Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think if you can get enough distance you can shoot the button with the nerf crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bogart posted:

Mooncrash question: how do you disable Typhon Gates? I got a note that suggests you can shoot them somehow to do it, and I burned about six shotgun shells trying and failing to do it. Where I shoot gun :downs:

The M--- S---- is brutal
Shoot it with a stun gun.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Beastie posted:

Noob question:

I put like 5 hours into the game (see last post itt) before I got distracted. I love the story, I love the setting, I'm mostly spoiler free so far but whatever.

I don't normally get down with RPG's like Bioshock, SS, etc.

What do I need to know to do well in this game? I kept getting wrecked by one of the typhons that possess the little station bots.

Bullets didn't do much, emp didn't do much. What am I missing from this game? Someone have a "getting started in Prey" list?

You're not really meant to go toe-to-toe with the enemies early on. You'll eventually become a badass as you upgrade your gear and get new abilities but until then you should be sneaky, avoid enemies when possible, and if you have to kill something ambush them and use the environment to your advantage. Plain running away is always an option too if things get too hot. There's all sorts of nooks and crannies where enemies can't get to and you can lock many doors behind you.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

How do these work, by the way? I escaped with her on the shuttle, which supposedly unlocked her mission. Do I need to reset the sim and play her again to actually do it? This DLC is surprisingly fun, by the way.

Yes, you'll get a marker that starts a series of objectives next time you play as her.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beastie posted:

Noob question:

I put like 5 hours into the game (see last post itt) before I got distracted. I love the story, I love the setting, I'm mostly spoiler free so far but whatever.

I don't normally get down with RPG's like Bioshock, SS, etc.

What do I need to know to do well in this game? I kept getting wrecked by one of the typhons that possess the little station bots.

Bullets didn't do much, emp didn't do much. What am I missing from this game? Someone have a "getting started in Prey" list?

For Technopaths specifically: they are nasty, but the early ones (hardware labs exterior) are also optional. The first mandatory one is the one in the Arboretum elevator, and by then you should be tolerably buff. The stungun will wreck its pet operators, and Machine Mind will let you take them over, distracting the rest of them. EMP grenades will disable the bots, and either EMP grenades or nullwave emitters (forget which, maybe both?) will stun the Technopath itself. Don't be afraid to use your consumables, you get lots and the game is a lot harder if you're hoarding them unnecessarily.

For more general "getting started" advice:
- explore everywhere. There's lots of food and grenades and ammo and junk that you can recycle into all of the above lying around, plus, of course, neuromods. There's lots of areas you can get into before the plot directs you to them (or that the plot will never explicitly direct you to, they're just there).
- Weapons are more common than they appear; a few people have posted in the thread that they made it to the Arboretum with only the gloo gun and pistol. But you can get the stungun and shotgun as well before entering the hardware labs, and the Q-beam in the labs proper. The shotgun in particular makes a big difference in dealing with Phantoms, and the q-beam is good for dealing with beefy enemies at long range.
- Speaking of the stungun, it's a good contender for "best weapon in the game", especially once you upgrade its warmup time and shots per battery. It completely wrecks robotic enemies, and stuns everything else long enough for you to seriously damage or outright kill it at no risk to yourself.
- Minor early-game sidequest spoilers: you can get into Neuromod Fabrication quite early on, before you even visit Hardware Labs or Psychotronics, and get yourself an infinite neuromod fabrication license. You'll need to fight a Technopath to get it, which is pretty rough that early in the game and will probably require flinging grenades with abandon, but if you can pull it off this means you can get a lot more neuromods early on.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yes, you'll get a marker that starts a series of objectives next time you play as her.
Gotcha. I wonder if it changes her ending, since the cutscene when you escape on the shuttle implies that mimics either kill her or are riding along to wherever she ends up I wish I didn't have a final in a week and a half.

