Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

InitialDave posted:

Let me show you on the chart where a manufacturer trying to optimise for economy targets gives the merest hint of a gently caress about such problems.

Yeah well the joke is on them. I carry a spare and some tools just in case. 42mpg highway? Try 36 :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you have a job where missing half a day is a world ending issue you picked the wrong line of work. :colbert:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I saw a dually Silverado, maybe 1996 model, crabwalking down I 70, I saw the wheel was about 45 degrees to the right. From the back it looked a little off but in the rear view it looked like he was changing lanes aggressively. The front headlight was in line with the flared drivers side fender, and I could see the whole right side. Wild man.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Tire chat in the other thread reminded me I had a twofer today. Broken down Durango on donk sized wheels broken down in the median on I70, tilted backwards as it had lost its drivers rear wheel. Later seen about a 1/4 later, one wheel against the center barrier.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

StormDrain posted:

Tire chat in the other thread reminded me I had a twofer today. Broken down Durango on donk sized wheels broken down in the median on I70, tilted backwards as it had lost its drivers rear wheel. Later seen about a 1/4 later, one wheel against the center barrier.

Change the car to a brodozer Excursion, and the distance a lot less, and this describes the scene I saw coming back from a ride one day last year.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
My personal best for a flat tire change was a tick under 4 minutes. It was -30 and windy at the time and I was in no way going to take my loving time with it. (flat, jack, lug wrench tossed into the back seat when I was done)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Flint Ironstag posted:

Change the car to a brodozer Excursion, and the distance a lot less, and this describes the scene I saw coming back from a ride one day last year.

Back around 20-ish years ago I was driving with friends to the mall and we witnessed a lady lose her right front driver's wheel in the middle of the interstate. No accidents thankfully but there was a big cloud of dust, a wheel bouncing forcefully across all 4 lanes and hitting the barrier, and thankfully the lady made it safely to the shoulder. We all kinda nervous-laughed at how lucky the situation was.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Cage posted:

Theyre already doing this, but in the opposite direction. A lot of cheap cars just give you a can of fix-a-flat.

My $115,000-when-new BMW M6 had a $70 can of BMW™ Fix-A-Flat for flat tires. I needed it once and it just clogged the valve so it wouldn't take air - even at 50psi. That next week I dropped 600+ bucks on a donut spare and scissors jack that took up pretty much all the space in the (compromised because of the convertible top) trunk. Then I sold the car about three months later :suicide:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The ultimate driving machine

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
This got a chuckle out of me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

sincx posted:

This got a chuckle out of me.

There's a Suzuki Cappuccino near my home that has a TVR badge on the bonnet. Seems to suit it as well.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ausgezeichnet posted:

My $115,000-when-new BMW M6 had a $70 can of BMW™ Fix-A-Flat for flat tires. I needed it once and it just clogged the valve so it wouldn't take air - even at 50psi. That next week I dropped 600+ bucks on a donut spare and scissors jack that took up pretty much all the space in the (compromised because of the convertible top) trunk. Then I sold the car about three months later :suicide:
How do you spend $600 on a donut and death jack? Not trying to be obtuse but it's a tiny wheel, tiny tire, and tiny jack. Do you need to buy a bmw brand donut with tpms to keep your warranty or something?

Cage fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 10, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Back around 20-ish years ago I was driving with friends to the mall and we witnessed a lady lose her right front driver's wheel in the middle of the interstate. No accidents thankfully but there was a big cloud of dust, a wheel bouncing forcefully across all 4 lanes and hitting the barrier, and thankfully the lady made it safely to the shoulder. We all kinda nervous-laughed at how lucky the situation was.

Yeah, a few years ago I was doing around 70 on the interstate. Opposite direction a SUV lost a tire and basically bounced over my hood after flying through the median.

Should have bought a lottery ticket that day. A second or two difference and I would have been on the 6 o'clock news.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cage posted:

How do you spend $600 on a donut and death jack? Not trying to be obtuse but it's a tiny wheel, tiny tire, and tiny jack. Do you need to buy a bmw brand donut with tpms to keep your warranty or something?

Probably needs an insane donut wheel to clear big brakes yet fit in the tiny well they have. I bet only BMW makes it.

My brother's rx-8 has an OEM spare and jack and most rx-8 owners seem in awe of it. Also the 120k mi motor that is fine.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire/BIM-SST-F12M6-KIT.html

this one's 850 with the jack. i assume the op's got a e6x m6, that one is a little under 500.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

xergm posted:

Counterpoint:

gently caress widow-makers.

poo poo like that makes me sooooo glad I accidentally broke the one that came with my car first time I changed a flat (unscrewed it too far to make it go flat after using it, thankfully this was *after* i used it) and just got myself a nice little duralast hydraulic pump.

RollsRoyce
Feb 11, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Just tootling on down the highway this morning in the rain at a relatively fair speed, maybe 60 in a 55 with the light traffic I was in. All of a sudden everyone in front of me comes to a silent but screechworthy halt and we sit for ten minutes or so while I can't see poo poo because of the rain and then police appear and an ambulance is making its way up behind us.

Single car accident about four cars ahead of me, some young girl managed to roll her SUV in the left lane. I can only imagine she must have hydroplaned and her left front tire caught the jersey barrier and up it went

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Having a Greek fiance means there is now a small vial of blessed water in our car. I am reminded of a car I saw the other day with a sticker reading "Jesus is my air bag".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

u brexit ukip it posted:

Having a Greek fiance means there is now a small vial of blessed water in our car.
I thought having a Greek fiance meant something very different, but there you go.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Cage posted:

nm posted:

Probably needs an insane donut wheel to clear big brakes yet fit in the tiny well they have. I bet only BMW makes it.

My brother's rx-8 has an OEM spare and jack and most rx-8 owners seem in awe of it. Also the 120k mi motor that is fine.

That's exactly it. I could only find the E64-appropriate spare set at Bav Auto and Bimmerzone. Bimmerzone was out of stock so hello, Bav Auto. I got the fancy nylon bag with their logo on it, since I was going to use the whole rigamarole while wearing a suit on the way to work while on Alligator Alley in the middle of the Everglades.

hifi posted:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire/BIM-SST-F12M6-KIT.html

this one's 850 with the jack. i assume the op's got a e6x m6, that one is a little under 500.

2008 M6. E64. It was $539 with shipping.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://i.imgur.com/LyiNywL.gifv

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I thought having a Greek fiance meant something very different, but there you go.

Well, one doesn’t preclude the other.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

InitialDave posted:

"Blessed water" is code for "K-Y gel".

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

RollsRoyce posted:

Just tootling on down the highway this morning in the rain at a relatively fair speed, maybe 60 in a 55 with the light traffic I was in. All of a sudden everyone in front of me comes to a silent but screechworthy halt and we sit for ten minutes or so while I can't see poo poo because of the rain and then police appear and an ambulance is making its way up behind us.

Single car accident about four cars ahead of me, some young girl managed to roll her SUV in the left lane. I can only imagine she must have hydroplaned and her left front tire caught the jersey barrier and up it went

Oh no my car is pulling slightly to the left, I had better yank the wheel hard to the right. Oh no now I'm turning too far to the right, I should yank the wheel hard to the left! Oh no why am I rolling why didn't anyone ever teach me how to driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive.

MisterOblivious posted:

Is landscape video so hard?

loving portrait view.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Somehow that trailer was back in the lot a couple days later.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have questions.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

iospace posted:

I have questions.

The answer, as always, is Uhaul.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At the next tradeshow uhaul is gonna have a model demo for the bad stuff that happens when you put all the weight on the left side of the trailer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sel Nar posted:

The answer, as always, is Uhaul.
Always relevant when a uhaul clip gets posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUHf6rklYCg

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

u brexit ukip it posted:

Having a Greek fiance means there is now a small vial of blessed water in our car. I am reminded of a car I saw the other day with a sticker reading "Jesus is my air bag".

Only one?

My sister-in-law's husband is Greek orthodox and literally everything they do is done in threes...

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

:chanpop:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lol, just lol that we waste all of our drone strikes on Pakistanis instead of bad drivers here

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

lol, just lol that we waste all of our drone strikes on Pakistanis instead of bad drivers here

Run for Congress I will vote for you

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

Cripes, now when I do something questionable I'll be freaked out about black helicopters.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Is taking the driver's door off pickups and Jeeps a thing now? I've seen a handful of beater trucks and one Jeep that were all missing that one door, seems like too much of a coincidence.

Since I brought up trucks, dredged up a memory of a few years ago when I was driving through Arizona and saw this kid in a really lowered pickup. The suspension was so stiff he would get a bit of airtime in the seat after going over a speedbump. No matter how far he was driving, it couldn't have been a very comfortable trip.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sleepy.eyes posted:

Is taking the driver's door off pickups and Jeeps a thing now? I've seen a handful of beater trucks and one Jeep that were all missing that one door, seems like too much of a coincidence.

Taking all the doors off of off road vehicles is pretty common, especially with Jeeps because the CJ/Wrangler platform is designed to make it relatively easy to do so.

Taking one single door off seems more like laziness or not giving a gently caress after damaging one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

gently caress that noise - only time I've ever had that poo poo has been in rentals/someone else's car. Absolute minimum bottle jack for like 30+ years now, outright (cheap/small) hydraulic floor jack whenever possible

I keep the bottle jacks from every car I scrap/total. I think I'm up to eleventy now.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

wolrah posted:

Taking all the doors off of off road vehicles is pretty common, especially with Jeeps because the CJ/Wrangler platform is designed to make it relatively easy to do so.

Taking one single door off seems more like laziness or not giving a gently caress after damaging one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dave Inc. posted:

loving portrait view.

Where is the video from the guy in the front passenger seat? He at least turned his phone. But no I have to watch a lovely video of some douchebag filming in portrait.

If I saw this in a parking lot I would park as far away as possible. Or just say gently caress it and go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Taking the doors off of Wranglers has been a thing for a long time. There aren't many other vehicles designed to be rigid enough without doors on the roads, so it's stupid and dangerous to do it with anything else. Body on frame construction isn't enough, the body needs to have a high sill to keep your feet in.