Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

freeasinbeer posted:

Found out my ex boss was lying about how much we spend on compute. We are spending 5x what what he was reporting. All so he could try and play with the big boys.

You should move all your stuff to the cloud I hear it's a lot cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Just got back from our office in Brisbane. No one from IT has been there in two years. It's an office of entirely engineers.

Yeah.

Of all of the loving nonsense I saw, my favorite was the fact that someone peeled the labels off of 8 of 10 cables running between the switch stack and the server racks.... I just... gently caress.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I work in a company with only engineers in it.

Somehow it works out?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I want to check something, but Windows Server 2016 can't be a NTP server without 3rd party software? We ran into a fun surprise this week replacing a DNS server that also did NTP duties and had to roll back. A coworker is more of a windows admin then I am, so I wanted to check if we aren't just huge idiots.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CitizenKain posted:

I want to check something, but Windows Server 2016 can't be a NTP server without 3rd party software? We ran into a fun surprise this week replacing a DNS server that also did NTP duties and had to roll back. A coworker is more of a windows admin then I am, so I wanted to check if we aren't just huge idiots.
Traditionally, Domain Controllers are the NTP servers.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

CitizenKain posted:

Your PDC should be the NTP server for the domain by default, there are things that can change that (vmware tools, hyper-v integrated time services) but otherwise domain joined machines should always look to the PDC. I am not sure if linux and other stuff can pull NTP from windows devices though, we have our PDC and any linux based device pull time from their router/firewall interface and those pull from external sources.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sales department is bitching that O365 is 'not user friendly' and delaying our migration.

LET'S JUST STICK WITH OFFICE 2010 FOREVER

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

Traditionally, Domain Controllers are the NTP servers.

Ok. These machines sit out on some DMZs and aren’t involved in the domain. Just surprising they didn’t have a service to do it. Good news is that means we can get some NTP appliances.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CitizenKain posted:

Ok. These machines sit out on some DMZs and aren’t involved in the domain. Just surprising they didn’t have a service to do it. Good news is that means we can get some NTP appliances.

I mean, your routers should be able to provide NTP. There really isn't a need for an NTP appliance unless you just want to spend money

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"I know I started three weeks ago, but nobody calls me Elizabeth, in fact I always hated being called Elizabeth. Can you change my email to say 'Liz'?"

Sure, it'll take up to a day or so for everything to update, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't change right away.

"My email is still esmith@company.com"

We didn't change the actual address. We just changed the display name. Same reason some people still have xmaidenename@company.com

"Well..."

Hey HR, what about asking people what they prefer to be called?

Also, instead of the sales manager putting the new employee ticket in, just some other random salesperson did. So the sales manager emails a helpdesk tech directly asking when she will be set up, and sales person #3 is emailing asking "Is she getting a desktop or laptop"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Why not change the address and include the old address as an alias? Is that not a super common practice when people get married / change their name?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Why not change the address and include the old address as an alias? Is that not a super common practice when people get married / change their name?

That's pretty normal but for some reason I want to say we can't re-name the mailbox so we have to create another one and migrate everything over, and most people are 'too busy' to let you do that.

O365 here we come....maybe.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

That's pretty normal but for some reason I want to say we can't re-name the mailbox so we have to create another one and migrate everything over, and most people are 'too busy' to let you do that.

O365 here we come....maybe.

If you're in exchange you should be fine. Exchange tracks the object with the hidden object ID, not by mailbox name / address. Unless you have some third party dependency that breaks?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If you're in exchange you should be fine. Exchange tracks the object with the hidden object ID, not by mailbox name / address. Unless you have some third party dependency that breaks?

It's Exchange but through Rackspace. We can add another email address, and even change the reply-to, but you can't change the actual username.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

Sales department is bitching that O365 is 'not user friendly' and delaying our migration.

