Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Oh yeah, nicknames: REALLY BAD the Entei, and Minus the Plusle.

E:

Crosspeice posted:

Oh no, she dropped the Elevator Key!
I love that Wes Thomas steals a jail key and uses it to go into a prison cell and steal another key from a prisoner, then walks right out and nobody says anything. And that the game expects you to do this.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Funky Valentine posted:

The Double Battle format results in the Cipher Admins being given the most annoying goddamn strategies.

Dakim is arguably the worst.

Eh, I wouldn't say that...at least with Feraligator, you can sweep him away like nobody's business. The NEXT Admin, however...that was REALLY annoying :argh: !

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

By the way, there's something special about the Entei you caught in this update: compared to an Entei caught in FireRed or LeafGreen, yours has actual stats.

See, there's a bug in Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed and LeafGreen concerning roaming Pokemon. See, IVs (think base stats) are stored in 32-bit integers. However, when a roaming Pokemon is caught, only the first 8 bits are copied. While the HP IV is unaffected, the Attack IV can only be between 0 and 7, and every other IV is 0.

Guess what was the only other way to obtain Entei in Generation III?

As a loving roaming legendary in FireRed or LeafGreen.

Want an Entei in Generation III that will actually break any game you trade it to? Get to Snagging it with that maximum 7% catch rate!

:shepicide:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Your odds of hitting a 4% chance in 5 or fewer tries is like 18%. It's not that unlikely.

They'd be wise to give you better odds than that, because it leads to a really bad experience if you get unlucky, but that's true of the main series too, so who knows.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 11, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The roamers having the same piss-poor catch rate as the stationary legendaries was never not asinine and is one of the many reasons I'm glad roaming legendaries are dead and buried.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

Your odds of hitting a 4% chance in 5 or fewer tries is like 18%. It's not that unlikely.

They'd be wise to give you better odds than that, because it leads to a really bad experience if you get unlucky, but that's true of the main series too, so who knows.

It just really sucks for battles like this because going through Earthquake Crew every time really sucks and drains your resources.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Tried taking a look at Colosseum's catch rates due to the whole "boosted" catch rates thing. Well, the base catch rates are same as in the Gen III games. Entei has a catch rate of 3 and all that jazz. Couldn't take a look at the actual code though, so if anything boosts the catch rates, it's not handled through the Pokemon's base catch rates.

XD is mostly the same, but there are a few Shadow Pokemon in that game actually have different catch rates than what would normally be applied for them. However, most of them are just the same as the ones that are already in the normal Pokemon data.

Also tried to take a look into the boosted levels/stats thing for Shadow Pokemon. Well, the levels are correct in the data, so I dunno what causes enemy Shadow Pokemon to be supposedly "stronger." The trainer versions of those Pokemon have entirely randomly generated IVs and such, and their EVs are set to 0.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Saladin Rising posted:

I love that Wes Thomas steals a jail key and uses it to go into a prison cell and steal another key from a prisoner, then walks right out and nobody says anything. And that the game expects you to do this.

Unlike your average 11-year-old protagonist, Wes is an ex-criminal and his main way of obtaining Pokemon is stealing them from others. His morals are a bit...more loose than the usual. I guess he kind of has to be more flexible to end-justifies-the-means though, Orre is not a nice place to live.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Our protagonist being an ex-member of the criminal organization in question is probably how he knows where the secret lab is, too.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Zereth posted:

Our protagonist being an ex-member of the criminal organization in question is probably how he knows where the secret lab is, too.

Isn't he ex-Snagem, not ex-Cipher? Both of those isn't out of the question, but...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

AweStriker posted:

Isn't he ex-Snagem, not ex-Cipher? Both of those isn't out of the question, but...
... Wait there are different teams? Wow, I'm observant.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Snagem are the bald guys in red.

Cipher are the Kamen Rider cosplayers.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Snagem would've been in this game more, but we kinda blew their base up and stopped them from stealing more Pokemon.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Tried taking a look at Colosseum's catch rates due to the whole "boosted" catch rates thing. Well, the base catch rates are same as in the Gen III games. Entei has a catch rate of 3 and all that jazz. Couldn't take a look at the actual code though, so if anything boosts the catch rates, it's not handled through the Pokemon's base catch rates.

XD is mostly the same, but there are a few Shadow Pokemon in that game actually have different catch rates than what would normally be applied for them. However, most of them are just the same as the ones that are already in the normal Pokemon data.

Also tried to take a look into the boosted levels/stats thing for Shadow Pokemon. Well, the levels are correct in the data, so I dunno what causes enemy Shadow Pokemon to be supposedly "stronger." The trainer versions of those Pokemon have entirely randomly generated IVs and such, and their EVs are set to 0.

Interesting stuff, what does it say for Makuhita and Teddiursa, since those are 100% catches no matter what. The + in their level might be for when you encounter them again, otherwise it'd be really hard not knocking them out. If that's not the case, then I dunno what the + is for, since it's in XD as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, poo poo, still got two more suggestions for Mt. Battle Area 1-2 and Plusle needs a nickname! Any other Shadow Pokemon can use nicknames since I'll use them for Mt. Battle too, so go nuts.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 11, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

My theory is, if it will be visible anywhere, it'll be the catch formulat itself, not the base catch rates
either that or there's some other formula that gets called on between rolling the catch rate and actually catching

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I bet the time with Plusle will be a Negative one.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'd like to see Noctowl. I'll leave the nickname for someone clever, I never nickname my pokes.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Plusle? I think you mean Pikachu?

