Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A random turtle waddles up and bites them to death because a stray attack hit it at some point.

E: Leaving this out of context for the new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Woof Rimatomics is involved :shepface: I'm trying to fill in the geysers on the map to avoid that weird lag whenever they erupt, so I'm limited to solar and living batteries until I get this thing built.

Don't get me wrong, I'm way into It, but dang it's not something you can rush for

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Rynoto posted:

Fluffy's Breakdowns

While you're at it just grab everything fluffy has made because they should all be in the base game.

Some of these are pretty weird but others are pretty vital. The one that prevents pawns from using glitterworld meds to fix scratches is total gold

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Some of these are pretty weird but others are pretty vital. The one that prevents pawns from using glitterworld meds to fix scratches is total gold

Pharmacist is super good, but I don't know that it's vital; before I had it I would just keep the glitterworld meds forbidden until they were needed.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

And then the surgeon goes into surgery with just a pack of bandages.

You fool! You can’t transplant a heart with a roll of cloth!

But then because it’s a bionic surgeon they succeed anyway.

Mostly my colonists just need protection from my forgetfulness and lack of oversight.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The mermaid thing is just good old-fashioned dwarven ingenuity. No problem there.

McGiggins posted:

That sounds like an exceedingly efficient method fish-veal-bone-getting, and I dont see why people would have a problem with other people doing that in a video game.

I often trap wild carnivores in pens (while I try to tame them) and feed my excess limbless prisoners to them, and sometimes my excess limbless colonists too (lord of the rim doesn't do replacements). I dont see a basis for people being morally outraged beyond the merest trifle of disapproval about what I do with my fake mans.

Fish veal story is a-ok by my books, so now I'm curious as to what won the contest, and why someone would get "unpersoned" for winning said videogame contest.

I don't suppose anyone knows anything more about it?

Okay, looks like Goons are much less squeamish than other internet populations The gist of the guy who won the evil poo poo thread in DF was Oorblock Meatgod (or something similar) modded genitals and sex into DF, then decided to take 'gently caress Elves' a little too literally, and raped an elven child to death. That's about all I know, it might have been that he described it in way too much detail or something, but the forum tried to erase him for it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

And then the surgeon goes into surgery with just a pack of bandages.

You fool! You can’t transplant a heart with a roll of cloth!

But then because it’s a bionic surgeon they succeed anyway.

Mostly my colonists just need protection from my forgetfulness and lack of oversight.

You can cure a heart attack with grass clippings if you have enough bionics.

Ashsaber posted:

Okay, looks like Goons are much less squeamish than other internet populations The gist of the guy who won the evil poo poo thread in DF was Oorblock Meatgod (or something similar) modded genitals and sex into DF, then decided to take 'gently caress Elves' a little too literally, and raped an elven child to death. That's about all I know, it might have been that he described it in way too much detail or something, but the forum tried to erase him for it.

Rimworld: Casual Atrocity Appreciation Station

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Warmachine posted:

You can cure a heart attack with grass clippings if you have enough bionics.

I've definitely cured heart attacks with a bionic doctor and no medicine, though it was probably a silly idea to use my best doc trying to save the heart attack boomalope.

Bomb defusing, medical style, by doing something with just hands.

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

How many Trauma Center games did that happen in? I'm sure at least one.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Warmachine posted:

:discourse:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Ashsaber posted:

Eh I think it depends if you're finding it/reporting about it or actually doing the hosed up thing. Like you telling us here about the DF thing, vs that insanely creepy fairy torture guy in the Minecraft thread who thought it was a super fun thing to do.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The Bay 12 forum is a terrible cesspit of in-groups and bullshit, and while Toady is doing great at making his game (one of God's own prototypes there), he's a terrible community manager who routinely deletes posts and bans people who offend cliques instead of showing examples of unacceptable behaviour and why it should be stopped.

Really I'm surprised that someone was apparently publicly given the boot on that one instead of silently being unpersoned, as is the norm.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trip reports are definitely fine and dandy. Just don't touch and/or be the poop.

Anticheese posted:

The Bay 12 forum is a terrible cesspit of in-groups and bullshit, and while Toady is doing great at making his game (one of God's own prototypes there), he's a terrible community manager who routinely deletes posts and bans people who offend cliques instead of showing examples of unacceptable behaviour and why it should be stopped.

