Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lock Her Up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
LOCK HER UP

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lock her up

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

LOCK

HER

UP

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lock :clap: Her :clap: Up :clap:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

the best course of action here would be to lock up former secretary of state Hillary Clinton

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
🔒🙎⬆️

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Up lock

Her

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
locker up

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Agean90 posted:

so do we have a cc post insisting that this was completly normal?
sorry but all of these tens of millions of dollars of ads directing users straight to the hillary clinton campaign website were clearly not for electioneering during the primaries and were meant as joint fundraising initiatives for the eventual dnc nominee and there is nothing wrong with the pritzkers alone cutting a $1.5 million check to hillary during the primary for these ads

http://www.p2016.org/blogads/digitaladsclinton.html

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/hillaryclinton/status/631538115514007553?lang=en

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hahahha remember when this was the last line of defense from an insane billionaire game show rapist becoming president

B B
Dec 1, 2005

speaking of franken

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/1006221348744646656

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/1006222494917971968

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

zeal posted:

ah i remember that scrum

it was during the bruce rappaport period right, when john lewis was wheeled out by the dems to cast aspersions on bernie's civil rights movement cred

I think the thing that disgusts me about that whole "dynamic" (with liberals condemning the left for things like this) is that these people are all free to blindly hold to these morals (like "you absolutely can't disagree with John Lewis" in this case, or stuff like "how dare you condemn the ACA, what about the people it helped?!") because they're already extremely privileged and have no personal stake in whether actual material progress is made. Because they face zero pressure personally, they're free to construct this moral framework that allows them to comfortably feel good about themselves and feel righteous outrage towards others.

There's something about the hypocrisy of a bunch of people with cushy, high-paying jobs trying to act like they have the moral high ground from a left-leaning perspective that is absolutely infuriating. With conservatives, they're lovely people but at least they explicitly disagree with your ideology and goals. My personal theory is that this sort of liberal has a similar issue to conservatives who complain about being persecuted; they have to imagine the left as a bunch of privileged white IT workers, because the reality that they're actually the privileged ones in this situation doesn't fit with their worldview.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it's a fundamental lack of imagination, endless sneering, and an absolute disdain for anyone and everyone else while insisting that it's even a privilege to be talked down to if you actually think about it

some might call it... the politics of spite

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lock her the gently caress up

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

There's something about the hypocrisy of a bunch of people with cushy, high-paying jobs trying to act like they have the moral high ground from a left-leaning perspective that is absolutely infuriating. With conservatives, they're lovely people but at least they explicitly disagree with your ideology and goals.

quote:

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Pu reh kcol

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I think the thing that disgusts me about that whole "dynamic" (with liberals condemning the left for things like this) is that these people are all free to blindly hold to these morals (like "you absolutely can't disagree with John Lewis" in this case, or stuff like "how dare you condemn the ACA, what about the people it helped?!") because they're already extremely privileged and have no personal stake in whether actual material progress is made. Because they face zero pressure personally, they're free to construct this moral framework that allows them to comfortably feel good about themselves and feel righteous outrage towards others.

There's something about the hypocrisy of a bunch of people with cushy, high-paying jobs trying to act like they have the moral high ground from a left-leaning perspective that is absolutely infuriating. With conservatives, they're lovely people but at least they explicitly disagree with your ideology and goals. My personal theory is that this sort of liberal has a similar issue to conservatives who complain about being persecuted; they have to imagine the left as a bunch of privileged white IT workers, because the reality that they're actually the privileged ones in this situation doesn't fit with their worldview.

One of my centrist friends was dumbfounded that I refused to vote for Tim Kaine in November--even after I explained that my parents lost their house during the recession and I couldn't bring myself to vote for Kaine after he stabbed multiple of his Democratic colleagues in the back in order to deregulate banks (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/senate-democrats-banking-fight_us_5b188c89e4b09578259ed910).

He immediately went into his performative wokeness schtick to accuse me of turning my back on immigrants, letting Republicans take health care away from poor people, etc.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I'm gonna need poster Mitt Romney to weigh in on this.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its a pro-trump pac filing the lawsuit

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I may be assuming we live in a just world, which is a misguided and wrong hope, but drat do I hope that liberals will get the reckoning that they deserve

What's more likely is that they'll see crisis or failure and just go full fash

Scratch a liberal, and a fascist bleeds

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

hey if they wanna help is out by accident im down with it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also that voter roll thing is kind of the final nail in the democratic coffin. it was nice knowing you all.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

also that voter roll thing is kind of the final nail in the democratic coffin. it was nice knowing you all.

We are all gonna die and it'll be because of dem negligence

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

hahah... yes... yes!!!

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

academy award-winning film The Her Locker

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ytlaya posted:

From my experience you won't make any progress against people who aren't already leftists with this argument, because they will require actual proof that the language in question translates to opposition to single-payer (or proof that there's no genuine desire to transition from a public option to single-payer). The fact that such proof is impossible without some recording of the politician saying "by the way, by access I definitely mean not-single payer!" is irrelevant to them.

