Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Is he supposed to be resembling miley cyrus or is my brain broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
His foreign policy is to come in like a wrecking ball

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
All I'm trying to do is get people to see donalds head on mileys body in their minds. And maybe hear the song in his voice too.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

No, one of the dynasties in China did what he said. Closed their borders, burned their ships, and went back to a very traditional way of life that left them behind everyone else.

Edit: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...f-a7612276.html

It was the Ming dynasty. It's one of the few things I remember from my college history classes.

5000 years of china

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Well, what do you do about that? Because I have no loving idea.

Seekhay posted:

I don’t either and it scares me. Like really scares me.

In the early stages of realizing you've been living under a vicious regime, probably the important thing to do is to just not give into despair, since that'd be an easy victory for the regime. And when your morale stabilizes, it'll be easier for you to get your bearings, connect with allies, plan, and execute. I think that even today, politics is still a local issue, and that you must first look at what's happening immediately around you and work on that level. I'm not much of an analyst or a prescriber of policy solutions, so I don't have a lot of specific advice about actions that you can take (but I try to follow certain public intellectuals who do that better). My niche is spiritual warfare, for lack of a less corny term, or the struggle to not give up in the face of unfavorable odds.

There's much confusion and disorganization, and the extent of the problem catastrophe is deep, much deeper than the cruelty and dictatorial behavior of Donald's administration, which is already bad. What I'd suggest trying is just attempting to go to bed tonight accepting that what's happened today is a done deal, fait accompli. But tomorrow, you will be vigilant for ways you can undermine the wrongdoing you've awakened to see.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 11, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The counterweight to Trump is going to be the states, which is why taking back state houses and governorships is probably as important if not more important than taking back the house. With enough states on board you can do poo poo like amend the Constitution.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Man my heart goes out to all the people in state, the alphabet agencies and various apparati of America Foreign policy and the people who have spent their entire lives in that field working on whatever issue or problem that interested them. From the people in suits behind a nice desk debating policy to joe making GBS threads in a bag to keep eyes on someone or something to have your life's work compromised and broken in such a way that it may never be fixable is devastating.

Look at the south China Sea, that genie isn't going back in the bottle. The president is openly pushing Russian policy and US credibility throughout every facet of life in the world is damaged irreparably. Can you imagine what trying to recruit sources or assets is like now? Or in two years?

I have a friend whose entire life's work was NKOREA and all of it is just loving worthless and ignored. No one in the white house gives a gently caress about anything.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Man my heart goes out to all the people in state, the alphabet agencies and various apparati of America Foreign policy and the people who have spent their entire lives in that field working on whatever issue or problem that interested them. From the people in suits behind a nice desk debating policy to joe making GBS threads in a bag to keep eyes on someone or something to have your life's work compromised and broken in such a way that it may never be fixable is devastating.

Look at the south China Sea, that genie isn't going back in the bottle. The president is openly pushing Russian policy and US credibility throughout every facet of life in the world is damaged irreparably. Can you imagine what trying to recruit sources or assets is like now? Or in two years?

I have a friend whose entire life's work was NKOREA and all of it is just loving worthless and ignored. No one in the white house gives a gently caress about anything.

Look at the bright side: a lot of these people getting their life's work destroyed by Trump are republicans

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's not just the intelligence agencies, it's happening all over. There's been a slew of highly successful, very important military health contracts or government programs that in the last year have found themselves canceled. Stuff that was started in the GWB/Obama presidencies but not canceled as part of traditional administrative turnover. Stuff that was created so that when the next war happens, we don't gently caress up treatment for things as badly as before.

Oh well! gently caress are troopz I guess.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I did read a pretty interesting and accurate article in NYT today, about how if you were a Russian agent sent to destabilise the West, your actions would look really, really loving similar to what Trump is doing.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I did read a pretty interesting and accurate article in NYT today, about how if you were a Russian agent sent to destabilise the West, your actions would look really, really loving similar to what Trump is doing.

Link me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vasudus posted:

Oh well! gently caress are troopz I guess.

You will never convince the troops otherwise that the GOP hates their collective guts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This forum is the outlier of outliers.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Yeah, same.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Trump isn't a Russian agent. His entire administration is just full of useful idiots.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

psydude posted:

Trump isn't a Russian agent. His entire administration is just full of useless idiots.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Putin what do you most wish for? -To see NATO destabilized and its most powerful member advocate for us instead.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1005988633747312640

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

Mr. Putin what do you most wish for? -To see NATO destabilized and its most powerful member advocate for us instead.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1005988633747312640

A low-effort post regarding the 2% NATO spending stats that get tossed around:

