Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Yeah, I figured as much. Destiny looks like a really sweet map and a lot of the admin staff likes the look of it here, so I figured I'd ask. Our map guy quit in a huff because they were told not to abuse a loophole they found to play internet sounds without permissions (they played a lot of annoying poo poo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Sixfools posted:

also a fun relevant player complaint:

This was a mildly funny SS13 anecdote up until "First off. Thats not how Vore works.", at which point it suddenly became loving side-splitting

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The ERP discussion reminds me of a time on /TG/ station when I was the AI and some people decided to gently caress in the head of staff conference room. Now normally I wouldn't have given a poo poo, but I could hear their emotes through the walls, so clearly I had a duty to mess with them. I entered the room via the holographic array to ask them to stop. I may have also turned on the wall radio in the room, or just the microphone, it's been a while. Also might have opened the window shutters. Rather gentle, but Asimov laws, what can you do?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Alert the crew to the crewmembers that appear to be wrestling in the bridge and bolt open the doors to allow security to safely break up the fight.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Space Station 13: First off, that's not how vore works.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

tweet my meat posted:

Alert the crew to the crewmembers that appear to be wrestling in the bridge and bolt open the doors to allow security to safely break up the fight.

I think that’s how it works in Paranoia, too. Hetero sex is treasonous since you’re attempting to reproduce outside the cloning process. Friend Computer has no concept of homo sex because nobody ever programmed it to care so it understands it as wrestling, which is a perfectly non-treasonous activity if ill-advised during a mission.

Open the blinds and let security break up the fight, obviously.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think that’s how it works in Paranoia, too. Hetero sex is treasonous since you’re attempting to reproduce outside the cloning process. Friend Computer has no concept of homo sex because nobody ever programmed it to care so it understands it as wrestling, which is a perfectly non-treasonous activity if ill-advised during a mission.

Okay, there has got to be an anecdote for how you got to that rule :suspense:.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, there has got to be an anecdote for how you got to that rule :suspense:.

Latest edition’s writers think it’s funny.

The latest edition isn’t very good.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
To be fair im queer and my experience in that regard can pretty much be summed up as "ill advised wrestling"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I am also queer and while there are some things about the latest Paranoia edition I don't like, the Computer being completely unaware of queerness because it was programmed by oblivious straight people is a great bit of dark humour

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Angry Diplomat posted:

I am also queer and while there are some things about the latest Paranoia edition I don't like, the Computer being completely unaware of queerness because it was programmed by oblivious straight people is a great bit of dark humour

Also reflective of the biases unconsciously trained into machine learning systems today.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, Apophis, the host of the largest server, Colonial Marines, was recently outed as a pedo. Incidentially he's also a teacher. :froggonk:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
But can he gather wool?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
At leaat we know Cogwerks isn't one; He's already been investigated by the FBI :v:.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

AGGGGH BEES posted:

So, Apophis, the host of the largest server, Colonial Marines, was recently outed as a pedo. Incidentially he's also a teacher. :froggonk:

CM seems to have ejected him pretty quickly after this

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Lol thats the guy who tried to ban me for being named johnny footballs

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

last time I played colonial marines I got yelled at by the admins because someone managed to detach the Requisition Officer's "Next!" Button from the wall and I ran off with and started mashing it, not realizing that in addition to shouting "Next!" it also violently catapulted people from the req line.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cock hero flux posted:

last time I played colonial marines I got yelled at by the admins because someone managed to detach the Requisition Officer's "Next!" Button from the wall and I ran off with and started mashing it, not realizing that in addition to shouting "Next!" it also violently catapulted people from the req line.

The HoP's desk needs one of those :stare:.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The HoP's desk needs one of those :stare:.

Yeah, this is the first time I've heard of something from a non-Goon server that actually sounded rad, then again, I feel like making something that does that automatically would take away the fun of letting the Mechanics set it up themselves.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

AGGGGH BEES posted:

why am i not surprised? dude's a libertarian so lol of course.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AGGGGH BEES posted:

But I thought Colonial Marines was based on Aliens, not Star Trek?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I kinda wonder what the feasibility of adding 'prebaked' mechanics devices / mechanic support to stuff in the game. Like airlocks or mass drivers. So that those devices can than be modified / sabotaged / turned into devious traps

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Fiddling with things is my favourite

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

I kinda wonder what the feasibility of adding 'prebaked' mechanics devices / mechanic support to stuff in the game. Like airlocks or mass drivers. So that those devices can than be modified / sabotaged / turned into devious traps

Mechanics support is doable with a little recoding, I believe prebaked connections are a little more tricky but I imagine they're not impossible.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Motherfucker posted:

I like this a lot. As a bonus, more mechanics examples at round start will give people new to mechanics ideas on how to set things up and how they can make their own projects. They also get a device to screw around with and improve rather than having to invent it all whole cloth.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Isaac posted:

Fiddling with things is my favourite

It's Apophis' favorite too!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dirk the Average posted:

I like this a lot. As a bonus, more mechanics examples at round start will give people new to mechanics ideas on how to set things up and how they can make their own projects. They also get a device to screw around with and improve rather than having to invent it all whole cloth.

