Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's no npc settlers so who is the bar for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
After taking a few hours to digest it and get my preorder in because I'm a sucker, I have some worries about Fallout 76:

I hope there's the option as in GTA online where you can play and interact with people but you can't hurt each other until you choose to be aggressive.

Did they mention if you lose all your weapons and gear if you get killed and looted? Hopefully it's a system like the Division where you drop a single item or a randomly generated one.

I have little doubt some clan is gonna become OP and just nuke everyone hourly and kill the fun.

I hope there's a way to play without the building element. I'd like to see the gameworld Bethesda created before it's littered with buildings shaped like dicks and swastikas.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Volkerball posted:

im thirsty vb

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volkerball posted:

Waiting for them to steal the Conan mechanic of roofie-ing random enemies so they can hang out in your bar

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

AutomaticPrince posted:

Did they mention if you lose all your weapons and gear if you get killed and looted? Hopefully it's a system like the Division where you drop a single item or a randomly generated one.

todd said you dont lose any progress if you die but i dont know if that extends to inventory or just perks/level progression

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Berke Negri posted:

im thirsty vb

Maybe you can buy a drink from cuntlord mlady, the naked traveling salesman who's always doing the Macarena

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I wonder how many people still playing fallout 4 are just using it for a waifu or to carefully place nuka cola bottles on a table? Steamstats isn't giving me enough data.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

AutomaticPrince posted:

I have little doubt some clan is gonna become OP and just nuke everyone hourly and kill the fun.

The way they describe nukes as "changing the landscape" makes me thing you would need to preorder to see the environment as anything but a blasted hellscape after the first week.

Defending my poo poo from people that have more time and resources than me almost scared me off MGSV. If I hadn't found the loophole to log off anytime I was at the base, I would have quit immediately rather than have all my stuff stolen constantly.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

The way they describe nukes as "changing the landscape" makes me thing you would need to preorder to see the environment as anything but a blasted hellscape after the first week.

Defending my poo poo from people that have more time and resources than me almost scared me off MGSV. If I hadn't found the loophole to log off anytime I was at the base, I would have quit immediately rather than have all my stuff stolen constantly.

in mgsv you shouldn't get your poo poo stolen if you don't first try to steal other people's poo poo; it's poorly explained in-game but there's basically a matchmaking system based off of how often you interact with the pvp base stuff

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rewatching Todd says “each of those characters is a real person” when referring to the people that left Vault 76. He didn’t say there are no NPCs.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tenzarin posted:

I wonder how many people still playing fallout 4 are just using it for a waifu or to carefully place nuka cola bottles on a table? Steamstats isn't giving me enough data.

I play it to shoot folks in VR

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

its going to be an incredibly empty game if there's absolutely no npcs in a gameworld "four times the size" of fallout 4 if there's only dozens of players per instance

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

marktheando posted:

Rewatching Todd says “each of those characters is a real person” when referring to the people that left Vault 76. He didn’t say there are no NPCs.

There are clearly npc raiders and poo poo, they showed them in the trailer. What they didn't show are any towns or things that would imply there are quests and such beyond "your overseer will send you to six unique regions"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Who plays Fallout 4 for any other reason than to go Vault-Diving in search of more crafting materials?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vinylshadow posted:

Who plays Fallout 4 for any other reason than to go Vault-Diving in search of more crafting materials?

No joke that aspect of the game scratches an itch I didn't know I had.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

why are we leaving a pristine vault to live in shacks

at least use it as a base or a hotel or something

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The lack of open modding is what's going to make 76 a 100% non-buy.

I've got around 700 hours of fallout 4 in me, about 20 of which were unmodded. Same with Skyrim. Bethesda's games are just too drat flawed to rely on them to keep them fixed given their long history of doing the bare minimum to fix launch day issues before all but abandoning the games

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Berke Negri posted:

i like the idea of building a sweet bar over a coal mine with friends and then fighting off giant mothmen trying to wreck our poo poo

having to constantly pvp randos and deal with nukes much less so

This is what I want.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

You get mods for multiplayer games. No guarantee this one will have them, but it's not without precedent.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If my ark friends can switch to f:76, and the shooting and exploring is merely equal to f:4, this game will be a bridge. Like, if I can log in, get handed a pipe rifle and 20 rounds, and told to walk overland to a salvage site they ear marked earlier, that'd involve very different gamer groups I know. and then, I bring them back loot, and time I log in they hand me a better gun and point me at a more dangerous site. I don't need to like the building, because unlike f:4 the labor can be split. I've been waiting for an ark or rust styled game with decent combat, and f:4 is decent; it's not DOOM but it's not ARK either.

