Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone know much about Yellow & Yangtze? T&E with hexes sounds pretty drat rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Triskelli posted:

drat straight. :colbert:

E: For the uninitiated, Imperialism 1&2 are essentially “Total War: Transport Tycoon” and focus on the overlap between war and trade in a package that looks like modern euro games.

:unsmith:

Pierzak posted:

Welp, gently caress my free time.

I personally like 2 better but think it's less balanced, you basically need some money source quick or you'll bleed dry, whereas 1 if you do badly, it's completely your fault and oh god I'm not very good at the game why did prussia, russia, france, AND the ottoman empire all declare war on me at the same time I was buddies with them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone know much about Yellow & Yangtze? T&E with hexes sounds pretty drat rad.
I played it and it was okay for what it was. It's not a literal translation and some of things it does are novel, although some of the changes it made from the base game are a bit headscratchy.

If you want the down and brutal review of the game, for me it felt like T&E for casual babies. Most of the changes to the game are to how "war" works, the only tile you can use for war is either black for internal conflicts or red for externals, which meant that if you had any other colour in your hand you were materially weaker at waging war. War is less damaging because you can only gain a single point of the colour (IIRC) and the only tiles that are ever removed are red. Wars are also more political because anyone can chip in tiles for whatever side you are in. Leaders that are out of the board give you bonuses/discounts to specific actions, so for example if you have the red leader out of the board, you can +1 to any external war.

There are any more treasures, instead there's a yellow leader/tiles. Since defeating a yellow leader meant that you gained a yellow point, there was a lot of repetitive internal fights for yellow leaders. Temples are now formed with 3 tiles instead of 2, but are only one colour.

The special thing about green tiles is that if you place one down, you can get tiles from a "market". The special thing about blue tiles is that you can place as many of them on the board (as long as they chain) in a single turn, and you can also spend 2 to remove any tile on the board (this is peasant insurrection and replaces catastrophe tiles, but it doesn't make the space dead anymore). If you have the blue leader out of the board, insurrections only cost 1 blue tile. I think there was a special action about swapping tiles associated with the green leader but we never used it.

Honestly it felt a little bit like a diluted T&E where everything is toned down so that people don't feel bad for losing a war and giving someone 5+ victory tokens. It's less brutal, the wars are less destructive, the internal fights are more repetitive and less interesting, and the composition of a kingdom is less important and it's harder to shift a larger kingdom because only red tiles matter to the strength of a kingdom. The game replaces the entire abstraction of having to fight for economic/religious/military supremacy to just one kind of supremacy: military. There is literally no reason to buy Y&Y over T&E apart from novelty and if your friends are gigantic loving babies that can't stand losing big once in a while.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Maybe I want a carebear T&E :smith:

Nah that’s a solid impression and I appreciate the in depth breakdown. I genuinely would like a somewhat simplified T&E but that doesn’t sound like it does it in a good way.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Maybe I want a carebear T&E :smith:

Nah that’s a solid impression and I appreciate the in depth breakdown. I genuinely would like a somewhat simplified T&E but that doesn’t sound like it does it in a good way.
Bear in mind that it still has a lot of the fundamentals that make T&E interesting and the review comes from someone that considers T&E to be a complete masterpiece, so my review is heavily biased by the fact that I love T&E so much. It's a decent enough game but I will still suggest "try before buy" on this. All of the T&E vets I've played it with liked it but still felt that T&E had the edge, and personally I liked it as well but it just didn't have the je ne sais quois that T&E has.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the review and I’m glad I got my old wooden T&E copy. Carebear T&E is carcassonne. Even when played “mean” the sharing/stealing is telegraphed a mile away.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tekopo posted:

I gave Unlock! a try a couple of weekends before and it wasn't so bad, so I went a bought a box and we went through one of the adventures yesterday, which was pretty fun. The only issue I had with the adventure we did was that it had a bullshit end puzzle but apart from that it mostly made sense. The only other experience I've had was with Escape the Room: Doctor Gravely's Retreat which was good but I had issues with the physical puzzles, so I kind of liked the purely logical puzzles present in Unlock!, as well as the very point-and-click adventure-esque nature of combining items together.

