Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Technically mods weren't available at launch for Skyrim or Fallout 4, either. But I dunno, the more I see about this game the less interested I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Emerson Cod posted:

Technically mods weren't available at launch for Skyrim or Fallout 4, either. But I dunno, the more I see about this game the less interested I am.

Mods (if they even happen) are going to be creation club only, no way will they ever support outside mods.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Guys I am *gets shot* playing alone right now *get shot* please let me experience this world solo *base gets nuked*

yeahhhhh this is not great news today

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This sounds like an absolute fuckin catastrophe of a game already.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

hahahaha you genuinely can't make a private server. you have to join a random public server.

no choice of the matter for public servers. public servers are upheld by bethesda, can invite friends if not full, limited. might not be able to invite all your friends because they want servers to form their own communities. apparently this is how they are currently planning to stop big clans from conquering servers, by not allowing you to play with friends.

nuked areas remain nuked, remove all og content, replaced with harder content.

no server wipes planned.

can't opt out of pvp.

all buildings are destructible.

no npcs, no quests outside of overseer.

admitted they don't have all the multiplayer details actually worked out yet.

this is a disaster. how this passed any sort of qa is baffling to me. it's not even fully playable yet, they don't have the multiplayer figured out yet, and it launches in loving november.

Nukes and buildings causing and having permanent damage is really interesting and seems specifically to lead to player-made nightmare hovels like Megaton. That's about it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Before E3 I joked about this game being like Metal Gear Survive

I'm now realizing that was way too optimistic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RBA Starblade posted:

Nukes and buildings causing and having permanent damage is really interesting and seems specifically to lead to player-made nightmare hovels like Megaton. That's about it.

What's that based on? "all buildings are destructible" is a bold claim, among others.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rinkles posted:

What's that based on? "all buildings are destructible" is a bold claim, among others.

Todd Howard's talking right now so I guess Rookersh copied it?

But I mean that idea is really cool and would be fun in a permanent server giant world thing where a year later the map is unrecognizable and scorched by two sides of degenerate raiders, but literally everything else in that post goes counter to that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rookersh posted:

hahahaha you genuinely can't make a private server. you have to join a random public server.

no choice of the matter for public servers. public servers are upheld by bethesda, can invite friends if not full, limited. might not be able to invite all your friends because they want servers to form their own communities. apparently this is how they are currently planning to stop big clans from conquering servers, by not allowing you to play with friends.

no server wipes planned.

can't opt out of pvp.

this is a disaster. how this passed any sort of qa is baffling to me. it's not even fully playable yet, they don't have the multiplayer figured out yet, and it launches in loving november.

Where you getting some of this info or are you fanning the flames?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Todd Howard's talking right now so I guess Rookersh copied it?

But I mean that idea is really cool and would be fun in a permanent server giant world thing where a year later the map is unrecognizable and scorched by two sides of degenerate raiders, but literally everything else in that post goes counter to that.

Oh, I missed his post. None of that was in the Keighley interview.

Where's it from Rookersh?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rookersh posted:

no server wipes planned.

can't opt out of pvp.

Aw geez, that's not great.

At first I thought this game just wasn't for me, but if all of this is true I'm not sure if it's going to be for anyone.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So if what gets blown up stays blown up forever does this mean new players a few months down the line will exit the vault and be swarmed by Ultra Deathclaws and people in X-01 gear?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

So if what gets blown up stays blown up forever does this mean new players a few months down the line will exit the vault and be swarmed by Ultra Deathclaws and people in X-01 gear?

That hasnt been confirmed yet, but is exactly how Rust played.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Judge Tesla posted:

A swarm of half-crazed, half-naked raiders in mostly broken X-01 gear desperate for the scraps you get from the tutorial would again be really rad if it was basically paired with anything else.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

I give it a week from launch.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Judge Tesla posted:

That sounds miserable. I'm still counting on a fan riot to make this more single player friendly after launch, but who knows.

Hosting your own instance that you could permanently mold like that would rule though.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Judge Tesla posted:

It'll be like the opening of Fallout 2

Vault guy: "Hi there :wave:"

Player: ":commissar:"

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Where you getting some of this info or are you fanning the flames?

mostly the howard speech/last night.

semi fanning in some parts. private servers will come later with mods, but upfront you have to play with other people.

nuked areas don't reset, and if a base is nuked it's destroyed. you can rebuild it with camp which is how they are getting around the "you can't lose things.". all buildings are destructible actually is me not thinking of how that'd read, player buildings are destructible, environment is destructible through nukes. maybe also through players though, because how else are you getting mats to build your own camps.

outright said you can't opt out of pvp.

he said it'll have quests. namely the overseer will give quests. you will also find stuff in the world as you explore, but that's not really quests.

there's potential here, but a lot of it requires bethesda to have a steady hand. currently they don't even have the multiplayer solid yet. he just said multiplayer is unfinished and being worked on for their multiplayer based game coming out in november.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Judge Tesla posted:

