Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

The funny thing is that I pick up a round, palm-sized key attached to a 2’ elastic cord via muscle memory almost every day at work. I forget which round of the “I tied a mouse to my wrist to make a game rule” it was, but it was a funny day when I realized I’d passed his test. I remember thinking that was BS back when I read that anecdote in Dragon Mag.

You see, the key is on a cord attached to a fence. The base of the cord is easier to reach than twisting and bending to pick up the key, so I use the cord to pull the key into my hand without needing to look. There was a day when I did that and realized “it’s the goddammed computer mouse...”

even if you want to do the dumb version of it and swing it into the air and catch it it's still not that loving hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

User0015 posted:

You can't be serious. But you probably are.

Did they also try to juggle 3 bowling pins and then declare it impossible?

Okay, so back in 2011, Paizo released the Ultimate Combat supplement for Pathfinder, which introduced rules for guns and the Gunslinger class.

Players eventually figured out that the best way to deal damage with the Gunslinger was to wield akimbo pistols, but it only worked if you could fire-off all your attacks, which meant you needed to be able to reload as a Free Action. You could do this if you took the Rapid Reload feat and used Alchemical Cartridges for ammunition ...

... but you also needed a free hand in order to be able to reload, which you normally wouldn't if you're wielding a pistol in both hands.

Enter the weapon cord:

Using this, you could fire off as many shots as you needed to:

- Start with your primary weapon drawn, and your secondary weapon dangling/dropped on the ground, but still connected to you via a weapon cord. Since you only have one weapon drawn, you have one hand free
- Declare a Full Attack Action
- Fire all your primary weapon shots, reloading as necessary as a Free Action and with one hand free
- Drop your primary weapon, but it is still connected to you via a weapon cord
- Retrieve your secondary weapon into hands as a Swift Action, using the weapon cord
- Fire all your secondary weapon shots, reloading as necessary as a Free Action and with one hand free (this time the "primary" hand is the one that's free)
- On your next turn, what is currently your "secondary" weapon will become the new primary, and you will alternate

This caused a firestorm of controversy with people debating over whether it was "plausible" or "realistic" that A. you reload this many times, and that B. flipping a weapon-corded weapon back into one's hand was "only" a Swift Action.

Enter Jason Bulmahn, lead designer for Pathfinder:

Because of this "playtesting", the weapon cords were later errata'd:

and the attack pattern no longer worked, because you couldn't make a Full Attack if you needed to save the Move Action to retrieve your weapon.

but the entire basis for the "nerf" was some dude trying to play ball-on-a-string for a couple minutes, and deciding that their experience would be reflective of an experienced combatant's.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s hard to believe that the Paizo office was devoid of NERF blasters in 2013.

http://nerfhaven.com/forums/topic/9382-how-to-dual-wield-mavericks/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baby T. Love posted:

Factoring in Dash solves these issues, which I was doing but I guess you didn't read the strikethrough which is fair enough. I realize this means the average person could just dash and jump 20, which seems high to me but I feel like it's better to have that problem than one that limits the players. I can't comment on the Fighter power jump beyond saying that for my game 20 feet in armor or 30 feet with some access to Bonus Action Dash is sufficiently superhuman.

The difference between the Fighter and the Barbarian is usually armor, so you could just make the Barbarian Features Unarmored only, like Unarmored Defense and Unarmored Movement already are. If you think the vanilla rules are bad because "they don't follow" and don't want to use them then of course you aren't going to consider this alternate system that is one step more complicated. If this were calculating to hit chance or something I would agree with you but generally speaking your character's running long jump length isn't something you're going to have to calculate on the fly, so I'm not interested in "cutting the fat" or "making it intuitive," I only want it to be relatively realistic for starting characters and satisfyingly empowering for high level ones.

I appreciate the criticism.

e: I went back and edited the original and realized that if you don't consider Dash, my model would be ok to use for standing long jump.
If you need to use the dash action then now we have a situation where Fighters can't jump more than 10 feet and also attack on the same turn.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Anyone here play Adventure's League? Could anyone help me with some questions? Googling reveals AL Player's Guides from vers 1.0 -> 7.03, and honestly that might be homebrew. I have no idea what the current rules are.

1.) Is "Story Origin" still a thing?
2.) How do I determine starting lifestyle? Apparently one of the AL PHB had a chart based on background, but I can't find it.
3.) Would you recommend a faction?

