Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Rand alPaul posted:

:lol: at all the Clinton 90's ghouls killing the party again in 2020.

oh no who could have seen this coming :geno:

wait no don't stop :geno:

dissolve the democratic party*

*while the above post was meant for humorous purposes, please understand that i want the entire trump administration, most republicans and democrats tried for war crimes and genocide. thank you for your patience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Rand alPaul posted:

:lol: at all the Clinton 90's ghouls killing the party again in 2020.

grift... grift never changes

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

seriously though if you don't think the idea of the most corrupt potus in modern history giving the most corrupt presidential nominee a pardon is hilarious idk what's wrong with you

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/MissJules5x/status/1006215888381542400?s=19

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

uhhh

didn't the obama admin do this with DOMA? and wasn't that applauded?

Yes almost like doing bad things is bad while doing good things is good

I mean, you do realize you're making a :decorum: argument, right?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
maybe obama could have repealed DOMA instead

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i really dont think cynthia nixon will win but i would absolutely love for her to because it would completely undermine the fabric of the existing democratic structure

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
'Joe Biden endorses Andrew Cuomo' is both one of the most predictable and simultaneously most frustrating headlines you could write. Pure succ

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

anime was right posted:

i really dont think cynthia nixon will win but i would absolutely love for her to because it would completely undermine the fabric of the existing democratic structure

It'd be nice in both the larger sense of kicking centrist lanyards further into tailspin and in the immediate because gently caress Cuomo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I guess Obama didn't realize that no elections wins means no real political legacy for anything he did lol.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

anime was right posted:

I would absolutely love for Cynthia to be locked out of the primary by the ny bad dems and then run as an independent and win

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

bad dems applauded N0Bama for that DOMA poo poo when he could have pushed for it to be repealed and coupled that with a strong public, early stance supporting gay marriage. then ZERObama got Bidened about supporting gay marriage in private so he was forced into supporting gay marriage and that also made him look like a whipped rear end pansy, especially considering the trajectory of public opinion at the time. poo poo was obviously getting popular, it's like "look fucker, just be a hero-hearted champion"

also, the bourgeois liberals loving LOVED obama handling it this way. they loved it because he was utilizing the law like a cudgel in a way that they perceived as righteous and these nerd asses love nothing more than utilizing law and finance to score political points. just an aside to point out once again that we are all hosed in this poo poo rear end iron prison of an economy at least in part because 0bamghazi data doofuses and high achievers were so busy scoring meaningless procedural political points that the nation had to elect a lovely sign that reads "gently caress you I have no respect for the game you are playing" as president

anyway, it is funny that Bad dems who loved that Obama let DOMA languish defenselessly and pundits hacks and media jerks think it's 4D chess and that Trump can do it for the mandate and it is a constitutional crisis.

gently caress the individual mandate, gently caress obamacare, don't (at) me libs

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 22:07 on Jun 11, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rastor posted:

I would absolutely love for Cynthia to be locked out of the primary by the ny bad dems and then run as an independent and win

Can't wait to get purged from the rolls when I vote for Ocasio Cortez and Nixon in 2 weeks.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Matt Zerella posted:

Can't wait to get purged from the rolls when I vote for Ocasio Cortez and Nixon in 2 weeks.

Just to be clear ---

Ocasio Cortez vs Crowley -----> June 26th

Nixon vs. Cuomo -----> September 13th

Federal & statewide offices have different primary dates

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

By 5-4 Supreme Court decision purging the rolls is 100% legal and all democrats know if it's legal there's nothing wrong with it

B B
Dec 1, 2005

has this thread talked about how hilarious bill clinton's new book is? because it sounds really loving funny

https://newrepublic.com/article/148835/bill-clintons-new-thriller-final-villain-feminism

quote:

“Do not ever test me again, Andrei,” the president of the United States says to the Russian premier, now that the crisis is over. “Oh, and stay out of our elections. After I speak tomorrow, you’ll have all you can handle to keep rigging your own. Now get the hell out of my country.”

So concludes The President Is Missing, a new thriller co-written by James Patterson and Bill Clinton. It is filled with “details only a President could know,” the dust jacket boasts. A fictional president named Jonathan Duncan narrates most of the book, apart from some interludes told from the perspective of assassins and cavorting cyberterrorists. Duncan, like Clinton, is from the South; he’s very concerned with election-rigging; he hates Russia; he thinks the media is too polarized; he’s a great friend to Israel. He’s a perfect hero, liberal in his sympathies but with the war-and-torture bona fides of five John McCains.

