Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yes, disabling disinfect one tile at a time is insanely annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Set the disinfect threshold higher, and use tiles and mining to ensure that your dupes don't have access to too many slime tiles at any given time.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They changed the way the mechanical doors work by the way in the test build. So if you were using the four door set up to help keep gases out, basically it doesn't work anymore. I don't know if the water lock still works, I never got that to work easily, maybe I'll have to figure it out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

My map didn't start with much water and now at cycle 36, I'm facing a severe water shortage. How can I fix this? Thanks for any help.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Main Paineframe posted:

Set the disinfect threshold higher, and use tiles and mining to ensure that your dupes don't have access to too many slime tiles at any given time.
Turns out that just digging out the one slime square directly underneath each “permanent-disinfect” tile fixed it just fine.

Just to make sure I’m not overlooking another obvious thing, there is no way to set a disinfect limit for an individual object, correct?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

Without a refrigeration cycle you can't really do anything more than vent whatever is already poo poo hot unless you just want to meet in the middle and then have everything just tepidly overheating as you vent what you consider the working gas. I guess maybe as a precooler so it's not straining your point heat sinks.

E. Or maybe cross fingers and hope the vacuum source means we can expose liquid to vacuum and it cools off while losing mass or some other approximation of cooling tower mechanics or evaporation

well, the test patch post says vaccuum sucks both gasses and liquids, so just dump your aquatuner coolant in there :shrug:

Lorini posted:

My map didn't start with much water and now at cycle 36, I'm facing a severe water shortage. How can I fix this? Thanks for any help.

Uhhh, load a save you did 10 days ago and find a geyser quickly?

I'd say research water filtration but that takes a bunch of water too...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well I used the new reveal tool in the sandbox and there's only one steam vent way far away so time for a new colony. There were only three geysers on the map total, weird.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Truga posted:

well, the test patch post says vaccuum sucks both gasses and liquids, so just dump your aquatuner coolant in there :shrug:
That's almost exactly close enough to a cooling tower. I just want what would absolutely cripple the simulation time which is usable phase change processes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My dupes appear to be consuming twice as many calories now, in the patch preview branch.

Edit: nm they fixed it

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 2, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Major changes today in the experimental branch.

quote:

Overall tuning to the power and fertilizer economies

Solar panels have a higher max wattage and sun is much much brighter so panels are at max watage for more of the day

Methane generator produces more waste heat

Petroleum generator uses less fuel

Fertilizer maker is no longer a methane power producer, now it's a fertilizer producer with a specialized recipe

Compost produces dirt, sleet wheat requires dirt. Farm station still requires fertilizer

Reduced cost of Bunker Door and Bunker Tiles.

Puft and light bug will swim up through water to avoid drowning.

Hatches no longer try to move vertically between floor tiles.

Comet plays damage sounds as it passes through any tiles/buildings, not just on destroy.

Fixed another crash when Duplicants were at the top of the simulation grid.

Fixed a simulation crash that could occur if a building was destroyed right after being placed using sandbox tools.

Fixed another debug key crash in the main menu.

Shine bugs stop glowing when they're overcrowded.

Liquids will attempt to displace their neighbour liquids if they have sufficient mass. This should _reduce_ the occurrences of a little puddle of liquid stopping the flow of a much larger river of liquid but checkboard type patterns will still ultimately result in the stall.

Shine bug egg names should no longer be capitalized when showing up in storage.

Creature pivot locators should no longer be visible.

Light bug babies should no longer all look the same.

Fixed some string formatting on the tooltips in the jobs menu.

"Unassigned" in the jobs menu is now localizable.

Meteor detector sound effects.

No more ferts for NG, early mid mode NG rest in peace.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lorini posted:

Major changes today in the experimental branch.

No more ferts for NG, early mid mode NG rest in peace.

That sucks big time.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The new compost change means that I probably won't be using them anymore. Per my post on the official forums:

quote:

My early game bathroom consists of two wash basins and two outhouses. Past the outhouses, I usually put two compost things. With the experimental update, the compost produces dirt. The dirt still has food poisoning germs when it's expelled from the compost. My supply dupes take that dirt and put it in the main dirt compactors and/or feed it to meal lice, contaminating the meal lice and therefore, the liceloaf.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You're forgetting the ore scrubber, aren't you? Works for the vats of recycled, still-germy "clean" water too.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

insta posted:

You're forgetting the ore scrubber, aren't you? Works for the vats of recycled, still-germy "clean" water too.

