Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Solice Kirsk posted:

Moby Dick is maybe 200 pages of interesting wrapped in 600 pages of "paid by the word" bullshit.

This, is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Moby Dick is maybe 200 pages of interesting wrapped in 600 pages of REALLY interesting.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Sham bam bamina! posted:

When BravestOfTheLamps is on probation, I want him to take the time that he'd otherwise spend posting and write the third Kingkiller book for Rothfuss. We'd have it by the end of the year.

I'd help crowdfund that poo poo

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ccs posted:

Rothfuss' book topped another list of best fantasy novels (of the 21st century.) https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/04/the-50-best-fantasy-novels-of-the-21st-century.html?p=2

That's a funny way to spell The Wizard Knight 50 times

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hey! Look what my buddy linked to me to prove that I've been saying Cthaeh wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPEB6NAGoYk

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey! Look what my buddy linked to me to prove that I've been saying Cthaeh wrong!

I love that right as he's being pedantic about how Caeldish is pronounced he completely gets the ethnicity of his own characters wrong.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
if i ever see rothfuss irl, regardless of where he is or what he's doing, i intend to mace him

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You've made it a whole month with this account. Were you finally granted amnesty?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Jesus dont narc bro

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I don't think an honest question from me in the thread about Patrick Rothfuss is what's going to bring the hammer down on the lower-case poster updating everyone on Avshalom's birds in D&D and posting bizarre, Avshalom-esque jokes in the Auspol megathread.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Solice Kirsk posted:

"That's the Ctaeh, the creature in the fae."

Tolkenian. I'm also now willing to bet that all female characters are straight first name/last need mashups of women he wanted to gently caress in college.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 14, 2018

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You've made it a whole month with this account. Were you finally granted amnesty?
tentative amnesty, based on strict conditions

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

DEADLINE: And you’re leaving Lionsgate as The Kingkiller Chronicle is gearing up with the hope of a new franchise.
WACHSBERGER: The book is great. It’s massive and such a rich universe. This is the goal for every single studio: How to get a franchise. I remember for us at Summit the first one was Step Up and then Twilight and Now You See Me and Divergent. On this one, there is no question it could be a minimum of three movies and could be as many as six. Patrick Rothfuss is writing another book now and it’s going to be a big book in terms of size. I have no idea when he’s going to come out with it, but it’s such a great, amazing universe and that’s I think probably one of the reasons Sam Raimi took it, and he was not the only one who wanted it. And Lin-Manuel Miranda, that was an incoming call. Usually on movies you try to go after a director and other people. On this one it was coming our way. It took a long time. We had to go to Comic-con to basically track Patrick to convince him to do a movie and to do it with us

From a 'recent' (last month) interview with the Lionsgate CEO as he's on his way out.

How the hell are you getting six movies out of the books? Less than one book worth of stuff has happened so far.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Kchama posted:

From a 'recent' (last month) interview with the Lionsgate CEO as he's on his way out.

How the hell are you getting six movies out of the books? Less than one book worth of stuff has happened so far.

buttloads of painstakingly designed and rendered CG setpieces

you will believe that a musical note can say “sad”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My guess is they aren't going to be focusing on the books at all and are just going to create stories based around the D&D and inventory rules that Rothfuss has created.

edit:
Also, I think Miranda could do a pretty good job with the music. He sucks at rap, but he's good at other stuff.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

My guess is they aren't going to be focusing on the books at all and are just going to create stories based around the D&D and inventory rules that Rothfuss has created.

That's the ticket. Get to slap the "kingkiller" label on it and use something like sympathy and naming.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It could be like Harry Potter where Kvothe is at the University and every year he gets a lead on a different Chandrian, goes out a-killin, learns some things, then goes back to start the next term. Slowly build up the tension with Ambrose, and have each film end with old Kote polishing glasses with just the hint of a gleam in his eye. Truck in on Kote's sword, cut to black.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
A decent writer can make plenty of stories using a remade setting. If you gave Raimi and LMM the basics of one of the D&D campaign settings they'd be able to churn out a ton of poo poo from those. Works with video games too (ie: Betrayal at Krondor). Kingkiller's setting is generic as hell with the only interesting thing being the omniscient rear end in a top hat tree. Its major magic system (Naming) has existed in story telling since ancient Egypt but there's still enough of an established world that others could write endless filler stories to take place in it.

Rothfuss is going to make a stupid amount of money off of these movies that don't actually need him and his setting but think "Kingkiller" being attached will somehow be what makes the movies good or not.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If only Joe Abercrombie's work could get an adaption with this kind of funding behind it...

But his is less wish fulfillment, more "everybody suffering."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

If only Joe Abercrombie's work could get an adaption with this kind of funding behind it...

Hopefully they'd also faithful to the bizarre Islamophobia

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Both the Union and Gurkhul (and Styria) are equally bad. Khalul just has a different means of controlling his people. The Emperor there was trying to negotiate peace with Glokta through his ambassador before Khalul had him killed.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm yes, it's not bizarre and terrible to show Islam being led by cannibal monsters because both sides are bad.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I mean, there are bad people and good people in any race, creed, religion, but Abercrombie hasn't showed us the "good" faux muslims, which is maybe a problem that cant be overcome in universe because the religion/culture seems to be centered around eating people.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The other side is using magic radioactivity that ends up killing one of the only actually honest characters in the whole series along with scores of others. Both sides are using whatever methods they can to get at the last vestiges of magic to use against each other, while developing technology to aid the killing in lieu of magic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ccs posted:

But his is less wish fulfillment, more "everybody suffering."