The gently caress? We switched over late last year, there is zero noticable impact to the end user, except maybe for the day or so the actual migration happens.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

We just finished an Exchange 2010 to O365 migration - it was not pretty. Smooth for the end users, but so many problems... like existing calendar events on peoples calendars somehow disassociating from the originators calendar event, so the originator can't update it. Also lots of random folders/emails lost until accounts were re-migrated a half dozen times. Shares mailboxes are set so that sending as the shared mailbox puts the sent folder in YOUR sent items instead of the shared mailboxes sent items, unless you manually add the account via Outlook, even though you already have the mailbox in Outlook because of delegation...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've just about had it with the web and every single loving site wanting me to subscribe. Ublock doesn't have enough known rules to cut that poo poo out.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

CitizenKain posted:

We have a gsm network appliance that pulls in ntp time validated from the cell network. All internal infrastructure gets ntp off the internal dns address, including the pdc role holder.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've just about had it with the web and every single loving site wanting me to subscribe. Ublock doesn't have enough known rules to cut that poo poo out.

That and asking for my location.

gently caress you Washington journal you don't need to know where I'm reading from.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Try uMatrix. Forbid all javascript and cookies and a lot of stuff breaks but the text part is there 99% of the time. If you whitelist sites like imgur, youtube, and twitter you end up getting most of the content because pretty much no one hosts their own media anymore, they just link to social media.

That said, the delayed popup email boxes are the loving worst.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Whoever invented the feature where the content dims and a box appears asking you to subscribe just because you moved the mouse out of the window can loving die. Also whoever sprays offers to subscribe to notifications into the browser.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
We see you're using an adblocker! Here's how to whitelist us!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is why I browse with javascript disabled and only enable it for sites where the tradeoff is worth it. Gets rid of all those newsletter popups.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

We see you're using an adblocker! Here's how to whitelist us!

The best part is these ad blocker detectors all rely on javascript. Certainly no one will ever figure out how to circumvent that, nosiree.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I wonder, what got into the news websites to automatically play a video on their article page? Did they make studies that showed that people want video instead of text? In what universe would that be even true? I go to a website I want to read the article. The last thing in my mind is the desire to watch a lovely video.
But, since everyone is doing it, it must work somehow. Do they show adds in those videos? Anyone of you work for these monsters that can shed a light on the logic behind this idiotic idea?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dear Colleague,

We would like to hear how you feel about working at COMPANY NAME, and so we are conducting a workplace survey.

You will receive an email with a link to an online survey within the next week. Please take a few minutes to complete the survey and provide us with your feedback.

The survey is being conducted by Energage, an independent research company. To protect your confidentiality, Energage will not disclose your individual responses to COMPANY NAME. Furthermore, your department or group scores will only be disclosed if there are at least 5 survey takers in your group. However, please note that managers at COMPANY NAME may see the optional written comments on the final page of the survey. If you wish to make a comment please do not write anything that will identify you as an individual.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We get employee surveys every couple years and I never fill them out because I do not trust for a second that I am as anonymous as they claim I will be. If I do it at work all they need is my IP and can instantly figure out who said a lovely thing.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

xzzy posted:

We get employee surveys every couple years and I never fill them out because I do not trust for a second that I am as anonymous as they claim I will be. If I do it at work all they need is my IP and can instantly figure out who said a lovely thing.

I always fill them out and am brutally honest (when anonymity is promised) though I've never worked at a place where I was worried anyone was out to get me. I don't know what I'd do in that situation.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We had Gallup do a survey at the beginning of the year. I didn't have any issues with the survey itself, but the poor communication around the survey resulted in one of our subsidiaries having a significant phishing incident due to someone clicking on a survey related spam e-mail thinking it was the official survey.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

xzzy posted:

I was a couple steps removed from the analytics process in my last place of work, and the short version was that large departments had no issues with anonymity, but anyone in a team of fewer than 20 people could quickly identify who was disgruntled. Managers were discouraged from doing detective work but they sure did anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Alright, my company for some reason fell in love with the triple cubicle pod. I think they're a waste of space but they look cool or whatever.

We've been putting them everywhere. They tried to put them in IT but the closet they stuff us in is too small so I was able to talk them out of it.

Anyway, what was I about to start complaining about? Oh yea.

So we hired a new sales person to replace my buddy that left. Cool.

They hired two. He was such a great sales person they need two souls to replace him.

There are no more open seats in sales. I said, "Great, where is this person going to be sitting?"

