Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Sanctuary (S02E10) was a good episode. I think the Bajorans should have let them settle. I don't really see why they couldn't have tried it and left the possibility of moving to Draylon II open as a backup plan, but it'd probably have something to do with the availability of the logistics of transporting three million people and the idea that not all of them would volunteer to leave for Draylon II if it wasn't working out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

Pakled posted:

I like Jeb!'s posts. :colbert:

Yeah, gently caress you Timby

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The andorians are a cool race and I don't even mind their ENT design, I just wish we'd see an Andorian crew member played by Combs who lives in refrigerated quarters.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What's there not to mind about ENT's version? I think pretty much everyone, no matter their opinion on Enterprise, agrees the Andorians were good. Same rules as Doctor-centered Voyager episodes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I like the Discovery Andorians' eyebrows.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ENTdorians were indeed very good

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

galenanorth posted:

Sanctuary (S02E10) was a good episode. I think the Bajorans should have let them settle. I don't really see why they couldn't have tried it and left the possibility of moving to Draylon II open as a backup plan, but it'd probably have something to do with the availability of the logistics of transporting three million people and the idea that not all of them would volunteer to leave for Draylon II if it wasn't working out

Let's be honest, the Bajorans' stated reason for rejecting the Skreeans is probably BS and they really just didn't want to take in a bunch of gross skin flake people.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Plummer absolutely made the best of a bad script. It's remarkable how little he's in the movie (I think he has two short scenes between the attack on Kronos One and the actual Battle of Khitomer, and that's just him spouting Shakespeare quotes) but he makes the most of it.

...you just made me realize that there's probably more footage of Chang in Klingon Academy than there is in Star Trek 6.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mountaineer posted:

Let's be honest, the Bajorans' stated reason for rejecting the Skreeans is probably BS and they really just didn't want to take in a bunch of gross skin flake people.

That is consistent with the Bajoran quality of sucking.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Mountaineer posted:

another thing, if the Skreeans are willing to accept the harsh conditions, I don't see why it's any worse for the Bajorans' sense of not resisting being able to help to be on their planet as opposed to out in space

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've been watching TOS and like

Has anyone noticed that Spock doesn't have a chair on the bridge?

The one nonhuman guy in the bridge crew and he doesn't get a drat chair

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jeb's posts are fine, but the dumb spam that he fills an entire page with when he watches a new episode sucks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nodosaur posted:

I've been watching TOS and like

Has anyone noticed that Spock doesn't have a chair on the bridge?

The one nonhuman guy in the bridge crew and he doesn't get a drat chair

He’s supposed to sit at his science station, he just prefers to hover and judge Kirk

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He’s supposed to sit at his science station, he just prefers to hover and judge Kirk

he doesn't have a chair though, does he? He has to hunch over that weird box thing. That has to be murder on his eyesight.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yes, he has a chair:
https://imgur.com/iiii7Ly

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well okay then. it's been hard to tell sometimes

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Chair and chair. What is chair?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Klingon Big Boy chair:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

galenanorth posted:

The episode beats you over the head with the moral that the Bajorans did the wrong thing, despite millions of them being refugees themselves just a few years ago.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bajorans are the worst, you think they should be burdened with taking care of a race even worse than them?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I could see Spock being a "standing desk" guy.

"It is most illogical to sit, as in meditation, when one is meant to be active and engaged. I simply lower the gravity in my regular work area, thus alleviating fatigue."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

At least they did reference Robert April among that list of 'exceptional Starfleet captains' along with Pike, Archer, and Will Decker

Matt Decker.

This:

Not this:

Fun fact: when they were coming up with TNG, they decided they still liked the idea of an ambitious young first officer, so they retooled Will Decker into Will Riker and the rest is history.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

spincube posted:

Klingon Big Boy chair:

Perfect summation of TNG Worf in a single picture.

- Forcing himself to do something uncomfortable for ~reasons~
- Grumpy irritation when his personal life appears

All it’s missing is his mom tossing him out of the chair to prove she’s this week’s bad guy

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

ENTdorians were indeed very good

Discovery Andorians looked good. Now that they have the makeup made for this series, I'm hoping they'll use them more.

