Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

unwantedplatypus posted:

Gold in old paradox was already just mana why do you people keep complaining about having new currencies

Because gold and money are concrete things that exist in the real world, while administrative power and gravitas are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fister Roboto posted:

Because gold and money are concrete things that exist in the real world, while administrative power and gravitas are not.

I always saw monarch points in EU4 as like, a representation of gathering the political will and human capital it takes to reform and make and enforce new laws. The things that gold doesn't really cover. That may be abstract, but it's a real consideration.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I'm 200% ok with monarch points. It's a clever little system.

Monarch points are a fine abstraction, although EU4 definitely suffers from having too many points/bars/etc that are tied into specific siloed systems. I think it's legitimate to be concerned if Imperator starts off with too many points/bars to fill

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Personally, I can't wait to complain about a significant lack of gravitas.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I think monarch points are perfectly acceptable abstractions of the time and effort necessary to draft laws or rules, push them through the administration/military hierarchy/diplomatic service and the necessary everyday wheeling and dealing to ensure they are applied. EU4 does suffer from having too many meters to fill up though.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

EU: Fantasy when

When someone does the mod.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think the issue with monarch points is also that it feels like they over-abstract things. Fortunately I feel like tech, coring and development not being concerns of MP basically fits with that; it always struck me as weird that your capital won't ever grow unless your king publicly decrees there's going to be more stuff produced here now, or how people discovering gunpowder (or whatever) relies on your king declaring it to be so. I guess maybe the latter could be conceived of as "this invention is adopted by the state", but still.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kaza42 posted:

Monarch points are a fine abstraction, although EU4 definitely suffers from having too many points/bars/etc that are tied into specific siloed systems. I think it's legitimate to be concerned if Imperator starts off with too many points/bars to fill

Deltasquid posted:

I think monarch points are perfectly acceptable abstractions of the time and effort necessary to draft laws or rules, push them through the administration/military hierarchy/diplomatic service and the necessary everyday wheeling and dealing to ensure they are applied. EU4 does suffer from having too many meters to fill up though.

Yeah, monarch points alone are totally fine with me, EU4 just kinda went off-the-rails adding new currency/points systems in every DLC that only tie in to one system and are neglected in every future DLC. The game would probably be better if they took a more holistic approach to DLC content. But then that would make the game way more impenetrable to new players once it's a couple years old and has a dozen DLCs, so it probably doesn't make business sense. I dunno what the solution is to that.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The problem with MP is that it pretty much solely depends on the quality of the individual ruler, and this doesn't fit the entire EU4 time period - poo poo kings matter alot earlier on, but by the 1700s and constitutional monarchies it's stupid you are still wholly reliant on the quality of your king. It sounds like Imperator is going to have your government type matter aswell, at least when it comes to the ideas matching them or something, which should help in this issue (Personal skills matter more in the roman era anyways.)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
True, there should have been more events/ways for development to happen on their own.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Prav posted:

so is the game gonna be in latin pidgin?

will they release an english translation?

e: oh it actually is in english in the screenshot. i was getting worried.

This would actually be pretty great. People complaining about Paradox games becoming too mainstream? Relase a game only in Latin and tell people who want to play it to learn Latin.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Gravitas and administrative capability of a state do exist in the real world. Human societies put a lot of stock in non-concrete things.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The problem with MP is that it pretty much solely depends on the quality of the individual ruler, and this doesn't fit the entire EU4 time period - poo poo kings matter alot earlier on, but by the 1700s and constitutional monarchies it's stupid you are still wholly reliant on the quality of your king. It sounds like Imperator is going to have your government type matter aswell, at least when it comes to the ideas matching them or something, which should help in this issue (Personal skills matter more in the roman era anyways.)

Yeah I think part of why people dislike it is also the mechanical impact of getting a lovely heir. Your progress just grinds to a halt. Sure you can make up for it a little bit with advisors, but the monarch themselves has far and away the largest impact and advisors are very expensive. Compare to CK2 where your character's stats are important for their demense, but the power of your realm as a whole tends doesn't change a lot between characters.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

when you abstract something as much as administrative monarch points i don't think calling them mana is really that unfair

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I hope there's lots of formable tags. Want to create magna grecia and stomp down the perfidious latins.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
It'd all be fine if we could spend MP to adjust sliders imo

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i do miss the sliders

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Just call it ruler time. Waking day has 16 hours, so you get 16 points a day, and you decide how many of those you spend yelling at whom and how many you spend waving at the crowds and how many you decide to spend giving huge dinners to whoever. Yelling at functionaries is admin, waving at crowds gives stability, and giving dinners is diplo. Depending on the dice rolls your ruler decides to spend half his day playing with toy soldiers and the other half drinking heavily with some cronies (+5 to corruption). That makes it feel a bit more immersive and could tie into a bit of a court life, as applicable. Spend two hours a day personally supervising that manufactory so the material doesn't get stolen, but then again you could probably stand to shore up the restive capital garrison's liking of you a bit. Whenever you feel like it you pause and reshuffle the schedule.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

if they didn't want people calling it mana, why did they label it mp?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Prav posted:

when you abstract something as much as administrative monarch points i don't think calling them mana is really that unfair

There are concepts irl like "administrative capacity" when talking about nation building efforts so... It's not like Paradox invented it.