Which adventure did you go through? There is a distinct difference in quality in a number of them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Which adventure did you go through? There is a distinct difference in quality in a number of them.
So far I've done:

A Noside Story (pretty good but relatively easy apart from some weird things)
Squeek & Sausage (it was pretty good until the end where it reached "this puzzle is goddamn bullshit" idiocy that I don't understand how anyone would be able to work out legitimately).
The Tonipal's Treasure (really hard for 2P only, but it has one of the more interesting end puzzles we played, although there was one puzzle we just couldn't work out and we ran out of time)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Tekopo posted:

So far I've done:

A Noside Story (pretty good but relatively easy apart from some weird things)
Squeek & Sausage (it was pretty good until the end where it reached "this puzzle is goddamn bullshit" idiocy that I don't understand how anyone would be able to work out legitimately).
The Tonipal's Treasure (really hard for 2P only, but it has one of the more interesting end puzzles we played, although there was one puzzle we just couldn't work out and we ran out of time)

Haven't tried Noside Story yet.

That puzzle in S&S was something I figured out completely out of the blue - I can understand it being a big 'wtf did they expect us to think', and I don't remember how the hell I thought of it, but holy poo poo I felt so loving clever when I did.

Tonipal's Treasure is one of my favourites, specifically because of that puzzle you mentioned (and at the beginning of the game I was wondering "why the hell are these cards all hard right angles, and not the rounded corners of other games? Weird.").

Regarding bullshit puzzles, I would not recommend Island of Dr Goorse or whichever it was - we had to look up a walkthrough to solve the final puzzle and we still couldn't figure out what the hell the game expected us to do.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Haven't tried Noside Story yet.

That puzzle in S&S was something I figured out completely out of the blue - I can understand it being a big 'wtf did they expect us to think', and I don't remember how the hell I thought of it, but holy poo poo I felt so loving clever when I did.
S&S was the last one that we did and I didn't like that puzzle mostly because until that point I had made the assumption that everything we would need to solve any game would be self-contained within the cards of that adventure, so it was annoying for us to spend 10 minutes looking through the cards when the solution wasn't even present on the cards.

And yeah the Tonipal's treasure puzzle was ace and probably the most inventive one of the lot, although that puzzle in particular scales badly with less players since there's a lot of busywork involved.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Triskelli posted:

drat straight. :colbert:

E: For the uninitiated, Imperialism 1&2 are essentially “Total War: Transport Tycoon” and focus on the overlap between war and trade in a package that looks like modern euro games.

When you play at higher difficulties you will realize that it's actually better to trade for raw resources than focus on extraction- you want to expand your industry well past what you normally produce and use trade to make it up, selling off finished goods to make up the difference. It's a bigger thing in 1 than 2 but trading for raw resources, even ones you have, is very critical to keeping up a good pace. If there were an Imp3, I would want something that made it easier to make routine trades in this way over multiple turns.

They're also some of the few games that actually make the navy really important.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Panzeh posted:

When you play at higher difficulties you will realize that it's actually better to trade for raw resources than focus on extraction- you want to expand your industry well past what you normally produce and use trade to make it up, selling off finished goods to make up the difference. It's a bigger thing in 1 than 2 but trading for raw resources, even ones you have, is very critical to keeping up a good pace. If there were an Imp3, I would want something that made it easier to make routine trades in this way over multiple turns.

They're also some of the few games that actually make the navy really important.

Yeah agreed. Buy iron and coal, get minor nations to like you so they'll sell to you first, make steel, build artillery, poo poo all over the other great powers.

And also agreed w.r.t. navy, if you fall behind on galleons holy poo poo all your ports are blockaded and now you die.

God I love that loving series so much.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Tekopo posted:

And yeah the Tonipal's treasure puzzle was ace and probably the most inventive one of the lot, although that puzzle in particular scales badly with less players since there's a lot of busywork involved.

Tonipal's Treasure is a huge outlier in terms of "amount of stuff to do" difficulty - it's the only one of these that we failed to complete on time with my work group, and we weren't particularly close.

Unlock has done a good job over time of messing around with their formula; we just did Tombstone Express a couple days ago, and it had a reasonably different setup than others - kind of cheesy, but we liked the shake-up. I also liked Island of Dr. Goorse (which can reasonably be played with 4, whereas most of these are best with 2) - but I can also see how it could be frustrating and isn't a good place to start. Also note that the free print-and-play Unlock adventures aren't bad. I just did Do-Aran Dungeons and "The Elite" with the kids - neither were mind blowing but they were both fine.