Really I'm surprised that someone was apparently publicly given the boot on that one instead of silently being unpersoned, as is the norm.

Pretty much.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The municipality-by-the-plain...which is by a river. In a forest.

But maybe they are forward thinking given the current rate of deforestation.

Anyway, I tried a quest to rescue a fallen colonist and it turned out to be a werewolf ambush and my space-elf died trying to escape, blasting her shock rifle. Unfortunately, the werewolves had luger pistols and a trench shovel.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
My huge colony in the jungle just died to malaria and the plague. The disease shot there is no frickin joke. Rip my 8 or 9 dudes and good luck to the remaining 4.

You guys play on year round harvest maps or ones with growing seasons? I usually play an easy mountain temperate forest with year round growing. Easy mode.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

vandalism posted:

My huge colony in the jungle just died to malaria and the plague. The disease shot there is no frickin joke. Rip my 8 or 9 dudes and good luck to the remaining 4.

You guys play on year round harvest maps or ones with growing seasons? I usually play an easy mountain temperate forest with year round growing. Easy mode.

Temperature is really only an issue in the first year, after that you can have plenty of power (and researched fuses) to use sunlamps to grow year round whenever you want without having to worry about it.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

GreenMarine posted:

The municipality-by-the-plain...which is by a river. In a forest.

But maybe they are forward thinking given the current rate of deforestation.

Anyway, I tried a quest to rescue a fallen colonist and it turned out to be a werewolf ambush and my space-elf died trying to escape, blasting her shock rifle. Unfortunately, the werewolves had luger pistols and a trench shovel.

I had the opposite, Nehope by the River. A mountainous Arid Scrubland. The nearest river was probably a half dozen world tiles away.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

vandalism posted:

I like jungles. It's grow season almost all year with a few cold snap occasions. The marshy soil is something to deal with and make sure you trade like fuckin mad for nuetroamine so you can a steady supply of pheno but overall it isn't too challenging

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

LegoMan posted:

I like jungles. It's grow season almost all year with a few cold snap occasions. The marshy soil is something to deal with and make sure you trade like fuckin mad for nuetroamine so you can a steady supply of pheno but overall it isn't too challenging

The plague and malaria is what done me in. Didnt have enough meds to support my crew and a failure cascade ensued. But I finally learned how disease progress works after like 3 years.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/1005792517005045760

Hope for 64 bit Rimworld?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"shithole countries"

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Who said shithole countries?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Trump?

Rimworld is certainly a shithole though :v:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Can confirm, everyone crossing my borders and walls are criminals and murderers, but like any resource efficient society, they have been repurposed into foot soldiers, gardeners, labourers , hats and food.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'll take murderers any day over these glitterworld divas that won't deign to move rocks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'll take murderers any day over these glitterworld divas that won't deign to move rocks.

The Hated Work Type mod makes this so much less aggravating, it's still absolutely unsustainable to have colonists do their hated work on even a medium term basis {as it should be) but when half your colony are hospitalised from a raid and [i]someone[/] needs to haul those harvested crops out of the rain before they rot its a godsend

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's why you worship the one Elder God that lets you re-write their past. Roll that die!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hope that jumps to the #1 priority in implementation for 1.0. The 32-bit branch of the current beta can saved for those very few users who are using 32-bit operating systems in the year of our lord 2018.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I spent like 20 minutes customizing my dudes in prepare carefully then my game crashed. Turns out it doesn't play nice with Psychology. RIP.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

vandalism posted:

I spent like 20 minutes customizing my dudes in prepare carefully then my game crashed. Turns out it doesn't play nice with Psychology. RIP.

Right after you design all their mental poo poo and then go to start and there's this weird crash with settling?

I hope you saved your colonists before starting - they'll still be loadable in Prepare Carefully, so then you can just load them up and get going. It was something about customizing their brains right before hitting go that the game didn't like for me. But if you saved the brain changes, the changes persisted yet crash did not occur.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Right after you design all their mental poo poo and then go to start and there's this weird crash with settling?

I hope you saved your colonists before starting - they'll still be loadable in Prepare Carefully, so then you can just load them up and get going. It was something about customizing their brains right before hitting go that the game didn't like for me. But if you saved the brain changes, the changes persisted yet crash did not occur.