What it needs to be is an area scanner that just stores the configs and layout of all Mechanical toys (teleporter/sensors/etc) in a selected grid area (say, 3x3 or 5x5).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Airlocks already have mechanics support - doors act as mechanics devices and can be connected up to a mechanics system. Their usefulness is a bit limited since they can only open public-access doors, but I once built a machine on Cogmap1 so that anyone who opened the first door to Research would also open the doors to the airbridge belt station...and anyone who opened the second door would trigger a graviton accelerator that would fire them across the hall and onto the belt station.

It's just that everything you can do with doors can be done better with pressure plates and teleport pads, without any of the pesky limitations you have to deal with when working with doors, so why bother?

As for mass drivers, graviton accelerators already exist. If you want to use the existing mass drivers, you don't need to rig anything up for them, but the accelerators are already better in every way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you want to manipulate doors, the superior way is to through the wifi anyway.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Everything is more fun with wireless.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ive tested lots of items to aee what interacts with mechcomp and the answer is not enough

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I did a thing with doors this most recent rear end Day. Snipped the door crush safety wire and stuck a signaler on the pulse-to-open/close wire for every public access door on the station. Set up a small mechanics project to continually pulse the signalers as fast as possible.

Hilarious to see people get caught in one, start limping to medbay, get caught in another along the way. Crunch.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Airlocks already have mechanics support - doors act as mechanics devices and can be connected up to a mechanics system. Their usefulness is a bit limited since they can only open public-access doors, but I once built a machine on Cogmap1 so that anyone who opened the first door to Research would also open the doors to the airbridge belt station...and anyone who opened the second door would trigger a graviton accelerator that would fire them across the hall and onto the belt station.

It's just that everything you can do with doors can be done better with pressure plates and teleport pads, without any of the pesky limitations you have to deal with when working with doors, so why bother?

As for mass drivers, graviton accelerators already exist. If you want to use the existing mass drivers, you don't need to rig anything up for them, but the accelerators are already better in every way.

what I'm saying is bring mechanics more to the fore so to speak, by making it a part of the main station rather than like... a side job, something you pick than gently caress off to the chapel to make a radio spambot or whatever. Like for example buttons for shutters and stuff should use the mechanics system. Minor stuff but it means if someone fucks up your shutter with a bomb or something you could have a mechanic replace it. Currently mechanics can build stuff, but like, linking up stuff with a multitool or whatever feels like a side system rather than a real, integrated part of the station. Which means any time it is used its instantly all eyes on the mechanics because any kind of fuckery is obvious. As we all know the point of your job is a cover story for your fuckery.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
With network components anything that uses packets is a mechanics device

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

what I'm saying is bring mechanics more to the fore so to speak, by making it a part of the main station rather than like... a side job, something you pick than gently caress off to the chapel to make a radio spambot or whatever. Like for example buttons for shutters and stuff should use the mechanics system. Minor stuff but it means if someone fucks up your shutter with a bomb or something you could have a mechanic replace it. Currently mechanics can build stuff, but like, linking up stuff with a multitool or whatever feels like a side system rather than a real, integrated part of the station. Which means any time it is used its instantly all eyes on the mechanics because any kind of fuckery is obvious. As we all know the point of your job is a cover story for your fuckery.

A lot of stuff already ties into the wired and wireless networking systems, and can be programmed and manipulated to some degree without ever touching a mechanics component or even a multitool.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I would like more stuff to be directly tied into mechcomp, though. My only concern is right now it's very easy to remove all connections from something and very annoying to restore them all, and there's no way to remove individual connections.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

I would like more stuff to be directly tied into mechcomp, though. My only concern is right now it's very easy to remove all connections from something and very annoying to restore them all, and there's no way to remove individual connections.

Yeah its frustrating as a traitor that you need all this setup time for a good boobytrap and someone can shut it all down with a multitool. Should be able to ID lock them or something

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Isaac posted:

Yeah its frustrating as a traitor that you need all this setup time for a good boobytrap and someone can shut it all down with a multitool. Should be able to ID lock them or something

:yeah:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Even if it just took an extra tool like a device analyser (something less common) so its less likely a passerby can disable it then and there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I mentioned it was my birthday in Discord earlier and got a surprise party on LLJK1. :lol:

At the end of the round, we were being served exotic meats for dinner in Clarion's owlery with the shuttle on the way (I think it was a bunch of butchered capsule critters). I snuck out to grab some Space Cola since there were no drinks and when I came back, there was frosted donut cake and all kinds of sweets! I got tased, batoned, and punched 28 times, then force-fed some cake. I think they went through 3 or 4 separate stun items. Then I got to ride in the cockpit of the shuttle on the way home. :3: