Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
One guy at the tourney yesterday pointed out something that I was aware of but hadn’t really considered before, which is that every card released to date was planned from the beginning, so the entire framework of the game as we currently know was thought about before release, along with the gradual dripfeed of new cards, and the warbands they were packaged with.

He seemed to think that was unusual (certainly for a GW game), I’d have thought it’s not so different to how eg. Magic releases a new set every year or whatever.

But it was interesting to think that now is the time when they are presumably planning another wave and ~480 cards to go with it. Wonder what kind of stuff we’ll get :)

I’m hoping for smaller critter Warbands with a Big Guy, and some Elves and Kharadron Dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

ineptmule posted:

One guy at the tourney yesterday pointed out something that I was aware of but hadn’t really considered before, which is that every card released to date was planned from the beginning, so the entire framework of the game as we currently know was thought about before release, along with the gradual dripfeed of new cards, and the warbands they were packaged with.

He seemed to think that was unusual (certainly for a GW game), I’d have thought it’s not so different to how eg. Magic releases a new set every year or whatever.

But it was interesting to think that now is the time when they are presumably planning another wave and ~480 cards to go with it. Wonder what kind of stuff we’ll get :)

I’m hoping for smaller critter Warbands with a Big Guy, and some Elves and Kharadron Dwarves.

Magic does a set every 3 months and plans two years in advance. Just recently they had their worst standard ever for the past year and it's finally getting good again after old cards rotated out. I hope that Shadespire does well again on their next release, this game is great.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ineptmule posted:

GHOSTS

edit: Probably something nurgle, elves, more stormcast

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ok, played 2 games today and yesterday:

Starter Set, I played the Reavers and got my rear end whooped by my friend who has never played a minis game before. I don't like them and don't think I'll play them again.

Today was my Orks vs my coworker's Reavers. I tabled him, he killed 2 of my Boyz. I ended up winning by 1 VP because I managed my cards poorly and had a lot of dead weight. Fortunately for me, he rolled terribly most of the game.

Really enjoying how fast this game is though. And as someone not keen on the hobby side, I love the easy assemble models the most

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, uh, GW is rereleasing all of the current warbands for some reason, but without cards. I'm not sure what market they're chasing with this. AoS players might want them for their armies, Shadespire players may want to paint up inspired alternates. But it's not like the Shadespire boxes were that pricy to begin with. I'm wondering how much GW will actually discount them and I'm expecting like a $5 difference. At which point, why bother?

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 21, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

So, uh, GW is rereleasing all of the current warbands for some reason, but without cards. I'm not sure what market they're chasing with this. AoS players might want them for their armies, Shadespire players may want to paint up inspired alternates. But it's not like the Shadespire boxes were that pricy to begin with. I wondering how much GW will actually discount them and I'm expecting like a $5 difference. At which point, why bother?

At a guess, they're getting the cards made by a 3rd party, but the plastics are in-house, so the unit costs of a box without cards mean that overall they make more money on the sale. That's the only thing I can think of though and I can't really see it being worthwhile.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Seems strange, especially considering that the request I've heard most often is players wanting to buy the cards without the models, not the other way around.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah, this is the opposite of what I was hoping for...

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Some of the warbands are great candidates for other modelling projects so I might make some use of this.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Perhaps the plan is to also release the entire generic card set as a separate package?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I doubt it, releasing just the cards probably hurts their bottom line.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
The models were originally going to be EZ build AoS stuff, so they are eventually getting released as such. It gives Stormcast and Khorne 4 easy build kits each though.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I’m quite tempted to re-do my Severin and get rid of his left arm & helmet - I gave all my SCE bare heads so him being the only one carrying a helm around is a bit bizarre.

Probably won’t bother though as it would mean painting him again.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Can you play Sprint and Sudden Skittering to make a rat Move Speed 20? :monocle:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

ineptmule posted:

Just finished playing in my first Shadespire tournament at the London Grand Tournament. 4 matches, W1 D2 L1 and finished 25/35 so a pretty consistently mediocre performance, but my games all felt close and with clear indications of how to do better - except when playing a passive Stormcast player who didn’t know the rules and kept thinking there was another round in the game (first time I allowed him to convince me, second time I was having none of it.) His English was poor so he didn’t really understand some of the cards, which is clearly not his fault and not a big deal but it’s a pretty huge handicap. Even so I only drew against him, so maybe it’s not the kiss of death I am assuming it to be :sweatdrop:

My warband was nominated for best painted for some reason, despite being very much work in progress. I put a lot of care into the faces which I guess paid off - as Eavy Metal has said all along, the face is the focal point of a model! ;-*

Played at the LGT at the weekend, for my first Grand Clash. Played as Magore's Fiends and went W3 L1, all going 2-0 except for the loss which was 2-1.

