Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

You can tell that DOOM is a good game because it's a 10 hour game with 10 minutes of cut-scenes and everyone complains about those 10 minutes all the time as if they are the worst thing in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

You can tell that DOOM is a good game because it's a 10 hour game with 10 minutes of cut-scenes and everyone complains about those 10 minutes all the time as if they are the worst thing in the game.

It's because they are. Everything else is basically perfect.

Except maybe for the annoying checklists of combat challenges that gave too good rewards to be ignored.
I really didn't like that part either.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I think I am one of the few people who appreciates just a small touch of story in my murder. True, I don't want a ton either - I think DOOM was about perfect with the amount it had - but I also don't want none at all. It's the little touches in there that help make the game so much more atmospheric. Like Doomguy hesitating to destroy VEGA and such.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Doom's framing device of a multinational corporation monetizing Hell to sell cheap energy was hilarious and I hope they do more with that concept in the next game.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

One thing I liked about Hayden was that he wasn't actually a generic evil greedy money-loving CEO stock character that's been done 20,000 times before.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Doom's framing device of a multinational corporation monetizing Hell to sell cheap energy was hilarious and I hope they do more with that concept in the next game.

I loved all the computer terminal stuff of "what to do in a demonic invasion/possession" stuff.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I kinda want for Hayden to be written as smart enough to eventually realize he hosed up and what a terrible idea his heel turn was just out of pure self-preservation instinct. Don't really care what happens after that, i just find the idea of a Doom villain with actual believable character while Doomguy remains the exact opposite hilarious

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, people nitpick the game locking you into a section for a minute at most and i hate unskippable cutscenes as much as the next guy, but the hilarious story context and how the doom marine interacted with it (mostly by smashing stuff) was one of my favorite tonal things in the game and i easily wasted 100 times as long trying to figure out a dumb jump looking for secrets or hidden levers that went nowhere.

They can keep all that stuff in for Et6rn6l 6 and just make it skippable in arcade modes or replays or really just in general. It's an easy win-win solution for everyone.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 11, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm so glad I was right to believe in the "hell on earth" remark way back when. :allears:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Deakul posted:

I'm so glad I was right to believe in the "hell on earth" remark way back when. :allears:

:same:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Jack Trades posted:

I hope that Re5ard will have less forced story, not more.

Doomslayer destroying stuff and demon statues talking about how much they're afraid of you are good.
Being locked in a room while a robot talks at you for way too long is not.

I wouldn't mind if the Doomslayer Prophecy Stones continued playing directly through your speakers when you walked away instead of their sound source being localized at the stones themselves, forcing you to stand still and listen to them.

That's like... one of the only things I'd want different about Retard 4 aside from skipable cutscenes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I kinda want for Hayden to be written as smart enough to eventually realize he hosed up and what a terrible idea his heel turn was just out of pure self-preservation instinct. Don't really care what happens after that, i just find the idea of a Doom villain with actual believable character while Doomguy remains the exact opposite hilarious

Yeah, people nitpick the game locking you into a section for a minute at most and i hate unskippable cutscenes as much as the next guy, but the hilarious story context and how the doom marine interacted with it (mostly by smashing stuff) was one of my favorite tonal things in the game and i easily wasted 100 times as long trying to figure out a dumb jump looking for secrets or hidden levers that went nowhere.

They can keep all that stuff in for Et6rn6l 6 and just make it skippable in arcade modes or replays or really just in general. It's an easy win-win solution for everyone.
Doom '16's tone was near perfect. Anyone who flips out about the tiny bit of well written exposition in the game should stick to WADS because they're never going to be pleased by anything modern.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Maybe if there's unskippable dialog scenes in the next game, the devs will do something cool like after the 1st playthrough, put some secret button or access tunnel in the area somewhere that takes you to some secret explorable place with a powerup at the end or something, which will take a talented player almost exactly as long to complete it as the exposition dump, giving good players something to do, that at the end will spit them out close to where they left off.

I think that would be more interesting than a Skip Cutscene button at least. Like how cool would it have been to find a grate in Samuel Hayden's office that led down a narrow and winding path of AC ducts and rock that rewarded you with a weapon or suit upgrade, and that dropped you to the other side of his office exit door.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 11, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
On the other hand I'm OK with the bad guys starting to exposit but freak out and go OK ok go away sheesh if you start firing your guns

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm cool with the unskippable exposition, but like others, not past the first time. For a game that encourages and expects multiple playthroughs of the same level it's an unfortunate oversight.

Edit: "unfortunate oversight". Jeez, look at this nerd in the DOOM thread. Just say they hosed up!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

exquisite tea posted:

I loved that there was no beating around the bush about it either, it was just straight up "we are mining Literally Hell for energy, if demons show up call security, have a good day".

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I imagine the scene where you first meet Olivia Pierce would've been received better if Doomguy just started bashing the gently caress out of the glass barrier when he sees her instead of just standing there.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Doomguy is mad because the demons made him watch a cutscene

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

toasterwarrior posted:

I imagine the scene where you first meet Olivia Pierce would've been received better if Doomguy just started bashing the gently caress out of the glass barrier when he sees her instead of just standing there.