He's not as overrated as Rothfuss (as such a thing isn't possible) but man people sure like First Law as a series that defies expectations (the same thing people think about ASOIAF) despite it being extremely predictable (like the helpful wizard actually being a real selfish/evil rear end in a top hat, or that Glokta was going to get to torture his rear end in a top hat boss) and being about as tropey as possible.

I must've just mentally blocked out that one empire being a Muslim allegory because they were just so comically evil and stupid that I kinda rolled my eyes at them in their entirety.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think Abercrombie became a better writer with his later books but I still like The First Law the most as a piece. I'm really interested in reading his new trilogy to see how his better writing gels with another 3 books to tell a complete story.

Also I was primed for the evil Muslim horde villains by the manga Berserk where one of the minor villain is this dude:

It's very similar to The First Law in that the main villain of Berserk is also a white dude who seems friendly at first.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

A decent writer can make plenty of stories using a remade setting. If you gave Raimi and LMM the basics of one of the D&D campaign settings they'd be able to churn out a ton of poo poo from those. Works with video games too (ie: Betrayal at Krondor). Kingkiller's setting is generic as hell with the only interesting thing being the omniscient rear end in a top hat tree. Its major magic system (Naming) has existed in story telling since ancient Egypt but there's still enough of an established world that others could write endless filler stories to take place in it.

Rothfuss is going to make a stupid amount of money off of these movies that don't actually need him and his setting but think "Kingkiller" being attached will somehow be what makes the movies good or not.

Honestly, I think once Game of Thrones ends no one is going to care about adult dark fantasy poo poo for a long time. They'll have to rush this thing out before that series ends or I think they'll miss the boat.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
who wait was one of the fake muslim nations really called styria

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

who wait was one of the fake muslim nations really called styria

Nah, Styria is like a bunch of fake italian cities.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BTW why do fantasy novels always fail to have fantasy settings. Its always poorly masqueraded mimicries of the real world. There is always a bunch of brown people with turbans in the east who live in a desert and always people from "the mysterious far east" whoo have curved swords and poo poo

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW why do fantasy novels always fail to have fantasy settings. Its always poorly masqueraded mimicries of the real world. There is always a bunch of brown people with turbans in the east who live in a desert and always people from "the mysterious far east" whoo have curved swords and poo poo

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Because they're telling stories about our world through the guise of fantasy. And because making up fake history is hard.

As a teenager reading these books you feel really clever figuring out the parallels between the fake nations and its historical equivalent.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ccs posted:

As a teenager reading these books you feel really clever figuring out the parallels between the fake nations and its historical equivalent.
My reaction was always, "OK, I get it."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's not as bad as the fact that most fantasy settings are (far) post-apocalyptic in some fashion, with some ancient advanced race/civilization having existed previously. Comes from the same issue (copying Tolkien and/or not being able to world build without using earth as a template is rough).

Some copying makes sense. It'd be weird to have a desert people who were pasty white, for example, because it'd run counter to the results of living in that environment unless they were a subterranean people. The "this foreigner in my fantasy-Europe comes from the fantasy far-east and uses a katana" is just taking the "it's hard to make a not-earth fantasy setting" to the extremes of laziness.

OTOH even Tolkien literally copied the Book of Genesis for creating Arda and Middle Earth is very much based on Europe.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Man, I came into this thread hoping that the new posts was an indication of the third book coming out.

Are there any recommendations for good fictional books with fake history?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TV Zombie posted:

Ada, or Ardor
Dictionary of the Khazars

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

You never went to a public school?

Jesus

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Some copying makes sense. It'd be weird to have a desert people who were pasty white, for example, because it'd run counter to the results of living in that environment unless they were a subterranean people.

Why do we suddenly care about making sure people's physiology follows the rules of traditionally understood science in a world of magic?

Maybe in your fantasy world melanin is white or whatever or there is no such thing as ultraviolet rays or maybe white is absorbing light instead of black

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why do we suddenly care about making sure people's physiology follows the rules of traditionally understood science in a world of magic?

Maybe in your fantasy world melanin is white or whatever or there is no such thing as ultraviolet rays or maybe white is absorbing light instead of black
This is horseshit, as is the point it's responding to. It's not "copying" specific real-world populations for humans to have darker skin under heavy sunlight, any more than it is for them to eat and sleep. And it doesn't somehow involve more imagination for them to have lighter skin. There's no reason to arbitrarily change basic, obvious facts about how the world works if you aren't radically altering the whole fabric of natural laws and wave the discrepancies away with "magic" when magic somehow leaves everything else alone.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Let's assume that we do have a desert full of porcelain-white humans and that the reason is because there's no UV radiation in sunlight. What does a world without UV radiation even look like, and why does it still have humans? And if it looks the same, then you're changing a fundamental quality of the universe for no reason except to contrive the most trivial of cosmetic details. It's idiocy either way.

I'm not saying that you can't have a desert full of white people. I'm saying that you can't pretend that ad-hoc justifications for it won't be stupid.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 11, 2018