This is probably a bug, similar to how the water sieve magically deletes heat.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Why do I have 198W on this circuit? I'm only counting 78W.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I'm addicted to this game but I'm never able to progress to the point of having a fully setup plastics industry because I simply cannot get food production up and running. I'm also struggling with heat gradually building up, but I can never risk exploring into swamp biomes because of the risk of slime-lung, and ice biomes are always behind swamp biomes.

I tried creating a chlorine gas chamber that stores both the slime in a storage compactor and also the algae distiller but the power requirements for setting up to gas pumps, filters and managing the inexorable increase on CO2 all while keeping my food stores up is doing my head in. Does anyone have any advice for room layouts or what techs to beeline for? It annoys me that a lot of the super useful stuff, stuff you pretty much need to survive is gated behind a ton of earlier tech.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Use the inverted "T"-shaped CO2 airlocks on either end of a 4-high tiled top & bottom hallway. You don't need water, they will fill with CO2 over time and let dupes pass through without any debuffs and keep gas where it should be. Alternately, build a coal generator near each one for a few cycles and destroy/rebuild elsewhere to fill another one.

Also, run a hamster wheel with a tiny battery to prime the system. You don't need an enormous centralized 8kw power plant (...yet) to do this. Just get a pump running and fill the hallway, then call it done.

Don't be too afraid of the slime biome, just don't spend all your time out there without exosuits. If you're beelining to the ice biomes, just build a tiled tunnel. You can get into there for some harvesting, but keep an eye on the immune system. If you put a pneumatic door at the entrance or exit to the airlock, you can restrict individual dupes who's immune systems are tanking from going into the slime biome. They will recover over time.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

insta posted:

Use the inverted "T"-shaped CO2 airlocks on either end of a 4-high tiled top & bottom hallway. You don't need water, they will fill with CO2 over time and let dupes pass through without any debuffs and keep gas where it should be. Alternately, build a coal generator near each one for a few cycles and destroy/rebuild elsewhere to fill another one.

You can also do this with chlorine and use it to sterilize storage compactors full of slime/fertilizer/etc and since it's the second heaviest gas and you can remove CO2 by putting a carbon skimmer at the bottom, maybe deodorizers.

Easy to make, just build a pit with ladders to enter/exit, and filling it with chlorine is as simple as digging into a caustic cave and letting the gas (eventually) flow downhill.

This also works great for food storage, if you want too keep all your disgusting food fresh forever. (Without having to deal with refrigerators or weird heating/cooling systems. If you want to keep food clean you need to keep oxygen out, so make it at least ~5 tiles deep above the highest ration box.

...and algae distillers/water sieves/composters/etc I guess?

You can use that principle separate chlorine from mixed gases (without all the plumbing and electricity for a gas filter) by pumping them above the pit, everything except Cl/CO2 will float to the top

If you have the materials to make high-pressure gas outlets, you can separate hydrogen/oxygen (quickly enough to keep generators running) in a similar column.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

PiCroft posted:

I'm addicted to this game but I'm never able to progress to the point of having a fully setup plastics industry because I simply cannot get food production up and running. I'm also struggling with heat gradually building up, but I can never risk exploring into swamp biomes because of the risk of slime-lung, and ice biomes are always behind swamp biomes.

I tried creating a chlorine gas chamber that stores both the slime in a storage compactor and also the algae distiller but the power requirements for setting up to gas pumps, filters and managing the inexorable increase on CO2 all while keeping my food stores up is doing my head in. Does anyone have any advice for room layouts or what techs to beeline for? It annoys me that a lot of the super useful stuff, stuff you pretty much need to survive is gated behind a ton of earlier tech.

Slimelung dies fairly quickly on anything thats not pO2 so throw down a few deodorizers and if you get a bit of slimelung in the air in your base it really isnt a big deal.

You can go down to 90 immunity with no problem, maybe even 80. If they do get sick they will need a few (5?) cycles in medbay.

Store the slime in a compactor below the waterline in your polluted water tank, it wont emit germy pO2 then.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PiCroft posted:

In addtion to what the others have said:
-food: Set up a farm with Bristle Berry, ideally hydroponics based so you don't have to hand-deliver water. If Bristleberry is in a farm room than a farmer-trained dupe can use the farming station to create micro-nutrient fertilizer that doubles its growth speed, meaning it has the same growth speed as mealwood, but for a higher kCal value and tastes better. If you have a grill setup you can also cook the Bristle Berries to make them provide even more kCal.

