Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I still get a little annoyed Kojima couldn’t be bothered to look into an encyclopedia and find out the difference between dominant and recessive genes any time I think about Metal Gear.

The dominant genes are the ones that would result in Big Boss' phenotype, the recessive genes would result in a different one.

So if Big Boss is the ideal soldier phenotype then yes dominant are better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

The dominant genes are the ones that would result in Big Boss' phenotype, the recessive genes would result in a different one.

So if Big Boss is the ideal soldier phenotype then yes dominant are better

Doesn’t solid snake, with his “inferior, recessive genes” have brown hair?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Doesn’t solid snake, with his “inferior, recessive genes” have brown hair?
Other way around. Liquid Snake had the recessive genes, which is what motivates him to kill Solid Snake and prove himself as the real heir to Big Boss.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Liquid is also dumb and wrong about everything to do with genetics, which I think is part of the point of his character.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The other part of the Les Enfantes Terribles project involves fertilising 8 eggs, then killing six of them to make an environment in which only the strong survive.

The genetics being bullshit is just kind of minor after that.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

You can't walk in front of the first person you meet in Vampyr and fail the feeding tutorial / story beat, and that sucks. Pun not intended, but I'll take it.

e: I feel like I need to finish Ground Zeros repeatedly before playing TPP. This is the irrationally irritating game things thread, right?

Polyseme has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Jun 10, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

Other way around. Liquid Snake had the recessive genes, which is what motivates him to kill Solid Snake and prove himself as the real heir to Big Boss.

It’s also a game series where a small bomb implanted inside a person downs a helicopter instead of leaving them messy and surprised, so I guess liberties will be taken.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, Solid actually was the "inferior" clone. The very end of the credits has Ocelot explaining that he was lying to Liquid the entire time, about Liquid being the "inferior" clone. "He believed himself to be the inferior one. .... The inferior clone won after all."

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

It’s also a game series where a small bomb implanted inside a person downs a helicopter instead of leaving them messy and surprised, so I guess liberties will be taken.

I feel like you could use an example out of any single random cutscene in the whole series to prove the point you're making.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
A man kills a tank with hand grenades by pitching one down the barrel so it detonates the loaded shell inside the barrel

A guy gets punched across a room and his feet make tire squealing sounds as he's sliding

A dude jumps on top of and then surfs a missile into a helicopter like a flying skateboard to kill said helicopter

The climactic fight between Solid Snake and Big Boss was Snake running away from shirtless old man Boss, finding an aerosol can, and using his cigarette lighter to burn the shirtless 60+ year old man to death.

I adore this stupid loving series

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Twin Snakes was especially amazing because they originally aimed for a total, faithful remake of the PSX-era cutscenes, but Kojima wanted stuff to be completely bonkers.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Safeword posted:

Twin Snakes was especially amazing because they originally aimed for a total, faithful remake of the PSX-era cutscenes, but Kojima wanted stuff to be completely bonkers.
I really need to play this. I also picked up the Substance and Subsistence versions on of MGS2 and 3 on PS2 and I'm looking forward to that.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
My only issue with Twin Snakes is some of the voice acting and music being less memorable - the former's a bit odd as it's all the original actors, something Snake's VA took a (apparently quite hefty) pay cut for.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They got rid of Meilings racist voice which means canonically her voice is racist as hell

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jukebox Hero posted:

A man kills a tank with hand grenades by pitching one down the barrel so it detonates the loaded shell inside the barrel

To be fair, people have done this. Maybe not the shell loaded in the breech, but the tank sure blows up good when all the propellant and shells go off.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
If you don’t immediately think it’s nighttime after hearing a single sound from an owl I don’t know how you function in the real world.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2 has a currency called iso 4, it is used for implants, upgrading implants and buying new ones (well... lootboxes with implants in them). There are 2 ways to get implants: Recycling duplicates at a rate of 25 iso per recycle (note, it costs 500 iso to buy a single implant lootbox), or winning alerts. If your faction starts the alert and manages to win the inevitable 2 on 1 smackdown you get 300 iso.

..... If you've been active on the alert from the start. I logged in and an alert was in progress, its been going on for 15 minutes, they last for 45. My reward for winning was 180 iso. Cool, why doesn't the system work off the score you generate instead of time so you aren't hosed for the crime of logging on at the wrong time?