The newer rounds of Exit games have been solid - I'd recommend "Forbidden Castle". The Exit games are much more gimmick prone than Unlock, and sometimes require destructive leaps of faith. Short of photocopying the book (and sometimes the cards) before the game starts, most of them are problematic to replay... but they've had some good puzzles over the series.

I'm sorry you didn't like Gravely's Retreat (which I've recommended a few times); it's very much a unique thing with the physical puzzles - we quite liked them, but I can see how someone else wouldn't.

The Werewolf Experiment is much more of a normal "escape room in box logic puzzle thing" - but it has much nicer components and makes for a satisfying "special event" puzzle (it also resets well, so it can be passed around for multiple groups to enjoy). We really liked it with my work group and I've run it 4 or 5 times since. It has always been a hit, and I think a couple guys here have bought copies to run with other groups/parties/whatever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Don’t get me wrong, I liked gravely’s retreat, although some of the physical puzzles were a bit “this solution feels like I’m going to rip this puzzle apart”. The worst thing about the game was missing a component that meant that we couldn’t resolve it legit and now I can’t resell the game

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

silvergoose posted:

In other news, Imperialism and Imperialism 2 were some of the finest strategy games ever made.

I was curious to see if these were on Steam, but I could only find this. The reviews indicate that the gameplay is as poorly thought through as the concept and title.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/845530/Imperialism_The_Dark_Continent/

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

I was curious to see if these were on Steam, but I could only find this. The reviews indicate that the gameplay is as poorly thought through as the concept and title.

You need to go back. Like, further into the past:

https://www.gog.com/game/imperialism
https://www.gog.com/game/imperialism_2_the_age_of_exploration

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

Yeah no that's definitely, definitely not the right one. Gog it up.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Any beginner advice/strategy for Mystic Vale? My wife got it for my birthday, we played that day with four people, and she completely and utterly handed our asses to us, though even she couldn't say why precisely. I'm guessing there's some sort of card component combo that kind of let her rule the game and since we were new to it, we just didn't catch it and stop her from buying the components necessary to do it. That was almost a year ago, though, and we want to play it again, but hopefully not end up with such a gloriously unbalanced playthrough this time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So I'm quickly realizing that my favorite games are almost all open design space (start with nothing and have a ton of branching paths), player driven/emergent gameplay, deterministic games (part of why I like modern abstracts like Tak so much). Stuff like:

Kemet
Tigris & Euphrates
Food Chain Magnate
Dominant Species

What other games fill that niche at various weights and player counts (aside from 18XX)? I know most Splotter stuff does, but other than TGZ I don't see myself getting any others.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
TGZ was the first one that came to mind. I know you said "No 18xxs" but I would really give 1846 a shot, it's no longer or more complex than DS.

Santiago is an older game but I think it's one of the very best player driven games out there -- it's probably my favorite negotiation game.

Triumph & Tragedy if you want to try a wargame is a really neat game that ticks all of those boxes. 3P asymmetric block game that's not just fighting, but also a lot of diplomacy and tech treeing.

Brass would be another. Maybe Argent? The hidden win cons might bother you there though.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Winsome games for sure. Chicago Express is probably their best one, but Paris Connection, German Railways, Locomotive Werks, and quite a few others are also really interesting and commercially available as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Brass would be another.

Brass Birmingham is on my hot list for sure. Played the original a good bit on iOS and excited to see the changes in that version.

taser rates posted:

Chicago Express is probably their best one

Adding this to my math trade list!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

So I'm quickly realizing that my favorite games are almost all open design space (start with nothing and have a ton of branching paths), player driven/emergent gameplay, deterministic games (part of why I like modern abstracts like Tak so much). Stuff like:

Kemet
Tigris & Euphrates
Food Chain Magnate
Dominant Species

What other games fill that niche at various weights and player counts (aside from 18XX)? I know most Splotter stuff does, but other than TGZ I don't see myself getting any others.

Mexica is a good choice for a lighter title that checks those boxes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

Kemet
Tigris & Euphrates
Food Chain Magnate
Dominant Species

Archipelago?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Kemet
Tigris & Euphrates
Food Chain Magnate
Dominant Species

Betrayal fits that description other than the deterministic and "a good game in any way" parts. ;)

A lot of abstracts would fit (go, uptown, blokus).

Tigris is probably the best of the bunch, in my opinion.