Peachfart posted:

Jeb's posts are fine, but the dumb spam that he fills an entire page with when he watches a new episode sucks.

I disagree. Jeb's posts are poo poo, but the dumb spam that he fills an entire page with when he watches a new episode makes life worth living.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Perfect summation of TNG Worf in a single picture.

- Forcing himself to do something uncomfortable for ~reasons~
- Grumpy irritation when his personal life appears

All it’s missing is his mom tossing him out of the chair to prove she’s this week’s bad guy
Reminder: Worf is the Joey of space

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zesty posted:

Discovery Andorians looked good. Now that they have the makeup made for this series, I'm hoping they'll use them more.

Now if only they would just go back to TNG makeup for the Klingons and just never mention how they looked different in the first season.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

That would make total sense considering they specifically point out a lot of traits of the Talarian culture that are identical to Klingons

Maybe they were wanting to let the make-up department go nuts with persuing new achievements in special effects, thinking people want to see more aliens after TOS's "all aliens look exactly human" aliens, but I think they crossed a line where they during TNG introduced too many similar ones and people prefer to see the same ones again for continuity. I appreciate that you could make some kind of "common characteristics" branching chart using Klingon-like species though

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s nothing wrong with introducing a bunch of different aliens if you have the money to do it and it suits the scope. Sure they aren’t all, or even mostly, memorable, but they don’t all need to be. “Darmok” would not be greatly improved if the aliens kept hanging around for another five episodes being weird. TNG doesn’t have an overarching plot or anything so if your exploration mission keeps running you into the same five kinds of guy again and again it just kind of makes everything seem smaller than necessary.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Peachfart posted:

This is like saying Star Trek is a good show but I hate the episodes where they're exploring space

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

skasion posted:

There’s nothing wrong with introducing a bunch of different aliens if you have the money to do it and it suits the scope. Sure they aren’t all, or even mostly, memorable, but they don’t all need to be. “Darmok” would not be greatly improved if the aliens kept hanging around for another five episodes being weird. TNG doesn’t have an overarching plot or anything so if your exploration mission keeps running you into the same five kinds of guy again and again it just kind of makes everything seem smaller than necessary.

Especially because it doesn't take a lot for aliens to be memorable. In TOS, Klingons were in 5 episodes; Errand of Mercy, the Trouble with Tribbles, Day of the Dove, A Private Little War, and Friday's Child, and the Romulans were in two; Balance of Terror and The Enterprise Incident, but they became the two iconic Star Trek villians.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And the Borg were only ever in "Q Who" and they're massively popular!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

And the Borg were only ever in "Q Who" and they're massively popular!

The Borg were in five episodes of TNG.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Epicurius posted:

The Borg were in five episodes of TNG.

Incorrect, they were only ever in "Q Who" but despite that they really took off in people's imaginations!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah BoBW1 ... whew everyone hates that episode! :rolleye:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pakled posted:

I like Jeb!'s posts. :colbert:

I liked them for TNG but for TOS I can never really envision the episode he's watching so it's just spam. I'm not familiar enough with them, I think.

Also if it hadn't been made clear that the guy in was Gowron before I'd have no idea. He really looks VERY different now he's old.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Yeah BoBW1 ... whew everyone hates that episode! :rolleye:

It was a good episode, but I think it would have been improved with the addition of some Borg!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's the eyes. He should've bugged 'em out for one of the photos.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

galenanorth posted:

gently caress em. Bajor was in a tense and complicated state post-liberation; they're under no obligation to add a new political faction to their planet when they're already in a very volatile situation. Space is full of unoccupied class M planets in Trek, so just the fact that somebody's religion tells them your planet is their holy land doesn't give them any right to move there. IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Gonz posted:

It's the eyes. He should've bugged 'em out for one of the photos.

He did it once during the visit, but I didn't want it to turn into "Odo, do the Cardassian neck trick" so I decided not to ask.