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
The current rules are here: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/208178/DD-Adventurers-League-Players-Pack

Story origin is not a thing, though a limit to using rules from PHB+1 is. The different +1 choices are wildly unbalanced from one another, with Xanathar's Guide to Everything being the strongest, but you don't have to choose a +1 rules source book until you use something from it.

Lifestyle doesn't matter except when you're spending downtime so just pick one.

Pick whichever faction you like. Any faction is better than no faction. There's also a Guide to the Factions of Faerun floating around somewhere--iirc it's bafflingly missing from the Player Pack. The biggest mechanical difference between them is that you can buy certain magic items from your faction using downtime. Emerald Enclave has a cool non-attunement item, but they're all okay, more or less.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Emy posted:

The current rules are here: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/208178/DD-Adventurers-League-Players-Pack

Story origin is not a thing, though a limit to using rules from PHB+1 is. The different +1 choices are wildly unbalanced from one another, with Xanathar's Guide to Everything being the strongest, but you don't have to choose a +1 rules source book until you use something from it.

Lifestyle doesn't matter except when you're spending downtime so just pick one.

Pick whichever faction you like. Any faction is better than no faction. There's also a Guide to the Factions of Faerun floating around somewhere--iirc it's bafflingly missing from the Player Pack. The biggest mechanical difference between them is that you can buy certain magic items from your faction using downtime. Emerald Enclave has a cool non-attunement item, but they're all okay, more or less.

The PHB + 1 thing isn't foreign to me, I seem to remember it existing in some Pathfinder games I used to play, but I could be off. What I want to play is basically just in the PHB. Variant Human Paladin of Devotion with Noble (Knight). I was thinking the Gauntlet order. What +1 should I use? I assume it would be one that put more Paladin spells in, but I can't seem to really recall what would be the best from those options. Any suggestion on that?

Thank you for posting the current one.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
There aren't many spells for paladins outside of core. I don't recall what's in Tome of Foes' scant player options, but XGE has three spells for paladins. It also has some strong options if you want to multi-class, because it has a ton of other sub-classes and spells in it (hexblade warlock and sword bard being some stand-outs for paladins). As I said, the +1s aren't very balanced.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, so back in 2011, Paizo released the Ultimate Combat supplement for Pathfinder, which introduced rules for guns and the Gunslinger class.

That's insane on a number of levels.

It says a lot about these people that they spent so much time on skirting rules, abusing mechanics and testing using a cord mouse as a stand in for a loaded gun, and at no point did anyone point out baldrics are a thing.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Pathfinder devs, probably posted:

I failed to climb a rope in gym class in third grade, so we're errata-ing the DC to climb a rope to be 50

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Splicer posted:

If you need to use the dash action then now we have a situation where Fighters can't jump more than 10 feet and also attack on the same turn.

I'm totally ok with that. If they want to jump 20 feet and attack in full plate in a single round they can take the Charger feat at some point or use magical equipment.

e: If you really wanted to, you could give Fighters a feature that lets them use thier Bonus Action to make a single attack after taking the Dash action.

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 11, 2018

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
How is Asmodeus pronounced? I have been saying Az-mo-dayus (like Amadeus) but I have been told that is wrong.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

RC Cola posted:

The rainbow metal set(I wanted the metal silver gothica d20) a metal silver gothica d6, the swamp set of plastic, and the rolling tray. I almost wish I had stuck with the golem set like you got. Those look really cool.

I love these 'golem' sets, but I kinda wish I was in your shoes now! They started the Trevor Project donations for this month so I didn't see it, and those rainbow dice are loving rad! I might buy more before the month is out now, lol.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

How is Asmodeus pronounced? I have been saying Az-mo-dayus (like Amadeus) but I have been told that is wrong.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/asmodeus

az-muh-dee-uh s

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Baby T. Love posted:

I'm totally ok with that. If they want to jump 20 feet and attack in full plate in a single round they can take the Charger feat at some point or use magical equipment.

e: If you really wanted to, you could give Fighters a feature that lets them use thier Bonus Action to make a single attack after taking the Dash action.

That's just the charger feat but even worse.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

The Bee posted:

That's just the charger feat but even worse.

