Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Ok, I declare bankruptcy with this thread. Did anyone cosign with a horse in the last 3 weeks?

Just one horse?

That doesn’t sound very stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm not horsing around here

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Sharpen your guillotines:

quote:

POOR making $140k / yr Between my husband and I, we gross $140k. Of course, this is substantially lower after insurance, retirement & taxes. However our take home is still $7200/month. But I WAS making $32k more annually. Then my company cut my title and salary. I’m having a difficult time adjusting. I’m $1300 in the hole before I even buy groceries or gas. What do I do? Sell our house ($1900/mo)? We would have to get it “sale ready” and have only been here 3 years so wouldn’t make much, if any. 2nd job until $1400k/month in credit card bills are paid off? Car is almost paid off($500/mo) owe $3500 Since we’ve been juggling since January on lesser salary- we are $100 overdrawn. Owe my grandmother $2k. I’m drowning.

Detailed income/expense

Income/take home - 7200

house-1900

car-510

truck-577

electric-500

gas-100

water-150

internet-115

cell-500

cable-75

hulu / netflix - 25

credit cards-1400

auto insurance-320

summer camp child - 580

student loan - 150

lawncare - 250

pool svc - 400

housekeeper - 240

marriage counseling - 600

vet meds - 100

Cancelling THIS week - pool / housekeeper / cable

will call regarding cell bill - it's too much

help.....

EDITED TO ADD:

credit #1 17.24% $21k credit #2 29.99% $11k credit #3 19.15% $4k credit #4 $5k credit #5 $5k

car interest rate 4%(?)

truck interest rate 3.75%

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How do people end up with these ridiculously high cell phone bills? Mine's been $45/month for years. I wouldn't even know where to look for a more expensive plan or what I would get out of it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How do people end up with these ridiculously high cell phone bills? Mine's been $45/month for years. I wouldn't even know where to look for a more expensive plan or what I would get out of it.

Is $45/mo including a device payment? Unlimited plan + financing a $1000 phone adds up to more than $100/mo easily.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Avoiding tariffs and import fees on animes and figurines is GWM.

The amount of money you save, relative to someone in the U.S. ordering the same items, is proportional to how much you spend. You can save hundreds of thousands of dollars a year if you scale up your anime purchases.
Pfft, the US doesn't have tariffs or fees on consumer stuff, and even if we did you can just tell the seller to put a low valuation on the box. In fact a lot of them will do it on their own. Shipping is what really bites you, it'll be $20-40 to get your $50 half-pound hunk of plastic inside of two months.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Is $45/mo including a device payment? Unlimited plan + financing a $1000 phone adds up to more than $100/mo easily.

Oh, no, I guess I hadn't thought of including the phone in the price. I've never bought a phone like that before.

OK, the next thing that bothers me is that you could buy two lawnmowers for the price of one month of their lawncare.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How many kids do they have? $7K seems like it should buy a lot of camp.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Even with just one kid, if they're in camp all summer that seems in-line with a full time away from home camp. Low even.

Not a good use of money though, considering their financial situation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My gun-obsessed friend who has ~10k in credit card debt from buying guns and accessories at record-high prices with the plan to resell them, who just spent 27k remodeling his kitchen and bathroom as a way to get rid of PMI by reassessing his house, and spent 3k on a giant gun safe to store the ~10k in guns he bought as investments just asked me if I could house sit for him in September.

He is not political or involved in politics at all, other than being in a local gun club that tells its members to attend votes at the state legislature or parades sometimes.

He needs me to house sit because he has a bunch of rare fish, an eel, and some turtles as pets and will be gone for 4 days.

Why?

Apparently, his gun club was recommending that everyone attend a rally in Washington D.C. on September 8th to support gun rights.

He - with no information about this event except that it is on the National Mall and for gun rights - booked four days at a hotel (didn't say exactly how much, but complained that it was "practically a thousand bucks."), took three days off of work, and bought a train ticket to D.C for September 6th.

All of that went on his new 0% APR credit card I helped him balance transfer some of his ~10k gun debt to.