"Oh, we are going to move one of the triple pods over to where the double pod is, since there's a triple pod in customer service that only two people are using."

(we put ONE double cubicle in, the rest are triple, because gently caress planning ahead)

I then ask, "So when does this person start?"

"July 2nd"

My dilemma: do I mention that we need an electrician to come out for this, or should I just wait?

Also, are they going to have the electricians come in on a Saturday to do this or just make those 5 people stand around like idiots while they swap everything? That would actually work out because I have two NeatPatches I want to install.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Angry Boss was really on a roll last week. He immediately had conflict with the new compliance person and when they escalated it to a C level meeting he allegedly told them she could make changes in his department over his dead body. Then, he had one of his meltdowns and screamed at Laid Back boss out on the floor in front of the owner and some visiting investors lol.

Anyway, he was walked out of the building this afternoon and the mood is demonstrably lighter, the birds are singing, etc etc.

Let's review his greatest hits:

quote:

After 6 weeks in the pod at my new job I came in this morning in the middle of my boss telling 4 of our subordinates that 'hurricanes may start natural but they are being intensified and aimed with secret technology controlled by a worldwide cabal bent on subjugating the last free people on the planet'

quote:

I arrived two minutes before the scheduled start of our department head meeting this morning at my new job to find they had started without me and were finishing up. After they broke up, my boss asks if 'we need to have this at a more loving convenient time for you, just let me know'

Last week they moved the location without telling me. I think I might need to start interviewing again, sigh.

He said, 'I didn't ask you what time it was, I asked if you need this loving thing scheduled later so you can loving make it'

quote:

Just got a text from him, 'Don't ever do X. We need to be doing Y. I told you we need to do Y, and never said we could do X.'

Motherfucker, they were doing X my first day here and this is the first time I ever heard about Y, you duplicitous poo poo.

He was a football coach for 15 years, I feel like that explains a lot. The dick.

quote:

This morning, rear end in a top hat boss caught laid back boss out on a simple and fairly inconsequential arithmetic error, called him a loving retard, slammed his laptop shut hard enough to make it jump, and then stormed out of the room, trying to slam a door that has a hydraulic arm

quote:

He kept a crew over late one day last week after I had left for the day to make x amount of substrate, and inexplicably, undocumented.

The crew made 1.2x, either on accident, or because he told them to make 1.2x. Who knows, they did it off the books.

Today, was instructed by laid back boss to use all of substrate x on project Y, so I had my people do so and we wound up with more Y than was originally scheduled but not more than we can easily sell.

Angry boss is angry that we made more Y than scheduled because he's an inflexible gently caress,and angry there was more x than needed because he's embarrased about getting caught off the books, and angry that I did not bring to his attention the discrepancy (off the books, mind you) earlier, which wouldn't have made a drat bit of difference in the first place; the answer would have been use it all anyway. Because he's a oval office.

So he sends a pissy email to me and ccs half the company including two of my direct reports, the bastard, directing me to essentially assume there are are always going to be mistakes and it's my responsibility to ensure they don't happen and heavily implying it was my fault we had the extra stuff (off the books!) in the first place.

quote:

Today, Angry Boss nearly spit out his dip, he wad do furious at me for not being psychic again, and knowing ahead of time that a machine was going to fault at 0708, because I should have been there when it happened to record the fault live. With a video camera that he keeps in his office.

quote:

He's got this major side project that is dirt simple, just a huge time sink. Today, I have some idle time on my machines and I offered to bring my labor over to help him out.

'If I wanted any help, I would have asked for it.'

quote:

My guy was insisting he was right and on the point of tears when I came up and Angry Boss was interrupting him with 'Bullshit!' every time he tried to speak. I told my guy he could leave and told Angry Boss that I saw the instructions and they confirmed my guy's story.

Bullshit!, he spat.

I took a deep breath, looked him straight in the eye and said 'I am not a liar.'

Bullshit!, he said again. I turned around and walked out. Texted Laid Back boss I was starting my long weekend early, told him why.