1. 2% is a goal, not a mandate.
2. 2% is a highly imperfect measure and was basically born out of being easy to measure rather than being an effective measurement of how much you are contributing to collective defense and readiness.
4. It includes figures like overhead (civilian staff, buildings, senior staff) as well as items like military pensions and health costs. So you could end up paying 2% while building zero new capability and having moderate capabilities to begin with in comparison with a nation that has less military benefits.
5. Spending on things like infrastructure that can handle military vehicles and spending that generally aids with stability like economic programs, internal policing, civil border control, and customs/contraband enforcement generally do not count.
6. The US likes to count every dollar we spend as a contribution toward NATO, even if it's on a plane, ship, soldier, whatever that will never see the North Atlantic or Europe. Thank you, PACOM, for your contributions to NATO!
7. If you run an exceedingly efficient program and field more forces at a greater bang for your buck than your neighbor, and you spend 1.5% GDP, and they spend 2.1% GDP, guess who's considered the slacker?

There's plenty to be said about Europeans being able to credibly defend themselves with less US support or with the understanding that it takes time to get US forces to Europe, but the 2% stats get thrown around with zero context.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Doesn't Japan manage to still have the 8th largest defense budget in the world despite not spending more than 1% of it's GDP on its military.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Canada might start spending more on military if trump keeps his rhetoric up

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Unlikely. Being an rear end in a top hat is apparently a prerequisite for being in the Canadian military, and there's only so many of those in Canada.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

The avro arrow will see the light of day at last!

psydude posted:

Unlikely. Being an rear end in a top hat is apparently a prerequisite for being in the Canadian military, and there's only so many of those in Canada.

Alberta, Vancouver and most of Quebec have got you covered fam.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Handsome Ralph posted:

"The Avro Arrow II was instrumental in defeating the F-35 forces of the US-Russia-North Korea tripartite alliance invasion, now referred to as the 'Dairy War' of 2019."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Handsome Ralph posted:

Unfortunately, it's gone through some design compromises over the years.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

As Ralph already said, you definitely haven't been to Quebec

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Wannabe French people are the wrong kind of rear end in a top hat.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

psydude posted:

Wannabe French people are the wrong kind of rear end in a top hat.

lol, someone's never heard of the vandoos or the pararchute regiments "Somalia incident".

Also there's a reason why Matterhorn and every other piece of Vietnam War fiction includes a Canadian from either Vancouver or Alberta.

Edit: For the unaware, people in Alberta and Vancouver to a lesser extent get really gung ho about American wars for some odd reason. With the exception of Iraq, my family up there get really excited at pretty much any American intervention. Iraq was a tipping point though cause I remember my grandparents being super ok with the idea of me commissioning and going to Afghanistan but Iraq suddenly made them want me to not do that, move up north and enlist or commission with the CF instead.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 11, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah basically every Canadian military person I know has come from Alberta. And they've all been huge assholes.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the real comedy option is gonna be when everyone backs out of the F35

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So is the Worm in Singapore to introduce his two friends, or is he off leading a funeral for roadkill or whatever?

Although, if future children have to learn about one crossdressing Trump administration affiliate, I'd rather it be Rodman than Giuliani.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

This forum is the outlier of outliers.

Yeah, same.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/10/opinion/g7-trump-quebec-trudeau.html

Starts around paragraph 5

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 11, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The only Canadian military guy I know was a retired RCN guy who had whatever accent makes you pronounce "about" as "aboat".

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The only Canadian military guy I know was a retired RCN guy who had whatever accent makes you pronounce "about" as "aboat".

we all do that it is in no way a Canadian stereotype.

Trust me the CAF has just as many assholes in it as the US Military does.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

only Canadian military guy i have known bragged about being a founding member of the Canadian tea party, and had then moved to Texas and gotten his citizenship so he could help gently caress up America.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgZezt_ADEY

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So is the Worm in Singapore to introduce his two friends, or is he off leading a funeral for roadkill or whatever?

Although, if future children have to learn about one crossdressing Trump administration affiliate, I'd rather it be Rodman than Giuliani.

Rodman is in Singapore unrelated to the summit to launch an ICO called potcoin, but will probably be involved in the summit anyways because :lol: why not.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Rodman is in Singapore unrelated to the summit to launch an ICO called potcoin, but will probably be involved in the summit anyways because :lol: why not.

He’s there for the summit unless he’s stupid enough to start a drug ICO somewhere with the death penalty for possession.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hobbesmaster posted:

He’s there for the summit unless he’s stupid enough to start a drug ICO somewhere with the death penalty for possession.

I misunderstood. Potcoin is sponsoring his travel :lol:

https://twitter.com/dennisrodman/status/1005094659427880960

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/davidnakamura/status/1006029496321884160?s=21

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MA-Horus posted:

we all do that it is in no way a Canadian stereotype.

Trust me the CAF has just as many assholes in it as the US Military does.

You've got 1 million people in your military?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

That haircut is wild

• Locked thread