Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
BeamtesterJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

canyoneer posted:

BeamtesterJ

:pusheen:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

bEatmstrJ posted:

That being said, unless my rudimentary understanding of science is completely flawed, if you want to put something in the ground, you have to dig a hole. As far as I know, there's no way around that. If, in the process of digging that hole I happen to break a gas line, well, that's a mistake that needs to be fixed. But alas, no gas lines were broken.

You dumbass, it's like knowing full well there are gas pipes there, getting warned there are gas pipes there, seeing that the gas pipes are an important structural part of the house, and cutting into them anyway without researching what you are looking at. You're dumb as gently caress. You're so far up yourself you can't see that. You're trying to justify it with slimy, sleazy salesman talk, you're too thick to see that your pitch is to yourself and you're selling the lie of competence. You're a case study for the dunning kruger effect.

Post the pics.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Rest assured, I had my friend Jeff come inspect the bathroom and he agreed it was Extremely Aesthetic and that I am gonna get so many females

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
while I admit I thought I could do it all myself until you all put me on blast, and while I wasn't planning on engaging the services of a loving structural engineer because I thought I knew what I was doing, I DID NOT MAKE A MISTAKE and that is the only important takeaway here. I am still a cool and good genius with a perfect bathroom for someday selling to theoretical females

:laffo: you prideful idiot

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
At this point I feel like this guy's some kind of troll. He's completely derailing this thread by just making a content-free post in it once a week or so. Can we talk about interior decorating instead of prideful morons, please?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I do like to define by mistakes by whether other people can go in and fix it for me. 'The joist would have had to have been cut for a sunken tub regardless" is actually a long way from "I cut my joists off with no concern for the structural damage, and then had to call in experts to do the job properly."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

“This is actually good for bitcoin my bathroom project because...”

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I'm moving next week and trying to decorate my house to some degree of "adult like." I got a bunch of prints but they're all wonky sizes and none of them fit into regular frames despite having white space on the borders to look as though they're matted. Better to buy bigger frames and mat them myself, or cut down the white space to fit them into a regular frame?

Also, is there any way to display things like peacock feathers in a vase without my cats chewing them up?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Labes for days posted:

Also, is there any way to display things like peacock feathers in a vase without my cats chewing them up?

Cover them with catnip. They hate that stuff.

citrus, maybe?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Labes for days posted:

I'm moving next week and trying to decorate my house to some degree of "adult like." I got a bunch of prints but they're all wonky sizes and none of them fit into regular frames despite having white space on the borders to look as though they're matted. Better to buy bigger frames and mat them myself, or cut down the white space to fit them into a regular frame?

So pre-made frames you buy are pretty much always for photos and have really standard dimensions that art doesn't follow at all. Another option is to hitup some thrift stores and see if they have art you can steal the frames from for your own prints. At the very least, gutting some grandma's lovingly preserved bible quote can give you an idea of how to mat if you've never done it before. Invest in a long, possibly grid ruler and a box-cutter with a pack of new blades.

As for whether to do it at all, that really comes down to how big you want the framed piece to end up which depends on how and where you're hanging it. The margins around your print are ideally there to give something for the mat to overlap, so cutting them down instead is fine if you want a smaller piece over all. But if you want something big you'll need to mat it out. Allow me to use this ridiculous piece of hotel art as an example.

When your ugly art is expensive, but matting isn't.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

there wolf posted:

When your ugly art is expensive, but matting isn't.

I think the real art is the lights. It makes a strong statement.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sorry the lighting is preventing you from enjoying the true beauty of Generic Hotel Abstract number one billion. (It's a really ugly painting. I think they matted it so large in the hopes it would distract from that.)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It’s always funny when someone asks me what piece of art they should put on their walls.

Like, I have a pretty broad understanding of and appreciation for art because I go to a lot of museums and took a minor in college, I can’t just give you “one art, please!”

Pick something important to you personally, or that speaks to you specifically. It’s your wall.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So I have 3 boob lights in my house that I finally moved into. One's in a hallway, one's in a converted attic/spare bedroom, and one's in a dining room. What can or should I put in their place? The dining room I'd probably want a smallish hanging pendant or whatever a dinner table lamp is called.

I like midcentury modern stuff, and this house hasn't been updated since it was built in the 50s so it might actually fit. All the plumbing is original, I had plumbers in to fix a lot of things and they were losing their minds.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It’s always funny when someone asks me what piece of art they should put on their walls.

Like, I have a pretty broad understanding of and appreciation for art because I go to a lot of museums and took a minor in college, I can’t just give you “one art, please!”

Pick something important to you personally, or that speaks to you specifically. It’s your wall.

I am unsure if this was directed at me, but if it was I'm asking for help framing art I've already purchased you dingus.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

there wolf posted:

I'm sorry the lighting is preventing you from enjoying the true beauty of Generic Hotel Abstract number one billion. (It's a really ugly painting. I think they matted it so large in the hopes it would distract from that.)

