Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Best Case Scenario for me personally based on the information currently available: Fallout 76 is basically a land based subnautica, I can travel around at my own pace exploring and discovering and building little houses for myself. I can play on a private server, or preferably just offline entirely. Online mode and co-op stuff exists for people who want that stuff, but I don't gotta touch that crap with a ten foot pole unless I feel like hanging out with my buddies. Mods are supported, console commands are available to people playing in single player mod. Mothman is there and he's my friend.

Worst Case Scenario for me personally based on the information currently available: Online mode is necessary. Playing with strangers is necessary. Assholes keep breaking my poo poo. Mods are forbidden. No Mothman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

7c Nickel posted:

People really need to learn to separate "ruined" from "not exactly what I want". I'm probably gonna skip this one and that's fine. Not everything has to be for you.

extremely true and good advice about video games in general

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I can't fathom how mods are going to be anything other than Creation Club micro-DLCs within the framework and parameters they've set out for how this game works.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Dan Didio posted:

I can't fathom how mods are going to be anything other than Creation Club micro-DLCs within the framework and parameters they've set out for how this game works.

People can see your $3 Pip-Boy mod now.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

Agreed, if for no other reason than there is no other feasible way of delivering the same mod to everyone who connects to the server.

TheSwizzler posted:

People can see your $3 Pip-Boy mod now.

Cosmetic-only paid upgrades is the best possible outcome. Pay to win is bullshit and I'm hoping that Bethesda understands this.

E: Todd my man, let me spend $10 on a bright yellow power armor skin and $5 on a pink gun with hearts on it and you probably got $20 from me. Planetside 2 Higby's Heroes represent!

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 12, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if fo76 came out last year it absolutely would've had lootboxes

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

if fo76 came out last year it absolutely would've had lootboxes

It still might tbh.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

It still might tbh.

even bethseda isn't stupid enough to do that after how the past year has gone

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brother Entropy posted:

Of course they are

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

I'm definitely going to Goonsquad up for this game, but sadly it means that I'm going to miss a lot of the early content. I'm going to grind materials a bit and throw 'em in the pot, log off for the night and go to work, come back, and I'll have a suit of Power Armour, a big-rear end base and all the ammo I need waiting for me without getting to play through the content. I could refuse it, of course, but then I'd immediately get ganked by hackers. (source: Ark, Rust)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

even bethseda isn't stupid enough

weeeeellllll

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brother Entropy posted:

There won't be lootboxes, but there are absolutely going to be microtransactions

I'm also not holding my breath that they will be able to implement this 'private servers' thing. I think it's damage control.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I guess it only makes sense that after a fallout that butters you up as a great hero for being a troop for the pre-war american dictatorship, the next step was one that butters you up for founding Vault City.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

frugalmaster posted:

We can talk all you want about how much you guys love Fallout 1-2 but Fallout 3 had an aesthetic and a style that was really unique even if it was different from the classic games and I feel more and more that Bethesda is ruining that too.

For me their Fallout was about slow classic 50s music and really funny GTAesque radio station hosts that would say random out of context things like "Don't feed the Yao Guai" and a classic 50s vibe and goofy world building quests with stupid dumb characters that did things that made no sense - like hiding in radiation booths to escape radioactive ants or dressing like superheroes and fighting each other - and there was so much variety there were slavers and cannibals and vampires and tunnel rats and aliens and... all that really disappeared in Fallout 4. The game didn't take itself too seriously. It poked fun at itself. The characters of the world poked fun at themselves. The bugs in the game made it all the more charming. Fallout 3 and NV were really where the series was at as a game and I feel that what we got with 4 was Fallout's equivalent of COD:MW2.

Yes, 'pervasive green overlay on washed out rubble' is an aesthetic. It's just a lovely one.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Also like "not taking yourself seriously" doesn't really excuse most of the humour being incredibly cringe inducing on a good day.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

Call of Duty is chugging right along with COD points, loot boxes, and a season pass to hide DLC maps behind. Bethesda is probably just as stupid.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Call of Duty is chugging right along with COD points, loot boxes, and a season pass to hide DLC maps behind. Bethesda is probably just as stupid.

Most of the moba-shooters are still using them too, along with Bethesda's own Fallout Shelter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes, 'pervasive green overlay on washed out rubble' is an aesthetic. It's just a lovely one.

Connoisseurs only give recognition to the pervasive yellow overlay on washed out rubble that was New Vegas.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

At least NV had the Strip.

Both were made much better by modding out the glow, yes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

After the big deal they made about standing up for the single player experience last year I didn't think they'd turn a classic single player rpg into a mutliplayer survival game either, but here we are.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

BGS: Let's introduce nukes and Game Theory, see how the players deal with mutually assured destruction. They shall calculate the Prisoner's Dilemma.