The first match was against aggro Reavers and bloody Hell this is an unfair match-up. I was able to bait my opponent forward, who would then be pummelled by any of the Fiends. The highlight of the match for me was sending Zharkus deep into my opponent's side with Hidden Paths, charging in the final turn and whiffing the attack - but my opponent then tried 4 activations to kill him, all failing but triggering the Reaction attack, which all failed until the last turn, and killed Kharsus.

Second match was against Jon, the person who went on to come second in the tournament. Now, we've played a fair few games against each other - each time I've lost (sometimes narrowly, sometimes a lot), but learned a lot. And thank gently caress we'd played two games the night before, as this completely changed my deck. We actually asked if we could swap with anybody else with our score ratios, as we've played so much against each other. This couldn't happen, so we had our match... Very tense, I think we were both let down by poor rolling - in one game I didn't have a successful roll until the end of the second turn, and Jon has an uncanny ability to roll crits when needed. I used the Hidden Paths, Time Trap and Ready For Action combo and STILL only managed to kill one rat in three attacks.

Third match was against somebody who was part of a group who'd all come from Italy to play in the London GT (ouch). My first mirror match against Fiends, we had very similar decks - but whatever luck I didn't have in the previous game swung completely back in this one. I was rolling crits for defence and then crits for reaction shots. It was frustrating or my opponent, and made it very difficult for him to control the board, so I'd be able to mug his models one at a time. The only surprise was when he pulled an unexpected Supremacy out of his deck.

At this point I was surprised to find myself in seventh position - I was expecting to come mid-table and would have been happy with that. But it did mean I went into my last game with a little bit of hope that I could place higher.

My fourth match was against Stormcast. I was a little anxious about this, as although I have a very aggro deck, I haven't played against defensive SCE with the Fiends at all. In the end, I didn't have to worry, as my opponent deployed everybody as close to the middle as possible, but with the advantage of board placement providing him with a decent bottleneck. This was easily my favourite game - despite the stake of it being a possible decider whether one of us would go into the final, we both played with a lot of humour and courtesy. SCE versus Fiends is hilarious - if a Fiend whiffs an attack and the SCE saves, then the SCE inspires - but if the SCE fails an attack, Fiends can react and possibly inspire, but if the SCE saves then they inspire. Despite the game being somewhat of a moshpit in the middle of the board, we both had some great plays to wring the most effects out of our cards. A great opponent, and somebody I'm trying to get to come to our Shadespire meets in future.

In the end I took the game, which placed me in third at the end of the day, netting me my second lot of fancy organised play swag. The rest of the LondonGT might have had massive issues, but the non-40K elements seemed to go smoothly. I don't think I'll bother with the LGT unless there are massive changes (or somebody else tries to run one), but I'm definitely up for trying more Grand Clashes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any suggestions for a Rat deck?

I've got the Core Set, Skaven, Orks, and S-Guard. The official deck list site has been down for days :(

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Depends if you want to go aggro or objective. This is a brutal aggro deck, but you need to know how to play it - the idea is to starve the enemy of glory, and use Skritch for surgical strikes. All ploys are then used to defend Skritch from attack.

In case anybody wants to see my Fiends decklist, it's here. I've since changed up a couple of cards, but have only tested them in a match against Orcs - and Fiends are probably Orcs' worst match-up, so I'm not taking anything from that result.

hexa fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 31, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That looks really fun, too bad it uses cards from like every set.

That's the one thing I strongly dislike about this game. Not just having to buy an expansion for cards, but that you only get 1 copy of the card so I gotta re-sleeve something if I want to use it in multiple decks.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

New cards-only expansion announced, will add faction-exclusive and neutral cards to buff Leaders.

Sab669 posted:

That's the one thing I strongly dislike about this game. Not just having to buy an expansion for cards, but that you only get 1 copy of the card so I gotta re-sleeve something if I want to use it in multiple decks.

Do you use faction sleeves?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

That looks really fun, too bad it uses cards from like every set.

Use the same sleeves for everything (two colors, one for each deck type). I recommend Dragon Shield Mattes since you're unlikely to have any different cuts between boxes of sleeves.

It does suck that I can't build two aggressive decks without swapping a few key cards between them, but at least if they're in the same sleeves, changing decks is easy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I'll have to switch to generic sleeves I guess. Oh well, much more economical.