I have exactly the same issue. I can play around with a load out all I want put I have to save it because there is a 99.9% chance it’ll crashes when I confirm it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

multijoe posted:

The Hated Work Type mod makes this so much less aggravating, it's still absolutely unsustainable to have colonists do their hated work on even a medium term basis {as it should be) but when half your colony are hospitalised from a raid and [i]someone[/] needs to haul those harvested crops out of the rain before they rot its a godsend

I'll have to try that. I prefer not to Prepare Carefully because :xcom: but I have to at least randomize my starters so I dont get people who are functionally useless

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Prepare Carefully is good for dumb gimmicks like solo mad scientist or group of cast-out cannibals.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Prepare Carefully is also great for when you lose a colony to save corruption or a new mod installation, and want to be like "alright whatever just loving drop a multi-analyzer at the start"

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am using Prepare Carefully to make sure that least 2 of my starting colonists have a decent medicine skill, becouse I am playing with Crashlanding mod and starting with anything less than that is just unreasonable.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I Prepare Carefully mostly so I can set up more lore accurate starts, for example if I'm doing a tribal start I try to have people be related to each other, and have one person be a hunter/loner type figure who I headcanon was outside the village when the mechanoids came, and returned to find a handful of other survivors who had hidden somewhere. Stuff like that.

As for horrific stuff the only one I've ever been truly IRL bothered by was someone on the DF forums who described, at great length, all kinds of hosed up body horror poo poo he wanted to do and how he wished the game would allow it. Like, splicing dwarves with a dung beetle so they had to eat feces to not starve, fashioning walls out of living people cut up and stitched together, all sorts of stuff that's bad enough to describe second-hand but which was truly a thing of hosed up-ness to see someone describe, first hand, in deep detail. This dude clearly watched The Human Centipede and went "Yeah that seems like a cool idea!"

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
And its p hosed up that he wants that, but again, videogame. Should only be a merest trifle of "that's hosed up bro", before you move on to having your colonist kill, butcher, and then making a hat out of her incapacitated mother

I've long had the idea of trying to make my own "tie down" mod so I could use otherwise useless prisoners as living combat shields/cover, or tie them down in the wild/tame animal pen, forbid them food, and then have them be eaten when they die of hunger. Sort of like a living person pantry for my carnivores.

Its hosed up that I think that would be a cool mechanic addition for my violent sociopath colony, sure, but again, videogame?

I dunno, maybe I'm not greping something important here.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

McGiggins posted:

And its p hosed up that he wants that, but again, videogame. Should only be a merest trifle of "that's hosed up bro", before you move on to having your colonist kill, butcher, and then making a hat out of her incapacitated mother

I've long had the idea of trying to make my own "tie down" mod so I could use otherwise useless prisoners as living combat shields/cover, or tie them down in the wild/tame animal pen, forbid them food, and then have them be eaten when they die of hunger. Sort of like a living person pantry for my carnivores.

Its hosed up that I think that would be a cool mechanic addition for my violent sociopath colony, sure, but again, videogame?

You're not grokking how horrifying it can be to realize that someone else on this planet earth wants that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

McGiggins posted:

Normal: I want to create Dr. Moreau style human/creature hybrids.

Weird: I want to create a specific hybrid that eats its own poo poo. Not sexually though. It's totally a sex thing.

Normal: A horror mod where you could use human flesh to build walls would be kinda neat. Maybe have it create a fear malus within a certain radius.

Weird: I want to build walls by sewing together people while they're still alive, with animated sprites, audible moans and screams...

...yeah, I can't pull that off anymore. When I start thinking about the mechanics of the flesh wall in detail I start getting squeamish. There's a fine line between creating a horror flavor or grotesque absurdity and reveling in atrocity, and for the vast majority of people it's a pretty easy line to spot none the less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

McGiggins posted:

:chloe:

anyway... One time I tried to use Prepare Carefully to make a large group of raiders, with some armor and some lovely shotguns and SMGs and grenades. I tried to go attack a settlement and 3 of my guys eat a fire mortar round on the way in to the attack, I lose a guy taking down a turret, and the pawns there mobbed the rest of my guys with hunting rifles and melee. I think I made the average raid experience but for the AI? It was pretty funny though, I got the villagers to flee from the fight, away from their own village, while my invading army was downed.