Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Well hopefully the map ends up being detailed with lots of cool environmental storytelling because I guess we aren’t going to get story or quests.

Thermonuclear take: This is actually Bethesda acknowledging the one thing they have always excelled at, in spite of themselves. There will be no terrible voice acting, as voice acting will be limited to a foley artist huffing helium and gargling Mountain Dew to simulate a rapidly deflating acid mole rat. There will be no terrible writing excepting the LP chronicling goon endeavors to build a giant wooden phallus that towers over the rolling hills of West Virginia. Surrounding it, a band of Jet-addled, leather daddy styled raiders exploiting emotes to gesture lewdly as the feral ghouls descend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rideable mothman mounts please.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

For what it's worth, I think it's kind of dumb that it looks like we're getting FEV monsters in this game, but I get why they wanted to include parts of the series people are used to seeing. My brain isn't going to break because I spot an inconsistency.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Catalyst-proof posted:

People who don't care about the game the thread is about shouldn't be in the thread.

the Fallout bibles for FO1/2 that got released back in the early aughts indicated a canon that was much less serious than what we currently have. people act like beth is making GBS threads on the FO lore, but FO1 was supposed to have a city of intelligent, mutant raccoons (it got cut due to time constraints). FO2 has a talking rad scorpion and an actual monty python skit all kinds of other wacky bullshit.

FO76 can be bad for a lot of reasons but acting like it's going to suck because of verisimilitude is dumb as hell.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Thermonuclear take: This is actually Bethesda acknowledging the one thing they have always excelled at, in spite of themselves. There will be no terrible voice acting, as voice acting will be limited to a foley artist huffing helium and gargling Mountain Dew to simulate a rapidly deflating acid mole rat. There will be no terrible writing excepting the LP chronicling goon endeavors to build a giant wooden phallus that towers over the rolling hills of West Virginia. Surrounding it, a band of Jet-addled, leather daddy styled raiders exploiting emotes to gesture lewdly as the feral ghouls descend.

there will still be plenty of bad voice acting and bad writing in elder scrolls VI and starfield though, they ain't acknowledging poo poo

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Brother Entropy posted:

the environment does make sense within the canon, though

this game is gonna suck rear end but it's not because they made the environment look nice

sucks to suck

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Your Computer posted:

I finally got the Bethesda.net site working and can confirm the beta seems to be for pre-orders only :(

:monocle:

So the beta is an early access release that may or may not involve a character wipe at some point.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Dandywalken posted:

Rideable mothman mounts please.

this person gets it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Catalyst-proof posted:

sucks to suck

the only part of this that has changed is the 'endless stretches of desert' part, which is a good change because that gets pretty loving same-y after 5 games of it

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Oh I didn't realize this game violated the sacred paragraph of inviolable Fallout Law.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m glad another game is bringing the wendigo to the spotlight. Wendigos own.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

I like canon, but if someone makes a game that might be interesting and has to do something that doesn't fit exactly in line with my vision of the continuity of the series, I still think it's worth giving it a chance instead of getting bent out of shape over it. This game's going to be a side project prequel anyway, so it's unlikely to have much influence on the series going forward. If the divergence from the True History of Fallout is too big for you, just don't play it.

Fallout has always made concessions with their games to focus on role-playing, tons of options in dialogue, and games that can be played many different ways by many different people. These concessions are things like graphics, the engine, bugs, and combat. This new game is going to rely entirely on all the poo poo they suck at. And the "let them try new things" argument is kind of silly since they didn't make their own fallout game for like 10 years, and the one they did release focused more on tacked on minecraft than it did on what made the series popular, and was more constraining and shallow than any other fallout game. It's fair to criticize the direction they're going with this, especially since it surely cut into the development of fallout 4 and its dlc.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m glad another game is bringing the wendigo to the spotlight. Wendigos own.

i hope smt5 comes out this year so i can say fallout 76 is only the second best post-apocalyptic game with mothman and wendigo of 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i want one of those giant sloth monsters as a mount too

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Iron Twinkie posted:

So the beta is an early access release that may or may not involve a character wipe at some point.

What? It's a beta. You'll probably only get to play during a short week or so window of testing.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Volkerball posted:

Fallout has always made concessions with their games to focus on role-playing, tons of options in dialogue, and games that can be played many different ways by many different people. These concessions are things like graphics, the engine, bugs, and combat. This new game is going to rely entirely on all the poo poo they suck at. And the "let them try new things" argument is kind of silly since they didn't make their own fallout game for like 10 years, and the one they did release focused more on tacked on minecraft than it did on what made the series popular, and was more constraining and shallow than any other fallout game. It's fair to criticize the direction they're going with this, especially since it surely cut into the development of fallout 4 and its dlc.

Why do you think it cut into the development of Fallout 4? It's been 3 years and apparently Fallout 76 is part-developed by an entirely separate studio. There were only 2 years between 3 and New Vegas and that worked out perfectly fine.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Catalyst-proof posted:

sucks to suck

maybe they thought if there was ever a nuclear war then large swathes of land in WV would survive

i didnt live in the 50s, i dont know what my thoughts on nuclear holocaust and the WV landscape would have been

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cargohills posted:

Why do you think it cut into the development of Fallout 4? It's been 3 years and apparently Fallout 76 is part-developed by an entirely separate studio. There were only 2 years between 3 and New Vegas and that worked out perfectly fine.