Also, I'm definitely starting to see that doing a full "everyone escapes in their bonus-objective run" is going to take some thinking about who goes first because of how many ways it seems like you'd need person A to repair/hack/destroy something so person B can get somewhere.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I was nearly out of time as the director and I couldn't figure out how to do her objective so I ended up by the mass driver so I activated it and escaped in the cargo box but I died due to lack of food while in earth orbit. It makes me wonder if doing it with alot of food in my inventory or as the correct character would change anything.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Has anyone unlocked the volunteer's story? I found his escape route so I could unlock it but, it requires repair...Which he does not get, are you supposed to escape normally as him, then fix it as the engineer then play him a third time?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Has anyone unlocked the volunteer's story? I found his escape route so I could unlock it but, it requires repair...Which he does not get, are you supposed to escape normally as him, then fix it as the engineer then play him a third time?

No matter what you're going to need a lot of playthroughs to do everything or to figure out the proper order in which to do everything. My guess is that you should escape ASAP with him just to unlock the engineer and to go from there.

e: I think your first playthrough as the Volunteer is basically a pseudo-tutorial. The Engineer's starting power and skillsets give her a lot more ability to move around the station and properly explore which can let her unlock several other characters.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 11, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Ravenfood posted:

No matter what you're going to need a lot of playthroughs to do everything or to figure out the proper order in which to do everything. My guess is that you should escape ASAP with him just to unlock the engineer and to go from there.

e: I think your first playthrough as the Volunteer is basically a pseudo-tutorial. The Engineer's starting power and skillsets give her a lot more ability to move around the station and properly explore which can let her unlock several other characters.

Yeah, the Volunteer's first playthrough is a tutorial since he isn't affected by the food clock on that run and can't reach some of the areas because %plot. Familiarize yourself with the systems, and be sure to use your neuromods before you reach your escape objective; it seems like they carry over, and the Volunteer, in particular, gets much easier once you have a basic psi ability.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

I was nearly out of time as the director and I couldn't figure out how to do her objective so I ended up by the mass driver so I activated it and escaped in the cargo box but I died due to lack of food while in earth orbit. It makes me wonder if doing it with alot of food in my inventory or as the correct character would change anything.

Did you not get the objective for the mass driver escape? It should have lead you to load food, water and anti rad into the container ahead of time

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It seems like there's no way for the Volunteer to complete the Mimic Portal on his own since he can't repair the door controls or hack the workstation. Right? Do I need to have the Engineer head there first?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bogart posted:

It seems like there's no way for the Volunteer to complete the Mimic Portal on his own since he can't repair the door controls or hack the workstation. Right? Do I need to have the Engineer head there first?
I haven't found any way, no. Even weirder, when I repaired it with the Engineer, I still had to hack it and I don't know which character gets hacking. I hope I didn't just have to use Machine Mind or something.

Also, Christ this game starts getting hard when the environmental effects start adding up. Cutting the tram, having to reroute power, dealing with radiation/fire/etc and so on really starts loving everything up.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 12, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It seems like the order is that the Engineer needs to fix it, then either the Security guy or the Janitor needs to hack it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
For those that have beaten it, does it expand on the og game ending at all? I really liked the og game ending and would be neat to see what they might have cooking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Had a moment of panic after loving around in the labs/volunteer quarters for a bit and then heading back to the crushed in tunnel that I came through and not being able to fit back through. Thought I'd hosed everything up for myself until eventually I was able to force my way out using the Gloo Gun on the floor to push me back enough to get clear.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
You can fit through the crushed in tunnel!!??

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Havent played in ages, this is really fun.

Remind me: How do I deal with a shielded Telepath? Nothing I had available seemed to do much of anything and I had no stungun ammo which always is a safe bet otherwise.

I do love that resources/options are more constrained. At least in the beginning. Makes that grenade youd never use in the full game much more important.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Havent played in ages, this is really fun.

Remind me: How do I deal with a shielded Telepath? Nothing I had available seemed to do much of anything and I had no stungun ammo which always is a safe bet otherwise.

I do love that resources/options are more constrained. At least in the beginning. Makes that grenade youd never use in the full game much more important.

Kill all the linked humans attached to it and the shield should drop.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gadzuko posted:

Did you not get the objective for the mass driver escape? It should have lead you to load food, water and anti rad into the container ahead of time

Nope I skipped all that.

redreader posted:

You can fit through the crushed in tunnel!!??