Its so they can persuade you to buy implant lootboxes with cash, of course.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Safeword posted:

My only issue with Twin Snakes is some of the voice acting and music being less memorable - the former's a bit odd as it's all the original actors, something Snake's VA took a (apparently quite hefty) pay cut for.

Kojima hated the English localization for the original PSX release of MGS in America because it wasn't ~true to his vision~ which is why he demanded complete control over all the future ones. A lot of the stuff that made the original game so memorable were the result of the localizers doing their own thing, without that you get Twin Snakes being more flat and lacking the cartoon accents and silliness in the performances.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Olaf The Stout posted:

I feel like you could use an example out of any single random cutscene in the whole series to prove the point you're making.

A russian cowboy gets his arm cut off by a cybernetic ninja and later grafts a dead man's arm onto the stump then hypnotizes himself into believing he's possessed by the ghost of the now rotting arm, which has to be removed and replaced by a properly artificial one. He then spends the rest of the series pretending to be the clone brother of a much younger man and clone son of the soldier he fell in love with back in the cold war until the now rapidly aging clone beats the hypnotic suggestion out of him in what can only be described as a shirtless old man brawl to the death.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Arrath posted:

To be fair, people have done this. Maybe not the shell loaded in the breech, but the tank sure blows up good when all the propellant and shells go off.

but did they pitch it like a baseball in slow motion

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arrath posted:

Yeah, there’s tons of videos of that happening in Syria. The export version of the T72 has a really stupid ammo storage system.

Jukebox Hero posted:

but did they pitch it like a baseball in slow motion

Sadly no.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I still get a little annoyed Kojima couldnt be bothered to look into an encyclopedia and find out the difference between dominant and recessive genes any time I think about Metal Gear.

Liquid had it wrong. :colbert:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really need to play this. I also picked up the Substance and Subsistence versions on of MGS2 and 3 on PS2 and I'm looking forward to that.

It's incredible, I never played the original all the way through but it's extremely in line with the rest of the series tone wise

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nuebot posted:

A russian cowboy gets his arm cut off by a cybernetic ninja and later grafts a dead man's arm onto the stump then hypnotizes himself into believing he's possessed by the ghost of the now rotting arm, which has to be removed and replaced by a properly artificial one. He then spends the rest of the series pretending to be the clone brother of a much younger man and clone son of the soldier he fell in love with back in the cold war until the now rapidly aging clone beats the hypnotic suggestion out of him in what can only be described as a shirtless old man brawl to the death.

God I love Metal Gear’s very specific kind of insanity.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's incredible, I never played the original all the way through but it's extremely in line with the rest of the series tone wise

The number of people who hate The Twin Snakes with a visceral antipathy because it's "too goofy" is astounding, and they're all people who claim to love the series.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Inco posted:

The number of people who hate The Twin Snakes with a visceral antipathy because it's "too goofy" is astounding, and they're all people who claim to love the series.

Honestly i think its absolutely fair to prefer how the original plays its insanity straight. I thought twin snakes was a little too "winking at the audience" sometimes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The cutscene director, Ryuhei Kitamura, also directed Godzilla: Final Wars aka the greatest Godzilla movie ever.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Honestly i think its absolutely fair to prefer how the original plays its insanity straight. I thought twin snakes was a little too "winking at the audience" sometimes.

I haven't played Twin Snakes but I doubt it can be any more In Your Face than MGS 2 and 3

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While I love Hyrule Warriors, there is one major thing dragging the game down. When you fight boss monsters, you only do minimal damage to them unless you hit them with a specific subweapon during specific attacks, at which point they're stunned and you can attack them for more damage and to try to trigger the heavy damage animation. Aghoma has only a couple of attacks, and it tends to spam its eye laser so you can shoot it with the bow and manhandla hits like a tank but its heads can be stunned during more of its attacks, but King Dodongo can only be stunned when he inhales to shoot a fireball. And it seems to be completely random when he does it. He has several other attacks, and while you might think there was some relation between them, there isn't. He has no problem doing paw slams into roars into paw slams into rolling away into roar. It's just a slog fighting him, hes the first boss introduced so you see him more than the other bosses, and Adventure mode has a very early mission when you have to kill two of them in 10 minutes. Pray that the RNG gods smile upon you, because that's the only way you'll get a good time on that mission (yes, I am aware that magic stuns bosses, but it seems to be RNG if the mission spawns enemies that drop magic potion in that mission as well)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Randalor posted:

