Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

CJacobs posted:

tbh it makes me kind of sad that they were given a perfect setup of "what if there was a normal vault that had no experiment and an untouched world outside its bulkhead" and decided to follow through with "it's exactly like every other fallout game, but now there's more players"

It is kind of funny that the reason the east coast never had a Vault City is that the inhabitants went power mad, strip mined the relatively pristine world that they inherated and blew themselves to gently caress shortly after leaving.

It's pretty much the old world in miniature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sinteres posted:

Since the idea seems to be that WV didn't get directly hit by the nukes, given how the small gap between the end of the world and this game, there should be a lot more evidence around of all the death and despair, especially since nobody else has been around to clean anything up at all. I hope they're consistent enough to have surviving tech like computers functioning more smoothly than they do after another couple hundred years of falling apart in the other games.

Bethesda guy reading this: Con... sistent? *frowns, thumbs through dictionary*

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Those were some hard hitting questions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

tbh it makes me kind of sad that they were given a perfect setup of "what if there was a normal vault that had no experiment and an untouched world outside its bulkhead" and decided to follow through with "it's exactly like every other fallout game, but now there's more players"

More correctly, "It's exactly like every other Fallout game, only the untouched world has no NPCs at all to give quests so it's just dungeon diving and killing."

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So this is a massively multiplayer bethesda game, without modding support, set in Fallout, with less emphasis on story and co-op/PVP

Hard pass for me

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

But think of all the stories you and your friends can create together.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's multiplayer, not massively

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

VATS still exists, it's now a real-time aimbot assist
Quests are delivered via found holotapes, robots, and terminals
There is no true singleplayer; other players will be in your game, like it or not

So, yeah, that's that

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
will there be SPECIAL? Is it still an RPG in the sense that you're developing more than your character's gear?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Just got to the 76 part and he's already confirmed some of the worries. It seems like you can't play alone (he says you can ignore other players), and yes no npcs, not counting AI and terminals.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vinylshadow posted:

There is no true singleplayer; other players will be in your game, like it or not

So, yeah, that's that

So did he mention when Fallout 76 Ultimate Hard Pass Edition goes on sale because I'll be buying that one.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gort posted:

It's multiplayer, not massively

Mildly Multiplayer™ (In a supposedly ultra huge map, so you get the real DayZed/H1N1/Pubgrub experience of walking around for an hour and getting sniped by some guy who saw you first)

Rinkles posted:

Just got to the 76 part and he's already confirmed some of the worries. It seems like you can't play alone (he says you can ignore other players), and yes no npcs, not counting AI and terminals.

Goddamn, I knew it :nallears:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Ignore them how? Like, let them kill you and blow up your poo poo? Or turn off PVP and have them follow you around teabagging all the stuff you kill and spamming emotes?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

So, yeah, that's that

He had a chance to say you can turn off pvp multiple times too and pretty clearly indicated that you can't by hedging.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CJacobs posted:

So did he mention when Fallout 76 Ultimate Hard Pass Edition goes on sale because I'll be buying that one.

At least Metro 3 is coming out

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

if they made it last man standing i would def upgrade to Ultimate Hard Pass from my Basic Hard Pass

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Yardbomb posted:

"Oh a fight pit bar? That sounds really co- oh it's just a shootout that gets abandoned after. A ROBOT RACETRACK? That sounds awes- oh it's just a shootout that gets abandoned after. Well.. I mean surely this witchcraft museum might have something ne- shoot monster and leave."

Whoever wasted all their really good setpieces like that should've had their poo poo slapped.

The robot racetrack was the area I had specifically in mind when I wrote that, I was so bummed out when I found it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

NofrikinfuN posted:

Ignore them how? Like, let them kill you and blow up your poo poo? Or turn off PVP and have them follow you around teabagging all the stuff you kill and spamming emotes?

"Well, we want a little drama. But we're still tweaking things." He was adamant about not being able to entirely opt out of PVP. (this is not the impression I got from him, yesterday, at all)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
can video game developers stop assuming I have friends please

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

No mods at launch, but they'll come later
Same goes for private worlds (probably to iron out the bugs features)

Sinteres posted:

He had a chance to say you can turn off pvp multiple times too and pretty clearly indicated that you can't by hedging.

Someone really needs to grab him by the shoulders and shake him, telling him-

Your Computer posted:

can video game developers stop assuming I have friends please
-that

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

No longer preordering lol. No pvp opt out or chill sessions.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

So, yeah, that's that

That's kind of good in a way. I got frustrated in fallout 4 because you spend hours talking nonsense with NPCs. At some point you just want to explore the world and get into the action.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

"We're committed to mods. But not at launch."
:frogbon:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rinkles posted:

"Well, we want a little drama. But we're still tweaking things." He was adamant about not being able to entirely opt out of PVP. (this is not the impression I got from him, yesterday, at all)

Definitely a dealbreaker.

