Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

anatomi posted:

Can we make loss.jpg bannable

It's harder on the poster than it is on the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

anatomi posted:

'twould be a miscarriage of justice

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

anatomi posted:

Can we make asking to ban loss.jpg bannable?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

anatomi posted:

Can we make everything but loss.jpg bannable

Hmm... Seconded

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I apologize, I should've kept my filthy notions to myself. Sometimes I lash out at my surroundings. I believe this stems from a lack of father figures in my childhood. I'm very sorry if I hurt any of you.

<3
8=======D~~~

anatomi has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Jun 11, 2018

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Zipperelli. posted:

Put this idiot on ignore

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm at a loss.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm at a loss.

I've never understood loss.jpgs or why they are/were funny.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

No big loss.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Often harder on the working class.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Burt Sexual posted:

Imagine Rocky and Bullwinkle doing a segment where Borris rushes into a hospital to discover Natasha had a miscarriage. The extreme tonal dissonance between the regular light-hearted story telling and the extreme seriousness of that specific situation create an absurd contrast that produces humor.

Congratulations, this has been morning comedy 101

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burt Sexual posted:

It's a referential injoke that's been running for 10 years so there's nothing intrinsically funny about it.

SA has a loooong history of making fun of CTRL ALT DEL and we used to have a whole bunch of incredibly long megathreads where people obsessively hateread the strip and did a whole bunch of photoshops and bought forums emoticons and developed a whole bunch of jargon. The original "Loss" strip was just such a bizarrely incongruous and wrongheaded attempt to do a serious take on a serious subject in the middle of this pants-on-head-stupid monkey buttcheese random wackiness that it broke people's brains and launched a million parodies.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

Real answer: Because they aren't/weren't. The only purpose it serves is as a lowest-common-denominator litmus test for how hard you should roll your eyes when a new omg haha I didn't see it but then I DID version pops up.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Real answer: Because they aren't/weren't.

Real response: gently caress you, you hunorless golem.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's low hanging fruit for painfully unfunny people.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Real answer: Because they aren't/weren't. The only purpose it serves is as a lowest-common-denominator litmus test for how hard you should roll your eyes when a new omg haha I didn't see it but then I DID version pops up.
You said "lowest common denominator," invalidating your opinion and revealing yourself as an idiot. So sorry contestant, come back and try again next week.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Burt Sexual posted:

Loss and dick butt are the dumbest poo poo this forum keeps doing

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

You said "lowest common denominator," invalidating your opinion and revealing yourself as an idiot. So sorry contestant, come back and try again next week.

...okay, I guess? Sorry to piss on the Loss Appreciators Local 419 charter in the middle of reading the morning minutes or whatever, golly gosh fellas!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There is nothing wrong about having constant reminders of how utterly the original Loss failed in whatever the gently caress it set out to do.

The first time I saw it I thought "no loving way, he's never gonna live that down" and so far I'm absolutely right.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Loss isn't funny on it's own. It's mere existence is the joke. Also years and years of mock threads.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Loss and dick butt are the dumbest poo poo this forum keeps doing

It's like you're trying to get dogpiled by every poster in this thread

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
loads of steaming hot takes all over this thread

Somebody has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Jun 11, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

...okay, I guess? Sorry to piss on the Loss Appreciators Local 419 charter in the middle of reading the morning minutes or whatever, golly gosh fellas!

"Sorry Good Sex Lovers local 409, I guess I'm the only one around here that can't appreciate good sex!" -Pissed Ape Sexist where good sex is the loss.jpg of that universe

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

:randvince:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Oh boy, it sure is fun when people talk about why meme X isn't funny. I don't get the Simpsons lemon thing. Should I let people know?

quote:

Before you post: Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

man if we all stuck to that rule this forum really would be dead

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

RabbitWizard posted:

Oh boy, it sure is fun when people talk about why meme X isn't funny. I don't get the Simpsons lemon thing. Should I let people know?

The simpsons lemon hasn't been getting posted daily for 10 years.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Just scroll past (and heal).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

My Lovely Horse posted:

There is nothing wrong about having constant reminders of how utterly the original Loss failed in whatever the gently caress it set out to do.

The first time I saw it I thought "no loving way, he's never gonna live that down" and so far I'm absolutely right.

It wasn't even the comic itself that anyone cared about. It was the whole "miscarriage is often harder on the woman than the man, but" and the idea that bitches should just put up or shut up that the author spewed out with it.

That is the kind of poo poo you never live down and rightfully follows you for the rest of your life.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Loss is amazing because every parody, even the most brainless one, shows more care, thought and imagination than the original. It's an unending reminder of one mans failure to move on and heal.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

No no, it was supposed to be “There’s a child in every spunk!”

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It wasn't even the comic itself that anyone cared about. It was the whole "miscarriage is often harder on the woman than the man, but" and the idea that bitches should just put up or shut up that the author spewed out with it.

That is the kind of poo poo you never live down and rightfully follows you for the rest of your life.

Never forget his explanation why he can relate. This made it so incredible to me:

quote:

I know from personal experience what it can do to a relationship. Some many years ago, long before I started the comic, I was in a relationship and we suffered a miscarriage. Now, this relationship was toxic to begin with and doomed to fail regardless, so that the miscarriage was the straw that broke the camel’s back came as no surprise. It was a pregnancy neither of us wanted in the first place, so the event didn’t effect me nearly as much as it would, say, a couple who was trying for a child. Still, I saw the emotions it can bring up first hand, and I saw how it could truly hurt someone. It’s a tough thing to handle because it’s nobody’s fault. There’s nobody you can blame.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There are some good loss edits out there, but posting "wow loss edits sure are getting abstract" to anything with four panels is dreadfully unfunny.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

chitoryu12 posted:

No no, it was supposed to be “There’s a child in every spunk!”

See their user name.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
There's a handful of memes which deserve true scorn, but the ongoing mockery of Bum Tickley isn't one of them.

RabbitWizard posted:

Here you go: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/lemon-of-troy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

loads of steaming hot takes all over this thread