big sort and clean-up earlier today-

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Edit:
RE: Influences

Yeah, they’re random little sources of inspiration for Rites and promoting Cultists with. The higher-level ones you get from the Mansus are necessary for certain important Rites.

RE: dealing with Mystique/Notoriety, afaik Heart cultists can never fail at making them go away with their PR skill, but Investigators have a magnet on their slot so they can suck something out of your cultist’s grasp :argh:

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 11, 2018

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

RE: dealing with Mystique/Notoriety, afaik Heart cultists can never fail at making them go away with their PR skill, but Investigators have a magnet on their slot so they can suck something out of your cultist’s grasp :argh:

I've been using it a lot this game, and heart disciples can fail (albeit way less than I was expecting), you get the notoriety back, as well as the follower and a bonus rumor for some reason. Also I think the notoriety/mystique sticks to whoever grabs it first, since theirs works differently from destroying evidence with moth, since you just use your cult when you talk to them, then they become a magnet space like investigators for 30 seconds when the time on the initial talk action runs out. As far as I've been able to determine magnet spaces can't pull out of another magnet space in all cases.

Perpetual fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 11, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Hmm, maybe with the magnet thing I was thinking of Moth cultists destroying evidence

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

edit: NM

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Achieved an enlightenment victory! I did end up getting a second 10-lantern to combine up into a 12 and also finally realised I didn't actually need to acquire an actual projector item first to get the sunset rite. Could have also summoned teresa instead of the 12 lore but then i'd need back to back splendour pulls before she expired and was also tired of grinding spinatrae (stop giving me moth commissions i have no goddamn moth lores at all) to fix my tools. Fun victory, want to see what comes beyond now. I can't wait for the mr eaten's name equivalent where you have to tediously acquire everything one by one then throw it away for nothing good at all (rip my seeker who has entered a place he will never leave).