Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, I'm hella progressive and almost didn't post it because of that. But its so obviously fake and lame, and that's dumb even when the author is on the same political/human rights side of things.

Not posting fake poo poo just bc it's on your ideological side of the table isn't progressive, it's just cowardly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

your friend a dog posted:

Not posting fake poo poo just bc it's on your ideological side of the table isn't progressive, it's just cowardly

Lmao @ your text

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zelder posted:

Lmao @ your text

Words of advice from the master himself

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I mean, Border Patrol being dicks is absolutely poo poo that did happen, but I’m amazed nobody stood and clapped at the end of this one.

Edit: And that Spanish-speaking lady? ALBERT EINSTEIN.

Blue Moonlight has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Jun 9, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I would be very unsurprised if that ended up being a white guy behind that profile/post.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtyGLzOBdFQ&t=41s

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
So the moral of the story is to cuss loudly at the border agents and they'll just say "screw it, we don't need to deal with this" and go away?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Howard Beale posted:

So the moral of the story is to cuss loudly at the border agents and they'll just say "screw it, we don't need to deal with this" and go away?

I think the preferred method of dealing with inland border control checkpoints is still to loudly repeat "AM I BEING DETAINED? AM I FREE TO GO?" over and over until they either let you go or get pissed off and break your window.

The_Franz has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Jun 10, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

your friend a dog posted:

We're not nearly as important, heh, I just get paid 5x as much. Alright good hustle guys *locks office door*

lol

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The_Franz posted:

I think the preferred method of dealing with inland border control checkpoints is still to loudly repeat "AM I BEING DETAINED? AM I FREE TO GO?" over and over until they either let you go or get pissed off and break your window.

I had no idea inland border checkpoints were a thing until a friend and I were on a college roadtrip across the southwest years ago. We were cruising across southern NM in some remote area, with only a vague idea of where we were (this was long before the days of smart phones and GPS locators -- we were relying solely on paper maps), and we came upon one of those checkpoints. The agent had a laugh when we asked if we had actually hit the border, because as far as we knew, we were heading west to east, not north to south. After confirming that we were indeed heading in the direction we thought we were, he sent us on our way.

That was a wild trip. We stumbled across a VLA out in the middle of nowhere, and I discovered that one of the biggest skies in the world exists late at night in west Texas, when you're tooling along and the towns are 50 or 60 miles apart, and there's nothing out there but you and the dereks and the stench of oil fields, and it would be all too easy for two girls in a car with NC tags and pride bumper stickers to suddenly just disappear without a trace.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A list of classic troper tales.

quote:

This troper took a few levels when, after years of being a Woobie so pitiful Shinji would say what the heck is wrong with you, I had enough of a girl I liked always going for this tall, blond guy. When they were talking right in front of me in the street and holding arms and talking and all that, I said, "Shut. The. Hell. Up." The boy looks around and walks over, trying to look menacing. Martial arts studies come in. I take a punch to the forehead and then slide under and punch him in the stomach, he goes backwards and I land another one to his face. I then go berserk and full body tackle him. He managed to crawl away, and say, "That kid...is inhuman!"

quote:

This Troper gave a very nasty one that was merged with a Hannibal Lecture to a bully Jerk Jock type. It can be summed up as, "I really do pity you. . .or at least I try to. . . . You are just an empty fool who tries to erase his fear that he might not get a football scholarship by bullying those lesser than him. I continue these "geeky" behaviors because they let me form at least a core of my personality. You. . .you have nothing any more other than to try to fill your empty core up with the fear of others while watching that perfect six pack decay from one too many beers." He cried and ran away, having been emotionally dissected.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Some of my geeky traits: insulting prettier people online, making unwanted advances online, saying the area I'm from is boring despite never leaving the house

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

"Martial arts studies come in. I take a punch to the forehead"

That line always makes me laugh

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Oh my god I love troper tales

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

http://fucknotvtropes.tumblr.com

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I’ve always wondered: are there any troper tales that aren’t about high school or earlier? I've assumed that the majority of TV trope people are at least college aged, but I don’t think I’ve ever read a troper tale that was about someone older than 15.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Why are you reading troper tales at all? You could be doing other things.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Volcott posted:

Why are you reading troper tales at all? You could be doing other things.

My dude, you're in the stdh thread on SA. Don't try to throw shade.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It's not shade, it's just, like... the other things are better, y'know?

I think you would have more fun with the other things.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Like reading my posts!

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

This is some next-level sad poo poo, Jesus.

quote:

This Troper got picked on alot, in middle school and high school. Totally ignored in college by vapid girls. But after he got his degree and became manager at the most successful Gamestop (Southeast region), there are loads of kids (and college students who have to answer to him. Cue Evil Laugh . . .

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

tpink posted:

I mean I fully believe that one is real.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

tpink posted:

Imagine that being your revenge fantasy, and dying sad with your ambitions unfulfilled. lol

Decrepus has a new favorite as of 00:29 on Jun 12, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Volcott posted:

It's not shade, it's just, like... the other things are better, y'know?

I think you would have more fun with the other things.

*punches in forehead*

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

My dude, you're in the stdh thread on SA. Don't try to throw shade.