Hopefully Starfield turns out well, but post-apocalypse is a lot more interesting than general sci-fi as settings go.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volkerball posted:

I was so mad when I found out there was no way to not aggro everyone when you walked into the combat zone.

Like most of the problems with Bethesda games, there's a mod for that.

Combat zone restored actually makes the combat zone the combat zone

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also: not playable at E3.
:frogbon:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rinkles posted:

Unless resources are infinite, you can't just ignore other players either. If there's only one place to get corn, and someone else got that corn first, then you get no corn no matter how much you want to ignore that corn stealing bastard

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If they're smart, resources will be instanced so that everyone sees their own copy of stuff you can pick up. But they're not smart, because they made Fallout 76, so who knows if the mechanics will follow this trend.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

If they're smart, resources will be instanced so that everyone sees their own copy of stuff you can pick up. But they're not smart, because they made Fallout 76, so who knows if the mechanics will follow this trend.

The first resource war was over oil and uranium. The second was over oil and aluminum.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This is one of the biggest wait and see games of recent memory for me. The world looks cool the monster design looks great and multiplayer settlement building and survival could be a lot of fun. There is still potential for decent quest design without NPCs but it also could be skin 50 mole rats over and over. It’s also probably going to be janky as hell at launch

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Azhais posted:

Like most of the problems with Bethesda games, there's a mod for that.

Combat zone restored actually makes the combat zone the combat zone

Reading about the mod, it looks like the Combat Zone really was meant to be an arena for fighting in. They just couldn't get anything about it to work, so they threw it all out and made it another dungeon.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

lol this doesn't look good at all

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RBA Starblade posted:

The first resource war was over oil and uranium. The second was over oil and aluminum.

Legends say that the secret bandit stockpile of duct tape adhesive remains hidden even to this day.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Just reissue Fallout 4 with LAN co-op built in so I can wipe out feral ghouls for my wife because they creep her out terribly.

Also, patch out the terrible story.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

NofrikinfuN posted:

Just reissue Fallout 4 with LAN co-op built in so I can wipe out feral ghouls for my wife because they creep her out terribly.

Also, patch out the terrible story.

Good news about Fallout 76 and terrible stories!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

This is one of the biggest wait and see games of recent memory for me. The world looks cool the monster design looks great and multiplayer settlement building and survival could be a lot of fun.

this is something that makes me extra disappointed, like in terms of a fallout to explore this looks like a lot of fun, but there is a really big but. Kind of gives me hope that, if this doesn't kill fallout, the next single player experience will be neat at least.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
hahahaha you genuinely can't make a private server. you have to join a random public server.

no choice of the matter for public servers. public servers are upheld by bethesda, can invite friends if not full, limited. might not be able to invite all your friends because they want servers to form their own communities. apparently this is how they are currently planning to stop big clans from conquering servers, by not allowing you to play with friends.

nuked areas remain nuked, remove all og content, replaced with harder content.

no server wipes planned.

can't opt out of pvp.

all buildings are destructible.

no npcs, no quests outside of overseer.

admitted they don't have all the multiplayer details actually worked out yet.

this is a disaster. how this passed any sort of qa is baffling to me. it's not even fully playable yet, they don't have the multiplayer figured out yet, and it launches in loving november.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

chitoryu12 posted:

Reading about the mod, it looks like the Combat Zone really was meant to be an arena for fighting in. They just couldn't get anything about it to work, so they threw it all out and made it another dungeon.

And then made a dlc with a focus on building your own arenas.

:hmmyes:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rookersh posted:

hahahaha you genuinely can't make a private server. you have to join a random public server.

no choice of the matter for public servers. public servers are upheld by bethesda, can invite friends if not full, limited. might not be able to invite all your friends because they want servers to form their own communities. apparently this is how they are currently planning to stop big clans from conquering servers, by not allowing you to play with friends.

nuked areas remain nuked, remove all og content, replaced with harder content.

no server wipes planned.

can't opt out of pvp.

all buildings are destructible.

no npcs, no quests outside of overseer.

admitted they don't have all the multiplayer details actually worked out yet.

this is a disaster. how this passed any sort of qa is baffling to me. it's not even fully playable yet, they don't have the multiplayer figured out yet, and it launches in loving november.

How do they not get that the first instinct for the worst of gamers is to destroy everything immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Guys I am *gets shot* playing alone right now *get shot* please let me experience this world solo *base gets nuked*