Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Narzack posted:

I'll definitely get used to him, and 2 episodes in, I do like him. I just really liked Sinclair.

If you want to get shithoused quickly, take a drink every time Boxleitner says "nononono."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Timby posted:

If you want to get shithoused quickly, take a drink every time Boxleitner says "nononono."

Get the hell out of my sobriety.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Babylon 5: Don't worry, we replaced Gandalf with Tron

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Timby posted:

I'll send you straight to black-out drunk.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Now that's a lot of Zima.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Babylon 5: The Place, Amazon Prime.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
There's a part of me that wishes we could've had a Babylon 5/DS9 crossover just to see an indignant speech-off between Bruce Boxleitner and Avery Brooks.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

BrandonGK posted:

There's a part of me that wishes we could've had a Babylon 5/DS9 crossover just to see an indignant speech-off between Bruce Boxleitner and Avery Brooks.

I support this only so long as we somehow get Dukaht and Dukat in the same room.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

I support this only so long as we somehow get Dukaht and Dukat in the same room.

Garek and Morden, together at last. "Oh, what do I want?"

Leeta and Lyta might or might not work out, though. Depends on where Lyta is in her character arc.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
"Look, I'm not going back to the PsiCorps. There are far worse ways to make rent than being a dabo girl!"

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I know it seems pretty well ignored, but I want to watch it, anyway. When is the best time to watch the Gathering? Should I wait to the end, watch it now, or does it not matter? Doesnt it take place before the first episode?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Narzack posted:

I know it seems pretty well ignored, but I want to watch it, anyway. When is the best time to watch the Gathering? Should I wait to the end, watch it now, or does it not matter? Doesnt it take place before the first episode?

It does. In the UK it aired in the middle of S1; only the people who rented it on VHS saw it before the series, and to this day I don't know who the other one was.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Narzack posted:

When is the best time to watch the Gathering? Should I wait to the end, watch it now, or does it not matter? Doesnt it take place before the first episode?

The best time to watch the Gathering, for the average watcher, is never.

If you're a fan, or know you're gonna power through regardless of what you see in the first season, or if you're capable of separating the interesting parts (the worldbuilding) from the bad parts (almost everything else), then you watch it first.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
So, since I'm in the first few episodes of season 2, I could just watch it now?

Edit- it's the pilot, right?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Narzack posted:

So, since I'm in the first few episodes of season 2, I could just watch it now?

Edit- it's the pilot, right?

Yeah, it's the pilot.

It's just not very good.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

The Gathering is a weird ill-fitting pilot for B5 in similar ways as The Cage was to TOS. It's something probably best watched way later out of morbid curiosity or if you're a completist but a poor choice to kick off a fresh rewatch or to introduce new viewers unless they're extremely patient. Season 1 revisits most of The Gathering's relevant arc pieces anyway if I remember correctly.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I watch it every time.

Edit: I should probably add this is not a recommendation for anyone else to do the same. I've lost count but I think I've been through the complete series at least 6 times.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 11, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jedit posted:

It does. In the UK it aired in the middle of S1; only the people who rented it on VHS saw it before the series, and to this day I don't know who the other one was.

I was like 5-6 at the time, but I'm pretty sure the pilot aired first in Australia.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If you can't handle Babylon 5 at its worst you don't deserve it at its best :colbert:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Narzack posted:

Best time is after you've decided to give the show a fair shot, whether because friend or family has recommended it to you, or because you've seen a few episodes and liked what you've seen. Takes place a year or so before the first episode, and (unlike ... what was it called, thread, In The Beginning?) was actually meant to be watched before the first episode. Aired like a year before the first episode, too.

A lot of people will say (are saying) it's bad, etc., which I don't really agree with, but there's a different caveat I'll give (which is most important if you're actually watching it before season 1): The Gathering is a murder mystery. That's not really the sort of story Babylon 5 normally tells.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

It’s fun to watch after everything to see how caricature everyone was at the start.

Actually S2 is probably a good time. You already know you’re in, so it won’t turn you off but then everyone hasn’t evolved lights years past it so it’s not as jarring.

E: holy poo poo E:f,b in the B5 thread. Who’d a thunk it.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 12, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

McSpanky posted:

If you can't handle Babylon 5 at its worst you don't deserve it at its best :colbert:

You gonna watch Legend of the Rangers now?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Vavrek posted:

Best time is after you've decided to give the show a fair shot, whether because friend or family has recommended it to you, or because you've seen a few episodes and liked what you've seen. Takes place a year or so before the first episode, and (unlike ... what was it called, thread, In The Beginning?) was actually meant to be watched before the first episode. Aired like a year before the first episode, too.

