Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Deified Data posted:

So yeah, fed up with getting owned time and again with my melee-centric Nids force I'm branching out to my first gunline army (and first Imperium army, weirdly enough), Adeptus Mechanicus. I've been eyeing these guys for a while and my current losing streak has me eyeing them harder than ever before.

I have a Dex and a Start Collecitng on order at the moment. My favorite unit in the army are Kastelans - I love their big dumb faces and huggable chassis. Anyone kind enough to give me a sort of collection guide on models I should focus on? This is gonna be a sort of slow-grow thing, gonna try to take my time painting them. Do I have to bring Knights with admech or can I make up for their firepower with onagers and bots?

Sydonian Dragoons are pretty great especially taken as Stygies VIII so you can get a tasty -2 to hit from more than 12" away and you can infiltrate them for easy charges. Only bad thing about them is that they're pretty pricey money wise per model and you only get 1 per box. Onager Dunecrawlers are always good and they're some of the best models aesthetic wise in the army. Who doesn't like crab tanks with huge rear end guns?

Knights are a nice fluffy complement to an Ad Mech army but they're not required. Then again the IK codex just came out so it's hard to say how good they'll be but all signs point to good so far. Either way you can totally go all in on robots and Dunecrawlers for fire support and do just fine.

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
White Privilege in quotes, check.
Virtue Signalling, which only bigots ever use as a defense, check.
Saying no, YOU'RE the bigots! check.

Le sigh.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deified Data posted:

So yeah, fed up with getting owned time and again with my melee-centric Nids force I'm branching out to my first gunline army (and first Imperium army, weirdly enough), Adeptus Mechanicus. I've been eyeing these guys for a while and my current losing streak has me eyeing them harder than ever before.

I have a Dex and a Start Collecitng on order at the moment. My favorite unit in the army are Kastelans - I love their big dumb faces and huggable chassis. Anyone kind enough to give me a sort of collection guide on models I should focus on? This is gonna be a sort of slow-grow thing, gonna try to take my time painting them. Do I have to bring Knights with admech or can I make up for their firepower with onagers and bots?

Kastelans are a very good unit which pours out tons of shots and are reasonably tough. Onagers are also very good, although the D3 shots on the neutron laser can be painful sometimes.

You basically have very reasonable Troops, an excellent melee unit in Dragoons (with the +2 to hit strat so they're hitting on 2s and exploding attacks on 4s), two of the best Heavy Support in the game, and then not a lot else, but the first three make up for it. If you're looking to play them semi-competitively, then build around a core of those things and then splash in other units to taste and you'll have a fun if somewhat samey time.

I was going to get a run of games with mine this weekend at a doubles tournament but annoyingly I'm away for work and won't have time to paint my last Dragoon, so I'm taking some Guard and a Knight instead to tool around with. It's kind of refreshing to go to an event with no concerns about winning anything.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
The smash-face gallant seems like it might be real good. Tap dancing across a unit is 18 (or 21) attacks, at str 8, -2 ap and d3 damage at WS2. It has the potential to be pretty good at least.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SRM posted:

The evolution of your username has been one of my favorite parts of coming to SA over the past decade.

I miss people trying to win arguments by quoting my name at me as a last resort, but it had to go. It was unlovely.

Sanford posted:

I started listening to the Badcast last week and find it to be not only cool, but also good in several ways. I’m going from the beginning and listening in order, up to episode ten so far. It’s like this thread, in the past, in my ears!

I'm also months behind, because I only listen to it when I'm painting. But yeah, the Badcast is great. It's the only hobby podcast I listen to.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Are you boys telling me that for once my favorite options for an army are actually somewhat ideal and viable in combination? It's a miracle.

I always shoehorn myself into fluffy choices that I think are cool and tend to suffer for it - Nids are an especially bad trap for this, with half of their coolest units being lumbering melee monsters that are born to die. This might be the first army I build from the ground up that could hold its own in a serious game lol

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

Kastelans are a very good unit which pours out tons of shots and are reasonably tough. Onagers are also very good, although the D3 shots on the neutron laser can be painful sometimes.

