Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Labes for days posted:

It matters because it wasn't phosphorous exposure that crippled and killed them. They were deliberately given misinformation that radium was safe and healthy.

https://www.medicalbag.com/profile-in-rare-diseases/the-radium-girls/article/472385/

There's a good book on the legal battle that resulted from the dial painters' first noticing something was wrong through the medical and legal work that was needed to get their diseases and the unsafe conditions in which they were working recognize by various labour organisations. The book is titled Radium Girls by Kate Moore. It's an approachable read. Buzzfeed has an extract / article by the book author to let you know if you'd like the tone and feel of the book, and the whole thing is really heart-wrenching in places.

quote:

In September 12, 1922, the strange infection that had plagued Mollie Maggia for less than a year spread to the tissues of her throat. The disease slowly ate its way through her jugular vein. At 5 p.m. that day, her mouth was flooded with blood as she hemorrhaged so fast that her nurse could not staunch it. She died at the age of 24. With her doctors flummoxed as to the cause of death, her death certificate, erroneously, said she’d died of syphilis, something her former company would later use against her.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
From Imgur:

quote:

My roommate said the handle was making his hand tingle....#wtf #electricity

https://i.imgur.com/FO2uSaY.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:wtf:

I hope that is at least coming through the coil and not the body of the stove.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody ever had an arcade cabinet shock the gently caress out of them? I have fond memories of that as a kid.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Vargatron posted:

Anybody ever had an arcade cabinet shock the gently caress out of them? I have fond memories of that as a kid.

Just the Tron machine at the pool we used to swim. Touching that thing without drying off completely was a harrowing experience.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Nocheez posted:

Just the Tron machine at the pool we used to swim. Touching that thing without drying off completely was a harrowing experience.

. . . not the old water park outside Phoenixville I hope? That such a thing could happen in more than one instance frightens me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vargatron posted:

Yeah a kid I knew got shocked on the TMNT machine at the bowling alley in my town when I was a kid, hard enough to go down for a minute or two. He only got minor burns, but he got transported because the 21-ish year old guy running the arcade was at med school and insisted the kid got his heart checked out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Pepperoneedy posted:

. . . not the old water park outside Phoenixville I hope? That such a thing could happen in more than one instance frightens me.

No, near Canal Fulton, OH.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jet Jaguar posted:

This feels like a teaser for that video of a motorcycle cop driving through Jo'burg and firing three magazines from his pistol at a car. (How much property damage did that account for, as he missed a ton.)

If he was accidentally hitting black neighborhoods, South Africa doesn't count that as damage.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Pepperoneedy posted:

It was a Ms Pac Man machine for me. My uncle's condo on the beach had a small arcade right next to the pool deck. There were 4 or 5 machines there (Donkey Kong and Burger Time also zapped me a bunch of times) so it was a constant line of kids getting little shocks. Ms Pac Man would really sting though.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I had a block heater do that to me once. The whole car was energized at 110. Thank God for boots.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think it was I-Mockery or Retrocrush that had a mention of some amusement park or water park where the front panel of the drinking fountain had been torn off, exposing the wires just in case you wanted to touch them with wet hands while getting a drink.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

shame on an IGA posted:

The radium watch painters' terminal bonitis was caused by the glowing phosphors, incredibly the radium itself was the lesser occupational hazard and that condition had been epidemic in matchstick factories since the 1850s.

But enough about phossy jaw, lets's talk about spindle balls:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule_spinners%27_cancer

Radium jaw is different and no phosphorous compounds are necessary to induce it. The patent medicine that Eben Byers consumed in great quantities was just radium dissolved in water and it caused his jaw to necrotize and fall off.

Radium jaw's a bit of a misnomer anyway. The bone necrosis caused by deposition of radium in the bone started in the jaw, but the rest of the skeleton was affected as well, with spontaneous fractures of the spine and legs also being common.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Safety thongs

I need those.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Not exactly the same thing and I was too young to understand the severity of what was going on.....

We had a metal medicine cabinet in our bathroom as a kid. If you touched it while dry you would feel nothing but if your hands were slightly wet you would get a slight shock, very slight. Well one day I get out of th shower and am drying off. I leaned over to dry my legs or whatever and my soaking wet hair touched that thing. Holy gently caress it was like :fuckoff: brought to life.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Speaking of nuclear accidents, apparently some old KGB documents showed up and the Chernobyl plant was knowingly constructed with substandard material and methods, and there were a number of accidents before the one everybody knows about.
https://translate.google.com/transl...t-text=&act=url

Was anyone surprised by this? That's basically ussr.txt.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My only electric shock more severe than static electricity was cleaning out a paper shredder that had gotten horribly jammed with shredding and paper dust. The actual shredder was a small unit about the size of a breadbox that fit on top of a large bin, so I removed it and was cleaning out the guts. I had it plugged in to run it manually and see where the jam was, and I stupidly tried to lift the circuit board without unplugging it. I noticed something was wrong when my hand started vibrating like my phone.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I used a shower in a hostel in rural China that energized the faucet and showerhead when the hot water heater was turned on. At least it reminded you very emphatically to kill the power before running the water!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Spime Wrangler posted:

I used a shower in a hostel in rural China that energized the faucet and showerhead when the hot water heater was turned on. At least it reminded you very emphatically to kill the power before running the water!
A friend stayed hostel in Sao Paulo that had an electric heater for shower head. He said it was a race to see if you could finish showering before the tingling became too much to handle.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i've been told that shower head can be an energizing experience