If its anything like ark they'll just wall it off with turrets so the murdering of newbies can be fully automated

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Buckets posted:

It'll be like the opening of Fallout 2

Vault guy: "Hi there :wave:"

Player: ":commissar:"

lmao

I forgot about that opener, that is absolutely what will happen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rookersh posted:

semi fanning in some parts. private servers will come later with mods, but upfront you have to play with other people.

nuked areas don't reset, and if a base is nuked it's destroyed. you can rebuild it with camp which is how they are getting around the "you can't lose things.". all buildings are destructible actually is me not thinking of how that'd read, player buildings are destructible, environment is destructible through nukes. maybe also through players though, because how else are you getting mats to build your own camps.

he said it'll have quests. namely the overseer will give quests. you will also find stuff in the world as you explore, but that's not really quests.

there's potential here, but a lot of it requires bethesda to have a steady hand. currently they don't even have the multiplayer solid yet. he just said multiplayer is unfinished and being worked on for their multiplayer based game coming out in november.

stop embellishing poo poo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hm...now we need to add Fallout 4 to that, multiply that by four, and see how much of it overlaps with the Capitol Wasteland

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Oh cool so most was pulled out of your rear end.

Logic
Jan 8, 2009
Well I can't wait for this. I've always wanted a MP Fallout. Raiding bases as a team and working together to build a community sounds like a blast. It does sound like trolling will be easy but Bethesda a smart company they will listen to feedback and make changes as needed. I can't remember the last public beta they ran? Obviously they know they need a large test base to get it right. This is a drastic change from other Fallouts, so I get the backlash but Skyrim and the new Space RPG is on the way and both will be single player.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vinylshadow posted:

Hm...now we need to add Fallout 4 to that, multiply that by four, and see how much of it overlaps with the Capitol Wasteland

:hmmyes:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vinylshadow posted:

Wouldn't have to be an exact square increase that'd be near the capital, could just follow the Appalachian trail.

BULBASAUR posted:

i wonder what kind of RNG 'fallout boxes' you can buy

Ideally this can happen with them

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 11, 2018

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Logic posted:

Bethesda a smart company they will listen to feedback and make changes as needed.

I have bad news for you. Bethesda is not a smart company - the Fallout fanbase doesn't seem to have wanted an always-online multiplayer ARKlike. We wanted either another full-on Fallout RPG with the gunplay quality of F4, the environmental quality of F3, and the writing quality of FNV. We - or at least, I - would have been fine with a Fallout that features optional drop-in co-op.

Instead, we're getting a Fallout ARKlike destined to be a dead pile of poo poo within a year, because getting nuked by randoms sucks.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Is it true that there's no npcs

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BULBASAUR posted:

You have to pay Bethbucks to open locked containers with loot in them

Congratulations, you paid $5 for pre-war money and 5 bottlecaps

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's going to be interesting to see how much they change (or not change) before release. It sort of sounds like they don't quite know what the game is going to be like themselves, which is weird considering the release date.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zelder posted:

Is it true that there's no npcs

Yes, straight from the Todd. Not counting ai and terminals and such.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
yea if it's console they basically have ~3 months before they have to submit the game to the 1st parties

they know the details, they just want to :pcgaming:drip market:pcgaming: them over the next few months

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Yes, straight from the Todd. Not counting ai and terminals and such.

Which is weird, because whatever happened in WV it doesn't make sense that it'd be a complete ghost town.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

dragonshardz posted:

I have bad news for you. Bethesda is not a smart company

I'm p sure Skyrim and Fallout 4 made over a billion dollars each, so they're doing something right

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

2house2fly posted:

I'm p sure Skyrim and Fallout 4 made over a billion dollars each, so they're doing something right

That means we're dumb, not that they're smart

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rinkles posted:

Which is weird, because whatever happened in WV it doesn't make sense that it'd be a complete ghost town.

Well the *~lore~* is that about a week after the war giant black clouds rained toxic rain all over the world, killing anyone who survived the nukes and didn't get to safety in the meantime

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Well the *~lore~* is that about a week after the war giant black clouds rained toxic rain all over the world, killing anyone who survived the nukes and didn't get to safety in the meantime

You sure? So everyone in FO1's wastes and cities is descended from earlier Vault people? I haven't played in a while but that seems incorrect to me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rinkles posted:

You sure? So everyone in FO1's wastes and cities is descended from earlier Vault people? I haven't played in a while but that seems incorrect to me.

That's what happened according to the Survivalist in Honest Hearts anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rinkles posted:

Fallout lore is filled with stocked bunkers and fortresses and caves and things where people managed to survive the End and its aftermath without the help of the Enclave Vault-Tec.

Many ghouls came from these populations, but not all of the people who took shelter that way became ghouls.