Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ayn Randi posted:

finally realised I didn't actually need to acquire an actual projector item

Re projector: just throw funds in the slot :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yep, got there right at the very end which saved me having to grind an upper tier instrument trying to fit another ritual :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uhm... I seem to have lost my Passion and I have no idea how to get more?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Probably used it up in one of the doubiously marked (recruiting an acquaintance into a follower) actions. that thing eats most ingredients.

My suggestion is to just restart. I noticed this in my first playthrough very early on at least.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah. :( I used it on that.

I guess the recruit turned out to be so disappointing that I lost all taste for this cult business.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
if you're still at first recruit stage i'd restart yeah, that slot really ought not to accept attributes imo but there you go. you can get more passion in the first instance by studying a glimmering with another glimmering, you have enough time to study > passion twice to generate two glimmerings before the first one expires. the next upgrade in this vein requires 4 so you'll need more random events to get 4 glimmerings at once but you'll also find collections of poetry in the bookstore/auction house, you study those with two glimmerings for another upgrade. you'll end up with more passion than you'll realistically need eventually

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
You can study passion while also painting and generally get glimmering fast enough to not need random events for the second one at least.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think the most Passion you ever really need at once is 4.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah but my problem is getting passion from 0

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Synthbuttrange posted:

yeah but my problem is getting passion from 0

You can’t, just restart. Losing poo poo with the Trappings slot is the most common complaint in the thread.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

trap sloooooot!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We ought to put that into the OP.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, a point about "not every verb slot needs to be filled for many things to work" would be nice too, probably.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

When should I be doing these rituals I keep finding. I never have the items I need for them.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sandweed posted:

When should I be doing these rituals I keep finding. I never have the items I need for them.

rites are (mostly) interchangeable in terms of the results they output, the only difference is the classes of cards they take as inputs. excepting the lowest levels of lore, the lore cards will give you parenthetical hints about what rites they can be used for. start filling up the slots in the rite and if you get 2/3 for a valid combination it will hint at what else you can use to finish it, or tell you you're lacking intensity in one of the aspects

edit: the same combination in any rite will always give the same output, but if you need something for a recipe eg a corpse you need a rite that will take one as an input. any summoning will require knock, but afaik you never need more than 2. you'll probably want to largely avoid rites whos consume slot eats non renewable items

Ayn Randi fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 11, 2018

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Sandweed posted:

The main utility for rites is summoning useful creatures to help with expeditions or evidence squashing. That said, you don't really "need" the summons for quite a while if you have a deep bench of disciples (upgraded recruits) and feel confident understanding how expeditions work and making educated guesses about what skills will be useful based on the text hints. (Here's a pro tip, if you put an expedition in 'explore', add one Cultist and one fund, the text on the left of the pane changes and basically spells out what kind of challenges you'll face, and in what order!).

The earliest rites you get involve sacrificing a person or a piece of lore and are hot garbage. Eventually, through reading, you'll find rites that use up ingredients or influences, and that's when things get interesting.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
victims in general are ok they're renewable because you can imprison hirelings, don't sacrifice your own cultists because there's a finite amount , same with lore. but you can explore until you get an opportunity to hire a random, imprison them before their timer runs out and use them for a rite

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Yeah but victims don’t contribute a lot of power, so they’re a wasted slot compared with one that could have eg an 8 or 10 power influence

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
this game made me reinstall sunless sea

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If you work with Decrepitude you can get a free dread, or 2 cash.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Soup du Journey posted:

this game made me reinstall sunless sea

This game made me buy the Sunless Skies early access.

I realized last night that being on the Board of Glover & Glover will actually eat notoriety without consequences, with what is I suppose a random chance that you get reprimanded for it. I went through 4 or 5 notoriety without any negative consequences before I got a warning. Makes sense, I suppose. "How dare you criticize such an important and upstanding member of the community! Mr. Pembroke is an accomplished business man and charitable donor to the Puppy Sanitarium For Bad Dogs. These lies about occult connections and secret societies of murderers are farcical and slanderous!"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo i'm naming my next run elongated musk

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I give up, what’s the easiest way to summon something with Moth 10 to get rid of evidence? I’m sick of painting notoriety away.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