President Duncan is a fantasy fusion of Bill and Hillary, minus the scandals, shot full of popularity steroids, then mashed into an action movie complete with shootouts and helicopters and sexy Sarajevan villains. It’s impossible to know who wrote what, but the whole thing is Pattersonian in the extreme. This is not a subtle book. It clobbers the reader over the head with its prose and with its meaningful lines (“I know that most cops, most of the time, do the best they can”). The President Is Missing presents a benign fantasy of the presidency, an alternative universe where a Clintonian figure not only occupies the Oval Office but has also thwarted the Russkies—until a gendered twist torpedoes all the fun.

The basic plot is fine. President Duncan meets a mysterious couple—are they terrorists?—who somehow know a code word to which only his inner circle is privy. He realizes there is a traitor in his administration. Worse still, the couple alert him that Suliman Cindoruk, nastiest member of the nasty (but fictional) Sons of Jihad, is poised to destroy the American internet with a virus. Code-named “Dark Ages,” the plot aims at America’s Achilles’ heel—its own greatness.

As a character explicates, “One of the great ironies of the modern age ... is that the advancements of mankind can make us more powerful and yet more vulnerable at the same time.” And why? “The reason is reliance. Our society has become completely reliant on technology. The Internet of Things—you are familiar with the concept?’”

The president is familiar. An internetless America will be an America without banking, courts of law, medical care, or clean water. The water system in Los Angeles is in fact the first thing to go. “So, what—this will be Flint, Michigan, all over again?” the president asks. “It will be Flint, Michigan,” a flack replies, “multiplied by a factor of one hundred forty.”

The shoehorning of contemporary references into this novel makes for an atmosphere of corny wish fulfillment and implied Trump-bashing. When the inevitable happy ending ties The President Is Missing together in a bow, President Duncan makes a rousing speech to the American people. It’s the speech that Clinton might like to make, were he still leader of the free world. It is about election reform, lead-free drinking water, Dreamers, climate change, the opioid crisis. And when everything’s done and dusted, Duncan says, he’s even saved the newspaper business: “The mainstream media coverage, from right to left, has become more straightforward, not so much because of my speech but because, at least for now, Americans are moving away from extreme media towards outlets that offer more explanation and fewer personal attacks.” Happy day indeed.

This president is just a regular guy. In a long undercover scene, Duncan goes to a baseball game in disguise. “Ordinarily I’d be like a kid in a candy store here,” he narrates. “I’d grab a Budweiser and a hot dog.” He would do that because “there is no finer beverage than an ice-cold Bud.” Furthermore, “no food ever tasted so good as a dog with mustard at a ball game, not even my mama’s rib tips with vinegar sauce.”

This is a man of the people, a man who loves mustard, not a coddled aristocrat who owns hotels! Unlike Clinton, he also served in the armed forces. Walking through the streets of Washington, D.C., with fake eyebrows drawn on, Duncan takes pity upon a homeless Gulf War vet, purchasing him a turkey sandwich and bestowing a kind ear upon his troubles. “God bless you,” this military Tiny Tim says. Then he squeezes the president’s hand with “the still-firm grip of a warrior.” Good thing he got him that sandwich. “Even on the bad days,” Duncan muses, “there’s always something good you can do.”

The undercover president moralizes on all sorts of subjects as he walks through his nation. He sees two cops arresting a black man. “I know that there are bad cops, just as there are bad actors in every profession,” the president observes. “And I know that there are cops who think of themselves as good cops but, even if unconsciously, see a black man in a T-shirt and jeans as more threatening than a white man dressed the same way.” It’s extraordinary, the way that Duncan just happens upon such rich and potent symbols of the American experience, the kind of raw truth that he just can’t see while ensconced in the White House. He’s just a regular guy, after all, and that’s what makes him like ribs so much—I mean, that’s what makes him such a good commander in chief.

The President Is Missing is not a good book, but it is a fun one. There’s no reason for it to be 500 pages long. Finishing it, you have that feeling of opening a bag of potato chips that is only a quarter of the way full. Why put so little into something so big? The plot arc is simple, the details are fun, the solution to the mystery is really obvious, and it’s way too long. That doesn’t mean I don’t like potato chips.