I googled the rally he is going to and it doesn't seem to be an exclusively gun-related rally. It looks like a weird collection of about 15 different issues and the main theme is just "supporting Donald J. Trump in the 2020 election," but the rally is in 2018.

The website and speakers section seem pretty crazy.

https://motherofallrallies.com/

My friend seems to think it is an exclusively pro-gun rally and just dropped somewhere between $900 and $1,500 (plus PTO) because his gun club President said to do it - with no additional information at all.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Xenocides posted:

The best part is they originally posted to r/povertyfinance

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A different version of that (POOR at 140k post) was posted yesterday, and boy have her bills risen a lot since then!

Family of four, and her cell bill is for three phones, three iPads (most likely all on installment plans) and a hotspot.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jordan7hm posted:

Even with just one kid, if they're in camp all summer that seems in-line with a full time away from home camp. Low even.

Not a good use of money though, considering their financial situation.

Ah yeah, I was thinking of weekly in-town camps. Sleepaway could be more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

just asked me if I could house sit for him in September.

I have a GWM suggestion for you!

[Alaska] Petsitter rented out my house without my knowledge, police say I need to formally evict

quote:

Two months ago, I asked a friend (Petsitter) to petsit/housesit while I was out of state on business. We didn't have a written contract or agreement. Petsitter was and is not paying rent or utilities.

Everything was going well until last week, when Petsitter called to say he can't watch the pets anymore. I asked another friend to stop by my place to check on the pets and the house. She told me there were people in my house, none of them were Petsitter.

I called the police to check my house and remove the trespassers. The police told me the trespassers said they were tenants who had a verbal lease from Petsitter, and because the tenants had reason to believe they had tenants' rights, I had to formally evict them. The police said they couldn't do anything to help me.

A day or two later, I called the police again, and they went to my house. The police again said that the trespassers claimed to have a lease from Petsitter and to have been living there about a month, which meant they had tenants rights and the police couldn't do anything because I would need to go through formal eviction proceedings.

I've read the Alaska Landlord Tenant Act, and I'm not sure whether Petsitter qualifies as a tenant. However, § 34.03.060 says a tenant "may not sublet... without the landlord's consent." Does this mean that the trespassers cannot have tenants rights because Petsitter did not have my consent to sublet?

Can strangers really get tenants' rights even if they moved into my house without my permission or knowledge? Do I need to go through formal eviction proceedings, or can I have the trespassers removed for trespassing? If necessary, how do I go through formal eviction proceedings from thousands of miles away?

TLDR: Petsitter, who was not a tenant, supposedly sub-leased my house to trespassers (edit: about a month ago) without my knowledge or permission. Police say they can't help and I need to go through formal eviction proceedings, even though I'm thousands of miles away. Help!

Thank you.
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/8qaqkr/alaska_petsitter_rented_out_my_house_without_my/

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I imagine friend (Petsitter) isn't a friend any more.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Xenocides posted:

marriage counseling - 600

Looks like someone took advice from r/relationships.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CornHolio posted:

I imagine friend (Petsitter) isn't a friend any more.

I'm the Petsitter and we still are.

He's a good guy, but he just doesn't bother to learn about anything except for his direct interests and then gets 1,000% into them.

His parents own a huge regional business (the name of the business is literally "[His last name]'s") and he is having "money problems" because his parents demoted him to a position where he is making ~65k instead of the ~115k he was making before, so I am not too worried about him becoming homeless.

He's been working for his parents for about 14 years and they are going to retire soon. They are pretty much trying to kick his rear end into being responsible by "cutting him off" with a smaller salary and less responsibility because they don't think he can run the business.

His younger brother is going to get control of the business unless he learns how to run it independently. But, like I said before, he picks 5 or 6 hobbies and gets 1,000% into them and tries to not absorb any information about anything else in the world.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If you're rich and dumb companies are more than happy to upsell you all the way to the moon.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'm the Petsitter and we still are.
I know your friend is BWM but running a rental scam through his house seems a little harsh.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ashcans posted:

I know your friend is BWM but running a rental scam through his house seems a little harsh.