You basically have very reasonable Troops, an excellent melee unit in Dragoons (with the +2 to hit strat so they're hitting on 2s and exploding attacks on 4s), two of the best Heavy Support in the game, and then not a lot else, but the first three make up for it. If you're looking to play them semi-competitively, then build around a core of those things and then splash in other units to taste and you'll have a fun if somewhat samey time.

I was going to get a run of games with mine this weekend at a doubles tournament but annoyingly I'm away for work and won't have time to paint my last Dragoon, so I'm taking some Guard and a Knight instead to tool around with. It's kind of refreshing to go to an event with no concerns about winning anything.

Fulgurite Electro-Priests in Stygies are legit. You can Infiltrate them for 1 CP, meaning they don't have to wander across the battlefield. You jump a small unit in combat, and then get 3++ the rest of the game. You also have the ability to fight twice in combat, and rolls of 6 on wounds generate d3 mortal wounds. They're a nice compliment to the shooty. I like to use them to grief my opponents flanks.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 11, 2018

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So Ruststalkers are the kickin rad fluffy unit that no one ever takes in this instance, is that right

I'm gonna have to take some then

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I miss people trying to win arguments by quoting my name at me as a last resort, but it had to go. It was unlovely.

i miss the way youd refuse to change it and call people easily offended as a last resort

e: like its great that you finally did but dont act like you werent a fuckin shitbag about it

BIG MEATY SHITS fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 11, 2018

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Corrode posted:

Listening to the Badcast for the first time

Reading all these forum posts with my own inner voice did not at all prepare me for the sheer Americanness of you both

Get us drunk and we'll go full Boston vs. Baltimore and we can't even control it.

Here are my responses to that one chud:
https://twitter.com/DB_Sleazy/status/1006162561488826375

and then after he said some more dumb poo poo
https://twitter.com/DB_Sleazy/status/1006167932949364738

and then he said even more dumb poo poo
https://twitter.com/DB_Sleazy/status/1006177315221573632

Campbell tried to engage, but I don't have good words so I just make jokes.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Hamshot posted:

White Privilege in quotes, check.
Virtue Signalling, which only bigots ever use as a defense, check.
Saying no, YOU'RE the bigots! check.

Le sigh.

It was a dense bit of nonsense so it's easy to overlook "SJW" was thrown in to the mix.

On that point, anyone know what the standard loon rationalization is for calling out supposed Social Justice Warriors? Under their logic scheme, calling the use of Nazi iconography racist is "bigoted". If only a racist calls out racism, what does that mean for those calling out "SJWs"?

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

EvilBeard posted:

Fulgurite Electro-Priests in Stygies are legit. You can Infiltrate them for 1 CP, meaning they don't have to wander across the battlefield. You jump a small unit in combat, and then get 3++ the rest of the game. You also have the ability to fight twice in combat, and rolls of 6 on wounds generate d3 mortal wounds. They're a nice compliment to the shooty. I like to use them to grief my opponents flanks.

I really want to try this at some point myself because I have 10 fulgurites and they've only ever come through for me in one game where they ate Frost axe + blizzard shield venerable Dreadnought alive in a single turn. They'll be a nice tag team partner for infiltrating dragoons but between IK and Ad Mech stratagems I'm gonna have a tough time not completely blowing through all my CP turn 1. The CP regeneration ad mech WL trait hopefully helps with this a little.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Get us drunk and we'll go full Boston vs. Baltimore and we can't even control it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Badcast boys doing the lords work. These people need to be chased out of the hobby

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Deified Data posted:

Badcast boys doing the lords work. These people need to be chased out of the hobby

Maybe they can tackle proper use of deodorant in a future episode.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The Sex Cannon posted:

He's got you guys on ignoring the ethics of miniature game journalism for freely distributed podbadcasts. Editorializing about the hobby is a flagrant abuse of your listeners' trust.

Your licenses will be revoked. Forthwith.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Er, is this comic about racists making fun of black people and then getting pissed off when they try to defend themselves without getting angry? I'm really confused because this doesn't seem to have a good point...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

I figured if I tried to engage, just once out of good faith, I might be able to change some minds, but at least he didn't call us cucks yet?