There aren't any 10 moth summons, but you can get close if you use a rite with a lot of Forge and a little Winter, or a lot of Grail and a little Moth. As a summon, both rites need Knock, of course.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i use the grail summon for that it's real nice

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Someone posted an easy recipe at the start of the thread, here it is

1) The Sunset Rite, acquired by buying 'STUMM!' from the Auction House and watching it with Funds.
2) Forge 6 from Lore
3) Winter 5 from a Winter-aligned Disciple
4) Knock 2 from A Subtle Flaw, can be dreamed up easily by going to the Temple of the Wheel via the Wood.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
On the subject of STUMM!: It really feels like a wasted opportunity to me that there are few other texts that aren’t... texts. Movies, gramophone records, photo albums, paintings, statues... I got a bowl that taught me a new language and that seems to be it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

lets hang out posted:

Someone posted an easy recipe at the start of the thread, here it is

1) The Sunset Rite, acquired by buying 'STUMM!' from the Auction House and watching it with Funds.
2) Forge 6 from Lore
3) Winter 5 from a Winter-aligned Disciple
4) Knock 2 from A Subtle Flaw, can be dreamed up easily by going to the Temple of the Wheel via the Wood.

Wait, you can BUY stuff at the Auction House? My first thought was "Cool, more books" but then I put it on the Exploration verb and didn't work :bang:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fat Samurai posted:

Wait, you can BUY stuff at the Auction House? My first thought was "Cool, more books" but then I put it on the Exploration verb and didn't work :bang:

If you put it into the explore verb the description will tell you how to buy things.

If you've emptied Morland's you're not going to find many more books there, though.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

"The Bramble" posted:

I realized last night that being on the Board of Glover & Glover will actually eat notoriety without consequences, with what is I suppose a random chance that you get reprimanded for it. I went through 4 or 5 notoriety without any negative consequences before I got a warning. Makes sense, I suppose. "How dare you criticize such an important and upstanding member of the community! Mr. Pembroke is an accomplished business man and charitable donor to the Puppy Sanitarium For Bad Dogs. These lies about occult connections and secret societies of murderers are farcical and slanderous!"

There are eventually consequences...

You get paid off and can't work there any more

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I need to find more places to go to, is it solely under the perview of dread RNG?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

I need to find more places to go to, is it solely under the perview of dread RNG?

No, you get an expedition location each time you explore with Histories. But there are only a limited number at each tier; after that you'll get the same one over and over, and that repeating one is less rewarding than the non-repeating ones. So once you hit that point you should move to a new tier.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm fairly certain there are only 4 unique expeditions per tier. The repeatable ones are worth doing once to read the story, but they are both harder (more challenges) and less rewarding than the unique expeditions of their respective tier.

Has anyone tried combining 2 level 12 Histories (Vagabond's Map). Is there a super secret tier of expeditions you can only get that way?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
You don't even have to do that, you can get level 14 from the Red Church/Worm Museum via the Peacock Door, and I think there's a book that gives one too. There are expeditions associated with them.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Tehan posted:

You don't even have to do that, you can get level 14 from the Red Church/Worm Museum via the Peacock Door, and I think there's a book that gives one too. There are expeditions associated with them.

Yeah, you can get the book that gives Secret Histories 14 from using Explore(I think?) with a Paradoxical Curio to bury it in the sand. You lose the Curio but get the book in return.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
How do I increase my desire up to 6 to do rites? How do I get my paintings to sell more than 1/4 of the time?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ograbme posted:

How do I increase my desire up to 6 to do rites? How do I get my paintings to sell more than 1/4 of the time?

You don't need desire to do a rite - that's just to do the final rite that wins the game.

Don't put passion in, put mystique. Basically: Sell out and cash in on your reputation.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

megane posted:

No, you get an expedition location each time you explore with Histories. But there are only a limited number at each tier; after that you'll get the same one over and over, and that repeating one is less rewarding than the non-repeating ones. So once you hit that point you should move to a new tier.

And where do I find histories lore?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

And where do I find histories lore?

Best way to do this is the Ways into the Mansus, but there are a few books out there to get you started. Check Morland's and Oriflammes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ograbme posted:

How do I get my paintings to sell more than 1/4 of the time?

You can Work with Vivid Imagination which you get after increasing your Passion. This lets you make better paintings.