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm surprised they're so chill about the steam explosion possibility of the ear of corn getting enveloped. Lava is the worst popcorn flavor.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Platystemon posted:

Safety thongs

work changed their policy from closed toe shoes to shoes around the feet because of poo poo like this

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Who didn't learn as a child not to touch a hot stove?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man the page on Mule Spinner's Cancer linked to the one on Chimney sweeps' carcinoma

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimney_sweeps%27_carcinoma

(:nws: pic at link)

quote:

It is a disease which always makes it first attack on the inferior part of the scrotum where it produces a superficial, painful ragged ill-looking sore with hard rising edges.....in no great length of time it pervades the skin, dartos and the membranes of the scrotum, and seizes the testicle, which it inlarges, [sic] hardens and renders truly and thoroughly distempered. Whence it makes its way up the spermatic process into the abdomen.[12]

The fate of these people seems peculiarly hard ... they are treated with great brutality ... they are thrust up narrow and sometimes hot chimnies, [sic] where they are bruised burned and almost suffocated; and when they get to puberty they become ... liable to a most noisome, painful and fatal disease.

Those old-timey medical texts have something distinctly nightmarish about the language. I read a thing on x-ray burns progressing to cancer in technicians that was pretty horrible, and the Chimney sweep Thing doesn't pull any punches either:

quote:

"The sore occupies the whole of the left side of the scrotum and the inner angle of the thigh, extending from the anus to the posterior inferior spinous process of the ileum, presenting a surface as large as a man's open hand, with hard indurated edges and irregular margins, discharging a thin sanies, which is extremely offensive; the left testicle is entirely denuded, and projects from its centre; in the left groin is a mass of indurated glands, the size of a goose's egg, which appears to suppurate in the right groin: there is likewise an ulceration, of the same malignant nature, about the size of a half-crown (5 cm)..."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Man the page on Mule Spinner's Cancer linked to the one on Chimney sweeps' carcinoma

Those old-timey medical texts have something distinctly nightmarish about the language. I read a thing on x-ray burns progressing to cancer in technicians that was pretty horrible, and the Chimney sweep Thing doesn't pull any punches either:

:stonk:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
The house explosion reminded me of something local that happened a year ago, and I don't think I ever posted it.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article174908071.html

A couple guys in my town were making explosives out of a run-down lawnmower business. One night, the whole thing went up and completely leveled the building.

I live slightly less than a mile away, and the explosion was violent enough that it shook my house.

No videos of the actual explosion, but I manged to find one of the resulting fire.
https://twitter.com/lilgreenkc/status/816454073071321089

The place is directly across the street from a gas station, so many of us in town thought the gas station went up before the news started reporting what happened.

xergm fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 11, 2018

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sagebrush posted:

Pure radium would certainly glow if you put enough of it together. Except it would be glowing red from the decay heat, so it would just look like any other hot metal object, and that's not obviously ~radioactive~ enough to attract the average joe.

That's a plutonium dioxide pellet intended for a radioisotope thermoelectric generator. 238-Pu generates 560W/kg, so that 325-gram pellet that is a little over an inch across and tall is producing ~180 watts.

Forbidden gummy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zil posted:

Forbidden gummy.

The Jujube, the worst mass produced candy of all time.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

Man Mary Poppins must have been into some kinky poo poo if she liked the looks of that...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Memento posted:

If people are interested in nuclear stuff, @nuclearanthro on twitter is a great follow.

For instance, if I hadn't followed him, I might never have known about the scrotal radioendocrinator.
Scrotal Radioendocrinator is gonna be the name of my new band.

We'll play nothing but heavy metal covers. :v:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Cursed thread reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1rxsgUuew0

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The Jujube, the worst mass produced candy of all time.

...but also, oddly enough, the best drag queen of all time.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
My most memorable jolt was when installing new Ethernet in my house a few years ago. I was 8' up a ladder in the garage and I was going to crimp on the RJ45 tail. I cut off the sheathing but didn't want the little wire tips to scatter across the ground, so I held the tips of the wire in my teeth and then gingerly snipped them with my wire cutters. It was at that exact moment that I remembered that this was PoE wire and I had already wired in and powered the injector. A couple unexpected volts through the tongue woke me up quick.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

shame on an IGA posted:

The radium watch painters' terminal bonitis was caused by the glowing phosphors, incredibly the radium itself was the lesser occupational hazard and that condition had been epidemic in matchstick factories since the 1850s.

But enough about phossy jaw, lets's talk about spindle balls:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule_spinners%27_cancer

getting sold into chimneysweep child slavery also gave you sack cancer

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

MononcQc posted:

There's a good book on the legal battle that resulted from the dial painters' first noticing something was wrong through the medical and legal work that was needed to get their diseases and the unsafe conditions in which they were working recognize by various labour organisations. The book is titled Radium Girls by Kate Moore. It's an approachable read. Buzzfeed has an extract / article by the book author to let you know if you'd like the tone and feel of the book, and the whole thing is really heart-wrenching in places.

It's an excellent book and the fact that people in this very thread think that those women shouldn't have bothered fighting Radium Dial Corp is...special.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Labes for days posted:

It's an excellent book and the fact that people in this very thread think that those women shouldn't have bothered fighting Radium Dial Corp is...special.

Who was arguing they shouldn't have fought back? I didn't see that anywhere.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah noone said anything close to that.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
weener limit exceeded

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Like a hotdog in a breezeway.