Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

much as it sucks, it's absolutely not

it's another checkmark on the giant list of "facebook is a mercenary intelligence agency" evidence that will get at best a non-apology from zuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yinlock posted:

it's another checkmark on the giant list of "facebook is a mercenary intelligence agency" evidence that will get at best a non-apology from zuck

all businesses are mercenary

it's literally the reason businesses exist

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I really hope that this causes some type of Lanyard-book triumphed by Peter Daou a la ReaganBook.

edit: of course that would require lanyards doing something.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
a mercenary's just a business soldier

a 'soldier of fortune' if you will

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Main Paineframe posted:

most intelligence agencies (officially) aren’t

yes I know that the cia actually runs drug cartels and child prostitution rings

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.c9553b7301b4

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mandoric posted:

According to CBS, they got confirmation from Clinton staffers.

And yeah, the story isn't that the Trump campaign had embedded account managers who liked them, that's normal in advertising on that scale. It's entirely that the Clinton campaign turned it down.

im sure all those extra tv ads they bought during The view in Texas media markets made up for it though

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
It's not so much that most intel agencies are mercenary but that they're run by people who think theirs and national interests are one and the same.

Pretty much any country with powerful intel agencies is like one step away from being run by them (and I guess you could make a case that the US, Russia and Pakistan are already there or nearly so)

The UK might be there if their intel agencies weren't like 33% moles, 33% inbred failsons, 33% inbred failson moles

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's that rappaport time again

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jazerus posted:

it's that rappaport time again

somewhere in a recently gentrified neighborhood of dc jonathan capehart bolts upright in a cold sweat

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Shear Modulus posted:

pretty sure its just that the guys running the clinton campaign's ads werent interested in spending money on services or consultants that werent themselves

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

nationalize Facebook, nationalize Twitter.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also yeah it's pretty clear that the clinton campaign assumed they'd win by default because trump so they just grifted as much money as possible

oops

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

you'll note that "assuming they will win 100% of the time" is the centrist sop even though it always makes them lose

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Gunshow Poophole posted:

much as it sucks, it's absolutely not

Oh, I didn't mean to say it was unexpected. "Wild" probably wasn't the best word there, yeah.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Yinlock posted:

Facebook is ISIS. Not the jihadi one, the Archer one.

Or, actually...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Main Paineframe posted:

if you have a big enough advertising budget, the social network companies will happily send you some staffers to advise you so you don't feel like you're wasting that ad money

given the sheer amount of money that gets spent on political advertising, I'm honestly not that shocked that they had specialized divisions just for politics

that said, Parscale is a tremendous bullshit-monger and I wouldn't believe a word he says without outside confirmation

Yeah, this doesn't surprise me at all or even bother me beyond the general issue with the use of my data (which bother me a lot). If you spend a bunch of money with a company they will do things like put people on site to walk you through how to get the most out of their tools.

Facebook entire business model is built on selling targeted ads. Of course they are gonna be nice to a campaign that is buying a bunch of targeted ads.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
who's ready for some insanely democratic elections in brazil!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/06/in-a-blow-to-e-voting-critics-brazil-suspends-use-of-all-paper-ballots/

(posting this in here because we've talked about ballots in the past)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

We should eliminate superdelegates entirely. Also delegates. The party clearly can no longer be trusted to decide on their own nominees. This goes for both parties. So now I will decide for you.

Also third parties are now illegal. YOUR 2020 MATCH-UP IS GILMORE VS LESSIG AND YOU WILL LIKE IT AND YOU WILL LOVE IT

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Phone posted:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/06/in-a-blow-to-e-voting-critics-brazil-suspends-use-of-all-paper-ballots/

quote:

In a blow to electronic-voting critics, Brazil’s Supreme Court has suspended the use of all paper ballots in this year's elections. The ruling means that only electronic ballot boxes will be used, and there will be no voter-verified paper trail that officials can use to check the accuracy of results.
electronic voting tabulation is bad enough, but lol

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Phone posted:

Didn't they put the leading Leftist/Liberal candidate in jail too with help from the US?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

axelord posted:

Didn't they put the leading Leftist/Liberal candidate in jail too with help from the US?

I thought that was just the Brazilian Brazilian chuds op

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

zeal posted:

ah i remember that scrum

it was during the bruce rappaport period right, when john lewis was wheeled out by the dems to cast aspersions on bernie's civil rights movement cred

Yeah that sounds about right.

It was right up there with the "where was Bernie when Hillary was trying to do health care reform in the 90s" in that is was easily blown up with easily obtainable photos of him standing right next to whoever said he wasn't there

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lord of Pie posted:

Yeah that sounds about right.

It was right up there with the "where was Bernie when Hillary was trying to do health care reform in the 90s" in that is was easily blown up with easily obtainable photos of him standing right next to whoever said he wasn't there

I'd forgotten about that but that was pretty amazing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
blue wave looking good

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1006176391514206208

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

thank god for reasonable Republicans, like john kasich

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

really queer Christmas posted:

This but unironically.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

succ

https://twitter.com/NickReisman/status/1006209114865889280

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

lmao she still sucks rear end

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

NO SHE IS AN AGENT OF BERNIE NOT A DEM

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

on the plus side maybe this will cause crowley to lose the franken truther vote

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

on the plus side maybe this will cause crowley to lose the franken truther vote

:lol:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

really queer Christmas posted:

indeed, what we need is Total Trump Control over social media

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1005769318469197825

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hahah... yes... yes!!!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

hahah... yes... yes!!!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

hahah... yes... yes!!!

so do we have a cc post insisting that this was completly normal?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao oh CC, CC where oh where could you be

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

LOCK HER THE gently caress UP GOD drat IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope they lock her up