Oops, didn't realize he was responding to the Reddit post.

I wonder how much I could make in 4 days....

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Its the phones now a days that make it really add up.

4 people on unlimited data is either $160 a month or $200. But keep in mind , that’s with autopay. Most people won’t do autopay, so it’s really $180 to $220.

Insurance is $40 to cover 4 people. So now we are at $220 or $260.

iPhone 8 is $29 a month. iPhone X is $42 a month. Times 4 people is $120 to $160. So now we are at $340 up to $420.

iPads are $20 a month to add a line. And if you want the pro, you can finance that for only $30 a month. So $50 a month per iPad purchased.

Apple Watch is $10 a month, and it’s only $69 for 6 months to pay off the watch.

Honestly, most bills aren’t that high (but also def not as low as BFC would recommend). It’s usually $150-200 for 2 people, $300-350 for 4 as ball park averages that I see. Including phone payment plans. More people say no to iPads than yes. But yeah, it can be pretty easy to be upsold to a high bill pretty fast , either up front, or with add ins over a 1 year period.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My cousin complained to me her phone bill was too high at $60/mo. I asked her what service she was getting at that price and what her actual usage was. She said she didn't have time or desire to figure any of that out, just that it was too much.

So then I told her you are paying exactly how much you should be paying.

She agreed.

That's why people end up paying how much they do.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Magissima posted:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17283119

"I started a company in a foreign country and put all of my money into it and I haven't done any business and I want to kill myself." I especially like "how do I avoid getting into scrapes like this in the future?"
Fifty thousand dollars USD to start a company and not even file the documents?! Not to mention he apparently can't program well enough to keep a job, or sell himself well enough to get clients... Jesus...

Inept posted:

Same person:

Sounds like they should have spent money on therapy and Japanese language lessons instead. In other posts it's apparent they don't know much/any Japanese. I'm not sure why they wanted to stay in Japan so badly if they didn't bother to learn the language for 7 years.
In-sane... Back when I was a highschool level programmer, I could have written that for him... Sigh... Is this a Russian sponsored event? With a name like MOAR, it seems like it...

Lockback posted:

I have a GWM suggestion for you!

[Alaska] Petsitter rented out my house without my knowledge, police say I need to formally evict

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/8qaqkr/alaska_petsitter_rented_out_my_house_without_my/
Holy trainwreck.

Mantle posted:

My cousin complained to me her phone bill was too high at $60/mo. I asked her what service she was getting at that price and what her actual usage was. She said she didn't have time or desire to figure any of that out, just that it was too much.

So then I told her you are paying exactly how much you should be paying.

She agreed.

That's why people end up paying how much they do.
Well said.

Content!

Car salesman altered down payment/car price to get me a better interest rate through a credit union. Did I get screwed?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8qdsqb/car_salesman_altered_down_paymentcar_price_to_get/

quote:

Hey Reddit! I am a first time car buyer so please be easy on me if the answer is totally obvious.

I am 20 years old and make roughly $4.5k per month, have one line of credit open, and a credit score of 765. I went through a family friend who is a car salesman (we'll call him Josh) to buy a used 2015 Nissan Altima. The listed price was $14,494. In order to get the best interest rate, Josh sent my application to several banks. I told him I wanted to put $2,000 down and have my monthly payments not exceed $250. The credit union that ended up approving me for a loan approved me for a 3.99% interest rate, however Josh altered a couple things on the application. He put my down payment down as $3,000, and the price of the car as $15,972 (which also included an extended warranty on the car). The day I bought the car, I still only put $2,000 down,. The credit union that accepted my application approved me for the 3.99% interest rate, making my monthly payments exactly $249. My confusion is how the altered amount for the down payment/car price on the application might affect me. My loan balance is $15,972.93 with my first payment due in July. Did something happen under my nose that added another $1,500 onto the price of the car or am I just overthinking it? Thanks in advance for any help!

quote:

I did ask for the warranty, however I was not told that it would be added to the original principal of the car.