While I love Hyrule Warriors, there is one major thing dragging the game down. When you fight boss monsters, you only do minimal damage to them unless you hit them with a specific subweapon during specific attacks, at which point they're stunned and you can attack them for more damage and to try to trigger the heavy damage animation. Aghoma has only a couple of attacks, and it tends to spam its eye laser so you can shoot it with the bow and manhandla hits like a tank but its heads can be stunned during more of its attacks, but King Dodongo can only be stunned when he inhales to shoot a fireball. And it seems to be completely random when he does it. He has several other attacks, and while you might think there was some relation between them, there isn't. He has no problem doing paw slams into roars into paw slams into rolling away into roar. It's just a slog fighting him, hes the first boss introduced so you see him more than the other bosses, and Adventure mode has a very early mission when you have to kill two of them in 10 minutes. Pray that the RNG gods smile upon you, because that's the only way you'll get a good time on that mission (yes, I am aware that magic stuns bosses, but it seems to be RNG if the mission spawns enemies that drop magic potion in that mission as well)

You can bait his attack if you stay at a midrange distance from him
Manhandla is the absolute fucker who will just gently caress your poo poo up and is actually detrimental to fight with more than one character

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I haven't played Twin Snakes but I doubt it can be any more In Your Face than MGS 2 and 3

Compared to the rest of the games MGS1 is a realistic Tom Clancy novel.

Some of us prefer our crazy slightly less batshit.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Randalor posted:

Bosses are absolutely the worst thing about that game. All bosses. Enemy generals suck too - anytime you need to wait for an enemy to randomly do a thing just so you can damage it just sucks and should be torn out of every game. Especially in games where you get ranked on time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The MGS games, the ones I've played are utterly batshit and have a ton of things dragging them down.

I started with the PS2 era games and struggled with wonky controls and camera angles, long winded un-skippable cut scenes and a LOT of trial and error gameplay. I HATE trial and error gameplay. I've been loving around with the modern Wolfenstein, DOOM and Tomb Raider games and they all semi suffer from it to varying degrees.

I'm honestly afraid to try a new Metal Gear game based on what I read about them. I remember liking a lot about them but also recall poo poo like laying down on my belly for no reason, shooting of my really loud gun when I didn't want to and poo poo like that. Probably I just suck at video games but, while I'm at it...

Overly complex controls take me out of anything. A well designed game makes the control layout intuitive and second nature.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I don't remember any unskipable cutscenes in any Metal Gear game, maybe there are a very small amount across the whole franchise probably to mask load times.

Hell. With MGS4 they let you pause cutscenes.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I tried playing Twin Snakes twice now but I cannot control it for the life of my so I'm with you. The buttons make absolutely no sense to me.

I also tried The Best MGS (3) at a friend's but it also sucked because the camera never showed me what I wanted to see and I kept running into guys. Apparently later versions made the camera actually, you know, controllable but I still had a hard time getting Snake to do what I wanted so I don't think I'll ever try to replay it.

Maybe I'll get V in a sale at some point...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I’m really curious what you mean by “trial and error” gameplay. I can’t think of anything from MGS that’s like that except for maybe some of the boss fights.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dewgy posted:

I’m really curious what you mean by “trial and error” gameplay. I can’t think of anything from MGS that’s like that except for maybe some of the boss fights.

I'm assuming he means the stealth gameplay, which isn't really the case since you can just run and hide if necessary.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Or just shoot everyone in the face. I think there’s only one part in the entire series (ignoring post-game/mission rankings) where the amount of people you kill has any real effect on gameplay.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Veotax posted:

I don't remember any unskipable cutscenes in any Metal Gear game, maybe there are a very small amount across the whole franchise probably to mask load times.

Hell. With MGS4 they let you pause cutscenes.

I remember celebrating that. Id always need a bathroom break at the WORST times in mgs2/3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

I remember celebrating that. Id always need a bathroom break at the WORST times in mgs2/3
Had no idea Johnny Sasaki was a goon.

though, after MGS4, anyone might have guessed