Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mojo Jojo posted:

How dare you not be able to read my mind to know what game I was talking about

(Yes)

But I did, clearly. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

You can play it on Steam if you want to try it out without dropping an obscene amount of money on it like I did recently. I missed the Kickstarter last month but apparently it's just them offloading unsold stock under the guise of player mats.

It's a primarily 2 player card game although expansions add more to that. You have a deck of 24 cards with various military and political actions to destroy your opponents fief which starts as just a palace. Fiefs can be extended with castles and lands that garrison troops used to attack opponents. Any card can be played face down as a tower to defend your fief. There's a built in timer that begins to summon vikings and you can influence them to join your side.

It's a fairly straightforward game with a limited card pool but the game encourages you to construct your own deck and all the cards interact well with each other. Like you need lands to garrison soldiers but mercenaries can also garrison soldiers. However soldiers are immune to politics whereas mercenaries can be removed or stolen. There's zero text on the cards and the meat of the game is getting into the deck building meta so I can't imagine it's an easy game to get people into.

I’ve tried it on steam a few times but didn’t find it interesting enough to buy the KS. I don’t think I’m too off base saying it plays like a fighting card game with towers set up as shields/pre emotive blocks but is much less satisfying due to the random draws. So it’s like Sakura arms but with less control. The additional Viking pool seems like a cool alternate resource idea but it just feels like a weird orthogonal attachment to a fighting game.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

while trying to wrap my head around what im gonna be doing in 18usa, it occurs to me it's a shame the game is purely financial and doesn't get into the political scrapes of the period

I looked up 1848 to see if it included any political aspect... and it's set in Australia.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CaptainRightful posted:

I looked up 1848 to see if it included any political aspect... and it's set in Australia.

There were literally zero steam railways in Australia in 1848.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There were literally zero steam railways in Australia in 1848.

Presumably some Australian designer wanted to make an 18XX game and just picked the first unused year they could find?

A game about trying to run rail systems throughout Europe in the midst of widespread revolution could be really interesting.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I wonder if an 18xx about running rail lines through the CSA would be viable. It’s certainly interesting from what I’ve read due to them hemorrhaging skilled workers and the king cotton assumption, so I wonder if you can translate that to an 18xx.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRightful posted:

Presumably some Australian designer wanted to make an 18XX game and just picked the first unused year they could find?

A game about trying to run rail systems throughout Europe in the midst of widespread revolution could be really interesting.

That game about running trains in Germany missed a trick when it didn't call itself 1488.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mr. Squishy posted:

18USA specifically has a very goofy theme, even besides its randomized metropolii. The game starts with a America with modern-day boarders and population zones, but the Baltimore and Ohio railway predates the Mexican Cession by 19 years. In history, railways were the engine of America's westward expansion, in the game they are cavorting around an already-settled land. 18USA is not really trying to say anything about the impact railway had in America, but instead is just feeding content to 1817's stock market system.
There are 18XXs that tell a historical story, instead a fable of economic development (ie bigger companies running faster trains to richer cities). 1856 has a stalking national rail, 1880 has a full-on communist revolution, 18CLE has the brown-tiles and off-board values worth less than the green due to the great depression, and 1849 you cause an earthquake in Messina with a phase change. I think 1817 in particular is depicting an unregulated boom time, hence the 20 companies and extensive stock-market manipulation.
Besides that, what are you talking about? One of the privates is a government land grant, that's politics.

The point about 18USA being an expansion to 1817 is probably the issue, since it was a pretty huge deal in western politics. I'm not a huge expert on the subject but stuff like the political wrangling around the transcontinental railroad (never mind the Mexican and Civil Wars) would be cool. I'lll have to check out some of the other ones

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jedit posted:

That game about running trains in Germany missed a trick when it didn't call itself 1488.