What about noted worst candidate in history explicitly saying that "Single Payer will never happen?" Does that count?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lord of Pie posted:

I called John Lewis an establishment dem in one of the old bernie threads and hoo boy did that bring out the succ

Lol same, that was great.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1006164905639268352

quote:

“In the summer of 1992, I felt like a rock star,” McFaul boasts. To extend this metaphor, Russia over the next few years resembled Altamont. McFaul acknowledges his team’s failure to secure democracy, noting Yeltsin’s authoritarian strain and self-destructive personal habits, the rise of a corrupt oligarchy, and the growing appeal of far-right nationalism. But McFaul more or less shrugs off the vast scale of human suffering caused by the firesale privatization of Russia’s economy, which he reduces to a few bland sentences about inflation and deficits. “Intellectually, I tended to side with the shock therapists” who blamed privatization for not being audacious enough, “But Russians blamed the guy at the top, Boris Yeltsin.”

Funny how that happens! And funny how Yeltsin, despite his deep unpopularity, somehow won reelection in 1996. At the time McFaul was teaching at Stanford and working part-time at the Carnegie Moscow Center, where he felt the need to insist that he was not a CIA operative to Russians who assumed otherwise. Their suspicions were not exactly allayed by his open support of the Clinton administration’s efforts to secure Yeltsin’s victory—though on balance, there’s no real cause to doubt McFaul on this point. To judge by Hot Peace, he has always been a guileless booster of American-style democracy as the global panacea of first resort—The Loud American, if you will.

Indeed, throughout the book, McFaul constantly shrugs off the KGB (rebranded the FSB in post-Soviet Russia) and the CIA as fringe players at every juncture in U.S.-Russia relations. He is forever convinced that he is an earnest democrat engaging with other earnest democrats—and forever perplexed that anyone might see any nefarious U.S. agenda behind any of his work. There’s no reason to doubt his sincerity. Judging by his high-frequency Twitter account (@McFaul), on which he engages politely on a regular basis with bad-faith egg accounts likely operating out of the Kremlin’s “troll factory,” it seems more likely McFaul believes his own bullshit. He’s not a spook; he’s a dupe, and over decades of in-person interactions with the most powerful figures in both Russia and the United States, he never seems to figure this out.

Twitter is not a minor part of this story. McFaul devotes an entire chapter to the social-media platform, which he began using during his stint as ambassador in 2012 as a way to communicate directly with the Russian people. Some comical gaffes ensue, as when McFaul referred to Russia’s fourth-largest city, Yekaterinburg, as “yoburg,” a slang nickname he somehow fails to recognize means “fuckburg.” (This incident also recalls how McFaul personally provided the wrong translation for “reset” to Hillary Clinton prior to her meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, thus embarrassing her and the entire country from the policy’s outset.) But despite this and other hiccups, McFaul enjoyed being a rock star on the Russian scene again, and he especially enjoyed receiving personal endorsements from unidentified Russian Twitter accounts.
Hot Peace sounds like the name of an 80s hair-metal band.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obama is boosting buttigieg, which makes 2020 look like a battle between Bernie, Obama’s failson, and Pelosi and Schumer’s safe bet.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Trump was right to call her Crooked

he gives away the game so badly

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
up lock the gently caress
her

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

This would be the most perfect outcome to 2016. It'll never happen, but it would be great.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nonsense posted:

Obama is boosting buttigieg, which makes 2020 look like a battle between Bernie, Obama’s failson, and Pelosi and Schumer’s safe bet.

ya people only @ him here because he has a funny name and there's that awesome ironic communist portrait of him

Buttigieg is okay, he could be a lot worse :shrug: He's still young before he turns pure suck

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

is there reporting on this that doesn't require dme to read the NY Post

did some googlin and found our very own Joementum's take on it

Seems like the Democrats have been sleepin on this which is also hilarious

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gunshow Poophole posted:

is there reporting on this that doesn't require dme to read the NY Post

did some googlin and found our very own Joementum's take on it

Seems like the Democrats have been sleepin on this which is also hilarious

can you post the text? i don't wanna pay bozos to read lovely wapo articles.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/Maggie_Klaus/status/958076036129804288

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

anime was right posted:

unironically lock her up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Condiv posted:

can you post the text? i don't wanna pay bozos to read lovely wapo articles.

touche fellow zoneista

Dave Weigel posted:

In an interview Tuesday with MSNBC, after calling for a “purge” of FBI agents proven to be biased against President Trump, Rep. Francis Rooney (R-Fla.) made an eye-popping accusation against Hillary Clinton.

“We’ve seen a lot of ends-before-the-means culture, both out of the Obama administration; out of Hillary Clinton, you know, with her $84 million of potentially illegal campaign contributions or the Clinton Foundation Uranium One [scandal],” said Rooney. “People need a good clean government.”