Now, that's assuming we can host our own server and install some mods, but I'm optimistic and excited.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vinylshadow posted:

Jokes on you that Enclave suit is now DLC not mod for 76 propbably.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Unless they announce private sessions I'm out, and I'm one of the idiots who splashed out on the awful pip boy edition of 4 and still loved it.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 14, 2024

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If they aren't already planning on allowing some kind of private sessions, I'm hoping the player revolt they'll get will at least make them patch it in later.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Azhais posted:

The lack of open modding is what's going to make 76 a 100% non-buy.

I've got around 700 hours of fallout 4 in me, about 20 of which were unmodded. Same with Skyrim. Bethesda's games are just too drat flawed to rely on them to keep them fixed given their long history of doing the bare minimum to fix launch day issues before all but abandoning the games

This is why I’m probably not going to get it, unmodded Beth games kind of blow.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

He also says they are the first to leave the vault. If there were survivor communities or something you would think it would've been mentioned

Azhais posted:

There are clearly npc raiders and poo poo, they showed them in the trailer.

I didn't see any. All vault dwellers and monsters.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Berke Negri posted:

todd said you dont lose any progress if you die but i dont know if that extends to inventory or just perks/level progression

I'm going to guess that's levels and perks. I think he meant you "don't lose progress" in the sense that it's not a permadeath game like DayZ where you need to roll up a new character with a new spawn point. You'll probably lose your inventory at the time of death unless you can return to the body and some caps as a death penalty.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

No joke that aspect of the game scratches an itch I didn't know I had.

I never wanted a fan or typewriter so bad.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
How will I be able to protect my poo poo if I log out?

How will nukes permanently effect the world?

How the gently caress are there no NPCs?

Etc.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

There better be a junk jet so I can become fan death

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Vinylshadow posted:

Vault-Diving? In Fallout 4?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
tbh it makes me kind of sad that they were given a perfect setup of "what if there was a normal vault that had no experiment and an untouched world outside its bulkhead" and decided to follow through with "it's exactly like every other fallout game, but now there's more players"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rinkles posted:

Vault-Diving? In Fallout 4?

You have to build the vault first

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Just saw the E3 promo a little earlier and Fallout 76 looks like it might be really disappointing for me. One of the biggest flaws of 4 IMO was that the map was full of places that looked interesting but were only filled with mindless raiders who shoot you on site, it made the world feel really boring and empty. Now with the focus on multiplayer and PVP even more resources and time were probably be shifted away from story and role-playing. I know that there are a lot of people who really enjoy the rust and ark style survival games but I get bored with that quickly.

I'm still hype for cyberpunk though. I hope there's some crazy intense character customization in that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Buckets posted:

One of the biggest flaws of 4 IMO was that the map was full of places that looked interesting but were only filled with mindless raiders who shoot you on site, it made the world feel really boring and empty. Now with the focus on multiplayer and PVP even more resources and time were probably be shifted away from story and role-playing.

"Oh a fight pit bar? That sounds really co- oh it's just a shootout that gets abandoned after. A ROBOT RACETRACK? That sounds awes- oh it's just a shootout that gets abandoned after. Well.. I mean surely this witchcraft museum might have something ne- shoot monster and leave."

Whoever wasted all their really good setpieces like that should've had their poo poo slapped.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Since the idea seems to be that WV didn't get directly hit by the nukes, given how the small gap between the end of the world and this game, there should be a lot more evidence around of all the death and despair, especially since nobody else has been around to clean anything up at all. I hope they're consistent enough to have surviving tech like computers functioning more smoothly than they do after another couple hundred years of falling apart in the other games.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The one thing that makes me cranky is that I think Fallout 76 would be dope as gently caress as a game on switch, so hop in, troll some people, steal their poo poo and build a plasma tv on the go

drat it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yardbomb posted:

"Oh a fight pit bar? That sounds really co- oh it's just a shootout that gets abandoned after. A ROBOT RACETRACK? That sounds awes- oh it's just a shootout that gets abandoned after. Well.. I mean surely this witchcraft museum might have something ne- shoot monster and leave."

Whoever wasted all their really good setpieces like that should've had their poo poo slapped.

I was so mad when I found out there was no way to not aggro everyone when you walked into the combat zone.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

hey that's not a bad idea, maybe I'll do another fallout 4 playthrough

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Todd Howard Q&A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPWDwBrUNyY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

I was so mad when I found out there was no way to not aggro everyone when you walked into the combat zone.

That stood out as the biggest waste in the game to me too. I think at one point it was supposed to be a playable thing, but welp.