Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Think about how dismal this game looks and then realize we haven't even seen the technical gently caress ups yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

The Capital Wasteland is explicitly mostly populated by war survivors outside of Vaults. Megaton is directly stated to have been founded by the people not allowed into Vault 101 and is the second-largest community in the area after Rivet City. The Mojave probably is as well because of how little damage it took. Both areas only have one or two Vaults that actually released members into the wild in some way, rather than having their entire population killed by a Vault-Tec experiment or raiders.

Vault 15 also only gave us the raider gangs and Shady Sands; while they did turn into the NCR, there was plenty of civilization beforehand. You could argue that the Boneyard is technically a Vault town because it was made from people who hid in a demonstration vault to survive. The Hub was founded in a mostly untouched pre-war town just 16 years after the war, Junktown was founded by a US soldier who survived the war (the current mayor in Fallout is his grandson), and the Cathedral was an existing settlement before the Master took it over. Only a few places in California originated from Vault dwellers.

moving further east, the Mormons mostly came from a vault (specifically a vault where all the clothing machines were designed to fail after six months, in order to test how an extremely prudish and socially conservative society reacted to being forced to become a nudist colony, lol), but the tribes probably didn't. The Sorrows came from something called 'The School', and the Dead Horses came from a place called 'Rez', which is almost certainly the Navajo Reservation (its inhabitants just call it 'the rez' in real life, and the Dead Horses speak a Navajo-derived creole). We don't really know anything about the origins of the other tribes in the area, but the White Legs speak a creole language as well, and likely didn't come from a vault.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Wonder how they are going to address vendors, traders and caravans. They have always been massive parts of every Fallout game and with no NPCs...do players have the ability to become vendors? Where do I go to buy ammo and stimpacks?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Prophecy120 posted:

Wonder how they are going to address vendors, traders and caravans. They have always been massive parts of every Fallout game and with no NPCs...do players have the ability to become vendors? Where do I go to buy ammo and stimpacks?

Where do you buy guns and items in Rust?
You don't because gently caress you if you don't want to scavenge for poo poo

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The vault overlord will send you care packages for killstreaks and other combo chains.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/garrus9/status/1005947396348612608?s=21

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I've already hosed a ghoul... maybe even two.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Where do you buy guns and items in Rust?
You don't because gently caress you if you don't want to scavenge for poo poo

Serious question, is there currency in Rust? During the gameplay F76 trailer the player got 1200 caps for killing PGarvey. Seems stupid to reward caps and not have any way to spend them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Like other things, I don't know if it makes that much sense to use caps this soon after the War. When did Hub adopt the cap currency?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
common son, it's pretty obvious here

Fallout Crates

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Arcsquad12 posted:

Like other things, I don't know if it makes that much sense to use caps this soon after the War. When did Hub adopt the cap currency?

It doesn't make sense to use them on the east coast, period, but we're kind of beyond that point now. :sigh:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Arcsquad12 posted:

Vault 76 were the first to use caps. They are just the first now of everything.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Caps probably buy shack walls and billiards tables and turrets and poo poo

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Arcsquad12 posted:

2090s according to Chris Avellone's Fallout Bible, but I don't believe there's anything about it in-game

Keeshhound posted:

It doesn't make sense to use them on the east coast, period, but we're kind of beyond that point now. :sigh:
There was a big bottling plant in the Capital Wasteland, so it makes sense that they'd be used there as currency, once there were enough settlements going to need currency, for the same reasons as in the west

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i had no idea fallout was gonna be multiplayer. how trash does it look?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i had no idea fallout was gonna be multiplayer. how trash does it look?

Same engine as the last three games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Otacon posted:

Caps probably buy shack walls and billiards tables and turrets and poo poo

Oh god you're right. Go back and look at the crafting video from the preview. It looks like there's a resource ticker each time they plant something but it looked like a universal currency rather than various junk cans

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

2house2fly posted:

2090s according to Chris Avellone's Fallout Bible, but I don't believe there's anything about it in-game

There was a big bottling plant in the Capital Wasteland, so it makes sense that they'd be used there as currency, once there were enough settlements going to need currency, for the same reasons as in the west

Only in the sense that if you needed something to work as a representative currency, they're available. The question of WHY they were settled on in the east was never considered; in the west it was because the Hub merchants used them and everyone needed to deal with the Hub anyway.