Solumin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 11, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
How's about Pikachu? including the question mark.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Wasn't it a Pikachu? you were given?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Edited mine to be Pikachu?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, sounds good, let's see how long it'll last with only Quick Attack as a damaging move. Feel free to keep other suggestions coming for nicknames for our other Shadow Pokemon, since I'll need them for Area 3-4.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crosspeice posted:

Alright, sounds good, let's see how long it'll last with only Quick Attack as a damaging move. Feel free to keep other suggestions coming for nicknames for our other Shadow Pokemon, since I'll need them for Area 3-4.

It'd be nice to have a list, I can't remember exactly what Pokemon we can vote for right now.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That sounds like too good of an idea for me to think of. I'll be using Umbreoff, Pikachu?, Skiploom, Entei, Noctowl and one other for Areas 1-2 and then Umbreoff and five others for Areas 3-4.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Use Misdreavus to demonstrate how Colosseum's AI snaps in half in its presence.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I actually used Plusle on my first playthrough, and it wasn't as hard as people seem to think. First the game gives you Remoraid to practice keeping an underleveled pokemon alive on the front lines, then Plusle is actually able to contribute to a fast attacker's sweeping with Helping Hand.

Sadly, I think we're past the point where Misdreavus exploits a hole in the game's AI.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Plusle is surprisingly decent in this game, mostly because it counts as a traded Mon and thus gets extra EXP.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crosspeice posted:

That sounds like too good of an idea for me to think of. I'll be using Umbreoff, Pikachu?, Skiploom, Entei, Noctowl and one other for Areas 1-2 and then Umbreoff and five others for Areas 3-4.

I've always been a fan of the theory that Entei was originally a Flareon. I can't think of any other names right now.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Name Misdreavus Medea, because apparently it's a Rule Breaker. :japan:

For stuff you actually want to use:
Milkweed for Skiploom, Reset for Entei, Owlton Brown for Noctowl

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Crosspeice posted:

Snagem would've been in this game more, but we kinda blew their base up and stopped them from stealing more Pokemon.

Interesting stuff, what does it say for Makuhita and Teddiursa, since those are 100% catches no matter what. The + in their level might be for when you encounter them again, otherwise it'd be really hard not knocking them out. If that's not the case, then I dunno what the + is for, since it's in XD as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, poo poo, still got two more suggestions for Mt. Battle Area 1-2 and Plusle needs a nickname! Any other Shadow Pokemon can use nicknames since I'll use them for Mt. Battle too, so go nuts.

180 for Makuhita, same as in the Gen III games. Haven't looked at Teddiursa's data yet.

I'm pretty sure any alteration would be handled through the catch rate code. Unfortunately, I have very little experience in disassembling GameCube code, so I can't really say how it's handled.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

swabby the swablu feels appropriate for our pokemon piracy game

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Plusle has a place in Colosseum because it's one of three (3) Electric-types in the whole game. And the third electric type isn't until the last quarter of the game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Call the Slugma Rava (Japanese for Lava)

If you remember the reference then grats! You may be as old as me! Or maybe you just peruse the LP Archive, I dunno

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
How about Dr. Hoot for the Noctowl?

Loading savestates for catching the shadow Pokémon does make it a lot easier! A lot of my resets in-game were due to using up my healing items/revives on the tougher teams, then not having enough to stall for Legendaries. Or losing to the rest of the team then resetting again.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Plusle is surprisingly decent in this game, mostly because it counts as a traded Mon and thus gets extra EXP.

Plus, the A.I. goes nuts trying to kill it. It's OHKOed by basically everything, so if you give it Protect, it can help stall for a bit while Espeon (or someone else strong) sweeps a Mon or buffs up with X Special.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Okay, for Area 1-2, I'll use Umbreoff, Pikachu?, Dr. Hoot, Flareon, Milkweed and Medea. I'll use Umbreoff, Rava, Swabby and three others for Area 3-4.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

These names are a mess and I wouldn't have it any other way.:allears:
I want to see an entire team of eeveelutions that aren't related to Eevee by the end of the game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Arcade Rabbit posted:

These names are a mess and I wouldn't have it any other way.:allears:
I want to see an entire team of eeveelutions that aren't related to Eevee by the end of the game.

You can be sure I'll vote for the inevitable Raikou and Suicune to be Vaporeon and Jolteon.

Respectively. Wouldn't want to be too predictable.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Raikou will be Vaporeon, Suicune will be Sylveon.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Crosspeice posted:

wait hang on

They only had the one snagging device? Their entire operation revolved around having at most one guy personally stealing pokemon one by one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zereth posted:

wait hang on

They only had the one snagging device? Their entire operation revolved around having at most one guy personally stealing pokemon one by one?

One can't blame them. Wes is very competent. If he hadn't decided to go rogue, he'd probably be incredibly effective in snagging Pokemon.

• Locked thread