Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The notch is a signature design feature now, it’s coming to everything now.

Apple Watch 4 gonna have a notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NotchOS

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So if my OG iPad Pro 13" seems to be getting crummy battery life, but Coconut Battery shows the battery health at 89%, what else in there to try to sort it out?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What are your top energy users?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got asked by a potential buyer if “find my iPad” and the iCloud lock are deactivated on my iPad I’m selling.

Is that accomplished when I “erase all content and settings” or do I need to manually log out of iCloud and uncheck “find my iPad”?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rolo posted:

I got asked by a potential buyer if “find my iPad” and the iCloud lock are deactivated on my iPad I’m selling.

Is that accomplished when I “erase all content and settings” or do I need to manually log out of iCloud and uncheck “find my iPad”?

You should sign out of iCloud and turn off Find my iPhone/iPad manually before erasing the data.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Those are the same thing, and you MUST do it manually before erasing, otherwise you'll have to reactivate it and do it, then erase again.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh drat, ok, thanks!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The even bezel to bezel screen of the X is totally worth the notch, it would look incredible at the iPad size.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FCKGW posted:

What are your top energy users?

Bah, I don't have it in front of me but it's not really used for much but Safari and Awful.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Dave posted:

The even bezel to bezel screen of the X is totally worth the notch, it would look incredible at the iPad size.

Awkward to hold, though

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Calaveron posted:

Awkward to hold, though

Yeah my 10.5 is perfect and if the bezel was any smaller on the sides or bottom I’d like it less.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rolo posted:

Yeah my 10.5 is perfect and if the bezel was any smaller on the sides or bottom I’d like it less.

I don't own many iThings but that seems to be the go to strategy for them. My old rear end iOS 6 iPod is significantly more user friendly than the iOS 11 iPod I have now. And I'm still grumpy about how the fiancee talked me into iOS 11 on the iPad when 10 was just better in every single way.

And that notch is ugly and it looks like all the Androids are copying it because Apple did it :negative:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Len posted:

I don't own many iThings but that seems to be the go to strategy for them. My old rear end iOS 6 iPod is significantly more user friendly than the iOS 11 iPod I have now. And I'm still grumpy about how the fiancee talked me into iOS 11 on the iPad when 10 was just better in every single way.

And that notch is ugly and it looks like all the Androids are copying it because Apple did it :negative:

This is insanity

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FCKGW posted:

This is insanity

I had an entire wish list on the appstore which is just gone now because :shrug: also the new appstore is a bitch to navigate, and multitasking changed for the worse imo.

Edit: admittedly I'm probably not the target audience for iAnything because I hate how doing anything just is more complicated than it needs to be.

Len fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 7, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m creating a two week trip itinerary on my iPad and I’m really hitting snags with Pages. I don’t like how it has to be sized like I’m going to print it. I want something I can seamlessly add text, pictures, and draw on with my pencil. Sort of like a bulletin board where I can lasso things and move them around and resize them.

Pages is great for office stuff, but I need something sort of between that and Procreate.

Any suggestions?

E: A more specific thing I want to avoid: in Pages I have to tab over and ‘enter’ a bunch to get text where I want it. I like aspects of old school MSPaint more where I can tap somewhere, add text there, drag a picture in, resize it, then write next to both of those.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 8, 2018

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Sounds like Notability might be more up your street. It still splits documents up into pages, but iirc there’s no gap from page to page so it will probably still work fine for what you needs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Used it for the first time in years and I was blown away at how good GarageBand is on iPad now :popeye:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Used it for the first time in years and I was blown away at how good GarageBand is on iPad now :popeye:

Every time I open it I come up with a great song idea. It’s such a good app now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Kind of makes sense though. In a world where everyone has edge to edge screens it’s tough to have anything visual distinguishing your phone from everyone else. I’ve never really warmed to the notch, but I would take it in a heartbeat if it’s absence meant the iPhone wouldn’t have its uniform edges.

But yeah, it’s pointless on an iPad. The iPad distinguishes itself because every other tablet is terrible and/or an Amazon advertisement.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

iTunes has one job. It's to take music from a computer and put it on an iThing. So why does it never want to do that? I'm trying to sync podcasts and audiobooks and I keep getting "File could not be read" errors despite iTunes playing the file just fine. Please send help

Edit: uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes and now it says it doesn't even recognize my device because the driver isn't installed. I have gone backwards. Why is it easier to download google drive and just download my files direct from there than connecting this thing right to a computer and dragging files over?