A lot of people will say (are saying) it's bad, etc., which I don't really agree with, but there's a different caveat I'll give (which is most important if you're actually watching it before season 1): The Gathering is a murder mystery. That's not really the sort of story Babylon 5 normally tells.

In The Beginning, yes, which should definitely not be watched in the beginning unless you 100% do not care about spoilers at all. B5 telegraphs a lot of stuff so that's not as big of a concern as with some shows, though.

Also, yeah, no, The Gathering is unequivocally bad, and I say this as a completionist who always watches it. It has redeeming qualities, but its main function is to help the jump in quality into season 1 relatively shine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

Please don't make suicide requests in the Babylon 5 thread.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

In The Beginning, yes, which should definitely not be watched in the beginning

I watched In The Beginning before I even knew what B5 was! :shepface:

Thankfully some time passed between watching that and actually watching B5 that I forgot all of the major spoilers except one, though they spoil that one again super early on in actual B5.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Talk to the Hand, buddy. We live for the One, we watch for the One.

(Headcanon: G'kar becomes head of the Rangers before his death.)

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

McSpanky posted:

This is how people trick themselves and others into watching seven seasons of Voyager.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

In The Beginning, yes, which should definitely not be watched in the beginning unless you 100% do not care about spoilers at all. B5 telegraphs a lot of stuff so that's not as big of a concern as with some shows, though.

Spoilers aside, In The Beginning is a great introduction to the show. It fills in backstory and introduces a lot of the characters. As a bonus, it's a decent movie in its own right, so it's not two hours wasted if this is how you introduce someone to B5.

LOL. I looked on Amazon. They have the movies, but they aren't part of Prime, $7.99 each. Except for Lost Tales, which is $1.99. That'd funnier if Legend of the Rangers wasn't full price.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I own Legend of the Rangers on DVD. The Lost Tales, too. The only thing I don't have is the movies, which I had on VHS but never got round to buying on DVD - and now the only place you can easily get them is in the complete box set.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LOTR (I just realized that abbreviation can't be a coincidence, ugh) is the only B5 thing I saw on TV when it was originally broadcast instead of in reruns. I've paid a heavy price for this wisdom.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Is there a spoiler-free B5 thread for us first time watchers?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Narzack posted:

Is there a spoiler-free B5 thread for us first time watchers?

No, but if you'd like to discuss it as you're watching, please feel free to make one and link it in here so we can follow; I always enjoy newbie impressions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm wondering if we shouldn't do a coordinated rewatch, but there's too much danger of spoilers I guess.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Airspace posted:

I watched In The Beginning before I even knew what B5 was! :shepface:

Thankfully some time passed between watching that and actually watching B5 that I forgot all of the major spoilers except one, though they spoil that one again super early on in actual B5.

I've been trying to remember what all was in the original set of Babylon 5 stuff I watched. It was, I think, a set of official VHS tapes, for ... Season One, maybe part of Season Two but maybe not, In The Beginning, and I honestly don't remember if The Gathering was part of it or not.

I think I remember being confused at In The Beginning, maybe because I watched it just after Season One and had no idea who Sheridan was.

Jedit posted:

I'm wondering if we shouldn't do a coordinated rewatch, but there's too much danger of spoilers I guess.
A coordinated rewatch sounds cool, but I feel like most of the discussion would be about what this or that detail is foreshadowing. A thread made entirely of spoilers.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

mllaneza posted:

Spoilers aside, In The Beginning is a great introduction to the show. It fills in backstory and introduces a lot of the characters.

It also makes the universe seem a lot smaller, by having half the main cast know eachother a decade earlier

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

That's a hell of a commitment in addition to spoilers like landmines in Laos.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
poo poo, man, some motherfucker spoileda major character death on this page

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It also makes the universe seem a lot smaller, by having half the main cast know eachother a decade earlier

Prequels and revivals just can't resist this stuff. Fictional setting spanning the galaxy? Ten people controlled the destiny of the universe from high school to retirement (and probably beyond).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Narzack posted:

poo poo, man, some motherfucker spoileda major character death on this page

It's impossible to reply to this post without making something that wasn't a spoiler into one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

McSpanky posted:

Prequels and revivals just can't resist this stuff. Fictional setting spanning the galaxy? Ten people controlled the destiny of the universe from high school to retirement (and probably beyond).

I hate this sort of clockwork universe bullshit.

I'll love The Last Jedi forever simply because it ran screaming from that. Not everyone needs to be a skywalker, kenobi, or whatever.