Olivia starts monologueing, doomguy starts magdumping into the glass, she starts dumping exposition faster, cracks start appearing in the glass, she goes "gently caress ok fine I'll email it to you" and scrambles out of the room

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

Olivia starts monologueing, doomguy starts magdumping into the glass, she starts dumping exposition faster, cracks start appearing in the glass, she goes "gently caress ok fine I'll email it to you" and scrambles out of the room

I wonder how hard it would be to actually implement reactivity like this. Like, record multiple versions of the same dialogue, one calm and one panicked, and if you damage the glass enough, the game triggers the switch from one to the other.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
DO4M 2: H*CK ON DIRT

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/1006203109142495232

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Broose posted:

But "Eternal", that name gives me pause. Marketers don't give lovely names like that unless there is something not straight sequel about it.

Clearly you are not a Halo fan.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lobok posted:

I'm cool with the unskippable exposition, but like others, not past the first time. For a game that encourages and expects multiple playthroughs of the same level it's an unfortunate oversight.

Edit: "unfortunate oversight". Jeez, look at this nerd in the DOOM thread. Just say they hosed up!

Martin went out of his way to show the "I don't really care you trying to explain things" as demonstrated with doomguy shoving the terminal away in frustration.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Mick Gordon probably doesn't use tiles on his house floor; they're all effects pedals, so every time you take a step in his house. you hear a click from a pedal. You look down and you see a whole rainbow of these things just sticking out and you just can't walk around the house without shoes.

I'd pay good money to have a doorbell that rings to the E1M1 theme and a weight-activated tile under the WELCOME mat that makes the classic door-opening sound

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Rebuild of DOOM 1.0 You can (NOT) stand still during combat like a bitch.

This should be the thread title.

So hype for more Doom, hopefully they don't break what wasn't broken. I would pay full price for a single player expansion, keep all the same weapons and mechanics, add a few more demons and take my money already.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Indiana_Krom posted:

So hype for more Doom, hopefully they don't break what wasn't broken. I would pay full price for a single player expansion, keep all the same weapons and mechanics, add a few more demons and take my money already.

Doomnite: Battle Royale

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The new DOOM will focus on base building and emergent gameplay between other players

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I hope we see doomguy's buddy Vega in the sequel :unsmith:
If you recall in '16 he slams the upload dialog right as Vega self-destructs, opening the portal to Hell. I liked Vega precisely because he was barely utilized but his moments and dialog counted for a lot

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Indiana_Krom posted:

So, Doom 2?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm sure stay-behind-cover-til-the-fire-goes-away Archviles are gonna play real nicely with New-Doom's never-stop-moving-always-be-strafing

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Deakul posted:

The doubt wasn't that there would be a sequel, the doubt was whether it would be this Christmas

rage 2 looks neat and all but I wants my dooms 😡😡😡

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm expecting the Archvile here to be a reskin of the Summoner from DOOM '16, because that guy always seemed like he was there to replace the Archvile.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

I'm expecting the Archvile here to be a reskin of the Summoner from DOOM '16, because that guy always seemed like he was there to replace the Archvile.

There's room for both. They did put the barons of hell from both Doom 93 and Doom 3 in after all, and named them baron/knights separately as a compromise. The archvile is totally different to the summoner.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's room for both. They did put the barons of hell from both Doom 93 and Doom 3 in after all, and named them baron/knights separately as a compromise.
:psyduck:

They put in the Hell Knights from Doom 3, and the Barons from Doom 93 (+ the rest), only bigger. Hell Knights and Barons have been separate since the Knights were introduced in Doom 2.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:psyduck:

They put in the Hell Knights from Doom 3, and the Barons from Doom 93 (+ the rest), only bigger. Hell Knights and Barons have been separate since the Knights were introduced in Doom 2.

That's exactly what I'm saying, ya doofus. Hell knights and barons of hell are the same in Doom 93 just with one having a bigger health pool (and pink torso). The hell knight from Doom 93 and the hell knight from Doom 3 are both present even though technically they're supposed to be the same thing.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 11, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

When you think about it, $60 is a bargain for a new Mick Gordon album, and I’m hearing something about it including some free pack-in game?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying, ya doofus. Hell knights and barons of hell are the same in Doom 93 just with one having a bigger health pool (and pink torso). The hell knight from Doom 93 and the hell knight from Doom 3 are both present even though technically they're supposed to be the same thing.

oh lol

I still can't parse it that way for some reason but I believe you

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

I'm sure stay-behind-cover-til-the-fire-goes-away Archviles are gonna play real nicely with New-Doom's never-stop-moving-always-be-strafing

Instead of hitscan fire maybe they'll make it a very fast wall of flame or a geyser of flame that will open up under your feet (or where your feet were if you're moving fast enough).

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any good doom 3 designs except the knights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Mick Gordon probably doesn't use tiles on his house floor; they're all effects pedals, so every time you take a step in his house. you hear a click from a pedal. You look down and you see a whole rainbow of these things just sticking out and you just can't walk around the house without shoes.

Mick Gordon eats no food, he just ingests the detuned power chords that flow from his speaker walls

Grand Fromage posted:

I loved that there was no beating around the bush about it either, it was just straight up "we are mining Literally Hell for energy, if demons show up call security, have a good day".

WEAPONISING HELL, FOR A BETTER TOMORROW! :classiclol:

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 11, 2018