Uh, yeah this. There was a period of time where troper tales made up the majority of content posted this thread.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

My favourite troper tale was that one where the kid gets in a fight in shop class and the other kid swings a ruler at him; this has the effect of unplugging his earphones to some Nightwish tune or something and so now he very conveniently has his big action soundtrack going on.

edit: haha, found it

quote:

This troperrecently (A few weeks ago) got into a....little fight with his longtime nemesis, last day of (high)school, he may not be coming(droping out, my nemesis, not me) back, revenge bluh bluh merger childish things. He decides to come at me with a meter stick with a rather intimidating war cry. I merely tilt my head ever so slightly and plunk, it hits the wall behind my head, visibly dumbfounded he then attempts to slash me. Big mistake, my headphones got unplugged from my Ipod touch, and my favorite song was just beginning. Nightwish's song [[CrowningMusic/Template:Nightwish she is my sin]] and so begins my epic battle, he keeps slashing and lunging at me all while I dodge his blows and strokes. He attempts another headshot but I deftly grabbed it from him, he fell face first onto the floor, then I said one of my favorite BadassBoast badass boasts almost immediately afterword FinalFantasyVIIAdventChildren "On your knees...I want you to beg for forgiveness." my class's resident Video game gerd (Her own word she made, a combination of geek and nerd, she calls herself this all the time) said almost YELLING "Holy poo poo dude! That was awesome!" unfortunately his Girlfriend didnt think so, and tossed him the other meter stick and said "Kick that little snot into next year!"(Even though im taller then him he's like 5'4 im 5'7) and we exchanged blows which was eerily similar to aboved mentioned Final Fantasy movie, I then disarmed him and then said, "I hold no ill will, nor is this a personal matter, but thanks for the workout non-the less." He simply bowed his head in shame, his girlfriend having pure spasms of RAGE, chiding him that he couldn't beat a video game playing ultimate geek face(highly immature for a 16 year old girl I know), but I couldn't here them over the applause I was getting from the other geeks and my fellow peers, my teacher ( a substitute) woke up from her nap and simply said "what did I miss?" we all (except for my nemesis and his GF) begun laughing uncontrollably for a few minutes. I deadpanned afterwords "Nothing at all ma'am, just having some fun, listening to music, drawing, epic one sided battles..." She shrugged and went back to sleep.

Seventh Arrow has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Jun 12, 2018

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Are there still new Troper Tales being posted anywhere? I know they were moved to a separate wiki and the worse pages (such as "Brother-Sister Incest") were deleted entirely.

Anyhow, I'll always have a soft spot for the badass who broke 33 pencils. Even though his friend had to break two of them if I recall correctly.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Seventh Arrow posted:

My favourite troper tale was that one where the kid gets in a fight in shop class and the other kid swings a ruler at him; this has the effect of unplugging his earphones to some Nightwish tune or something and so now he very conveniently has his big action soundtrack going on.

shoot it directly into my veins yesssss

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Seventh Arrow posted:

This is it. This is the best one.

I even found an appropriate video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mtlDc072cE

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Seventh Arrow posted:

Oh gently caress me. This has to be a troll, right?

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

tpink posted:

Oh gently caress me. This has to be a troll, right?

what does your heart tell you

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

My favorite part was always "coming (dropping out, my nemesis, not me) back". Like, it should take skills to get grammar that bad.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Just lol if you can't enjoy some good troper tales imo.

SerialKilldeer posted:

Are there still new Troper Tales being posted anywhere? I know they were moved to a separate wiki and the worse pages (such as "Brother-Sister Incest") were deleted entirely.

Anyhow, I'll always have a soft spot for the badass who broke 33 pencils. Even though his friend had to break two of them if I recall correctly.

The troper tales section has been shut down for many years now because it quickly turned into a poo poo show. Also 33 pencils dude rules

quote:

Arguably, this Troper is probably the youngest of which who suffers from this Trope. This is practically the invisible label that's under the invisible Berserk Button of this 13-year old kid. He broke 33 pencils in his life, and had a good friend break two of those pencils because they were too hard. He even yelled at someone because that guy was the third person who asked if he could be punched for the third time, with a teacher only a mile ahead!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Sooo.... breaking pencils is a sign of berserker rage strength?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

quote:

He even yelled at someone because that guy was the third person who asked if he could be punched for the third time, with a teacher only a mile ahead!

This is still the best example for "unintelligible word salad" I have ever seen in all my years online

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

33 Pencils Dude will always be my favorite. Just... such sublime nonsense.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm picturing him as a tiny little mob boss who has a jar full of pencils to break when he gets mad, and if one of them is too strong he hands it to his gorilla-sized goon in the corner to break for him.

Also good thing that teacher was a whole mile ahead, because they'd never hear him yelling from there!

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Nothing makes me feel old as hell the way classic troper tales do.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Troper thing that did happen but it's just such a good watch. Dudes other stuff is reading of troper takes which is thread relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efTloIPzkkA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember the brief period of time when TV Tropes was a handy source of common themes and plot elements in media.

Hoo boy did it take a loving turn to the strange real hard.