It isn't worse if it's a Feature instead of a Feat, because Features are free.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

Josef bugman posted:

I usually say it like you have it written here, but I've also fallen into 'Azmodee-us' once in a while.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
rear end mode, us

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baby T. Love posted:

Jesus wept.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Baby T. Love posted:

ranger dot txt

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Anyone got any rad pics of Bugbears? I need to make up my Roll20 token for tomorrow night.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Toshimo posted:

Anyone got any rad pics of Bugbears? I need to make up my Roll20 token for tomorrow night.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Toshimo posted:

There's some sweet bugbears in trenchcoats floating around from D20 Modern.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Like what kind of bugbear image are you looking for?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey 5e thread. Long time no post.

I'm looking for advice for advice about building a necromancer.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

I used this one a bit ago too.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Gridlocked posted:

Wizard, School of Necromancy, INT is your primary stat, DEX and CON your secondaries, leave chargen with at least 16 INT and 14 CON.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Long ago, during the third and a half age of the world, clerics, wizards, and dread necromancers each had advantages in the field of necromancy. But these are those days no more, and in the Fifth Age, wizards of the necromancy school are King by virtue of being the only contender. Nothing else has bonuses to undead.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ryuujin posted:

Thanks for these. I'm going Bugbear Assassin because it's incredibly hilarious to me to basically be playing a guy with the mutant body proportions of Michael Phelps who is simultaneously The Stealthiest Motherfucker On Faerun.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Gridlocked posted:

http://blogofholding.com/?p=6826

Maybe make your inevitable horde of skeleton warriors one stat block?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don't think anyone posted the new UA yet.

https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_GiantSoul.pdf

Josef bugman posted:

As far as official D&D goes. Both az-mo-day-es and az-moh-dee-us are proper. az-moh-dee-us seems to be the most popular right now.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/File:Asmodeus1.ogg
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/File:Asmodeus2.ogg

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 12, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
This subclass has subclasses. Has science gone too far?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I believe you missed the greatest bugbear of all

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Asmodeus is a weird one.

The greek version of the text in the book of tobin should be "Asmodaios" in the latin alphabet, but in English texts it's "Asmodeus" for some reason, probably because everyone involved int he translation was on laudanum. Regardless, the accepted pronunciation is az-muh-dee-us (short "o") unless you're a Crowley fanboy, because he thought it sounded cooler as az-moh-dee-us.

That poo poo's probably irrelevant though, because it looks like the final -os or -us was somehow added in the old Greek translation. If you go straight from the Hebrew translation to english letters you get "Azmodai", pronounced (short "o" again) "az-muh-day". Which is likely to also be wrong, because the "original" text isn't in Hebrew, either, and it also turns out that the "original" text isn't original, because the book of tobin's also in the dead sea scrolls, making at least 500 years older than anyone thought it was, but apparently nobody's allowed to look at the originals of those for whatever reason so gently caress actually knows.

Anyway, what you should take away from this is that the correct pronunciation is definitely

but since your mortal tongue can't handle that, I'd stick with "please don't kill me".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 12, 2018

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Toshimo posted:

Thanks for these. I'm going Bugbear Assassin because it's incredibly hilarious to me to basically be playing a guy with the mutant body proportions of Michael Phelps who is simultaneously The Stealthiest Motherfucker On Faerun.

Oh found another bugbear

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Oh found another bugbear

Fancy bugbears are the best bugbears.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

AlphaDog posted:

Asmodeus is a weird one.

The greek version of the text in the book of tobin should be "Asmodaios" in the latin alphabet, but in English texts it's "Asmodeus" for some reason, probably because everyone involved int he translation was on laudanum

They love latin deus all day long etc

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Huh, that's neat. I'd only seen this floating around, mainly on 4chan but also on Facebook occasionally

I mean, that's enough for me to swear off any sort of system based off of 3rd edition D&D in and of itself. To find out that it was in response to people trying to make the Gunslinger an actually viable class is funny, in some sort of ironic way.

As for bugbear pics, I'm actually pretty OK with Eric Belisle's work from Pathfinder, as it looks like a savage brute, but one that's smart enough to use armor and complex weapons.

fancy bugbears are ok too

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
No way THIS is a bugbear. :colbert:

edit

quote:

They have no compunctions about eating anything they can kill, including humans, goblins, and any monsters smaller than themselves. They are also fond of wine and strong ale, often drinking to excess.

Bugbears have two main goals in life: survival and treasure.

Respect.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

Toshimo posted:

Bugbear!