If your talking about the crushed in tunnel by the command post, you can use the director abilities to turn into something small.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 12, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was talking about this one:

With the first guy you get to play as. I was able to crouch and walk through fine, and explored a shitload of the area. I could have transitioned via the tram to another area but I decided to head back and complete the first objective, and when I got back to the tunnel from the other side I couldn't seem to crouch through anymore until I turned around and used the gloo gun to basically nudge me out of there.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yea that's the one. You can also access the other side of the crushed tunnel from "one" of the other exits in the crater. the lab. Its just a character can use abilities there to make it a shortcut. There's alot of different paths for each character and there's alot of different ways around each obstacle.

So in the labs there's kinda big staircase. I had a plan to go there first and it turns out this time the staircase was destroyed and I didn't have a gloo gun. After some searching of the room I found a climbable path. Even though the whole game is kinda small it is thought out pretty well.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 12, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bogart posted:

It seems like the order is that the Engineer needs to fix it, then either the Security guy or the Janitor needs to hack it.
So I tried this. Security guy didn't have hacking, and I still haven't unlocked Janitor. Anybody have any idea how to escape with the Volunteer's story objective?

Also, tip. Once everything goes to poo poo and you start losing power/trams, its totally worth spending the 2k points for control modules. Make it a priority to repair them and they provide nice areas to stash things for following runs.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

So I tried this. Security guy didn't have hacking, and I still haven't unlocked Janitor. Anybody have any idea how to escape with the Volunteer's story objective?

Also, tip. Once everything goes to poo poo and you start losing power/trams, its totally worth spending the 2k points for control modules. Make it a priority to repair them and they provide nice areas to stash things for following runs.

you need the janitor. I like buying controls, but i wouldnt buy more than 1. theres a broken repair bot in one of the buildings on the crater that always has a control module. i like picking that up and going to the station to restore power with my first character at the start of every reset.

DLC is awesome and I'm happy to have more Prey. The structure was strange at first, but once you get used to it, its really great to learn different strategies with each character, especially ones that you wouldn't use otherwise.

I wonder how the new multiplayer mode will play, it looks pretty intense.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I couldn't get the Director's power generator to get gummed up with Gloo to de-electrify the water around the terminal so I ended up facetanking it. All you need is to read Alex's email and hit the button to open up a call with him, the latter you can do from your perch on the desk. I thought it was smooth sailing after that but it wanted Phantom Genesis 2 :negative:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is there any way to reduce/eliminate the corruption mechanic? I really don't like playing with a timer hanging over my head all the time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

ymgve posted:

Is there any way to reduce/eliminate the corruption mechanic? I really don't like playing with a timer hanging over my head all the time.

Pink hourglasses reduce corruption. The timer's pretty generous anyway.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Bogart posted:

Pink hourglasses reduce corruption. The timer's pretty generous anyway.

Pink hourglasses seem very rare, and also it's not generous enough with my "pick up anything that's not nailed down" playing style.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

ymgve posted:

Pink hourglasses seem very rare, and also it's not generous enough with my "pick up anything that's not nailed down" playing style.

Rare to find, but they can be crafted for two mineral and two synthetic ingame, or bought for 1500 sim points once you find the bluebrint

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Hipster Occultist posted:

Rare to find, but they can be crafted for two mineral and two synthetic ingame, or bought for 1500 sim points once you find the bluebrint

Ah cool, didn't know it had a blueprint. Need to find that now...

Also the tentacle nests seem to be immune to guns? How do you kill them with a non-PSI character?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ymgve posted:

There's a crafting plan for them, it's pretty cheap to make plus can buy them at the start for 1500 bucks each. Once you know the layout of all the areas it gets a lot easier to hoover up everything in sight, item spawn locations stay the same it's just the items themselves that are random (although some are guaranteed) so you at least know where to look.

e: tentacle nests should die in 3 or 4 pistol shots, once they're active they're a pain because the tentacles block a lot of shots but you just have to find the right angle. Better to kill them before they activate

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ymgve posted:

I think they want you to play one character at a time and use basically the entire timer if you need too. When you start adding in characters per run it gets really really hard. I usually get stuck fighting the moon shark and whatever else spawns in the first area and am unable get further.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

I think they want you to play one character at a time and use basically the entire timer if you need too. When you start adding in characters per run it gets really really hard. I usually get stuck fighting the moon shark and whatever else spawns in the first area and am unable get further.