I'm also just a little bitter because the other idea they considered for Fallout 1 (using old credit cards, with different colors being different denominations) would've worked REALLY well in first person, and had an additional ironic element that I appreciated.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Playing this with goons guarantees a settlement shaped like a cock.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

2house2fly posted:

Oh God, we are going to be roleplaying as bitcoin promoters.

"You fail to grasp the concept, bottleCoin is an innovating new currency that is going to revolutionize how we do business in the Wasteland. So instead of trying to grow food or scavenge for weapons and materials, we should maximize our effort into producing something that have no inherent value on the basis that being a front runner will mean we be will the industrialist captains when the new paradigm takes hold.

You also need to wear cinder blocks around your neck, because of Blockchains."

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Keeshhound posted:

Only in the sense that if you needed something to work as a representative currency, they're available. The question of WHY they were settled on in the east was never considered; in the west it was because the Hub merchants used them and everyone needed to deal with the Hub anyway.

I'm also just a little bitter because the other idea they considered for Fallout 1 (using old credit cards, with different colors being different denominations) would've worked REALLY well in first person, and had an additional ironic element that I appreciated.

drat, I didn't know that. That feature woulda been really neat

I intentionally ignore all the dev logic because I know it'll just turn me into a salt reactor

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JFC posted:

Playing this with goons guarantees a settlement shaped like a cock.

The Big Iron

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I'm really looking forward to the B.E.T.A. since it'll let players discover game breaking bugs, report them, and then Bethesda can turn around and still have those very same devestating bugs present on release

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Hey look

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1006309985582804998

and mods too

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

In other games betas are used for free bug testing. For Bethesda they are kind enough to use betas as extra gameplay.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Todd posted:

Our goal for launch — this is really new for us — is to have a well-running

Boy, I'll say!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So by a few years after the bombs drop, WV looks almost better than before they fell.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That was quick.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Okay, so now that the first reactions are coming in they're going to slowly walk it back... Not going to complain as it's basically what I wanted (short of it being an actual, finished RPG). Still going to be a "when it's on sale" purchase.

But now it sounds like if you do want to play alone you'll literally be alone. As in the only person still alive in West Virginia. Everyone else in the Vault booked it towards the coast as soon as that door opened.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's almost like Bethesda should think about what they say before they say it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i've known about this game for an hour and i can already guarantee 85 percent of the people griping are gonna pull a boycott mw2

if shooting ghouls with my friends means some weird nerd can't gently caress an eyebot anymore, well, i'm not really sure the game is worse off

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
*shooting ghouls with the random people bethesda has determined should be your friends

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Getting private servers later on is good because it makes waiting for a sale easier.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Azhais posted:

*shooting ghouls with the random people bethesda has determined should be your friends

i can think of no better bonding experience

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Getting private servers later on is good because it makes waiting for a sale easier.

Yep

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
imagine rust, but playing alone

not sure that's excitement worthy

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

imagine rust, but playing alone

not sure that's excitement worthy

Having the option to try it both ways is still nice. Plus I'm sure I can scrounge up someone to co-op with if we don't have to worry about griefers.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

man i cannot wait until bethesda drops the not obviously tacked on a month before release Fallout 76 Battle Royale

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rincewinds posted:

Oh God, we are going to be roleplaying as bitcoin promoters.

"You fail to grasp the concept, bottleCoin is an innovating new currency that is going to revolutionize how we do business in the Wasteland. So instead of trying to grow food or scavenge for weapons and materials, we should maximize our effort into producing something that have no inherent value on the basis that being a front runner will mean we be will the industrialist captains when the new paradigm takes hold.

You also need to wear cinder blocks around your neck, because of Blockchains."

I would almost be tempted to buy this game and play it if we seriously made this faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Psychotic Weasel posted:

But now it sounds like if you do want to play alone you'll literally be alone. As in the only person still alive in West Virginia.

That actually sounds great, honestly. Just me and my Mothmen, because a Mothman companion is going to be one of the first mods created if Bethesda is foolish enough to not provide it in game.

So, if you really can play alone, my interest in this just re-ignited. Still kind of sucks that it's always online (I'll be fine, but a lot of my friends live in areas with not so great internet connections, so I doubt they'll never get to play this despite loving Fallout), but I guess that unavoidable. Probably check this one out a year after launch, once private servers are a thing and the modding community has had time to build some neat poo poo to make the game fun/functional.