But there’s an ickiness to this book, and it lies in gender politics. It’s just not possible to engage with Bill Clinton as a public figure without thinking about his relationship with the 22-year-old Monica Lewinsky. America is undergoing a revision of its original interpretation of that incident, one in which people newly recognize her youth and her vulnerability. Wrong was done by her, and that is more widely understood. Clinton can’t expect readers not to think about that. And yet during the publicity tour for the book, he has responded to questions about Lewinsky with great churlishness.

To boot, the book ends with the revelation that the villain all along was feminism. The following is a spoiler, so look away if you wish to read The President Is Missing with all bells and whistles intact. “How could you do this?” the president asks the traitor in his midst, once he’s figured it all out. The answer, when it comes, is a surprise to him. The traitor’s face is “twisted up in agony and bitterness,” full of resentment. “Says the man who gets to be president,” she replies. “Says the man who didn’t see his political career tanked” over one little mistake.

Having nurtured a grudge against the sexist media for years, one of Duncan’s closest advisers loses her entire moral compass. Alas, the things that women do to a president! It’s a weird old clang, and it’s even weirder that nobody in Clinton’s camp—for I can’t believe this book didn’t receive the eyeballs of many a sycophantic aide, prior to publication—thought it was weird. Women’s resentment does have an extraordinarily long shelf-life, as Clinton himself is finding out. But that doesn’t mean he should have written a novel about it.

https://newrepublic.com/article/148835/bill-clintons-new-thriller-final-villain-feminism

B B has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Jun 11, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

Just to be clear ---

thats dumb as balls

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Shear Modulus posted:

thats dumb as balls

yes

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GalacticAcid posted:

Just to be clear ---

thanks fren

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Shear Modulus posted:

thats dumb as balls

New Yawk baybeeeee

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
September 13th is a Thursday, another fun idiosyncrasy this year

(they didn't want to conflict with 9/11 and Rosh Hashanah)

if peralta is your state senator, he'll have a challenger this year as well (jessica ramos)

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

B B posted:

has this thread talked about how hilarious bill clinton's new book is? because it sounds really loving funny

love when adults attempt to talk about adult things but use children's words instead

"But there’s an ickiness to this book, and it lies in gender politics."

Shear Modulus posted:

thats dumb as balls

not if you get two days off work because your place of employment is a polling place

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Over Easy posted:

not if you get two days off work because your place of employment is a polling place

unfair, i never got off of school when my elementary school was a polling place

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

unfair, i never got off of school when my elementary school was a polling place

you should have joined the union

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
my voting place is a school and it remains in session on election day

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

My school goes year round due to its special nature so we get some leeway in the calendar department

for example, we are in school for what is technically the 17-18 year until the 29th whereas most other schools get out on the 27th (some even on the 22nd)

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 22:32 on Jun 11, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yes almost like doing bad things is bad while doing good things is good

I mean, you do realize you're making a :decorum: argument, right?

no, i'm not wj. how do you get paid 6 figures when you're that stupid?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/gangster_popeye/status/1006287327960809472?s=19

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress Democrats

gently caress Democrats right in the ear

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

B B posted:

It's hilarious how Bill Clinton is still seen as elder statements by Third Way bad dems and they continue to try to silence Monica Lewinsky.

Like how she was invited to dem event but got banned from the event when the organizers learned the Bill was on the speakers list.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/mattmarkezich/status/1005677650663403520

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

B B posted:

Is he literally writing wish-fulfilment fanfiction about himself? Jesus gently caress that's pathetic.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

:ironicat:

For people not familiar with initiative #77

https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/05/03/everything-you-need-to-know-about-initiative-77-and-the-tipped-minimum-wage/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GalacticAcid posted:

we are gonna run into each other and not realize it aren't we?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Is he literally writing wish-fulfilment fanfiction about himself? Jesus gently caress that's pathetic.

and hillary is the villain lmao

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

They read large chunks of it in the new Chapo Trap House episode.

There's a section where President Duncan dons a disguise (including fake eye brows) so he can take a walk around D.C., during which he buys a homeless veteran a sandwich and listens to his troubles.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

B B posted:

They read large chunks of it in the new Chapo Trap House episode.

There's a section where President Duncan dons a disguise (including fake eye brows) so he can take a walk around D.C., during which he buys a homeless veteran a sandwich and listens to his troubles.

lmao

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tipping is inherently counter-revolutionary, especially in a capitalist society.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Matt Zerella posted:

Wouldn’t be shocked if we already have lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Matt Zerella posted:

GalacticAcid posted:

Wouldn’t be shocked if we already have lol
Come to my BBQ this Saturday.

• Locked thread