You're not supposed to fight the moon shark. Just avoid it. Don't walk on the surface, crouch and stay still if it surfaces near you and it goes away on its own.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
But it always has an hour glass and precious other materials.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It is a bit odd that they give you a neuromod blueprint in this mode. It's really tempting to just use all the credits on neuromods to quickly "level up" your characters.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

ymgve posted:

It is a bit odd that they give you a neuromod blueprint in this mode. It's really tempting to just use all the credits on neuromods to quickly "level up" your characters.

Yeah I've only done two runs and don't have everyone unlocked but this seems like a safe way to go.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Well yeah, it's good if you can do it easily but if it's slowing you down then it's not really worth it, right? It'll always be there at the end of the run once you've accomplished whatever you were going for.

ymgve posted:

This is what I'm doing. It would take ages to level everyone up just relying on found neuromods, I buy a gun or two with some ammo, maybe a couple chipsets, dump the rest into mods.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

How'd you end up killing it? Just unloaded on it with someone? I've just been avoiding it the whole time.

ymgve posted:

They recommend doing this in a loading screen tip, actually.

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah, each simulation seems like its designed for accomplishing a specific goal, eg, this sim I'm going to unlock X character and/or complete one story quest/escape in a new way. I also learned a few locations for guaranteed gold chests which I usually hit up each run, then reset. Then once you've done everything, you can try for the "everyone gets out at once" plan. The main reason I suggest escaping at least once with every method/person before trying for the all-in-one is that each escape method has extra steps that you can skip the second time around, like having to find the pilot connectomes and a neuromod for the Shuttle escape. Being able to skip those saves time.

Things I think you need to do for each escape: You have to repair or climb up a grav shaft for the mass driver. Repair and hack for the mimic portal. Otherwise, you're free to go about them in any order. For extra fun, I think I'll try to do each one according to their "story" exit if I can.

E: everyone gets a stun gun and ammo just so I can rush past gates if I need to.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 12, 2018

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ymgve posted:

Ah cool, didn't know it had a blueprint. Need to find that now...

Also the tentacle nests seem to be immune to guns? How do you kill them with a non-PSI character?

counter-intuitively, the psi-blade is a great weapon for the non-psi characters that absolutely shreds those nests. Its great for those characters because the alt-fire on it that one-hit-kills the nests takes 20 psi energy which is how much your character will always regen to. So on characters where they don't use their energy on any other abilities, they pretty much always have that alt-fire in their back pocket which is usually needed since they dont have psi powers.

and ya, the corruption mechanic is no big deal at all, especially once you can buy the hourglasses before each run. They also drop from every big creature like weavers or technopaths. When i did my 5 character run, i never went above corruption level 2 and im pretty sure i still had one in my inventory on my last character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ravenfood posted:

How'd you end up killing it? Just unloaded on it with someone? I've just been avoiding it the whole time.

Things I think you need to do for each escape: You have to repair or climb up a grav shaft for the mass driver. Repair and hack for the mimic portal. Otherwise, you're free to go about them in any order. For extra fun, I think I'll try to do each one according to their "story" exit if I can.

The director and the engineer seem like the best ones for it. I'm pretty sure the security guard could do it too with combat focus and some trickery. Haven't tried it with the test subject or the last locked character. I'm pretty sure the janitor is not just a janitor.

I've gotten alot further now, on my 3rd character in a run. I think you wanna spend alot of time with 2 characters repairing and hacking things. You get more stuff you can do in the simulation the more orders you follow and they allow you to break it kinda. You have points from each run to outfit each new character with a shotgun and supplies and you also get a summonable robot that can hold items for your between the runs. So I have just been filling him up at right before I escape now so it passes over the items I don't use. The further you go also increases the quality of weapons you get also. Finding alot of weapons almost fully upgraded.

I haven't started a new run since finishing some characters to see if they get more objectives and make them go run around further each time. I wouldn't be surprised if the way they escape the first time is not how they actually escaped. As you do more orders also makes the simulation harder. I kinda think you will be able to escape with all characters before you finish the game.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 12, 2018