And yeah let's fuckin go and have some Nattybohs on your patio

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Don't group them all together, also we're all SJWs. Got it.

I never saw that Proud Boy at my LGS again, but I haven't been there every weekend.

If I see him again I'll be sure to Virtue Signal. Just gotta figure out what that is, exactly.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Maneck posted:

He's got you guys on ignoring the ethics of miniature game journalism for freely distributed podbadcasts. Editorializing about the hobby is a flagrant abuse of your listeners' trust.

Your licenses will be revoked. Forthwith.

but i feed my kids with this podcast!

whatever will i do?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/PrimarkPrimarch/status/946359581239926784

and ofc he likes the uk breitbart

BIG MEATY SHITS fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 11, 2018

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Jesus. Has anyone else gotten to the point that as soon as someone unironically uses the term "SJW" it immediately flags them as a complete tool?

Story time:

My wife and I were on vacation a few years back, to the lovely mountains of Colorado. Great hiking, some fun white-water rafting, beautiful vistas. On our way back, we were flying out of Colorado Springs, connecting through Denver before heading home. We got to Colorado Springs in plenty of time, but could see the makings of a nasty storm rolling in off the mountains. Sure enough, the airlines started announcing delays. Though our flight had not yet been modified, we could see the writing on the wall (and about 20 minutes later, it too was delayed by at least 3 hours, meaning we'd miss our connection).

Now Colorado Springs is just a short hop from Denver. It's only a little over an hour drive between airports. "No worries," I thought, "I'll just re-rent our car and we can drive to Denver in plenty of time!" So I go back down to the Hertz desk and inquire. Nope. Already gone. Same with Avis and Enterprise. No cars available at all. And I went down immediately after they announced delays, but CS is a small airport and their reserve of vehicles is tiny to non-existent. So we go back up to the ticket desk to see if the gate agent can re-arrange us on an earlier flight, get us out before the storm, or even get us on a different connection to get home that same night.

Because here's the thing: we'd left the kids with my father-in-law, and while I knew they were in good hands, it was the first time my wife had been away from them for more than a single overnight since they had been born (I think they were 3 and 5 at the time). Not the most cool and calm person under the best of unforeseen circumstances, she started freaking out. In the face of this freak-out, the ticket agent is giving us the "sorry, there's not really anything I can do for you, poo poo happens" face.

This is when the guy behind us in the ticket line says, "Pssst." And I'm like, "who, me?" Yeah. You. Clean cut white guy, I'd guess mid-fifties or so. He says to me, "I live about halfway between CS and Denver and fly out of both all the time. It doesn't matter to me which one I come back through. So take my car, drive it to the Denver airport, leave the keys locked inside it (he had a spare set), and text me where you parked it. I'll change my return flight to come back through Denver." He then hands us the keys to a two-year-old Chevy Tahoe. A dude we've never met, trusting us to just take his car and text him where we've left it.

Now imagine whether the same thing would have happened had I been black and tell me again that white privilege isn't a thing. This particular dude was such a decent, kind-hearted, beautiful human being that I would like to believe it wouldn't have mattered to him, but I personally know too many people for whom it would have to hold any illusions about life not being easier for me simply because I'm white.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

NovemberMike posted:

Er, is this comic about racists making fun of black people and then getting pissed off when they try to defend themselves without getting angry? I'm really confused because this doesn't seem to have a good point...

Sealioning is a thing where e.g. anti-feminists will insist on sucking up time and energy by having a 'reasoned debate' over every single loving thing, in the form of an individual 1 on 1 conversation. Like say you're trying to talk about a specific current issue like Hollywood harassment, a sea lion will start debating the entire theoretical groundwork of feminism or rape culture, and you are required to individually explain every single thing, and no they won't just Google it.

Sometimes it's a deliberate sandbagging strategy, sometimes it's just standard middle-class privilege showing through where people automatically assume their questions are meaningful and important and deserving of your time and attention. Either way it's loving annoying.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TheBigAristotle posted:

Don't group them all together, also we're all SJWs. Got it.