You misunderstand. I think it truly elevates it beyond the level of generic hotel art. Light that is used to illuminate and reveal instead hides. It shrouds it and protects. But does it protect us from the art or the art from us.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I trimmed a little bit of margin from a poster print to fit into a standard frame.
Weird sizes you have to go big, go custom, or hang as a bare canvas (if it's a canvas.)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I don't remember Peewee's Playhouse having a stairwell.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

It's like a 90's Taco Bell turned House of Leaves

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was feeling “mid-80s movie theatre lobby”, myself.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
i have wall art advice

it's important to have a theme!

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I love bats. :3

Once we move I will experiment with the suggestions but I'm sort of regretting getting the prints on paper and not canvas. A friend bought me a canvas print and that one I'm not worried about because I can just throw it up on the wall unlike the paper prints.

Either way, gonna invest in Dramatic Hotel Art mood lighting.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

kid sinister posted:

I don't remember Peewee's Playhouse having a stairwell.

This is fabulous and I will not hear otherwise.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
What if the intro to Saved by the Bell was a house?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Labes for days posted:

I love bats. :3

Once we move I will experiment with the suggestions but I'm sort of regretting getting the prints on paper and not canvas. A friend bought me a canvas print and that one I'm not worried about because I can just throw it up on the wall unlike the paper prints.

Either way, gonna invest in Dramatic Hotel Art mood lighting.

you can do a similar style with the paper print. Use some 2x1 lumber to make a frame, then staple/nail a piece of hardboard to the frame. cut the print to size with about 1/4in overhang. Laminate the whole thing down to the hardboard and then use a boarder tape or veneer trim on the exposed side edges. If you don't have access to laminate or a roller press a print shop should be able to do it cheap and quick.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Welp our bigass chalkboard (wallpaper) wall got oil pastel crayon'd. Iirc rubbing alcohol will help...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Labes for days posted:

I am unsure if this was directed at me, but if it was I'm asking for help framing art I've already purchased you dingus.

It wasn’t, it was directed to my neighbor, who 100% doesn’t post here!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm having trouble choosing doors. Here's the selection I'm currently looking at: https://deantawood.co.uk/interior-doors/products/?product_tag=fire-door&product_cat=white-primed

My instinct has me leaning towards the more traditional panelled versions to offset the more minimalist decor elsewhere, but I'm at a bit of a loose thread.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

bEatmstrJ posted:

Call it semantics if you want, but I'd like to clear something up.

Many of you are asking how the "mistake" was "fixed", or some variant. The short version is: there was no mistake to fix.

Now I will preface by saying that I was very naive in my understanding of joist physics and the potential dangers I imparted upon my home by cutting them. Although much of the feedback from this forum was not constructive in the least, I won't deny that without the concern of many of you, my project might have had a much less safe ending for me or my future home buyers. So for that, I thank you.

That being said, unless my rudimentary understanding of science is completely flawed, if you want to put something in the ground, you have to dig a hole. As far as I know, there's no way around that. If, in the process of digging that hole I happen to break a gas line, well, that's a mistake that needs to be fixed. But alas, no gas lines were broken.

My design called for a sunken bathtub and that's what I got. Whether it was me or the contractor, those joists were getting cut regardless, so really I just saved them some time (naively).

You can all rest assured that my design was executed appropriately by a licensed contractor, who worked with a structural engineer to develop a solution to fit my goal. The city inspector then came by and signed off on it.

The joists are still just as cut as they were a year ago.

how many females have used the epic sunken bathtub

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm having trouble choosing doors. Here's the selection I'm currently looking at: https://deantawood.co.uk/interior-doors/products/?product_tag=fire-door&product_cat=white-primed

My instinct has me leaning towards the more traditional panelled versions to offset the more minimalist decor elsewhere, but I'm at a bit of a loose thread.

If I had to pick between them, I'd go with the design of this one since its the most unusual. The rest are just boring generic doors every place has.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

The rest are just boring generic doors every place has.

It's true, but often the boring generic things are canvasses and contrasts for other aspects. I'm assuming you have white walls, for example.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bradzilla posted:

You drat well know the answer to this

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sorry, what's a boob light, I.e. in the thread title?

Is it a light in the home at boob level?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

These loving things:

The typical ubiquitous contractor-grade bargain basement light fixture that looks like the ceiling sprouted a glowing titty.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Horrible. Thankfully haven’t seen any in the UK. Yet.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What I want to know is, does it still count as a boob light if it doesn't have the nipple? My house has a few where the dome itself threads directly into the base. They honestly never bothered me.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's true, but often the boring generic things are canvasses and contrasts for other aspects. I'm assuming you have white walls, for example.

Yeah, but if you’re going with a patterned one, I’d do that.

Given all doors, I’d do a flat design.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What I want to know is, does it still count as a boob light if it doesn't have the nipple? My house has a few where the dome itself threads directly into the base. They honestly never bothered me.

No.

Sorry about you’re poverty lighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

bradzilla posted:

Lots of em. Like... five. Or nine. They’re from Canada though, you wouldn’t know them.