quote:

So on the contract it says:

APR: 3.99% Finance Charge: 2,041.92 Amount Financed: 15,951.60 Total of Payments: 17,993.52 Total Sale price: 20,993.52

72 payments of $249.91

Cash price: 15,200.00
Sales tax: 1,223.60
Vehicle Service Contract (Term): 1,905.00
Dealer Documentary Fee: 369.00
Cash Down Payment: 3,000.00
Unpaid Balance of Cash Sales Price: 15,951.60

Those are all the numbers on the contract. Is anything fishy? Remember, in reality I only put $2,000 down.
Is reading really that hard?! $15,200 is a fair bit higher than $14,494...plus a $1,905 extended warranty....lulz

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 12, 2018

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
How about this BWM:

On AUD$120k/year (at least) post doctoral researcher/clinician sending a mass email to other highly paid researchers asking a simple googleable question ("adobe text edit tool bar"). They even posted a screen shot with the toolbar button visible in hot pink "Edit PDF" but they couldn't see it.

I replied with a direct answer, but someone thought a loving tutorial was needed to find and use the editing tools.

An email just came through, that wasn't their problem, it's actually something else but they were too dumb to articulate. The new screenshot has the toolbar open, but supposedly they need something else.

jfc

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 12, 2018

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Inept posted:

Same person:

Sounds like they should have spent money on therapy and Japanese language lessons instead. In other posts it's apparent they don't know much/any Japanese. I'm not sure why they wanted to stay in Japan so badly if they didn't bother to learn the language for 7 years.

quote:

I have honestly thought about suicide

Sounds like he's assimilating quite well.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
That horse TLDR gif is just phenomenal.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Tag yourself: I'm the $500 a month on electricity.

Here's a hint, RUN YOUR CEILING FANS, OPEN YOUR WINDOWS AT NIGHT AND TURN DOWN YOUR GODDAMN AC.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

Fifty thousand dollars USD to start a company and not even file the documents?! Not to mention he apparently can't program well enough to keep a job, or sell himself well enough to get clients... Jesus...

Wait til he finds out that Japanese corporations owe a minimum tax just for existing, regardless of profit or activity level. His 5 million yen will slowly evaporate to tax and compliance costs.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Tag yourself: I'm the $500 a month on electricity.

Here's a hint, RUN YOUR CEILING FANS, OPEN YOUR WINDOWS AT NIGHT AND TURN DOWN YOUR GODDAMN AC.
They have to be running a grow operation. I'm not even sure my parents' massive old dutch colonial with like a zillion square feet required that high of an electric bill.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Hoodwinker posted:

They have to be running a grow operation. I'm not even sure my parents' massive old dutch colonial with like a zillion square feet required that high of an electric bill.

There's a real disconnect between a $1900 mortgage and $500 a month in electricity but maybe it's like a 4500 square foot mansion from the 1880's?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

sale on Banksy art posted:

Wait til he finds out that Japanese corporations owe a minimum tax just for existing, regardless of profit or activity level. His 5 million yen will slowly evaporate to tax and compliance costs.
I am not clear on if he actually exists as a business...

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

quote:

I thought maybe I would have better luck starting my own company so I paid an judicial scrivener to incorporate a company and I invested all my savings into it. Another reason for starting the company was to allow me to extend my visa.

This means the corp definitely exists to the tax office and it owes taxes. And if it doesn't pay taxes, he's going to have trouble with that visa sponsorship part.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

There's a real disconnect between a $1900 mortgage and $500 a month in electricity but maybe it's like a 4500 square foot mansion from the 1880's?

Maybe they signed up for a predatory electric supplier for an into rate and are now paying 3x par.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
I'm the lawn, pool, and housecleaning that somehow costs almost half the mortgage.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You can absolutely run an electric bill that high if you're leaving your AC set to the mid 60s and you live somewhere warm, and those people exist.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

$500 in Anime/Netflix and $500 for "decent clothes," because you can't wear your polo shirts and jeans to community college.

quote:

Hi, so I really need some advice going forward. For the last 4 years, I been working at my father’s business while going to school part time at my local community college for computer science. I been working everyday since graduating high school, and the business lately has taken off.