I never saw that Proud Boy at my LGS again, but I haven't been there every weekend.

If I see him again I'll be sure to Virtue Signal. Just gotta figure out what that is, exactly.

Semaphore with Pride flags.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I virtue signal with flares in a color left of the visual spectrum.

Also I wish they had called it "Unbiased Advantage" instead of "White Privilege." loving first thing white people do is go defensive about how I DON'T HAVE THAT! I EARNED EVERYTHING!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ilor posted:

Jesus. Has anyone else gotten to the point that as soon as someone unironically uses the term "SJW" it immediately flags them as a complete tool?

Absolutely, the effect for me is immediate and drat near irreversible and sadly renders a lot of relationships with my fellow Hams strictly opponents.

The biggest thing I've found with these people, the ones who can still be saved anyway, is simply owning it and not giving a poo poo or showing even a fraction of shame or doubt about being a decent, empathetic person. Don't go overboard, don't be the guy who brings politics to the game table, but don't hide it either. Eventually the word loses all meaning.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Welp, I done goofed.

Accidentally ordered 2 Vindicator Laser Destroyers from ForgeWorld instead of 1.

This means I gotta make a call to merry ol' england in the morning to cancel my order.

Unless there's a goon near Washington DC that wants to buy my spare tank off me.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Never debate with racists, fash and misogynists. Just tell them to gently caress off.

Also Helverins look loving boss, sorry Badcast dudes.

They actually look dorky in photos but decent in real life.

Also weighing in on the Badcast is good and this week's one was especially good and real.
Also agree with Corrode. You guys are very American. Although the Forge the Narrative guys have you beat on that one.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Corrode posted:

Sealioning is a thing where e.g. anti-feminists will insist on sucking up time and energy by having a 'reasoned debate' over every single loving thing, in the form of an individual 1 on 1 conversation. Like say you're trying to talk about a specific current issue like Hollywood harassment, a sea lion will start debating the entire theoretical groundwork of feminism or rape culture, and you are required to individually explain every single thing, and no they won't just Google it.

Sometimes it's a deliberate sandbagging strategy, sometimes it's just standard middle-class privilege showing through where people automatically assume their questions are meaningful and important and deserving of your time and attention. Either way it's loving annoying.

That explanation seems completely unrelated to the comic. I'm not sure how that defends a comic about how unreasonable it is for a minority to stand up to a racist white lady.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Ilor posted:

Yeah, pretty much anyone who jumps into a conversation with a string of buzzwords is immediately on my radar as a provocateur or someone looking for a fight. The one thing that I've learned working in an office is that anyone who leads into a conversation with social commentary/left-right comparisons, etc isn't there to have their views challenged or their mind made up. They're there to take as large a dump as possible into the water cooler and watch as everyone makes faces as it swirls around.
There's no benefit to engagement, but sometimes saying "you're being an rear end in a top hat" and just operating around rather than through them helps. Avoidance rather than engagement is my key to dealing with it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ilor posted:

Story time:

That's how I knew the dude wasn't trying to have an a discussion in good faith, he came right out of the gate using the standard, uncreative insults and euphemisms of the alt right. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt for a moment but :lol:

Also that story is sweet and folksy as hell.

Serotonin posted:

Never debate with racists, fash and misogynists. Just tell them to gently caress off.

Also Helverins look loving boss, sorry Badcast dudes.

They actually look dorky in photos but decent in real life.

Also weighing in on the Badcast is good and this week's one was especially good and real.
Also agree with Corrode. You guys are very American. Although the Forge the Narrative guys have you beat on that one.

Helverins are very cool, I just got my set in today! And I like the Forge the Narrative guys from my IRL interactions with them, but I have a very hard time getting through the music on their podcast.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

NovemberMike posted:

That explanation seems completely unrelated to the comic. I'm not sure how that defends a comic about how unreasonable it is for a minority to stand up to a racist white lady.