-Honestly slimelung isn't that big of a deal. I generally make a sunken storage area that I fill with water (use a bottler, no pumps required) to put my slime storage in. If the slime is stored in a compactor below water the slime won't outgas and release infected polluted water. The same mechanic keeps Bleachstone from becoming chlorine gas if stored the same way. Add a washbasin/sink/sanitizer to make sure your dupes are washing their hands before going back to the base and you'll take care of most of the slime-based slimelung.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm reasonably certain that dupes only get sick if immunity gets to 0. You can send them in for quick jaunts in the slime so long as you have them not stay long. If immunity is getting low keep them home. Definitely airlock the slime biome out but don't treat it like dupes get incurably ill if they ever touch slime.

I had a dupe get down to 30 and be fine. Never came down with slime lung.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Thanks guys, I looked up the C02 airlock and waterlock designs which might help. Also:

Alkydere posted:

The same mechanic keeps Bleachstone from becoming chlorine gas if stored the same way.

This is something I was wondering: Does bleachstone gradually break down as it emits chlorine like Oxylite does with oxygen? I thought it might be the case, but I wasn't able to see it occur while I was playing

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yep! Same with Slime and emitting pO2.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

silentsnack posted:

This also works great for food storage, if you want too keep all your disgusting food fresh forever. (Without having to deal with refrigerators or weird heating/cooling systems. If you want to keep food clean you need to keep oxygen out, so make it at least ~5 tiles deep above the highest ration box.

This is what I do for food storage. Usually it's filled with 100% co2 but I did a different layout this base and the chlorine/co2 mix isn't a problem.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm reasonably certain that dupes only get sick if immunity gets to 0. You can send them in for quick jaunts in the slime so long as you have them not stay long. If immunity is getting low keep them home. Definitely airlock the slime biome out but don't treat it like dupes get incurably ill if they ever touch slime.

I had a dupe get down to 30 and be fine. Never came down with slime lung.

Of course, this is only relevant if you play on the default difficulty setting. I know some people play on miserable/fatalistic for the extra challenge, and on those settings, immune system does not recover except with pills. I tried it once.. probably never again.

As a random extra, this is how I do my hatch stables. 96 internal tiles, tons of storage.

And my exercise room setup. Ahahaha.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 12, 2018

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Yep! Same with Slime and emitting pO2.

Thats kinda pish, it means bleach stone will eventually decay away once exposed which makes it even more rare than it currently is. I hate the idea of knowing that my resources will eventually run out entirely, especially stuff that's already fairly uncommon. That being said, thanks to the poster upthread who pointed out storing it underwater prevents it from decaying.

Also, the whole "cooking increases the Kcal per food item pretty much out of nothing" blows my mind. I always thought that cooking a bristle berry would, at best, have the same kcal value and that other recipes actively reduced the kcal, so I never bothered with cooking at all. As it turns out bristle berries increase in calorie value.

Shows how much attention I pay to the tooltips.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well, yes and no. Eventually gas pressure will prevent the outgassing and it'll settle into equilibrium if undisturbed. And typically bleach stone starts surrounded with enough chlorine gas to prevent that outgassing until you dig it out. You can re-condense chlorine into bleach stone if you have a squeaky puft handy. :eng101:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ambaire posted:

This is what I do for food storage. Usually it's filled with 100% co2 but I did a different layout this base and the chlorine/co2 mix isn't a problem.

This works as a poor man's food storage setup, but you can't take advantage of any automation with it. For example I have a fridge in which I store only sleet wheat. When the fridge gets full, its automation circuit activates and a connected electric grill (which is set to make infinite frost buns) activates. A duplicant then comes and makes frost bun for 200 seconds, about 1/3rd of a cycle.

Why is this important? Well, later on as your duplicants level up, they start to really care about food quality, and simple bristle berries stop satisfying them. So this setup is useful to keep them happy, as you automatically produce higher quality food when conditions are met, without having to constantly micromanage it.

I have a feeling food quality will become even more crucial as more content is added.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

PiCroft posted:

Also, the whole "cooking increases the Kcal per food item pretty much out of nothing" blows my mind. I always thought that cooking a bristle berry would, at best, have the same kcal value and that other recipes actively reduced the kcal, so I never bothered with cooking at all. As it turns out bristle berries increase in calorie value.