I saved almost all of my earnings, and I been putting it in my savings account. I have no debt, and I have a new car that is paid off. (A bit of a mistake there, but I’m going to keep my car until the wheels fall off)

I plan on enrolling in the fall for community college, and I want to go full time, and stop working. I have no intentions of continuing to work at the family business because the hours are long, and the work is very stressful. My parents are ok with my living at home while I go to school and they will not be charging my any rent or any expenses. They will pay for the insurance for my car, and I will need to pay for the gas, registration, and oil changes.

I calculated the expenses for a year.

Tuition 3,000$

Books and supplies 1,000$

Subscriptions for Anime/Netflix/Music 500$

Oil Changes 80$

Vehicle Registration 400$ (Newer cars have very expensive registration)

3,000$ for food and a little bit of spending money. (I can try eating from home, or bring a lunch).

My phone is paid for, so I don’t need to worry about that.

For about a total of 8K or so.

I want to go to community college for about a year, and transfer to my state university. The state university I want to go has a great transfer scholarship that will cover my tuition, and I would like to commute to the university. My parents are ok with my living with them until I finish school. If I go with the same budget, I would need to pay out of pocket 5,000$ a year until I graduate. So my question is, should I try investing about half of what I have and keep the rest liquid? I don’t have any idea what do with my money, and I really want to make the best of what I can do with the money I have. I would really appreciate all the advice.

I do want to spend some money on some clothes because my closet only consists of polo shirts, and jeans. Do you think spending 400$-500$ on some decent clothing too much?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8f555t/22_years_old_and_have_about_125k_in_my_savings/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 12, 2018

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

$500 is not totally out of line for that. I pay $10 for Spotify, $14 for Netflix, and $10 for Prime. That’s a little over $400 and I don’t think it’s terrible. It just seems big when you add it up.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My friend seems to think it is an exclusively pro-gun rally and just dropped somewhere between $900 and $1,500 (plus PTO) because his gun club President said to do it - with no additional information at all.

Well I guess this solves the mystery of how the NRA is so effective

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

$500 in Anime/Netflix and $500 for "decent clothes," because you can't wear your polo shirts and jeans to community college.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8f555t/22_years_old_and_have_about_125k_in_my_savings/

This kid's actually budgeting out a year of expenses and the question he is asking is if he can afford a few hundred for clothing over the course of the year. After taking 4 years to do two years off work at the community college because he wad working and getting a scholarship. He had been saving most of his income in anticipation of going to college full time.

Kid is GWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

therobit posted:

This kid's actually budgeting out a year of expenses and the question he is asking is if he can afford a few hundred for clothing over the course of the year. After taking 4 years to do two years off work at the community college because he wad working and getting a scholarship. He had been saving most of his income in anticipation of going to college full time.

Kid is GWM.

Yeah what the hell is this guy doing in /r/personalfinance?

I'm concerned that his $3k for "food and spending money" is too broad (and not enough) and $1000 won't cover "books and supplies" but his (?) head is in the right place.

Also lmao at this dipshit

quote:

[–]Uniquehorn01 -2 points 1 month ago
1) look for books online in pdf format. Those are easier to study anyway 2) Forget about spending money on Netflix, and Anime. Come on, are you a serious student or are you just playing around? Part of going to school is to learn discipline and to be mature not goof around. 3) For clothes, put together a few outfits. You can easily find new with tags clothes at Goodwill. Get a couple suit coats.

You didn't say what your field of study was or the area of the country. How is it you have a 'new' car? I rode a bicycle around campus and walked. This is a key time in your life not a time to pamper yourself which it appears you are determined to do. Also if you are 18 you should be paying your parents a modest rent to live with them. Remember responsibility is part of maturing. Good luck!

gently caress off, guy. "you've saved up six figures, immediately start lighting it on fire by giving it to your parents. end everything you enjoy. things were much harder for me."