EDIT: actually it would be funny if you could queue as many projects down the pipelines as you want up front and then you have to wait for your administration to push your reforms through the bottleneck of not enough time/personnel/money as you bleed monarch points

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 11, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

unwantedplatypus posted:

Gravitas and administrative capability of a state do exist in the real world. Human societies put a lot of stock in non-concrete things.

Oh, OK. How many admin points does Angela Merkel generate each month, then? Precise numbers, please.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Please remember to factor in the maluses from coalition government and bonuses from vassal states as well

Sorry, bonii and malii

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh, OK. How many admin points does Angela Merkel generate each month, then? Precise numbers, please.

4 op, modified by the coalition unity bar introduced in the "Bring down that wall" dlc

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

how many attack points does an Abrams have, to three decimal places

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
What is Germany's forcelimit

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

how many attack points does an Abrams have, to three decimal places

8 pips, but surprisingly low manevuer due to fuel ineffeciancy. I know the ui is obtuse but that parts pretty clear :rolleyes:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

What’s the supply limit in northern afghanistan

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's a well known fact that Teddy Roosevelt invented the airplane by yelling at some nameless scientists a lot.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

How much gold does a temple produce for the government in Germany?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Alchenar posted:

I would be very happy with a system that ditched cores entirely in favour of 'how many citizens/freemen/serfs do you have here?' That's basically what Cores represent and there's an interesting opportunity to do something new and different here.

Yeah this is one of those times where I literally just don't trust Johan to have learned from the failures of the past but here's hoping!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

It's a well known fact that Teddy Roosevelt invented the airplane by yelling at some nameless scientists a lot.

Wait are you telling me they’re making Victoria 3 and adding monarch points to it

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

It's a well known fact that Teddy Roosevelt invented the airplane by yelling at some nameless scientists scientist pops a lot.

Edited to make this thread suddenly love the concept.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

beep boop i am a computer i do not understand intangible abstractions generalized by a numeric value please assign values to intangible things so that i may run my humor applications at your expense

Jesus christ, you loving goons. Use your goddamn imaginations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

ExtraNoise posted:

i don't have one and am constantly disappointed by the fact that paradox games are not hardcore simulations

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

Wait are you telling me they’re making Victoria 3 and adding monarch points to it

Yes, the most important stat will be industrialitiveness, which you can spend to build factroys.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The joking around of mapping of Paradox concepts onto modern day things just makes me want to have a modern-day Paradox game. :(

EDIT: Or any GSG, really, where you get to play as a political party, and a big part of the gameplay involves horse-trading to pass legislation and create a coalition, with each party involved in negotiation rounds spending political power points to get concessions, HOI4-style. Parties, the basic unit of play, would arise dynamically from pops -- if enough pops in a region share the same ideals, a political party would spontaneously arise. Parties would get Political Power from pops, events, and leaders, and spend them to increase their share of the population, craft legislation, do diplomacy, recruit and promote leaders, and so on. Kind of an even mix of HOI4 and EU4 with a V2 pop system.

A man can dream... :allears:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 11, 2018

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

How much gold does a temple produce for the government in Germany?

None, it lowers the stability cost.

ExtraNoise posted:

beep boop i am a computer i do not understand intangible abstractions generalized by a numeric value please assign values to intangible things so that i may run my humor applications at your expense

The problem isn't abstracted concepts, the problem is having one resource that you for some reason spend on 5 entirely unrelated things.

E: vvvvv Democracy 3 was pretty good but IIRC way too easy so you just spiralled into more and more GDP while funding everything you wanted.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 11, 2018

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

EDIT: Or any GSG, really, where you get to play as a political party, and a big part of the gameplay involves horse-trading to pass legislation and create a coalition, with each party involved in negotiation rounds spending political power points to get concessions, HOI4-style. Parties, the basic unit of play, would arise dynamically from pops -- if enough pops in a region share the same ideals, a political party would spontaneously arise. Parties would get Political Power from pops, events, and leaders, and spend them to increase their share of the population, craft legislation, do diplomacy, recruit and promote leaders, and so on. Kind of an even mix of HOI4 and EU4 with a V2 pop system.

A man can dream... :allears:

I also want basically exactly this.

The Democracy series didn't quite scratch the itch.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GrossMurpel posted:

The problem isn't abstracted concepts, the problem is having one resource that you for some reason spend on 5 entirely unrelated things.
As long as they're all related to the resource you've created...

I'm not exactly sure what you're thinking of with entirely unrelated things here, can you give an example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

As long as they're all related to the resource you've created...

I'm not exactly sure what you're thinking of with entirely unrelated things here, can you give an example?

using for tech/policies/the-various-government-buttons makes sense but I guess mana for development doesn't, not really