Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
the crux of the problem is that autopilot works fine 99% of the time without the need for human intervention. this trains the human to pay no attention. but if left unattended, the other 1% of the time it drives straight into a brick wall at 70 miles per hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
elong how am i supposed to watch harry potter in the backseat with all of this nagging nannyware

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

people are complaining about it nagging while their hands are on the wheel which is the only possible legitimate complaint for the system

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYZrehVQouc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fiedler posted:

the crux of the problem is that autopilot works fine 99% of the time without the need for human intervention. this trains the human to pay no attention. but if left unattended, the other 1% of the time it drives straight into a brick wall at 70 miles per hour.

0%

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

just because some guy got decapitated when his car drove under a truck on an open highway doesn't mean that the thousands of idiots who use autopilot on the SF hwy at 110 mph aren't getting home safe.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

what an utter poo poo.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
teens are leaving fb for insta

fb corp is fine, popularity wise

they still scum tho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bob dobbs is dead posted:

teens are leaving fb for insta

fb corp is fine, popularity wise
this is literally why they bought instagram in the first place

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
also lol

https://twitter.com/UID_/status/1005795008581169152

im 1000% certain that fan doesnt autoload seventeen different kinds of spyware onto any system its plugged into. arent you?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
hope they have timers :ohdear:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

hope they have timers :ohdear:

this was my thought too. it's clearly for targeted assassinations

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
just cut the traces for D+/D-, whats the big deal

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
usb condom

https://int3.cc/products/usbcondoms

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

he didn't say compared to what

elon take the wheel

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

why’s it always up to the male components to wear protection??? this is digital misandry!!!

:qq:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

just cut the traces for D+/D-, whats the big deal

you can do side channel power analysis via usb power without any data

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

this is literally why they bought instagram in the first place

12 peeps, $1 billion, somehow still a great deal

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Trabisnikof posted:

you can do side channel power analysis via usb power without any data

what are folks gleaning from the 5V rail wiggling and no code on the host

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

what are folks gleaning from the 5V rail wiggling and no code on the host

all sorts of fun stuff, power analysis attacks are a plentiful ground with much to exploit

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7782756/

quote:

In this paper, we show that public USB charging stations pose a significant privacy risk to smartphone users even when no data communication is possible between the station and the user's mobile device. We present a side-channel attack that allows a charging station to identify which Webpages are loaded while the smartphone is charging. To evaluate this side-channel, we collected power traces of Alexa top 50 Websites on multiple smartphones under several conditions, including battery charging level, browser cache enabled/disabled, taps on the screen, Wi-Fi/LTE, TLS encryption enabled/disabled, time elapsed between collection of training and testing data, and location of the Website. The results of our evaluation show that the attack is highly successful: in many settings, we were able to achieve over 90% Webpage identification accuracy. On the other hand, our experiments also show that this side-channel is sensitive to some of the aforementioned conditions. For instance, when training and testing traces were collected 70 days apart, accuracies were as low as 2.2%. Although there are studies that show that power-based side-channels can predict browsing activity on laptops, this paper is unique, because it is the first to study this side-channel on smartphones, under smartphone specific constraints. Further, we demonstrate that Websites can be correctly identified within a short time span of 2 × 6 seconds

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1389128618302640

quote:

Tor is used to communicate anonymously by millions of daily users, which rely on it for their privacy, security, and often safety. In this paper we present a new attack on Tor that allows a malicious USB charging device (e.g., a public USB charging station) to identify which website is being visited by a smartphone user via Tor, thus breaking Tor’s primary use case. Our attack solely depends on power measurements performed while the user is charging her smartphone, and it does not require the adversary to observe any network traffic or to transfer data through the smartphone’s USB port. We evaluated the attack by training a machine learning model on power traces from 50 regular webpages and 50 Tor hidden services. We considered realistic constraints such as different network types (LTE and WiFi), Tor circuit types, and battery charging levels. In our experiments, we were able to correctly identify webpages visited using the official mobile Tor browser with accuracies up to 85.7% when the battery was fully charged, and up to 46% when the battery level was between 30% and 50%. Both results are substantially higher than the 1% baseline of random guessing. Surprisingly, our results show that hidden services can be identified with higher accuracies than regular webpages (e.g., 84.3% vs. 68.7% over LTE).

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/usenixsecurity17/sec17-su.pdf

quote:

We have tested over 50 different computers and external hubs and found that over 90% of them suffer from a crosstalk leakage effect that allows malicious peripheral devices located off the communication path to capture and observe sensitive USB traffic. We also show that in many cases this crosstalk leakage can be observed on the USB power lines, thus defeating a common USB isolation countermeasure of using a charge-only USB cable which physically disconnects the USB data lines

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
2/3rds of those aren't what you're claiming, hth

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I really want to get one of those fans. and plug it into a sandbox and see what pops up.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

2/3rds of those aren't what you're claiming, hth

all 3 of those are examples of power analysis attacks using usb power only no data, what exactly do you think isn't possible?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Trabisnikof posted:

all 3 of those are examples of power analysis attacks using usb power only no data, what exactly do you think isn't possible?
for starters, I don't think this dinky USB fan is a

quote:

public USB charging station
can... can u really not tell the difference between the host and peripheral?

just how many tries does plugging in the average USB device take u?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

oh dang you got me there, owned

anyway im sure most of those fans aren't filled with :nsa: stuff maybe a handful given to the right people but even then eh, why go through that effort when most journalists seem eager to just click the spearphishing link anyway

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

President Beep posted:

what an utter poo poo.

i touched the poop :negative:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
loving MILLENIALS are screwing everything up AGAIN!

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1006257261897973761

:argh:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

FMguru posted:

good, gently caress the majority of white "middle income" baby boomers

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

FMguru posted:

hm, I'm the giant house in the article captioned "mid sized"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ADINSX posted:

hm, I'm the giant house in the article captioned "mid sized"

https://twitter.com/patanicsanic/status/1006299830673690624

best reply

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
hangon a second boomers i thought we weren’t supposed to be having kids we couldn’t afford

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

1) have kids

2) affford them

this isn’t that difficult :rolleyes:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hangon a second boomers i thought we weren’t supposed to be having kids we couldn’t afford

no those other millenials have the kids

babies can't be having babies and i'm not ready to be a grandparent :qq:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
ahhh, white genocide

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

You Am I posted:

good, gently caress the majority of white "middle income" baby boomers

somewhere in the distance, fishmech stirs.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
how does random guessing have a 1% success rate

that sounds like a flaw in their methodology

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rjmccall posted:

how does random guessing have a 1% success rate

that sounds like a flaw in their methodology

they load one of 100 different websites and guess which one it is?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im the guy being torn in half by the 2000 psi jets while trying to cross the street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tag urself

i'm problematic blogging