Eclipse, perhaps? The "build your own galaxy" set of games. Some civ games might qualify.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Kemet
Tigris & Euphrates
Food Chain Magnate
Dominant Species

Hansa Teutonica?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Bottom Liner posted:

Adding this to my math trade list!

Also put an amazon price alert for Chicago Express and Paris connection if you are interested in those. They’ve had some crazy sales in the past, no idea if that will happen again. I got CE for like $25.

Mini-Rails and Tulip Bubble are two other approachable lower-middleweight games that have player driven gameplay, but those both have a little more RNG than other stuff mentioned. The rng mostly gives weight to some of the risk/reward mechanics in those games though.

I think you’ve mentioned Container, but that is a title worth repeating. Not as much strategy divergence, but extremely deterministic and player-driven. There should be copies floating around after the kickstarters delivers.

18xx.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Welp, I've preordered both Hanamikoji and My Little Scythe for pickup at Gencon. I'm not even going this year, but my friend will be coming back with a couple games for me!

Uh, well, one game for me. MLS is for my niece.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Bottom Liner posted:

Kemet
Tigris & Euphrates
Food Chain Magnate
Dominant Species

Rolling stock

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Kemet
Tigris & Euphrates
Food Chain Magnate
Dominant Species

Neuland
Antiquity
Mega civilization :getin: plays 5-18!

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Fellis posted:

Also put an amazon price alert for Chicago Express and Paris connection if you are interested in those. They’ve had some crazy sales in the past, no idea if that will happen again. I got CE for like $25.

Mini-Rails and Tulip Bubble are two other approachable lower-middleweight games that have player driven gameplay, but those both have a little more RNG than other stuff mentioned. The rng mostly gives weight to some of the risk/reward mechanics in those games though.

I think you’ve mentioned Container, but that is a title worth repeating. Not as much strategy divergence, but extremely deterministic and player-driven. There should be copies floating around after the kickstarters delivers.

18xx.

Queen always overprints, and then dumps stock at super cut rates. I’ve seen Chicago express and Paris connection for $12 on Amazon pretty regularly, so definitely set an alert. They’re also both great games-Chicago express is a top ten of all time for me.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone checked out Farsight? It's got mechs, its got minis, That means I'm a sucker!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Kemet
Tigris & Euphrates
Food Chain Magnate
Dominant Species

Taluva

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone checked out Farsight? It's got mechs, its got minis, That means I'm a sucker!

Mechs
Minis
Kickstarter

= Shite. Thoroughly mediocre at best.

I'd recommend trying Abbadon
https://www.amazon.com/Abaddon-Boar...L70_&dpSrc=srch
It's only $20, and is based off of Command and Colors system (which mean it's good some decent mechanics at its core). I wouldn't say it's great but if you need to scratch that itch you can do it cheaper (and probably have more fun) with this.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 12, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arse, what makes it so meh? I'll check out abbadon though, thanks!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Flipswitch posted:

Arse, what makes it so meh? I'll check out abbadon though, thanks!

Sorry, I was speaking in general terms. Almost without fail mini laden kickstarters are not good games.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Sorry, I was speaking in general terms. Almost without fail mini laden kickstarters are not good games.
Oh for sure, I tend not to back KS's for this reason.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

When did the trend of $100+ games bring kickstarted and having absurdly overdesigned components come into its own? I was a copy of Anachrony out and could tell it was a kickstarter game before I knew what it actually was, but I think that came out years ago.

Also, for funsies, what’s the worst example? I played Rising Sun at a con last month and was annoyed that the game could actually be reasonably priced if they just calmed the gently caress down a bit on the Monsters. Then I found out the KS version involved even more plastic poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Boxman posted:

When did the trend of $100+ games bring kickstarted and having absurdly overdesigned components come into its own?

There was a huge explosion in gaming Kickstarters in 2012 (with things like Zombicide) and then a steady increase since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Boxman posted:

Also, for funsies, what’s the worst example? I played Rising Sun at a con last month and was annoyed that the game could actually be reasonably priced if they just calmed the gently caress down a bit on the Monsters. Then I found out the KS version involved even more plastic poo poo.

I've only played the plastic version with all the add-ons, and while there is an element of "Oooooo"...it never seems worth it to me. I enjoyed my time with the game without wanting to own it, but it seems to be expensive by choice.

For all the ethical concerns that have come to board gaming and embraced, the obscene over use of plastic minis and inlays is something that I've never heard been raised.