It shouldn't, really. Some food increasing its digestible calories when cooked is something that happens in real life, too.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
yeah i have a dedicated chef and make a kitchen room and do a lot for cooking. it saves water too.

im burnt all the way out with the game. it will be a year this summer. primarily cooling water is just a headache and i've done everything from automation to glitches. its a hard cap on my base. i can live without perfectly cooled water but urgh i can't figure out why its so difficult.

just waiting on a release so i can deal with the end product.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Lorini posted:

Can you post a couple of images of this working?

Sorry for the delay. I stopped playing for a bit and with the changes upcoming in the new patch I think I will bail on this colony and start over.

Here is an ugly, ugly oxygen generation room that takes advantage of the cold biome. Click for big.

The gallery has the rest of the panels (electrical, ventilation, etc): https://imgur.com/a/Yck6k68

I started with the basic self-powering oxygen generator and added a second electrolyzer and gas pump. It doesn't self power anymore but the spare hydrogen helps to take some of the burden off the nearby coal generator. The hot air goes through a pair of thermo regulators and some pipe made of thermally reactive material to get down to about -2C. It travels along a long insulated pipe run into my base at about 17C which has helped to cool things down nicely into the mid 20's overall.

Using a mechanical door instead of building tiles between the upper gas pump is a neat trick I saw on a stream. It makes it so if you need to tweak things you don't have to break blocks to reach that upper area. If you go slowly and manage the build more carefully it's not really necessary. Remove one electrolyzer and one gas pump and the room should stabilize and power itself off the spare hydrogen. It's not forever - there's an imbalance of gases - but it runs a longggg time before hydrogen takes over.

Has anyone found neat uses for the mini pumps? I've thrown a few around in Sandbox mode but they move so little it seems pointless.

The changes to the natural gas production from fertilizers is really annoying. That was a great power source to move to for the mid game before you can get into petroleum. I've never gotten a steam generator to work right so I'm not sure what the trick behind that is to make it run properly. I should probably mess around in sandbox mode some more to see if I can get a proper build together.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

CuddleChunks posted:

The changes to the natural gas production from fertilizers is really annoying. That was a great power source to move to for the mid game before you can get into petroleum. I've never gotten a steam generator to work right so I'm not sure what the trick behind that is to make it run properly. I should probably mess around in sandbox mode some more to see if I can get a proper build together.

Pretty sure steam generator is intended as the latest, post-oil, tech for power, because it needs access to magma to work. You can only occasionally set it up earlier if you have a metal/magma volcano.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PiCroft posted:

Ambaire posted:

It shouldn't, really. Some food increasing its digestible calories when cooked is something that happens in real life, too.

Yeah it's actually a known and realistic phenomenon. Especially with plant fibers as far as I'm aware. It breaks down stuff (like tough cell walls) that people would normally find hard to digest efficiently into weaker/easier to digest chemicals that our bodies can then extract nutrition from instead of just passing it through.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Basically the calories number in OSI is the amount of calories that are available to your body, rather than the total amount of calories overall. Your body can't get everything out of a piece of food, but cooking food helps! that's why poop is nutritious for bacteria, because they can get what our bodies didn't

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Calories are a unit of energy. Heating things add more energy. It's just basic science.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

They increased methane gas output in geysers yesterday so it looks like they want you to further explore the map in the mid game, assuming (as in every friggin colony I've started in the last month) you don't get a NG geyser nearby.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly from the previous posts all I'm hearing is that we should feed duplicants hot poop

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Sandbox is pretty fun.

Dupes don't swim in molten glass too good, last a surprisingly longer time than I thought, and even get automatically buried in newly formed sand :haw:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lorini posted:

They increased methane gas output in geysers yesterday so it looks like they want you to further explore the map in the mid game, assuming (as in every friggin colony I've started in the last month) you don't get a NG geyser nearby.

I use debug mode to examine the map every time I start a new game. If I don't have one NG geyser and one steam vent relatively near, I start over.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Literally Kermit posted:

Sandbox is pretty fun.

Dupes don't swim in molten glass too good, last a surprisingly longer time than I thought, and even get automatically buried in newly formed sand :haw:

Haha at the end of Cryptic Fox's latest livestream he flooded the base with molten copper. It took a surprising amount of time before we started getting those death chimes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q92XrW7f2jg&t=94m22s

(The Joe he mentions in the vid is a dupe that got sacrificed to a volcano a few livestreams ago)

I think it's molten glass time for my colony. :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This just popped up for me on Steam at $15 (40% off) - it seems like an interesting enough game, but is there enough replayability to make it worth it? I've watched a couple videos and it seemed interesting enough, just can't think of anything to compare it to really.