Later that evening i got an apology text from Angry Boss, but he couldn't help imply that it was still my fault because my guy didn't catch his guy's mistake (debatable)

Public insult and private apology? Man, gently caress that guy.

quote:

We've got a couple new employees working in the warehouse, one is a skinny little guy probably 19 or 20. Angry doesn't know their names and asked me where the new guy was right now. I said, which one, and Angry said, 'you know, that loving human being', and I frowned at him until he came up with, 'the younger one' and I told him where he was and Angry wandered off

quote:

This morning Angry Boss threatened 'to find someone who can loving read.' I mean, really.

quote:

Angry Boss is currently furious that I haven't submitted a staffing plan for the next five weeks yet.

He hasn't released what extra days are going to need covered yet and refuses to commit to a plan because he wants to be able to tell his boss, at the Tuesday meeting, no we aren't planning to work weekends to keep up, while simultaneously Lumberging everyone Friday afternoon when his boss is long gone for the weekend.

quote:

The owner of our company directed Angry Boss and Relaxed Boss to do whatever they could to get everyone out of here for a four day memorial day weekend. Angry Boss set up things such that everyone except me and my poor idiots will have the four day weekend. Why, we asked? You don't deserve one

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
So long rear end in a top hat. Hopefully he will not be returning to pick things up as they are the fuel for the fire at this evening's celebration.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

tactlessbastard posted:

Angry Boss was really on a roll last week. He immediately had conflict with the new compliance person and when they escalated it to a C level meeting he allegedly told them she could make changes in his department over his dead body. Then, he had one of his meltdowns and screamed at Laid Back boss out on the floor in front of the owner and some visiting investors lol.

Anyway, he was walked out of the building this afternoon and the mood is demonstrably lighter, the birds are singing, etc etc.

On a Monday no less! That's a nice beginning to the work week.

Content:

I have been doing Infrastructure (servers, DC stuff, VMWare, Storage, MS core services (AD, Exchange, DNS, O365 (its split right now... ) etc) for a small State University for the past two years as the only team member. In October we FINALLY got someone who is our ERP SME, and today I finally got an Engineer hired to work with me on all the MS core services stuff.

Currently, everything is coming up Milhouse.

Pissing me off though: digging out of this damned hole and transitioning to proactive from fire brigade. It's always an effort and everyone starts out pissed because nothing got done in a "timely" fashion over the past two years.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

Good riddance, he sounded unflushable!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How the gently caress does somebody like that end up staying employed for longer than a week

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

How the gently caress does somebody like that end up staying employed for longer than a week

He was old buddies with the freshly retired CEO. He also had a very strong monopoly on some vital operations information and thought he was irreplaceable. Owner disagreed once he took over day to day control when CEO retired.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Bob Morales posted:

My dilemma: do I mention that we need an electrician to come out for this, or should I just wait?

Also, are they going to have the electricians come in on a Saturday to do this or just make those 5 people stand around like idiots while they swap everything? That would actually work out because I have two NeatPatches I want to install.

How much do you want to make life easier for the people that are responsible for this shi... innovative office design?

If EASY: Explicitly call this requirement out in its own email. If this is ignored, you're covered.

If NOT EASY: Mention this requirement at the end of a long, semi-related email. When this is ignored, you're covered.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thanks Ants posted:

Never mind employed, how does that guy stay alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Alright, my company for some reason fell in love with the triple cubicle pod. I think they're a waste of space but they look cool or whatever.

We've been putting them everywhere. They tried to put them in IT but the closet they stuff us in is too small so I was able to talk them out of it.

Anyway, what was I about to start complaining about? Oh yea.

So we hired a new sales person to replace my buddy that left. Cool.

They hired two. He was such a great sales person they need two souls to replace him.

There are no more open seats in sales. I said, "Great, where is this person going to be sitting?"

"Oh, we are going to move one of the triple pods over to where the double pod is, since there's a triple pod in customer service that only two people are using."

(we put ONE double cubicle in, the rest are triple, because gently caress planning ahead)

I then ask, "So when does this person start?"

"July 2nd"

I had a triple cube for years and I hated every second. I bashed my knees constantly. I'm not even tall. It's that weird 45 angle cabinet on the side.