Players: Smash that nuke button and join our vaporization squad.

I kinda get the sense nobody at BGS has ever been on the internet.

TheSwizzler fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 12, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

TheSwizzler posted:

BGS: Let's introduce nukes and Game Theory, see how the players deal with mutually assured destruction. They shall calculate the Prisoner's Dilemma.

Players: Smash that nuke button and join our vaporization squad.

I kinda get the sense nobody at BGS has ever been on the internet.

Rockstar originally thought GTA Online could have a system where people could turn on each other after a mission and steal all the money for themselves, somehow it didn't work out???

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I like how they just gave up on the bit of Fallout they really sucked at - the story. "People have bitched relentlessly about how bad the story was for fallout 3 & 4, so let's just skip that part!"

Also, didn't Bethesda have this huge boner about never making a sequel for a game outside of chronological order?

I'm sort of okay with this whole mess if I can run a private server for friends. Last thing I want to do is play another ark/conan/rust game with loving pubbies. Also, I hope Todd H. plays his own beta and gets griefed to gently caress and back.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think the chronological order thing is only for games in the mainline series. Spinoffs like Redguard or 76 have more leeway.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It's funny that even the people who were new to the series with 3 and NV now feel as burned as everyone else did back then.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

antidote posted:

It's funny that even the people who were new to the series with 3 and NV now feel as burned as everyone else did back then.

How hard is NMA gloating right now?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Every server is going to be mandatory babyvore ERP and anybody who complains about it will have their steam account deleted or their console bricked for bigotry.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Every server is going to be mandatory babyvore ERP and anybody who complains about it will have their steam account deleted or their console bricked for bigotry.

Death Stranding spoilers!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

antidote posted:

there's still Wasteland 3

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

antidote posted:

Nope. All my friends are hyped for this new game. There's nothing I've wanted more than to share a wasteland experience with my friends.

The Fallout board game whetted my appetite for multiplayer Fallout.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

antidote posted:

Isn't it the opposite? We want more Fallout! I'm just not into multiplayer games, but if they had announced "Fallout 4: 2" I'd honestly gobble that poo poo up because I still dig the formula.

e: completely misread the post like an idiot :downs: thought you said burned OUT.

That said I still don't think this is some sort of evil plot, it's a spin-off game and that's fine. Might even be fun, but we'll see. It's probably not for me but I don't feel like they're ~ruining fallout~ or anything

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 12, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

My favorite part of the Bethesda Fallout games is exploring the great worlds they create (they are good at world building in my opinion) and my least favorite part is always dealing with the lovely writing (again, just my opinion.)

This game seems to be all exploration and building, which I liked and did a fair bit of in FO:4. and none of the lovely writing! Now I get to explore it and build in it with friends? Seems pretty awesome to me!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'd be down for exploration and building. Those were what I liked about FO4.

The problem is if I'm stuck with paying the price of constant open-world PVP and zero NPCs to get them.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

The past year has gone "loot boxes have made a crazy amount of money for everyone including Bethesda with Fallout Shelter"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd be down for exploration and building. Those were what I liked about FO4.

The problem is if I'm stuck with paying the price of constant open-world PVP and zero NPCs to get them.

Yeah, cause you get that same experience with Frost and that's boring af

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't think this game 'ruins' anything, but I'm really bewildered by people who aren't even a little bit hesitant. What they're promising sounds very helter skelter and unimpressive and there's absolutely no way this thing doesn't launch with a million technical problems.

The enemies look cool for the most part, though. It's a shame they didn't feel more of a need to just go all out throwing crazy poo poo in there and avoiding stuff like Super Mutants, which are kind of played out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not gonna be a Bethesda fallout without some raider faction pulling on American history to theme their gang aesthetics.

But there's flintlock pistols.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I can't get my head around no NPCs. The overseer is gonna be in the game right? Seems like an NPC to me. Knocking out NPC thralls in Conan and dragging them back to your base to help you build really made your poo poo feel fleshed out. RIP my dreams of Master Blaster raider thrall team

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
NPCs? Nope. Optimized game engine? Nope, got a Vaseline enb filter though!

Reminder that despite being their "best" optimized game fallout 4 runs horribly and rather than fix the engine they decided to add a 4K texture DLC that only makes it run worse.

And this game is four times the size and is also running multiplayer framework. Your PC is going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Nope. All my friends are hyped for this new game. There's nothing I've wanted more than to share a wasteland experience with my friends.

The Fallout board game whetted my appetite for multiplayer Fallout.

That’s not what’s been described. You’re getting Fallout: Ark.