This post is bad

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

A new low for normally stellar forums poster Jedit, jfc.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

andrew smash posted:

This post is bad

Yeah it's not funny from a trains perspective, the actual reference is for recent neo-nazism not actual nazi germany, and it doesn't even note why 1848 was an important year.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

I’ve tried it on steam a few times but didn’t find it interesting enough to buy the KS. I don’t think I’m too off base saying it plays like a fighting card game with towers set up as shields/pre emotive blocks but is much less satisfying due to the random draws. So it’s like Sakura arms but with less control. The additional Viking pool seems like a cool alternate resource idea but it just feels like a weird orthogonal attachment to a fighting game.

It's not a dueling game, it's more like if Phil Eklund made MtG in one box. Cole Wehrle sells it better than I can.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

andrew smash posted:

This post is bad

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

A new low for normally stellar forums poster Jedit, jfc.

Huh, I don't get *internet searches 1488* oh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Yeah it's not funny from a trains perspective, the actual reference is for recent neo-nazism not actual nazi germany, and it doesn't even note why 1848 was an important year.

So I take it you've all forgotten Train, then?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

StashAugustine posted:

The point about 18USA being an expansion to 1817 is probably the issue, since it was a pretty huge deal in western politics. I'm not a huge expert on the subject but stuff like the political wrangling around the transcontinental railroad (never mind the Mexican and Civil Wars) would be cool. I'lll have to check out some of the other ones

When i was researching the companies in 'USA, I learned that the government had to step in to stop the fighting between the Denver Rio Grande and ATSF was so bad the government had to step in. Apparently they were hiring gunslingers and city toughs.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Jedit posted:

:fireman: dude

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

So, if you wanted to actually tell a joke, you would have referenced that game, and said "maybe this game should have been called" etc etc.

It still would have been tasteless, but it would have also not been whatever it was you were trying to do.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jedit posted:

Shut up dipshit

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jedit posted:

train's also a complete piece of poo poo from a historical perspective, everyone involved knew what was going on

Mr. Squishy posted:

When i was researching the companies in 'USA, I learned that the government had to step in to stop the fighting between the Denver Rio Grande and ATSF was so bad the government had to step in. Apparently they were hiring gunslingers and city toughs.

yeah that's the good poo poo, harlan county war CDG when

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Quick spirit island question. I know play is “simultaneous” but for example can you set up a move for another. Let’s say we both get to push any number of explorers and towns. Can I push them to one square then my other player push them from that square I just pushed them on to?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I feel like this is an opportunity to do what we say we like to see; a more meaningful critique instead of simply declaring "it's not fun(ny)"

With this kind of joke the input is a simple (and ideally lower effort) twist that connects together different elements inherent to the situation, resulting in a change of context that's "bigger" than the input. Bonus points for stacking contrasting or complementary elements. In short, a (relatively) small input results in a larger number of other elements suddenly mashing together in a surprising, shocking, or delightful way. The payoff is anything from a groan, to sensible chuckle, to LOUD GUFFAW and they are all acceptable payoffs.

A bad payoff is a shortfall in any of that, making the result not "worth" what went into it and in the worst case making the listener feeling cheated or tricked. (The emotional payoff shortfall or even deficit from the failed joke will be "made up" by the listener in some other manner but that's beyond the scope of this critique.)

In the 1488 joke's case, "1488" tries to draw together:

Similarity to original 1848 number
1848 = trains in Germany
1488 = Nazis
Nazis = "at least the trains run on time", also holocaust

All the right joke pieces are technically there, but the fact that there were no trains in 1488 and '1488 as Nazi dogwhistle' is itself not fully common knowledge make the connections weak, and overly reliant on the shock value of "Nazis (indirect)" + "Trains (direct)".

As a result the payoff delivered is weak, and easily overcome by elements such as work needed to go into figuring it out, bias against Nazi as a joke element, and so on.

While all the right pieces are there, it doesn't add up to much. The add-on consisting of additional backstory does nothing to address the joke's shortcomings.

These factors sum up as "it's just not very fun(ny)"

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Bum the Sad posted:

Quick spirit island question. I know play is “simultaneous” but for example can you set up a move for another. Let’s say we both get to push any number of explorers and towns. Can I push them to one square then my other player push them from that square I just pushed them on to?