Len fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 11, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Len posted:

iTunes has one job. It's to suck as much as possible

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Question - how can I enable dictation while using the Smart Keyboard? I am using a gen1 iPad Pro and have googled around but only found old info about how it was an oversight that Apple didn’t put a keyboard shortcut to enable it (since apparently some other keyboards can do it). Have they still not addressed it? Seems like a big oversight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rio posted:

Question - how can I enable dictation while using the Smart Keyboard? I am using a gen1 iPad Pro and have googled around but only found old info about how it was an oversight that Apple didn’t put a keyboard shortcut to enable it (since apparently some other keyboards can do it). Have they still not addressed it? Seems like a big oversight.

Nothing in an oversight when it comes to Apple. It's all by design to be frustrating and obtuse

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it possible to force lowercase with a keyboard? iOS keeps making the first letter in a sentence capitalized no matter what. I’ve tried holding shift, caps lock, tapping caps lock, etc.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it possible to force lowercase with a keyboard? iOS keeps making the first letter in a sentence capitalized no matter what. I’ve tried holding shift, caps lock, tapping caps lock, etc.

This infuriates me. I end up double typing the letter and deleting the capitalized letter. So stupid.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Settings > General > Keyboard > Auto-Capitalization to "off."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Settings > General > Keyboard > Auto-Capitalization to "off."

Well, poo poo. Should have guessed.

Thanks

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
need to pick up a new iPad, the new cheap one should be fine as my mini 2 is just glacial

*plays with Pro's 120hz screen for 5 minutes*

gently caress

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pinch and zoom on the maps for a few minutes and playing some music over the quad speakers are what convinced me the Pro was the way to go.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

need to pick up a new iPad, the new cheap one should be fine as my mini 2 is just glacial

*plays with Pro's 120hz screen for 5 minutes*

gently caress

Exact same thing happened to me. Happy as hell with the Pro however.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I literally can't tell a difference in the 120mhz screen. Maybe I'm holding it wrong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can definitely tell when I've played with one, but I don't sit looking at my 60 Hz screens thinking I'm missing anything.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I literally can't tell a difference in the 120mhz screen. Maybe I'm holding it wrong.

Are you sure? It’s dang noticeable, maybe you weren’t using a 120hz iPad

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Other than looking really cool, is there a practical advantage for the high refresh rate screen? Like when they went to the Retina display that was an advantage for many productivity purposes as well as looking cool. Is there some specific advantage like the pencil behaving more naturally with a high refresh rate? It certainly looked really nice but when the Pros first came out I opted for the larger one despite the slower refresh rate because there were more practical advantages for me with a larger screen (the biggest one by far that I use it for music reading and having it the size of a sheet of paper surpassed any other benefits it offered).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Halved input lag for the pencil

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Are you sure? It’s dang noticeable, maybe you weren’t using a 120hz iPad

Pretty sure. Went from a 9.7 inch Pro to a 12.9 inch Pro.

Would videos look all weird like soap operas on 120mhz? I always hated that hyper-realism and I've honestly not noticed it when watching movies on the new iPad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Would videos look all weird like soap operas on 120mhz? I always hated that hyper-realism and I've honestly not noticed it when watching movies on the new iPad.
No, that is a result of motion smoothing, a feature iPads don't have as far as I'm aware and can be turned off on literally any 120 Hz TV. Even if that wasn't the case, the 120 Hz iPads also have adaptive refresh to match the content being viewed.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

The soap opera effect is a combination of other things like framerate. Refresh rate just makes it look smoother in motion.

Note that not every piece of media will take advantage of it, but it does make the interface a joy to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Barry posted:

Exact same thing happened to me. Happy as hell with the Pro however.

$1k (can) is just too high for me for something I mainly use as an ebook reader, but drat it just makes the UI so fluid. Really hope this starts to become commonplace in the coming years and is no longer a high-end luxury across phones/tablets/PC's, I find whenever I use one going back to 60hz feels like poo poo.