Because that's a weird reading of it in our cultural context? Substitute 'sealions' for 'gamers' and you'll get the intended message.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Deified Data posted:

Are you boys telling me that for once my favorite options for an army are actually somewhat ideal and viable in combination? It's a miracle.

I always shoehorn myself into fluffy choices that I think are cool and tend to suffer for it - Nids are an especially bad trap for this, with half of their coolest units being lumbering melee monsters that are born to die. This might be the first army I build from the ground up that could hold its own in a serious game lol

I find myself slowly transitioning to a more and more gunline oriented 'nid army as the games go by as well. Working on a dozen hive guard to deal with vehicle spam. Since bigly knights are the new hotness I'm probably going to need even more anti-vehicle shootiness on top of that, like a Tyrannofex or something, to not have turn one become a game-ending army neutering shooting phase where they nuke all my anti-vehicle off the board before it gets to even move.

Flyrant spam sucked and I'm glad it's gone but I'm not really feeling the "top tier codex" thing much after it. Useful tricks, yes, still fun, and not a broken or weak book, but not the face-stomping poo poo-kicking terror book it's been made out to be now that the silly cheese list has been outlawed.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The sealion is men/whites/straights/conservatives/etc.

The point of the comic is that the offended party has all the time in the world to lobby for civilized discourse, which is a luxury that other people do not have. Also it's a sealion, the mind should not instantly go to "oppressed minority"

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
How dare you belittle the struggles my fellow sea lions have had to go through to even reach this point.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Deified Data posted:

The sealion is men/whites/straights/conservatives/etc.

The point of the comic is that the offended party has all the time in the world to lobby for civilized discourse, which is a luxury that other people do not have. Also it's a sealion, the mind should not instantly go to "oppressed minority"

The lady is making an unsolicited speciesist (I guess?) comment and she gets pissed off when someone calls her on her poo poo. Why would I think of a white dude here? It doesn't sound intentional but I've seen this play out in real life before and it's always been racist assholes making a public comment about hispanics/welfare queens and then getting pissed off when they're called on it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

bird food bathtub posted:

I find myself slowly transitioning to a more and more gunline oriented 'nid army as the games go by as well. Working on a dozen hive guard to deal with vehicle spam. Since bigly knights are the new hotness I'm probably going to need even more anti-vehicle shootiness on top of that, like a Tyrannofex or something, to not have turn one become a game-ending army neutering shooting phase where they nuke all my anti-vehicle off the board before it gets to even move.

Flyrant spam sucked and I'm glad it's gone but I'm not really feeling the "top tier codex" thing much after it. Useful tricks, yes, still fun, and not a broken or weak book, but not the face-stomping poo poo-kicking terror book it's been made out to be now that the silly cheese list has been outlawed.

The way I've been thinking about the book for the last couple days is the book is the best at what it does, but what it does is only situationally useful.

It's one of if not the most flexible books out right now but the question is whether a balance between melee and shooting even needs to exist, when one is so much more dominant than the other. A mid-level shooting army has a leg up on the best melee army in the game any day of the week. My problem is I just can't get my brain to think of Nids as a primarily shooting army when that's what they need to be.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

I recommend at least one Tyrannofex with rupture cannon. Even in a melee heavy list they're a good distraction/threat and can put out a world of hurt, especially with the Pathogenic Slime strategem. I've one-shot Russ on multiple occasions with mine. Sticking a cheap Neurothrope with Catalyst nearby can make it an even bigger pain to dislodge.

Also consider sticking some Shock Cannon Hive Guard in reserve with a Lictor for Pheromone Trail shenanigans. Keep them safe off the board then drop them in to nuke whatever vehicle you want. Follow up with Single-minded Annihilation for more tears.

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 11, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

The lady is making an unsolicited speciesist (I guess?) comment and she gets pissed off when someone calls her on her poo poo. Why would I think of a white dude here? It doesn't sound intentional but I've seen this play out in real life before and it's always been racist assholes making a public comment about hispanics/welfare queens and then getting pissed off when they're called on it.

You figured it out. This is perfect sealioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If you are white and feel marginalised then you hosed up and owned yourself irl