Yes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

I feel like this is an opportunity to do what we say we like to see; a more meaningful critique instead of simply declaring "it's not fun(ny)"

With this kind of joke the input is a simple (and ideally lower effort) twist that connects together different elements inherent to the situation, resulting in a change of context that's "bigger" than the input. Bonus points for stacking contrasting or complementary elements. In short, a (relatively) small input results in a larger number of other elements suddenly mashing together in a surprising, shocking, or delightful way. The payoff is anything from a groan, to sensible chuckle, to LOUD GUFFAW and they are all acceptable payoffs.

A bad payoff is a shortfall in any of that, making the result not "worth" what went into it and in the worst case making the listener feeling cheated or tricked. (The emotional payoff shortfall or even deficit from the failed joke will be "made up" by the listener in some other manner but that's beyond the scope of this critique.)

In the 1488 joke's case, "1488" tries to draw together:

Similarity to original 1848 number
1848 = trains in Germany
1488 = Nazis
Nazis = "at least the trains run on time", also holocaust

All the right joke pieces are technically there, but the fact that there were no trains in 1488 and '1488 as Nazi dogwhistle' is itself not fully common knowledge make the connections weak, and overly reliant on the shock value of "Nazis (indirect)" + "Trains (direct)".

As a result the payoff delivered is weak, and easily overcome by elements such as work needed to go into figuring it out, bias against Nazi as a joke element, and so on.

While all the right pieces are there, it doesn't add up to much. The add-on consisting of additional backstory does nothing to address the joke's shortcomings.

These factors sum up as "it's just not very fun(ny)"

This is a funny post.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

As someone who had never played any 18xx games and didn't get the 1488 reference, it was actually a little amusing to see people throwing around seemingly random sets of numbers and ascribing meaning to them, but then getting offended when a particular number was brought up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

smh if you don't have the years of every major european revolution memorized

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

This but unironically.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'll admit I mostly know about 1848 from the Imperialism computer game wherein one of the main scenarios was either playing prussia or sardinia in 1848 and try to unite your country.

In other news, Imperialism and Imperialism 2 were some of the finest strategy games ever made.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Jedit posted:

:frogout:

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
The next 18xx game should really be named 42069

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Anyone planning on going to Origins this week?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Papes posted:

The next 18xx game should really be named 42069

The great weed wars of the 43rd millennium will inspire many train games, don't worry.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

silvergoose posted:

The great weed wars of the 43rd millennium will inspire many train games, don't worry.

In the grim dark future of the 43rd Millennium there is no war on drugs. There is only peace, man.

terebikun
May 27, 2016
Anyone tried that new Viticulture Visitors from the Rhine Valley expansion yet? Thoughts?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Anyone planning on going to Origins this week?

I will be there through Wednesday.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'll be there on Thursday and Saturday.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

It's not a dueling game, it's more like if Phil Eklund made MtG in one box. Cole Wehrle sells it better than I can.

That’s probably a more accurate description but I still disagree on how good it is. Force of will and other games have fixed the long standing mana problems inherent with MTG and Ortus keeps it as a feature.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I gave Unlock! a try a couple of weekends before and it wasn't so bad, so I went a bought a box and we went through one of the adventures yesterday, which was pretty fun. The only issue I had with the adventure we did was that it had a bullshit end puzzle but apart from that it mostly made sense. The only other experience I've had was with Escape the Room: Doctor Gravely's Retreat which was good but I had issues with the physical puzzles, so I kind of liked the purely logical puzzles present in Unlock!, as well as the very point-and-click adventure-esque nature of combining items together.

How do you guys rank the various different escape the room games? There's another series although the name escapes me at the moment, how's that one?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

silvergoose posted:

In other news, Imperialism and Imperialism 2 were some of the finest strategy games ever made.

drat straight. :colbert:

E: For the uninitiated, Imperialism 1&2 are essentially “Total War: Transport Tycoon” and focus on the overlap between war and trade in a package that looks like modern euro games.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Triskelli posted:

E: For the uninitiated, Imperialism 1&2 are essentially “Total War: Transport Tycoon” and focus on the overlap between war and trade in a package that looks like modern euro games.
Welp, gently caress my free time.