What was behind Rooney’s claim that Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign possibly received millions in illegal money? It was the first time a member of Congress had referred to a Federal Election Commission complaint lodged by a pro-Trump super PAC against Clinton and most state Democratic parties.

In the complaint, the Committee to Defend the President asked the FEC to determine whether the defeated Democrat engaged in “unprecedented, massive, nationwide multimillion-dollar conspiracy” to allow large donors to spread more money around. The “conspiracy,” however, may have simply taken advantage of new loopholes in campaign finance law — loopholes expanded after a Supreme Court victory by the lawyer who filed the new complaint.

The story starts in 2012, when Republican donor Shaun McCutcheon sued over FEC regulations that limited how much money donors could give to parties and candidate, in total, in any campaign cycle. McCutcheon’s case made it to the Supreme Court in 2013, where defenders of the FEC limits failed to convince the court’s conservative bloc that lifting the limit would allow candidates to blow past their own donation limits by routing more money through state parties.

“How realistic is that?” asked Justice Samuel Alito during oral arguments. “How realistic is it that all of the state party committees, for example, are going to get money and they’re all going to transfer it to one candidate?”

In the end, it was very realistic. In 2016, Clinton’s campaign created a Hillary Victory Fund — a joint fundraising committee — that allowed the candidate to raise money for both her campaign and 32 state parties at the same time. Donald Trump’s campaign did the same, albeit with fewer state parties. During the campaign, neither move courted much controversy.

After the campaign, the dam broke. In October, former Democratic National Committee chair Donna Brazile began releasing excerpts from her memoir “Hacks,” in which she described a DNC that was effectively run “from Brooklyn” — i.e., by Clinton’s campaign. Brazile’s criticisms got noticed by Dan Backer, who’d won McCutcheon’s case at the Supreme Court, and who happened to be the attorney behind the Committee to Defend the President. Donors who had given to the Hillary Victory Fund, whose money had been “earmarked” to elect Clinton, had, he argued, been part of a laundering scheme.

“The DNC, in turn, contributed most of those funds to HFA, made coordinated expenditures with HFA and otherwise transferred control of its money to HFA, as both the DNC’s own public filings and former DNC chairwoman Donna Brazile’s public confessions make clear,” Backer wrote in the complaint. “In McCutcheon v. FEC, 134 S. Ct. 1434, 1455 (2014), the Supreme Court itself recognized this precise arrangement would flatly violate federal earmarking restrictions, … though the court dismissed the possibility of such a flagrantly illegal scheme as ‘unlikely’ to occur. Not even the Supreme Court could anticipate the extent to which the Democratic Party and its elite, wealthy donor class would commit willful felonies in a futile attempt to facilitate Clinton’s election.”

Until Tuesday, most coverage of the FEC complaint had appeared in conservative media. Fox News reported that Clinton and the DNC had been accused of a “corrupt money scheme.” Backer explained the complaint’s logic in the conservative op-ed pages of Investor’s Business Daily.

Democrats, meanwhile, basically ignored the story. Reached for comment, several state party chairs — all of their state parties having been named in the complaint — said they were unaware of it. In the weeks since Brazile’s book was released, state Democratic Party chairs have criticized the 2016 funding arrangement; none thought it was illegal.

In an email, Backer argued that the complaint rested entirely on what Democrats had said and done about the JFC.

“If state parties never had any actual custody or control, the ‘allocation’ of funds to them was never a contribution to them, but rather an attempt to paper the funds through strawmen on the way to the DNC, where the funds were placed under the control of Team Clinton in Brooklyn,” Backer wrote. “Thus, the $300,000(ish) from Calvin Klein was not a contribution to each of the participating entities, but rather an excessive contribution to at least the DNC, and since they took that money and put it under the custody and control of Team Clinton, it is an excessive contribution to the campaign. If that’s how it was pitched to donors (I’ll bet you a steak dinner on that one), those doing the pitching violated federal law.”

Democrats have, by and large, declined to comment about Backer’s complaint. Campaign finance watchdogs, however, believe that the pro-Trump super PAC may be on to something. Paul S. Ryan, a vice president of Common Cause who works on campaign finance issues, said that “the possibility of this type of scheme was why I was critical of McCutcheon in the first place,” and that some type of probe into practice of new, larger joint fundraising agreements might have been inevitable.

“In my view, the complaint does show enough smoke to warrant investigation into whether there was a fire,” said Ryan. “It would be good to get some guidance from the FEC on this. Either way you cut the Backer complaint, this is either illegal activity, or it’s legal but troubling.”

Campaign finance watchdogs had been waiting for a tough examination of the donor pools created in 2016. It’s unclear how long it might take the FEC to dig in; it took years after the 2008 and 2012 cycles for the commission to levy fines against the campaigns of John Edwards and Mitt Romney.

• Locked thread