Edit: Just played my first game with my Skaven, holy crap these guys are fun.

I did a few very illegal things (charged with Skritch, then brought a Rat back later that round) and misread a few cards and a few misplays but I had a ton of fun against my cowrker's Reavers.

It was a tie game at the end, until an errata check determined he was able to score Khorne Cares Not after I popped one of my rats via Expendable.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 1, 2018

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Sab669 posted:

Yea I'll have to switch to generic sleeves I guess. Oh well, much more economical.

Edit: Just played my first game with my Skaven, holy crap these guys are fun.

I did a few very illegal things (charged with Skritch, then brought a Rat back later that round) and misread a few cards and a few misplays but I had a ton of fun against my cowrker's Reavers.

It was a tie game at the end, until an errata check determined he was able to score Khorne Cares Not after I popped one of my rats via Expendable.

If you get Second Wind you can legit do that illegal charge & rez move.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm finally getting my own place this weekend, which means my cost of living is more than doubling.

No more spare income for hobbies, and there's so many Shadespire sets I still don't have :negative:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Huh. Wasn't expecting this, but it's a good idea. I hope they come out with more neutral packs like this in the future. It's a good way to expand the game without leaving the older warbands behind. It's also a nice stopgap release between miniature waves.

Speaking of which, I know we saw what might've been new spookghost and stormcast warbands at Warhammer Fest. Was there any actual information or was it just pictures of models that may or may not even be for Shadespire? I'm guessing there'll eventually be a second starter set with new boards.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Finished my farstriders. These were really nice to paint, I love the sculpting across the entire line

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Booyah- posted:

Finished my farstriders. These were really nice to paint, I love the sculpting across the entire line

The whole paint job is awesome but the bird and the capes are some next level poo poo. :)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Reince Penis posted:

The whole paint job is awesome but the bird and the capes are some next level poo poo. :)

Haha thanks. They're really nothing special, just drybrushing on the bird. The cloaks aren't even drybrushed, just basecoated with ushbati bone and then washed 2x with seraphim sepia then once with AP strong tone, washing just the parts near the recesses and gradually covering less and less. Super easy and now I want to paint more vanguard.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

x-post

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Not as good as the Farstriders that were just posted here, but I'm proud of them anyway.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i really wanna see a sigmarine mask painted in a flesh tone now

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Here's a question. Is there a source anywhere for the rules and cards in mandarin?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Crossposting from the miniature thread, almost done with my Ork test model.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Good looking Orcs.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Is it just me or do the new Easy-Build kits look just like Shadespire warbands... ?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

They do. But now you're in the minset where every easy build looks like a Shadespire band. This means there'll be another 8 EZ build kits for AoS for various factions for the Shadespire release.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Thundercloud posted:

They do. But now you're in the minset where every easy build looks like a Shadespire band. This means there'll be another 8 EZ build kits for AoS for various factions for the Shadespire release.

To your first point, sure, but that's shadeglass on all the bases:

I can't parse your second sentence there. Which are you saying comes first, the kits or their shadespire rules?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Those are absolutely warbands, but I wonder why they don't just announce them. What would be amazing is if they sold the warband and cards separately, but I doubt that will happen.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Is it though? The bases just look like the generic graveyard stuff GW's been making all the stores paint up in preparation for the new box.

Besides, we're probably due a new Underworlds setting after this card-pack update.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SteelMentor posted:

Is it though? The bases just look like the generic graveyard stuff GW's been making all the stores paint up in preparation for the new box.

Besides, we're probably due a new Underworlds setting after this card-pack update.

Those stormcast have exactly the same bases as the shadespire stormcast. And model-wise they both have an obvious leader model, also in the same pose as steelhearts champions.

And we've already seen these, with that new stormcast faction icon on the cards as well:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If I had to guess, I'd put two of those in the relaunched starter box and two of them as the later releases, a la Khorne/Stormcast in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The only reason I wouldn't necessarily think most of those are destined to be Shadespire warbands is, aside from the first group of Stormcast, an almost complete lack of differentiation amongst the models, especially in the ghosts. With the notable exception of the Dwarves, all the warbands for Shadespire so far have been really good at giving each model in the warband a clear, easily-identifiable silhouette, usually with different weapon loadouts. Since each model has its own rules, that's really important from a gameplay perspective.

I could be wrong (I hope I'm not), but thinking about playing against those (awesome-looking, to be sure) banshees, all of which look basically exactly the same, makes my eye go all twitchy.