Because it's 4 times the size of 4 and there's probably a massive effort required to make something like that even feasible in multiplayer under the janky confines of bethesda tech.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

I have issues with it as a game, and would probably prefer for them to have put those resources toward something else too. I just think the environment looking too nice is a weird thing to be mad about given how many people have wanted that for years.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I’m totally on board with the idea of the mountains of West Virginia being lush, but, like, wouldn’t that sort of mean the people who were living there when the bombs dropped would be living there still. Wouldn’t other people who survived the bombs go to the place that wasn’t nuked.

“There’s literally nobody else and the vault dwellers all want to form tiny groups and kill each other” seems like literally the least interesting thing to do with the concept of a control vault in a location untouched by the bombs.

I really hope that bit about there being no NPCs is an exaggeration.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Reveilled posted:

I’m totally on board with the idea of the mountains of West Virginia being lush, but, like, wouldn’t that sort of mean the people who were living there when the bombs dropped would be living there still. Wouldn’t other people who survived the bombs go to the place that wasn’t nuked.

“There’s literally nobody else and the vault dwellers all want to form tiny groups and kill each other” seems like literally the least interesting thing to do with the concept of a control vault in a location untouched by the bombs.

I really hope that bit about there being no NPCs is an exaggeration.

Yeah, like there are ways they can get around the "we are the first humans out."

Could have mainly Ghouls in the world. Could have a bunch of quests of finding your fellow NPC Vault friends and helping them deal with issues they've run into. Could have quests built around building a small town, then finding and encouraging NPC Vault people to join it as Guards/Merchants/whatever. Could have a lot of quests about finding the other Vaults, then recruiting the people inside to your community as you basically start building East Coast Shady Sands.

Should be a lot of Ghouls still, since few would have gone feral.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

I have issues with it as a game, and would probably prefer for them to have put those resources toward something else too. I just think the environment looking too nice is a weird thing to be mad about given how many people have wanted that for years.

Yeah nerds gonna nerd tho.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Fallout 76 is probably going to be bad because hell is other people. They say you can play solo, but does that just mean you can get assaulted by roaming griefers all by yourself? Not to mention the experience is on a timer because it's run off a server and subject to disappear when it has run it's course.

I'm not mad they are trying something new, but they would have been wiser to shop out Obsidian for another New Vegas as a safety.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

NofrikinfuN posted:

Fallout 76 is probably going to be bad because hell is other people. They say you can play solo, but does that just mean you can get assaulted by roaming griefers all by yourself?

No, it definitely sounded like you can play entirely on your own, devoid of other players.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

It's like Bethesda specifically named that part of the map after this thread

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sinteres posted:

The reason people gave them crap about the barren wastelands thing is specifically because the games were set centuries after the war, but looked like it had been maybe twenty. Now this game is set twenty years after the war, but looks how it should centuries later.

Like a lot of other things people complain about in Bethesda's work, it's a surface level response where people would prefer some depth and thought.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rinkles posted:

No, it definitely sounded like you can play entirely on your own, devoid of other players.

todd said it's Always Online at one point

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the "its actually a prequel" is a cop out for not having a story imo.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Power armor edition already sold out?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

Yes, unfortunately, the two aren't contradictory.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the Fallout bibles for FO1/2 that got released back in the early aughts indicated a canon that was much less serious than what we currently have. people act like beth is making GBS threads on the FO lore, but FO1 was supposed to have a city of intelligent, mutant raccoons (it got cut due to time constraints). FO2 has a talking rad scorpion and an actual monty python skit all kinds of other wacky bullshit.

FO76 can be bad for a lot of reasons but acting like it's going to suck because of verisimilitude is dumb as hell.

One of the primary reasons I finished Fallout 1 at all is that Doctor Who dropped me a stealth boy.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I could make this work, though it sounds like content might be thin? Also, having bad internet means I get to introduce latency to my single player game, but them's the breaks.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

afkmacro posted:

Power armor edition already sold out?

are you kidding me

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

I think the wording was "entirely online" but yeah. Still doesn't rule out there being a single-player mode though, but I guess we'll see.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Make there be an instanced, single-player-only save file option or I ain't buying it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rinkles posted:

What? It's a beta. You'll probably only get to play during a short week or so window of testing.

Yeah, Bethesda would never let a beta go on long enough to actually fix bugs before release.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
You can play 'solo' like any other game created with multiplayer as its central loop. It won't be fun, but you can do it.

As far as I can tell from the videos, you're directed by the overseer (possibly some immortal AI in the vault?) to do quests in order to progress. I don't know how they plan on telling a story without actual NPCs to interact with, so it sounds like the solo experience will consist of mostly killing mutants, blowing things up, and going on scavenger hunts.

Since we're so far gone from the Black Isle/Obsidian 'good writing' incarnations, I kind of like the concept of nuking bits of the map to irradiate them and make them more fallout-y. I don't have friends to play games with though so it's unlikely I'll ever play this.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my guess is that it will require you to connect to their servers to play, but you can opt out of players in your game ala Dark Souls, etc.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rinkles posted:

I mean always-online and "Where every other human is reeeeeal man" doesn't paint an optimistic picture on that end, it does sound a bit more angled at "Oh yeah of course you can play solo (And get monkey stomped by everyone ganged up)" than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gaspy Conana posted:

I don't have friends

:same: