Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Deakul posted:

The store page is already up. :ssh:

Write your own epic odyssey and become a legendary Spartan hero. Forge your destiny in a world on the brink of tearing itself apart. Influence how history unfolds in an ever-changing world shaped by your choices.
Features

LEGENDARY SPARTAN HERO - Embark on your journey from outcast to legendary Spartan hero.
ANCIENT GREECE AWAITS - Explore an entire country full of unexpected encounters in untamed environments and bustling ancient cities.
CHOOSE YOUR PATH - Your choices shape the world around you. Play in a living world that constantly reacts to your every decision.
FIGHT EPIC BATTLES - Charge into epic clashes between Sparta and Athens in battles pitting 150v150 soldiers against each other.
SAIL THE AEGEAN SEA - Recruit crewmembers and customize your ship as you explore and battle your way on the open seas.

This makes me think that the PC is the child who gets thrown away and the primary antagonist will be Sparta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
They're doing it on the live stream now!

Socrates confirmed as NPC!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh my lort shut up and take my :20bux::20bux::20bux: already so I can be this amazing Greek lady.
:swoon:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

:hist101::hist101::hist101::hist101::hist101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_SJZSAtLBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSw6JeHge1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbo4XfT0lJU

Yeah, this looks pretty fantastic holy poo poo.
It's so colorful.

edit: And it looks like your not-wristblade, Leonidas' broken spear, is a piece of eden... that's cool as poo poo, you get a p.o.e. right out of the gate presumably.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 11, 2018

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Deakul posted:

Write your own epic odyssey and become a legendary Spartan hero. Forge your destiny in a world on the brink of tearing itself apart. Influence how history unfolds in an ever-changing world shaped by your choices.
Features

LEGENDARY SPARTAN HERO - Embark on your journey from outcast to legendary Spartan hero.
ANCIENT GREECE AWAITS - Explore an entire country full of unexpected encounters in untamed environments and bustling ancient cities.
CHOOSE YOUR PATH - Your choices shape the world around you. Play in a living world that constantly reacts to your every decision.
FIGHT EPIC BATTLES - Charge into epic clashes between Sparta and Athens in battles pitting 150v150 soldiers against each other.
SAIL THE AEGEAN SEA - Recruit crewmembers and customize your ship as you explore and battle your way on the open seas.

3 days early access uh? That's something new.
And the season pass gives you "all the story content", i.e. it still will not include some cosmetic stuff.

I'm not feeling it as much as you guys. The color palette is really kitsch, the big battles look like rear end, there's really nothing to connect it to the franchise... Too early to tell but I'm still not hyped.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh my lort shut up and take my :20bux::20bux::20bux: already so I can be this amazing Greek lady.

Seriously can you imagine someone who has played all 47 Assassin's Creed games in order and willingly picks the dude again for this one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
oh no, not kitsch

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

I just played through and started a new game+ but if buy Season Pass or DLC will it integrate with the new game+ save?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AC3 and Black Flag. Unity and Syndicate. Origins and Odyssey.

Ubisoft have done the 'rush new game engine, use the same engine to put out a proper game the next year' thing several times over. Origins is actually the outlier as they managed to pull everything together without it being a horrible shitshow.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kuiperdolin posted:

3 days early access uh? That's something new.
And the season pass gives you "all the story content", i.e. it still will not include some cosmetic stuff.

I'm not feeling it as much as you guys. The color palette is really kitsch, the big battles look like rear end, there's really nothing to connect it to the franchise... Too early to tell but I'm still not hyped.

Yeah, uh... it's ancient Greece, my dude. It was a kitschy period and the country is naturally super lush and colorful.

And I don't have anything to say about the big battles except that they'll probably play out like the gang wars in Syndicate... which was fine.

Story is of course mostly an unknown right now too.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

no bird warg, no dice :colbert:

jk, probably gonna get this day one

edit: reading the article below, there is a pet bird! Its name is Ikaros!

hiddenriverninja fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 11, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://kotaku.com/everything-we-learned-about-assassin-s-creed-odyssey-af-1826721186

interesting stuff. also as either character you can romance anyone. so i am going to be play as Bisexual Spartan pirate guy who looks daario naharis(the first actor.)

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Not really interested in the Greek setting (I honestly can't stand stuff set in Greece thanks to years and years of Greek mythology being shoved down my throat), but more AC is good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PureRok posted:

Not really interested in the Greek setting (I honestly can't stand stuff set in Greece thanks to years and years of Greek mythology being shoved down my throat), but more AC is good.

i wasnt either. but assassins creed always gets me interested in different eras/parts of history.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Okay, so this is from the Syndicate team. That's One of the Good Ones, right?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This looks like exactly what I've wanted an Assassins Creed game to be since I played the first one. I hope they haven't hosed it up by rushing it out.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

exquisite tea posted:

It's one of the Less Bad Ones. So it's probably gonna be slightly less good than Origins.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm playing Origins now and it looks like the Odyssey site has replaced the Origins one, so I can no longer see if my photos are able to beat pictures of boobs on the trending list.

Mildly disappointing, but I think Origins but a girl with a boat might get me to actually buy an AC game on launch.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
My wallet is really going to suffer in the next 9 months.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
aaaaaaahhhhhhh gently caress this looks real good. Trying not to get too hype after how much I liked Origins and how they seem to be iterating on that. Also loving the color palette - there's been this drive to wash things out in recent years (not just in games but in TV and film), so I'm glad Ubi's going with bright and bold.

exquisite tea posted:

Yep! Syndicate's solid, even if the story's unfocused - but that looks to be addressed by the reportedly more consistent protagonist.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://kotaku.com/everything-we-learned-about-assassin-s-creed-odyssey-af-1826721186

interesting stuff. also as either character you can romance anyone. so i am going to be play as Bisexual Spartan pirate guy who looks daario naharis(the first actor.)

Really digging this. Ancient Greece is my jam, has been since I was little.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

exquisite tea posted:

Seriously can you imagine someone who has played all 47 Assassin's Creed games in order and willingly picks the dude again for this one.

Someone who wants to be a big gay Spartan and kiss all the Greek dudes.

edit: or

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am going to be play as Bisexual Spartan pirate guy who looks daario naharis(the first actor.)

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 12, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gnome de plume posted:

edit: or

Will we be able to alter appearence? I'm guessing not really beyond haircuts and outfits, which means I have no desire to be Buzzcut Male Underwear Model from 2007 for the millionth time...

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Origins + Black Flag is a good combination, I'm in. My biggest complaint about Black Flag is that for all its big wide ocean you explore, the actual locations you can go to are all kind of small and samey, but now that we're on the PS4 that doesn't seem to be an issue. Mykonos looked pretty expansive there. The setting is cool and the game looks pretty as hell, also.

I didn't know that this was by the Syndicate team, guess they're into big group fights and having male/female protagonists. :v: :lol: at the trailer only including the male character though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Will we be able to alter appearence? I'm guessing not really beyond haircuts and outfits, which means I have no desire to be Buzzcut Male Underwear Model from 2007 for the millionth time...

You don’t have a buzz cut on either but probably. They have a ton of costume/armor/weapon customization.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

You don’t have a buzz cut on either but probably. They have a ton of costume/armor/weapon customization.

Yeah Alexios is rocking both some long luxurious locks and a manbun.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Origins + Black Flag is a good combination, I'm in. My biggest complaint about Black Flag is that for all its big wide ocean you explore, the actual locations you can go to are all kind of small and samey, but now that we're on the PS4 that doesn't seem to be an issue. Mykonos looked pretty expansive there. The setting is cool and the game looks pretty as hell, also.

I didn't know that this was by the Syndicate team, guess they're into big group fights and having male/female protagonists. :v: :lol: at the trailer only including the male character though.

They also like the gays which is ok too

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I only bought Origins due to the Roman Egypt setting, and I'll buy this for the pre-Alexander Greece setting. Couldn't care less about the connection to the AC storyline.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hoping for improvements to Discovery Mode as well.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I take back what I said about Japan being back on the table the moment someone decides it would be cool. Given that three fighting games about Japan just got announced at E3, one of them pretty clearly borrowing some mechanics from this series, it would be a terrible time to make an rear end Creed in Japan.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I take back what I said about Japan being back on the table the moment someone decides it would be cool. Given that three fighting games about Japan just got announced at E3, one of them pretty clearly borrowing some mechanics from this series, it would be a terrible time to make an rear end Creed in Japan.

ancient Greece is kinda rare in games outside rts and god of war. so i am cool with Greece.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
So-Crates has been confirmed so I'm holding out hope that one of the missions takes you to San Dimas... :pray:

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
This thread (in Dutch) https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1856867/2

had a link to a video interview with a ubi Lead that since been taken offline but according to that thread your character is a direct descendant of the first civilisation and there will be more present day stuff/crossover as the Layla character makes a return as well.

quote:

“Assassin’s Creed Odyssey” narrative director Mel MacCoubrey just dropped a ton of new info in an interview with UNILAD Gaming. “Odyssey” is set in 431 BC during the Peloponnesian War between the Delian League led by Athens and the Peloponnesian League led by Sparta. There are two playable characters — Kassandra and Alexios. They are both Spartans. After a tragedy rips the family apart, the game jumps ahead 17 years later to the island of Kefalonia, where the pair are now working as mercenaries. Both characters share the same story, MacCoubrey said. Of course, “Assassin’s Creed’s” present day storyline is important to the series, and it will continue in “Odyssey.” Former Abstergo Industries employee Layla Hassan returns in this game, and she’s searching for First Civilization artifacts and knowledge."

Zadda fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 12, 2018

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

isk posted:

Really digging this. Ancient Greece is my jam, has been since I was little.

I didn’t think they would do it since Origins was the beginning of the Assassins, so like how do you go back in time from that? But Greece is the time period I wanted most. And I read bits of Thucydides’s History of the Peloponnesian War in college, it’s probably the time period I’m most knowledgeable about of any of the AC games (besides AC3), so I’m excited to see how they handle it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ubisoft correctly doesn't give a poo poo anymore and "assassin's creed" is just the name of their historical themed RPG series from now on. Which is great since Bioware has totally fallen off the map.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So Origins is on sale for $30. I bought it at launch, but in the first Pyramid thing during the tutorial pulling the torch out absolutely *tanked* my FPS and I had to refund it. Have they made any performance improvements? For reference, I've got an R9 280x, An i5-4590, and 8 GB of RAM.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't think so. It runs about the same for me as it did when it released. It's entirely possible patches have fixed issues with other hardware, though. I have an nvidia, so maybe a patch fixed an issue with AMD hardware. Or maybe nothing is different.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Deakul posted:

Features

It's kinda strange how that the store description doesn't even feature the word 'assassins' anywhere but the title. I guess I was in the minority, but I really liked my sneaking, parcour, stabbing games.

Also expected them to show more naval gameplay.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 12, 2018

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There will 100% be stealth, sneaking and parkour.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It's going to be really, really strange playing an AssCreed game with no hidden blade, BUT, the fact the Spearhead of Leonidas is a precursor artifact and the supplement for it, I can look past this for creativity. I'm glad the Eagle is back too, it's a far more interesting system than detective vision, but it just won't be Senu :smith:

AC Odyssey is really shaping up to be a badass fuckin' game. Mixing AC4 Boat Fighting but in Ancient Greece, sailing the Aegean and doing the stuff... can't wait to see the Modern storyline too. Very happy it's 4 months out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Gnome de plume posted:

They probably won't include it, but it could be interesting if they went all in on the customs that were considered normal back then but distasteful now. Like having Alexios in a pederastic relationship with a younger boy, proper athletic nudity and Kassandra being subject to pretty awful sexism.